Beauty vs Beast - A Trophy Hunting Competition

Who are you supporting?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you supporting?

I liked how eigen-space introduced you both, guys; its a good writting for sure.

Its hard to take a side, I liked both participants profiles and taste in games. Zolkovo is someone cool you see often in the community and has a really interesting new account, even newer than mine... But this time I gotta go with the Beast because she has all those RPGs, indie games and non platinum games. 

I have a question for both participants.

Beauty, is there a reason for not having 100% games in your profile? I mean games without a platinum trophy. I cant tell if its something you avoid or if you just havent the chance to pick some 100%s up, your account is pretty new anyway ?

Beast, what is the criteria when choosing any indie game and any RPG to play? Mine would be art style and battle system, if I had to answer.

Good luck, guys. Have fun. ?

Edited by GravityQueeen
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, GravityQueeen said:

[...] Beauty, is there a reason for not having 100% games in your profile? I mean games without a platinum trophy. I cant tell if its something you avoid or if you just havent the chance to pick some 100%s up, your account is pretty new anyway 1f914.png [...]

Acute observation :P I play a lot of indies and non-plat games on either xbox or PC. It kinda just happened with the plats only but at this point I'm actively trying to keep it that way. I can't think of any amazing Sony exclusive non-plats that I'm missing out on, can you?

Edited by Zolkovo
  • Like 1

Now you got me, Zolkovo! Anyone could list several amazing non-platinum ps4 games, but once you said Sony exclusives... Only thing I can think of is the free to play Let it Die.

Can you believe I have it downloaded and Im about to try it out since May on an alternate account?! I think playing hundreds of hours of that game and having it done, no plat and some miserable hundreds psn points, would be the epitome of beeing a badass trophy hunter! Hahaha If I enjoy a game I go for it no matter difficulty or time to complete. But still gotta try Let it Die out. I learned that sometimes we simply love a weird or bad game, my Drawn to Death affair comes to mind.

I will let you know if I find good ps4 exclusives with no plat!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zolkovo said:

Acute observation :P I play a lot of indies and non-plat games on either xbox or PC. It kinda just happened with the plats only but at this point I'm actively trying to keep it that way. I can't think of any amazing Sony exclusive non-plats that I'm missing out on, can you?

I can think of one: Journey.

Anyway, good luck you two!

Edited by ladynadiad
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, GravityQueeen said:

I liked how eigen-space introduced you both, guys; its a good writting for sure.

I can't take all the credit for that. Zolkovo wrote most of the intro content ;)

9 hours ago, GravityQueeen said:

Beast, what is the criteria when choosing any indie game and any RPG to play? Mine would be art style and battle system, if I had to answer.

I have my staple series for JRPGs-- Final Fantasy, Tales of, Atelier-- so if there's ever a new title there, it's pretty much a given that I'll pick it up. I also really like Gust and Bandai-Namco so I'll pay attention to their new releases as well... sometimes Square too, but they've declined over the years imo.

As far as indie games (or really any other game), I'll definitely judge the book by the cover, so to speak. I tend not to buy most games at full price (aside from the ones mentioned above-- those are all pre-ordered) but I look though all sales that pop up on PSN. If the game's name and cover art catch my eye, I'll watch a YouTube video or two to see if I'll like the gameplay.

I've also bought a couple games due to seeing good things said about them on this site, like Danganronpa, The Wolf Among Us, Asdivine Hearts, and Code Realize.

Edited by eigen-space
  • Like 1

@Mesopithecus, I don't really have a strong opinion on dungeon crawlers. I certainly don't mind the mechanics of dungeon crawlers so I won't shy away from them, but I was finding the story to be lacking for both of the titles, more so for Ray Gigant than Dungeon Travelers 2. Ray Gigant was an interesting premise that I wish they fleshed out more... DT2's story isn't anything super interesting or complex, which is fine. I do like that they both had turn-based combat... I'm a huge fan of turn-based combat and am kind of sad at the more action-based combat that's coming out of a lot of JRPGs these days.

I plan to get around to finishing DT2 before the end of the year... just got side tracked around the holidays last year since I couldn't play this one around all the little kids in my extended family (who really like to watch the games I play xD).

Any good recommendations for dungeon crawlers? I'm open to checking them out.

@eigen-space I definitely understand what you mean with Ray Gigant.  I wasn't really fond of how it jumped to another set of characters and started you back off at low levels again.  I've not experienced DT2 but I have heard that the kill grind can be a bit of a chore.

As for recommendations, definitely Mary Skelter.  It has a decent story and the gameplay is fun, as long as you don't mind a bit of fan service.  I'm playing Demon Gaze at the moment which is also great so far, really vibrant and colorful and allows you to customize your characters a bit more.  Both are turn based too.

I keep meaning to replay the Atelier games on this account, I did Totori and Meruru on my old profile and enjoyed them.  I know you enjoy the series and seeing you talk about them has made me want to play them again ^_^

@Mesopithecus, I have Mary Skelter in my backlog already. I'm not a huge fan of fan service, but it's not a deterrent either (Dungeon Travelers 2 is pretty much only fan service, which is why I couldn't play it in front of all the nieces, nephews, etc xD). Demon Gaze isn't in my backlog, so I'll keep an eye out for it when it goes on sale.

Did you play the original versions or the Plus versions for Atelier? I definitely preferred the Plus versions because their NG+ has better carryovers and they don't require as much save-state management since you can choose your endings from the ones you've triggered (rather than going off of whichever one is the game's priority), and the additional content they throw into them make it worth the purchase if they aren't the ones you own. Regardless, let me know how you like them when you go back to them!

I'll post in this thread how the grind for DT2 goes. I'm wondering if it's going to be more or less tedious than the FFIX kill grind... you can definitely get more enemies per battle in DT2 but it is double the amount of kills so.... yeah... not looking forward to that so much ?

1 minute ago, eigen-space said:

@Mesopithecus, I have Mary Skelter in my backlog already. I'm not a huge fan of fan service, but it's not a deterrent either (Dungeon Travelers 2 is pretty much only fan service, which is why I couldn't play it in front of all the nieces, nephews, etc xD). Demon Gaze isn't in my backlog, so I'll keep an eye out for it when it goes on sale.

Did you play the original versions or the Plus versions for Atelier? I definitely preferred the Plus versions because their NG+ has better carryovers and they don't require as much save-state management since you can choose your endings from the ones you've triggered (rather than going off of whichever one is the game's priority), and the additional content they throw into them make it worth the purchase if they aren't the ones you own. Regardless, let me know how you like them when you go back to them!

I'll post in this thread how the grind for DT2 goes. I'm wondering if it's going to be more or less tedious than the FFIX kill grind... you can definitely get more enemies per battle in DT2 but it is double the amount of kills so.... yeah... not looking forward to that so much ?

Can confirm, Mary Skelter is fantastic. It might be the best game I've played this year. Demon Gaze is on sale right now actually for $7 or $8 (don't remember which) xD.

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

Can confirm, Mary Skelter is fantastic. It might be the best game I've played this year. Demon Gaze is on sale right now actually for $7 or $8 (don't remember which) xD.

Here I was all proud of myself for staying under $50 during this sale. If the game is recommended by both of you, I know it should be pretty good so I'm not too disappointed by going over :D 

Just now, eigen-space said:

Here I was all proud of myself for staying under $50 during this sale. If the game is recommended by both of you, I know it should be pretty good so I'm not too disappointed by going over :D 

@Dragon-Archon has also said it's really great so there's another recommendation. :P 

@eigen-space It was the original versions of the Atelier games I played, but I had heard that the Plus versions were superior.  When I get round to playing them again I intend on doing the Plus versions, hoping I have a better time with Meruru as I had some time management issues the first time around.

Your choice of games for Zolkovo is excellent and I really hope he chooses Atelier Sophie, will definitely be checking back in during the competition to see the reviews :D

19 hours ago, eigen-space said:

Zolkovo's suggestions for eigen: BioShock, L.A. NoireSaint's Row 3, The Witcher 3, Tomb Raider, Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Eigen's suggestions for Zolkovo: Atelier Sophie, Final Fantasy XII, Final Fantasy Type-0, Tales of Berseria, Valiant Hearts, Zero Escape: The Nonary Games

All of these games are really good suggestions but the ones in bold are the ones I think you should play the most, especially Witcher 3 and The Nonary Games. 

@Mesopithecus, @Kent Thanks for those recommendations, it's really appreciated. I had already bought Tales of Berseria and FF12 but was a little bit stuck for my third choice. I may just go ahead and pick up both Atelier Sophie and Zero Escape now and forfeit the 3x multiplier on the lowest scoring of all those :P

22 hours ago, ladynadiad said:

I can think of one: Journey.

That's actually a great shout! I'll pick it up on one of the sales at some point and play it on a throwaway account :)

Edited by Zolkovo

On 7/8/2018 at 6:19 AM, eigen-space said:

On 7/8/2018 at 6:29 AM, Kent said:

@Dragon-Archon has also said it's really great so there's another recommendation. :P 

Yep, I definitely recommend Mary Skelter and Demon Gaze. Mary Skelter only has a bit of fanservice during the Purge mini-game (which is optional) and some CG's in optional events.

So having just completed my first title that paves the way for my inevitable victory in this competition, what were my thoughts? Would I recommend it to Beast?

:platinum: Mad Max - 134.4 points

Let me start with the fire and explosions. Damn it looks good and just as well since you'll be the architect behind a shitload of it. That is if your game manages to hold on to anything other than 5-10fps. Holy shit I have never played a game that has suffered from so many frame rate dips that leave you stuttering through races or fighting ground combat in super slow-mo where it becomes literally impossible to miss a button cue. Speaking of which, ground combat felt like a severely dumbed down version of the combat in Batman games. The game never really produces a punishing or challenging moment, even whilst playing a "bare bones" Max.

Image result for mad max fire

I did learn a very important lesson in this game. Sandstorms are no laughing matter. Especially when a full blown sandstorm erupts just as you bolt off the start line in a life-or-death race which results in you being able to see jack-shit. But that's OK right? Everyone is on a level playing field. WRONG. Enemy AI appear to have state-of-the-art night vision goggles as they make a v-line for you with their rams and execute sharp turns with unprecedented finesse. And it doesn't even look good when the game renders all this bullshit in a measly 5fps.

Image result for mad max sandstorm

Have you ever had it in a game where you intentionally go the "wrong way" to try and complete optional objectives but it turns out to be the right way. I don't know what that says about my instincts but this happened 90% of the time in this game.

Despite all that, I actually found myself really enjoying the game. It was just pure unadulterated fun. Sure the story was a little lacking and a lot of it can be quite repetitive. But for someone who despises collectables and loves a deep story, I still found it really fun. This game demonstrates how collectables should be executed as there is a sense of reward for scouring the dunes for scrap whether it was to upgrade your fortress or beef up Max or pimp your ride. And for the most part, none of it was hidden in some absurdly obscure place. The challenges were quite fun and I knocked most of them out early on.

So would I recommend this to Beast? I'm neither mad nor Max, and I sure as shit don't have a death-wish. I would advise Beast to stay away from this one as there are some questionable moral decisions that she'd find troublesome amidst all the chaos.

Overall my rating for this game is as follows:

Difficulty: 2/10

Enjoyment: 7.5/10

Grind: 3/10

Edited by Zolkovo
  • Like 3