DragonQuest238's Platinum Cat Shrine: My Platinum Trophy List

Really long update but my checklist stays up to date even if I didn't post. I have popped up to Platinum #36. Planning on Dark Cloud being my 40th platinum. I will try to make Disgaea 5 my 50th platinum, I only need one more trophy for that game.

Games I plan on working on in the future, other than those in my projects:

• Day of the Tentacle Remastered
  • forma.8 (to add another letter to my alphabet soup)
  • LEGO Harry Potter Years 1-4 (because I need to plat that before I plat 5-7)

Games I am going to platinum when they come out:

• Dragon Quest XI (I need to platinum a Dragon Quest game to show my username is legit)
  • Spyro 1-3 (when it eventually comes out)

If you don't mind a little chaos in the original Dragon Warrior, here is a link to a Dragon Warrior Randomizer, where everything is random. It might give a fresh look to the original Dragon Warrior. I can't wait for Dragon Quest XI, but I liked Dragon Quest IX the best and hope they do a HD remake for the Switch. Not that I disrespect any of the Dragon Quest games. Dragon Warrior IV was the first one I ever played and I loved it. Of the old school ones, my favorite is Dragon Warrior III. :)

Edited by DragonQuest238

I finally got the Disgaea 5 platinum! ^_^

I know the Disgaea fans will pan me for copping out by platinuming the 'easiest' Disgaea, but that last trophy was hell. I had a lot of trouble getting past the last Carnage stage you need to clear to get to the Carnage Dark fight, but it was worth it. I finally pumped up my Sage, Esmee, to 25 million in stats with enough Asagi extracts to get her strong enough to withstand the attacks in the last stage. Now I can take a break, playing The Sims 4 and what not on the computer and then getting some more easy plats until #50. ;)

Also got the Shantae Half-Genie Hero platinum. Removed the game because you don't need a New Game+ save to do the DLC content 100% run and I am seriously considering calling it done and dusted since the DLC is very mean at times. (I still can't get the trophy for dodging Skye's seagull missile for a minute because I have slow reaction time :().

In better news, I have decided to bite the bullet and try to platinum Shantae and the Pirate's Curse. Having beaten the game on Switch, I enjoyed it a lot and now I was able to clear some stuff I couldn't before so it's not as baneful as it was in the past year. :)

• 3 weeks later...

baddog.PNG

So I finally platinumed POWGI and my next Trophophobia entry. Good riddance to that bad dog. His jokes were boring and so were the word searches. I am so grateful I did this on Vita because the PS4 version would have been murder. Like Cassy, I am going to get rid of my puzzle games and not do another puzzle game. (Well, maybe Pix-A-Pix Color; I've played similar puzzles in several Artifex Mundi titles. And when I said get rid, I meant platinum. Fill-A-Pix is up next and I only need to complete all of the other pages, I have two completed.)

Since the Devil Dawg was my 57th conquest, and boy howdy was it a trek, I have only two more games to plat before my 60th landmark. The candidates for my 60th platinum include:

• Dark Cloud (A PS2 classic, already at the third hub area but haven't entered the dungeon yet)
  • Ratchet and Clank (the PS4 movie retelling, I really did enjoy going through two plays of the story for this game)
  • Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus (this is probably my favorite PS3 Ratchet and Clank but I might try to plat Going Commando again for fun)
  • A Hat In Time (I only have a few more miscellaneous trophies and I have to get the rest of the Time Pieces, but considering that the stuff I saw of this game never touched Alpine Peak I might have to give this a pass for a bit longer, the Perfect Parade trophy annoyed the **** out of me)
Edited by DragonQuest238

Dragon-Quest-Heroes2.jpg
Dragon Questapalooza!

After playing through a bit of Dragon Quest XI and earned four trophies(three story and one miscellaneous), I decided to start over but with a twist. Before I can earn the platinum of this game I have to challenge myself to master all of the Dragon Quest games that it descended from. Dragon Quest is my favorite JRPG series and I want to show my loyalty by mastering every game that led up to Echoes of an Elusive Age., so before I start playing Dragon Quest XI from the beginning, here are my goals(which I will try to capture and post here). (Note that some of these will be captured from emulators as locating the devices and cartridges is a very tough task. I don't condone emulation except for personal entertainment.)

• Dragon Warrior I & II (Gameboy Color): Defeat the final boss and be equipped with the best equipment and be at a really high level.
  • Dragon Warrior III (Gameboy Color): Defeat the GrandDragon and earn all gold monster medals in the game.
  • Dragon Quest IV: Chapters of the Chosen - Defeat the post-game final boss with the secret character on my team.
  • Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride - Defeat the post-game secret boss with only one human character
  • Dragon Quest VI: Realms of Revelation - Defeat the secret post-game boss with all levels maxed and equipment to ultimate form using one monster
  • Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of a Forgotten Age - Recruit the secret Haven member and get the secret post-game characters
  • Dragon Quest VIII: Journey of the Cursed King (3DS) - Recruit both new characters and use them to clear the Dragovanian trials fully.
  • Dragon Quest IX: Sentinels of the Starry Skies - Obtain a full set of unique Legacy Gear for all four of my characters

I know this will mean I won't get the platinum for Dragon Quest XI until 2019, but that's okay as I plan on it being my 100th platinum. ^_^

25 minutes ago, DragonQuest238 said:

. Dragon Quest is my favorite JRPG series

:o  And here I was thinking that Kingdom Hearts was your favorite JRPG series.

Good luck with your Dragon Quest journey.  I noticed that Dragon Quest Heroes wasn't on your list, any reason (aside from them not being mainline games)?

1 minute ago, Mesopithecus said:

I noticed that Dragon Quest Heroes wasn't on your list, any reason (aside from them not being mainline games)?

I am only doing mainline games for this ordeal because I won't be speedrunning the games so they will take a few months to get to completion. I do intend to work on Dragon Quest Heroes and Heroes II on and off. I've already reached Collosia in the first Dragon Quest Heroes.

d1.png

One game down, nine more to go. I got to max level on the game by grinding Metalys(aka Metal Slimes) in the mountains south of Mercado/Cantlin. They were more consistent there than they would be near Rimuldar. I did use a Game Shark code to get infinite MP but since I am emulating I am letting myself use cheats with some restrictions: I won't use cheats to get the ultimate equipment for my parties. I may doctor their experience grind to speed up the training but I will not give them a free lunch with equipment, they have to do that themselves. ;)

There were very slim pickings for this game, though, so I gave the Hero infinite MP since it would make grinding so much easier and keep me from dying all of the time. Don't worry: Even though I have save states and cheat codes for DQ1-6 and DQ9(I could buy a cheap copy of the game for DS but then I'd have to buy another DS and I am saving my next month's cash for Dragon Quest VIII 3DS digital download), I won't have that luxury with the other games - DQ7 and DQ8 will be the 3DS remakes and you know what DQXI is for. :)

drqu2.png

That's Game for Dragon Warrior II. I do admit to using an experience Gameshark code at the end because the Metalbabbles are only in Hargon's castle and usually accompanied by Magi or Gigantes which do a lot of damage. What was weird was that the first prince shot up to Level 130, but the Princess was stuck at Level 35. I guess the game didn't understand how the system worked, eh? :P

Going to rest a bit. The first two games were easy to get 100% on because you just had to beat the game. In the next few games you are expected to fight secret bosses, and the next game, Dragon Warrior III for Gameboy Color, requires me to get all of the gold medals for all 165 monsters in the game. Luckily some of them can be earned by beating the first secret boss. ;)

Dragon Questapalozza update:

medal24.png

I completed forgot how rare monster medals in Dragon Warrior III for the Gameboy are. Even with save state manipulation, it takes ten minutes for a medal to drop and RNG is not on my side. In the time it took from bootup and creating my hero to this picture, my 24th gold medal, it took 24 hours. I decided to get the Metaly grind out of the way. I have decided to back down and just focus on getting the Rubiss Sword(earned by defeating the second secret boss, Grand Dragon, which requires you to get the bronze and silver medals of the first 155 monsters on the list to open doors in the secret second post-game dungeon).

My companions for this game are the Girl Crew, a full team of female characters. My hero, CJ, is female, as are her three companions: A Dealer and Jester who became Sages at Level 20(the Dealer used the Zen Book and Jesters unlock the right to become Sages at Level 20 but they are so random; my jester bunny girl fell asleep 50% of the time in battle), and I am training a Priest to Level 30 to get some nice Intelligence boosts so she has some decent MP when she loses half of it and never gains anymore once she becomes a Warrior.

So I have finally platinumed my 60th game. I wished it had been something more impressive than LEGO Batman 3 for the Vita but I have a policy of never leaving a game out to rent for longer than a week. That's why I don't rent longer games. However...

catulamedal.png

I'm up to 46 gold medals! Actually, I have a few more, but they are out of order.

I've decided that my journey needs to be a bit shorter so I am revising my goals for each game. While I will try to 100% the games on my own time, I won't hold the whole trip forward just to get 165 golden medals. Therefore, here are my new goals for Dragon Quest III-IX. (I put it in spoilers for those who want to avoid the final boss spoilers.)

Spoiler

Dragon Quest III: Beat Zoma, get into post-game, and beat Divinegon once and get his first wish.

Dragon Quest IV: Beat the secret dungeon, get special flower of life, revive Psaro's girlfriend and use her to pull a Corvus and get him in my team. :P

Dragon Quest V: Beat Estark with a party of just the hero's kids and two slimes. (There is no secret dungeon.)

Dragon Quest VI: Clear the secret dungeon and beat Darkdrium with a party of three slimes aiding the hero.

Dragon Quest IX: Defeat all of the Legacy Bosses from Dragon Quest 1-4 at Level 1.

Dragon Quest VII: Defeat the Almighty once and get his first wish.

Dragon Quest VIII: Defeat the Dragovian Lord once and get the True Jessica Ending.

For those wondering, yes, 9 was moved before 7. This is because Dragon Quest IX was also on the DS, so I can emulate it and cheat on it, therefore it will be put with the DS titles. 7 and 8(which I will purchase in October) are 3DS so I can't cheat with them so they will take considerably longer.

And of course, that leads to getting the Platinum for Dragon Quest XI at the end after all of the above goals are met.

Starting to play through √Letter on the Vita(which I rented) right now. I just completed Chapter 1 and got the first two trophies. I'm assured that it will not take very long but I will probably be reading/playing it a lot. The Max Mode is an interesting fun mini-game thing that doesn't detract from the game. It probably won't be my 61st platinum but it will be before #65. ^_^

Two new platinums today.

L21c1d7.png61

Disney meets point-and-click. Well, not really, I doubt that old Walt's ghost was the ghostwriter for this title but the art style shows. :P I followed an old video guide for this and knocked it out quickly. Some trophies rely on good timing with the inventory system which is a bit wonky but otherwise good.

Lab5083.png62

An unholy love child of Kirby's Adventure and Super Meat Boy Forever(the game where Meat Boy auto-runs and you can't do anything but make him jump and punch, only you can only jump here) and it's even more cute!

However, I feel like the game was TOO easy. I saw it's the second most platinumed game next to Nubla. I got tricked and wasted half an hour playing up to World 3-2 only to find that you don't need to do any stages past World 1-20. The game is a joy to play and nice and relaxing after some hard Philuzzles or Root Letter madness, and you respawn after you die(which you need to do for a trophy) but I think the trophy list was too small. The game was fun and good but the trophy list was horrible. If they had replaced the "clear a world" with eight trophies for clearing each world, it would have been more involved and a bit more frsutrating. (I was already having to struggle with crumbling blocks in World 3 and started dying a lot, I bet World 8-20 would be a nightmare. :P)

I think that whoever came up with the list decided they wanted to sell the game to eight-year olds and knew that little kids would insult their game and throw it away if they had to clear all 160 levels which get harder and harder as you go. Oh, the makers of this game are going to be wealthy... because everyone who has a trophy list will spend the $5 for this game. That's $5xINFINITY. Lucky for the game, it is cute enough to not be an insult to my senses, unlike Mr. Massagy, which is a dating sim I will never play even if platinuming that game was the only way to save my pregnant little sister from being killed by a firing squad. (I joke, I love my sister Ruth Ann a lot, I really do! ;))

L642a24.png63

I am not really a fanboy of visual novels, aka the Japanese version of digital Choose Your Own Adventure books. Still not after playing this game, but I now respect people who earn a ton of visual novel platinums because the plot of this title is very deep and is similar to a mystery novel, which I enjoy reading. Since most of visual novels are in Japanese writing, I can't play them. I'm not saying that I couldn't try to master Japanese katakana or hiranga, it's just that I don't do well studying foreign languages(just ask my 7th grade French teacher! xD).

However, this game is the first visual novel that has been localized that I have played. I have platinumed X-BLAZE LOST: MEMORIES, but there were dungeon crawling elements in them and it was a half-arsed remake of X-BLAZE CODE: EMBYRO, which I didn't want to play. This title is, in my honest opinion, a true visual novel involving the investigation of your penpal who sends you a letter saying that she committed murder and you decide to go investigate her hometown to find out what the truth is. The ending you get range from horror to happy ending.

I did miss a trophy after getting all five endings because, for some reason, some of the letter replies did not register the first time, but it was all good. I recommend you check this out if you are interested in starting up a visual novel library. :)

zdead.png

Finally decided to abandon my original plan and go for just beating the final bosses of each game as done and done, because I found that metal hunting in Dragon Warrior III for the Gameboy was not fun, even with RNG manipulation, and I wanted to just watch Twitchhighspirits some more. :(

So after a week of ruthless metal hunting(I did get 97 gold medals, though), I brought the Demon King down. He almost killed my warrior Kate, but I managed to keep everyone healed. With two Sages with Healus, it was not too threatening. BaramosGonus was tougher as his attacks did a lot of damage even when I buffed my defense twice.

dq3finalstats.png

Final stats for the party. I might jump back into the game from time to time to hunt metals or do the post-game stuff, but I am basically done for this game.

Forgot to update my Dragon Questapalooza yesterday, when I did this, but...

psarodead.png
4/9 final bosses down for the count :P

Dragon Quest IV's old NES dub, Dragon Warrior IV, was my very first RPG I ever beat. Yes, that's shocking eh? Me, the guy who people say hates a challenge, beating an old-school NES RPG that had an insane encounter rate and difficulty spikes up the wazoo. To be fair, I got wiped twice to the old Necrosaro(yes, that was his name in the dub) because I didn't realize that the Zenithian Dragon gave my sword a power to DISPEL BOUNCE. :(

But it was a fun game and I will never forget the time I was surprised when I killed my first King Metal Slime. ^_^

In this remake, I cheated a bit with a Action Replay code that makes every normal attack you do a critical hit. This made all of the Metal Slime family die in one hit. I did have a few times when they ran away but when they didn't, free EXP. :D

Next up, Dragon Quest V. I intend to have a slime be a permanent part of my party there no matter what.

(Didn't post final stats but Alena was my strongest character at Level 62.)

Edited by DragonQuest238

L9a41ee.png69

In the non-envious number that is sex slang(I won't say any more as, well, it's sexual slang), comes in Donut County, which I bought this morning with my dwindling bank funds.(That means a price freeze until the day after tomorrow, but I'll live. I need to start work on #70.)

I loved playing Katamari Damacy and We <3 Katamari on PS2 but found the King of all Cosmos...

134222-we-love-katamari-playstation-2-sc

Well, a little bit of a mean father. :(

This game is a lot more cheerful and involves raccoons using phone apps to suck up things with holes which grow bigger as stuff is sucked up, similar to how the Katamari grew bigger as you rolled up more stuff. If you don't want to deal with the King of The Cosmos blasting you with his laser eyes because you didn't meet quota in time, well, this is the game for you - no time limit, and the trophies are mostly easy except for a couple. :)