Good bye old friend...

Briste

Does anyone have any advice on this or is it completely luck. I wouldn't have expected to have so much trouble with a trophy this common. I have only seen two bats break so far and I was pitching both times. Once in rtts as a pitcher and once during online play. I've been playing on all-star setting for batting and legend for pitching. I haven't touched any of the slider options. I've been playing as the Padres vs Houston with Verlander starting. I've been skipping the pitching portion and only been hitting. I've played over 100 innings like this and nothing...is it just bad luck?

Edited by Br1ste

It sounds like bad luck, or perhaps you're just too good at letting bad pitches go.  From what I've seen you're much more likely to break your bat swinging at balls, especially ones that are inside.  So, setting the difficulty up like you have (all-star should be plenty) and hacking at everything is probably how you'll get it the quickest.

• Like 1

On 7/7/2018 at 6:28 PM, dmland12 said:

So, setting the difficulty up like you have (all-star should be plenty) and hacking at everything is probably how you'll get it the quickest.

Thanks for the reply! I actually have been swinging at everything. I've probably struck out 100 times today on balls in the dirt. I started watching TV while I'm hitting just to keep my sanity with this one. Since I posted that question, I've been playing non-stop except for about 2 hours with no luck....I've been able to watch Spiderman Homecoming, and Anthony Bourdain's Parts Unknown in Hong Kong and I just finished watching A League of Their Own and still have not broken a bat...I know Jimmy Dugan says there's no crying in baseball, but this dumb trophy is starting to make me wonder...

/edit

To wrap this up, after 4 more hours of trying, I ended up uninstalling the game to get back to the default settings on everything. I changed the batting from dynamic to all-star and in the 3rd game I played I broke my bat on a down and in pitch just off the plate...thanks again!

Edited by Br1ste
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

this trophy is luck based like many others, difficulty settings does not affect the outcome. I play with sliders with human contact, timing and solid hits to the max. and play with pitching difficulty at all-star and I've broken a lot of bats.

Also if you play on beginner all the pitches come down right in the middle.

My advice: hack at every pitch you see. you can use Circle for contact swing, maybe that will help.

I hope this helps and best of luck.

Edited by Solidfox88
missing advice

• 2 weeks later...

I get broken bats fairly often.  It most often happens on inside fastballs either just on or just out of the strike zone.  I suspect anyone swinging at these that hasn't gotten it are very good at lining up the PCI with the incoming pitch.  You might try not squaring up an inside pitch with a player that has good contact and see if you can't get firewood that way.

• 3 weeks later...

As I said above I get it fairly often.  I'm not particularly good at moving the PCI to square up pitches.  I tend to target a zone, typically somewhere center of the plate.  When I break my bat it is on an inside pitch that I made contact on when I didn't get the PCI adjusted for an inside pitch.  So you could try not moving PCI and swinging at inside pitches right on or just off the black.  It should be just a matter of time before the infield is dodging shrapnel to make the play.  I guess this one was easy for me since I'm a pretty average player.

• 3 weeks later...

If you are having trouble make sure you are using cursor based hitting. If you use directional the CPU will always adjust to inside pitches and make it difficult to miss enough towards the handle of the bat to break it.

I break one at least one almost every game. Its all about inside pitches and using Zone hitting. 

You shatter enough to build a house.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Thought I'd post this here for anyone like me late to the party. 

I spent about 4 hours doing this- mostly because I was rarely getting inside pitches. 

Got it within 6 tries with the follow

1. reinstalled the game and left the sliders in default

2. Put pitching and hitting to all star

3. zone batting and not moving the left analog stick at all

4. using contact hitting 

5. Played as Boomers against Groundbreakers- every third pitch was an inside pitch.

After three up three down I would just restart the game. Ended up getting it with Reggie Jackson. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Spaz said:

With settings set to Beginner you pretty much ALWAYS get strikes, never any balls. I tried changing sliders but that didn't really do anything.

Yes, when I first played this game I played on Beginner but it was too easy because the pitcher throws always strikes and never balls.

I got this trophy just random while I played franchise mode with the Cubs. I played on Experienced difficulty and throughout the whole season I wrecked quiet a few bats.

I don't know the exact situations when my bats broke, but if I remember correctly, most oft the time it was with inside pitches or when I tried to reach a ball out of the strike zone.

At the end of the season, I must had more than 10 broken bats. I can still remember of 2 during Postseason.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/11/2020 at 5:45 PM, Beth Medusa said:

Thought I'd post this here for anyone like me late to the party. 

I spent about 4 hours doing this- mostly because I was rarely getting inside pitches. 

Got it within 6 tries with the follow

1. reinstalled the game and left the sliders in default

2. Put pitching and hitting to all star

3. zone batting and not moving the left analog stick at all

4. using contact hitting 

5. Played as Boomers against Groundbreakers- every third pitch was an inside pitch.

After three up three down I would just restart the game. Ended up getting it with Reggie Jackson. 

Got it using this method. Thanks.