Character Design Contest (July 2018) - Starts today!

Hello!! Bienvenidos, Dobrodošli and Welcome! ^^

OVERVIEW This contest is for the designers out there in PSNP land! Each round I will post a theme, along with some backstory and a few sketches. Create a character that fits the theme, through writing and visual media. Artists who prefer painting, 3d-modeling, etc. should at least type a description. Writers who prefer dialogue, profiling / backstory should at least sketch something. Prizes will be awarded by depth of character and how close they fit the theme. That's pretty much it, enjoy this month's challenge, and have fun!! ^_^ 

helldivers_02.jpg?w=1200

THE CHALLENGE (July 2018) Create a character who spreads "Managed Democracy", by any means necessary!!

All characters must be some form of "Cap Trooper", soldiers dropped from orbit via capsules.. Consult Starship Troopers (the Book not movie), Helldivers, and Halo ODST for inspiration. They can be good, evil, whatever; just so long as "Freedom" is maintained by force! In honor of Tesla's birthday (July 10th), bonus points for using energy weapons..

THEME: Mobile Infantry, Future Tech, Dystopia

AXIOM: "Freedom isn't Free, it's MANDATORY"

Details: Regardless of Universe, all Cap Troopers have several things in common: Armour, Space travel, and Drop ships. Armour can be simple (Helldivers), advanced (Fallout 4 Power Armour) or very advanced (Full blown Mechs). Space travel can be local, between star systems, or exotic; doesn't matter to me. Drop ships are a major deal to Cap Troopers. They traverse the Galaxy, drop descent pods into combat zones, and retrieve survivors from those zones.  Troopers also live on them for weeks to years at a time between locations. All ships have names, either from famous people, monumental events, epic battles or just quirky garbage; I won't specify which your character is from.

Most troopers have a home world, but I imagine plenty are pure Spacers too (born on ships, asteroids, space stations). All belong to some kind of unit though. Can be an SST format platoon (56?), modern style SF team (12ish), Gundam style team (5ish), etc. As with ships, all units have a formal name (C co 3rd 505th PIR), and most have a nickname, such as "Rico's Roughnecks, "Third Herd", or "The Wreckers". All of which is food for thought - characters can be rich, poor, elite, common, whatever - the details are only limited by your creativity!

Start date: July 4th, 2018
Last Call: July 24th, 2018

Entries must be received by Tuesday, July 24th. (midnight Pacific time). I will post finalists on Friday, 27th; giving our judges the entire weekend to ponder and deliberate the champion of each category. Should we get two champion level visuals and no writings, I'll give each visual the prize (and vice versa). Also, if a person enters their character early, and wants to improve upon the design by/on July 24th that is cool too (either here or by email). Nothing is set in stone until the deadline! Feel free to sign up whenever.

Decision: July 31st, 2018

Judge: Danielle Cuculic (no PSN)

Judge: Daniel Lashinsky (no PSN)

Judge: Kihry, undead-slayer34

Judge: Roslynn, Raven_Dancer

Judge: Orion, Bojuka76

Best Visual: +$(TBA) PSN Card, Large bound sketchbook (paper of your choice)

Best Writing: +$(TBA) PSN Card, Copy of Robert A. Heinlein's Starship Troopers
Finalist: $10 PSN Card, "Democratic Champion" signed print, by (special guest)

List of Participants

check back soon!

ce737e6512c4786f9100443c801e6ddb.jpg

Contact Info
[email protected]
PSN ID: Teslacron_Prime

Thanks for visiting, and

GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!

Edited by Teslacron_Prime
  • Like 3

(Example One - Visual Entry)

female_ecm_pilot_by_teslacron-d4zo7oc.jp

Evelyn Black

Ship: HMS Delilah

Unit: Blake's Blackguard
Role: ECM (Electronic Countermeasures)
Attributes: Athletic, Headstrong, Idealist
Notes: Considered aloof to some and a bit naive to others, occasional fits of jealousy. Left home early, never settled long after. Most days she's spent in one place since childhood is the HMS Delilah.
Faith: Mormon

(Example Two - Written Entry)

Chapter One

The young woman tread lightly, her footing sure and confident.  The stone complex was silent. Not sound nor mark betrayed her target. She occasionally took notice of the many glyphs carved into the massive granite slabs. These glyphs displayed an eternal struggle, the Endless Hunt. A thousand years of memory lined these walls, more then she could ever hope to process. 

Sacred history does little to calm ones mind in the midst of surviving it though, and she gripped her spear tightly. That was what mattered now. Her blades, wits, and movement. Not some dusty art. The air swirled. A wisp of acid burned her nose. She inhaled deeply, let the burning sensation move to her lungs. She felt empowered by it. Her Prey was close.

A primordial scream filled the complex, echoed through her body. Goose pimples rippled her skin. The Seeker could not tell whether it came from before or behind her, so loud the scream was. The attack came from above. 

The creature dropped from the ceiling. The woman rolled hard and stood quickly, facing her assailant. It hissed loudly, diluted spittle burned her skin. She jabbed with her spear to drive it back. The creature side stepped, lashed out with it's sickle like tail. She was ready for this, dodged it effortlessly, brought her knife up in one smooth motion. The end of it's tail was rent asunder. It screamed at her and lashed out with tooth and claw.

She rolled again but could not avoid the raking foot. Searing pain tore through her back. Warm blood flowed. The Aberration spun, following her every motion. Acid spun with it, spurting from it's wound. Her leg sizzled, and she smiled in a very peculiar way.

"HIYACHI TOKOGANDU DATE NATSUKO!!!" She screamed, driving her spear into the creature's throat. It fell backward and she followed through, allowing it to flip her over. Catlike she rolled out of the maneuver to face her opponent once more. It was clawing at it's own body like a mental patient, tearing new wounds with every attempt. With certainty the young woman un-holstered an ancient revolver. She squeezed the trigger thrice, the head of her prey was torn to chunks. The force of the .45 ACP slugs threw it's body into the wall. 

With eyes burning the woman stood before her slain opponent. She watched it spasm. 20 seconds later the twitches stopped. The halls filled once again with a scream, a battle hymn to the victorious. Adrenaline surging and soul alight, the young woman holstered her big iron, picked up the makeshift spear.  She continued moving deeper into the complex and smiled.

An hour later the young woman took pause. She was lost, and her leg was throbbing terribly. The deserter had to be in one of these corridors, there was simply no other place to go. Natsuko took a breath, and focused. She considered his motivation. Why would someone abandon their Power Armour on a hostile planet? Strange enough, but he also took the Fusion Core that gave it life. Command required someone recover the assets, specifically a scout adept at working alone. Natsuko relentlessly tracked him for three days; eventually discovering this Temple, hidden deep within the forest.

In this place her Armour would be a hindrance. The structure itself was ancient, crumbling, and overgrown with foliage. Her suit could easily break through floors, trapping her forever. Not to mention the echoing sound of motors and metal would alert her quarry. Perhaps that was why he had abandoned his own expression? She had detected signs of Aberrations early, but a Cap Trooper is well versed in all forms of combat. "Its not the weapon that makes the Gunslinger.." She smiled again, gripped her spear, and continued..

Natsuko smelled water, instinctively heading toward it. A cough. She froze. A light moan settled upon the air. The Seeker crouched and walked as a bear, into a small atrium lit by glowing algae. Water trickled through cracks in the stone, forming a small pool. Centuries after the Temple was built a sculptor had seen fit to create an outline around this pool, and perhaps 6 inches of water now stood. An offering to both predator and prey.

Within this hollow, beneath carved relief of the victorious, a dying man now sat. The Deserter. Natsuko studied him for a moment, then entered the room.

"Who.. Who's there?" the man struggled softly.

Natsuko said nothing, moved silently to the pool of water. It smelled wonderful, contrasting such rancid odor of the man's evacuated bowels. 

"Please.. Help me." he begged, clutching his chest. Blood seeped from what used to be his eyes. They had been torn out.

Quickly she cut a large swatch from her shirt and set it to the side. She washed the acid from her burning leg. These scars would be carried proudly for many years.

The man began to weep softly as Natsuko bandaged her leg with the swatch of red cloth. She cut another for the gash on her back. With the needs of skin attended too, she drank from the spring, washed her face. Only then did the Seeker approach the dying man.

She quickly took stock of the his possessions. The fusion core was among them, in a leather satchel. Natsuko gently removed the bag, and the man began to sob. She tenderly brushed his hair back, uttered a soothing noise her mother had used so many years ago. The man stopped shuddering, relaxed somewhat against the wall. 

The sound of an ancient revolver echoed heavily throughout the complex twisting passages. It reverberated to the heart of the Temple, where unbeknownst to Natsuko, an equally ancient Evil began to stir..

(to be continued)

Adapted from Jessica's "Tale of the Queenslayer"

This is amazing, I can't wait to see all the creative flair from artistic souls on here.

Unfortunately my visual abilities are limited to stick-men and even then they are usually missing a limb. As for writing it's usually a miracle when I can string together a coherent sentence, let alone one infused with creativity.

Good luck everyone!

Edited by Zolkovo
  • Like 1

Keep up the good work guys. Remember I like boobs and cleavages. Make sure to include in your great designs ok? I luv you all.

I like it, I think it's very cool, but my biggest problem is to have enough time to create ? I am currently painting 2 projects for an exibition in a gallery in my town so I can only promise that I'll try to do, not knowing i can make it in the end! ?

Anyway great project ?I hope more artists in the community embrace it :)

• Like 1

R2Yg3F7.png

Capsule lady came from a capsule that came from a capsule.  Nobody knows which came first.  She fell to Earth in search of the one.  A being of great importance that will one day wear a ring in a volcano.  The one goes by the Earth name of Keanu Reeves. He is said to be traveling with 3 other dudes in a car called the Regalia.  Capsule lady must fight off hordes of mutant beings known only as boys.  Little god like creatures that carry bows and arrows and get quite annoying at times.  In order to rescue Keanu Reeves from the BOY!  Capsule lady must fight the god of war, Kramer.  Kramer is extremely dangerous and will bust through the door at any given moment.  Capsule lady must be careful.  The end.

Spoiler

this is just a joke meant to be funny.  I will try to submit something serious when I get some time.  

Edited by angelgrievous
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, BG_painter said:

I like it, I think it's very cool, but my biggest problem is to have enough time to create 1f61e.png I am currently painting 2 projects for an exibition in a gallery in my town so I can only promise that I'll try to do, not knowing i can make it in the end! 1f623.png

The issue of time is real, I'm thinking we may have to at least run this round through July 31st, will see how it goes.

3 hours ago, Kristycism said:

This is awesome, I'd love to take part in this in future rounds :) futuristic designs are probably my worst category so I'll skip this round but if you ever do more rounds in the future, you can count me in :)

Thanks for your interest! Fantasy will probably be next, I'll keep you posted.. :) Also curious to know what your best categories are!

@angelgrievous wtf lol.. sooo, should I add you to the participants then? Or wait.. x)
Edit: Also, there was nothing about freedom.. Sword of Democratic Blessings, perhaps.. or Gauntlets of LiberTea >.> 
c'mon man are you communist or something?? Would expect better Murican garbage today of all days..

Edited by Teslacron_Prime
  • Like 2

As a creative soul myself, this all sounds like an amazing idea. I’d definitely like to put in a submission if I get the time. Work is consuming the majority of my time right now though, so no promises. If I do get around to it, I was just wondering, can I do both a visual and writing? I don’t need to be considered for both prizes, I just want to have some fun merging the two.

29 minutes ago, ddracarys said:

As a creative soul myself, this all sounds like an amazing idea. I’d definitely like to put in a submission if I get the time. Work is consuming the majority of my time right now though, so no promises. If I do get around to it, I was just wondering, can I do both a visual and writing? I don’t need to be considered for both prizes, I just want to have some fun merging the two.

Hey thanks! No worries, i know how it goes. So far as categories, you can freely combine visual and writing to any degree!  Actually, I think we'll let the winners choose what extras they want anyway (no reason to give a novel someone wont read, or a sketchbook they won't draw in lol). All cool. In any case, both prizes won't go to one person :) 

• Like 1