Yakuza Real-Life Locations Tour - A Comparison of Kabukicho & Kamurocho, Tokyo

TheElecPlay

Excellent series, the sheer extent to which the series goes to replicate the real locations it’s based on is extremely impressive and something that most western, probably even many eastern players won’t be able to fully appreciate. I’m glad people are putting in the effort to document this as to me it’s one of the series greatest strengths and the reason why these games work so well as Japan simulators.

Edited by Happy

On 18/08/2018 at 0:58 AM, Happy said:

Excellent series, the sheer extent to which the series goes to replicate the real locations it’s based on is extremely impressive and something that most western, probably even many eastern players won’t be able to fully appreciate. I’m glad people are putting in the effort to document this as to me it’s one of the series greatest strengths and the reason why these games work so well as Japan simulators.

Appreciate, it Happy. Your comment made me...Happy. (Sorry) 

Persona series also does a good job of portraying Kabukicho in a more surreal way but authenticity is where the Ryu ga Gotoku games shine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

What's great about Kabukicho's Don Quijote is the fact that they always advertise upcoming Ryu ga Gotoku games (they didn't advertise Kiwami 2 unfortunately since there was a nationwide concert tour happening for B'z at the time). Kazuma Kiryu and Majima's cologne put other fragrances to shame.

In fact, during the promotional period for Yakuza 4/Dead Souls and Yakuza 5, Matsuya sold Kiryu and Haruka inspired curry sauce - presumably the exact same curry sauce Kiryu makes for the kids at the Morning Glory orphanage.

• 3 weeks later...

What's odd is the fact that the Godzilla Hotel (Shijuku Gracery) which opened in 2014-2015 and it's the real-life Millennium Tower. In 2012, the area was under construction and it was once part of TOHO CINEMAS/Theater.

2016:

2012:

Edited by noahez92
  • Like 1

You may notice that each episode of the Location Tour series uses background music from one of the many shops/restaurants in the games. Poppo Mart alone has over 20-30 minutes worth of background music in Yakuza 5-Yakuza 0. A lot of care and attention to detail (ableit subtle to the common player) were put into making the game come to life. It took agonizing hours to leave my video capture on standby as I left the game in idle to record the BGM.

• 1 month later...

Gindaco Takoyaki (Highball sakaba) has made its appearance in the Yakuza games since Zero. During Yakuza 6's promotional campaign, customers can order a Dragon of Dojima inspired takoyaki.

Since 2017, Gindaco Takoyaki has branched to international territories including: Malaysia, Hong Kong and Singapore. 

The Karaokekan is a place where locals and tourists can sing their heart out with hundreds of songs ranging from classics to more modern contemporary genres. Although the Karaoke minigame made its debut in Yakuza 3 (龍が如く 3), the Karaokekan can still be seen in the original Yakuza (龍が如く) and Yakuza 2 (龍が如く 2) for the PlayStation 2.

The "Yoshida Batting Center" as it is called in the Yakuza series, is also located in the Hotel District of Kamurocho. It serves as another pivotal location in the series. This is where Kazuma Kiryu confronts everyone's favorite character, Goro Majima after Haruka has been taken hostage in the original Yakuza and the remake, Yakuza Kiwami. In Yakuza 4, it is revealed that the Yoshida Batting Center was once the childhood playground for both Majima and protagonist, Taiga Saejima.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Location Tour Highlights

The Ryu ga Gotoku series is known for providing players a plethora of minigames and side activities. Ryu ga Gotoku 5 is the only game in the series to collaborate with BAGUS - an entertainment hub providing billiards, darts, karaoke and restaurants.ring hospitality and the highest quality of services for all customers.

Edited by noahez92

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One of the collaborations from Ryu ga Gotoku 5 makes a surprising return in Ryu ga Gotoku 7.

Dining Darts Bar Bee and SEGA collaborated during the promotional campaign for Yakuza 5 in December 2012. Bee served ‘Stamina Bee Demi-Glace Omelet Rice’ for visitors while Yakuza fans could enjoy playing a game of darts in one of the five new cities featured in Yakuza 5: Nagasugai, Fukuoka.

Dining Bee: Darts & Bar

Edited by noahez92

Yakuza 5 Remastered releases next week in the West.

Hard to believe Ryu ga Gotoku 5 released 8 years ago. Getting a chance to travel to Kabukicho, visiting the main locations of where the games took place and being able to share them with the world, was something I wanted to do to bring more exposure to the series in the West.

• 4 weeks later...

Yakuza Remastered collection is available in the West. There's also a Traditional Chinese version coming out in March for importers out there.

Highlights:

When playing Yakuza 3, Kiryu will be introduced to the HLA (Honest Living Association) to track down hitmen in Kamurocho and Okinawa. I visited the exact location where Kamuro Castle is located in the game/s. Kamuro Castle is a restuarant/HLA hideout but in real-life it's a love hotel. 

• 1 month later...

It is with deep sadness that I announce the Ryu ga Gotoku Locations Tour 2020 has been cancelled due to the pandemic. I was planning on visiting Osaka, Dotonbori this time around since I pretty much covered Kabukicho (Kamurocho). A shame, but it was fun while it lasted. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ryu ga Gotoku (Yakuza) Locations Tour Untold:

Shortly after the recording of the Theater Square episode, a horde of activists appeared carrying giant signs. I couldn't decipher what they were saying since the their shouts and yells were cacophonous. It got to the point where the police were involved - there were at least four police cars surrounding the theater square. I wanted to record this as it almost felt like a sub story in a Yakuza game. 

Ryu ga Gotoku Locations Tour Untold: The Ryu ga Gotoku Gindaco Takoyaki campaign was offered for a limited time during the Ryu ga Gotoku 6 promotional period. If you tweeted a picture of yourself with the Kazuma Kiryu face mask, you could be invited to the launch of the game or win a free copy of the game. The ‘Premium Takoyaki Hashed Beef Truffle Set’ was pretty good. I stole the face mask, but that's just between you and me.