What's your opinion on dropping games you aren't really enjoying?

Kaiten_the_Hero

3 minutes ago, AlexJones_Bankai said:

Sometimes it isn't so bad since the game might have only been out a few weeks/months so its not SUCH a big deal, but like with Mafia III, I've reinstalled it... 4 times now, and I know I won't play it, yet its still sitting there, on my desk. Its worth like £3 now in trade-in stores :P

I don't have a trade-in store near me, otherwise I'd just go there. When I sell a game I have to sell it over the internet, which is not something I particularly enjoy doing.

I must admit that trophies convince me to finish games I don't always enjoy, a few times I've questioned the hours I've wasted to get a platinum. It's a mixed bag though and often trophies have motivated me to return to games I never gave a chance initially, to discover that they were actually worth playing. Since I'm a frugal gamer I tend to wait and learn about the games I buy anyway so I haven't had too many bad experiences.

8 minutes ago, SunnyCrappyYT said:

I don't have a trade-in store near me, otherwise I'd just go there. When I sell a game I have to sell it over the internet, which is not something I particularly enjoy doing.

Ah that's fair enough.

1 minute ago, g-bake_1986 said:

I must admit that trophies convince me to finish games I don't always enjoy, a few times I've questioned the hours I've wasted to get a platinum. It's a mixed bag though and often trophies have motivated me to return to games I never gave a chance initially, to discover that they were actually worth playing. Since I'm a frugal gamer I tend to wait and learn about the games I buy anyway so I haven't had too many bad experiences.

Yeah I rarely do my research on games, I just go by gut instinct, which I'd say isn't TOO bad xD

If I own a physical copy of a game and I don't like it, I'll sell it to somebody that doesn't know any better.  I usually tell them that most people agree it's better than (insert popular game title). 

No, I'm kidding.  If I don't like the game I usually won't play it but I will give it another shot at some point down the line.  

I'm terrible about games.  If I get stuck, I'll start another game.  Start a game, stop a game, start a new game.  Rinse. Repeat.

Then started playing some competitions, especially @Toogie53 events.  Became more serious about games.  Best part is, nobody slams you for not finishing a particular game.  You can change.  But I put a sincere effort into finishing them now. 

So, yea, if a game isn't to my liking, I'll quit and move on.  BUT, I give it an honest try, and 9 times out of 10, I'll return to it.

Edited by PermaFox
  • Like 1

It would be nice to just be able to walk away from a game I don't care for but I'm a bit of a commitment whore and once I start something, I just have to see it through. Depending on what my intentions were for a game to begin with I either press on for the platinum/100% or playing to the game's completion. This actually reflects some of my most recent experiences with Prince of Persia: Sands of Time and The Baconing. PoP was such a boring game to me, so I just dragged things out for a few months by playing bits and pieces until finally getting the platinum last week. The Baconing is my least favorite of the Deathspank series and has one trophy that require playing the entire RPG again on a higher difficulty...I just gotta have that 100%, lol

The only exception most times for me is if a game is just annoyingly difficult and I lose all motivation to keep trying. Besides that, I usually just complete games I don't like over a longer course of time.

Edited by merciful84

1 hour ago, AlexJones_Bankai said:

Oh crikey, never actually played Asura's Wrath as far as I recall, something did seem off with the gameplay from what I could tell. Nice plat though! :)
I get you, I'm a huge Final Fantasy fan but some of the games I just can't do anything but the story, some are VERY tedious. 

Oh that must have been horrible, hate it when you get so close. I think I'd burst into flames if that happened with me ha

The game was far different than I imagined. I don't think I've played a game that was so QTE reliant before. The art style was ok too, but it took a bit to fully come in on the ps3.

If my eyes could shoot laser beams my tv and system would have been gone back in 2015...the last time I played Drakengard 3 lol.

1 hour ago, BG_painter said:

Sometimes it's nuanced, yes. I stoped playing soul calibur lost swords cause i couldnt bear reading menus anymore, lol, and i stopped uncharted 3 because the camera was making me dizzy, and some i gave up because it was too dificult and i dont commit that much :giggle: Maybe someday i'll go back to the hard ones.

Your reason for Uncharted 3 is the reason I never started Vanquish. I actually had the game but watching gameplay vids gave me headaches due to the camera so I ended up trading it in and never playing it. 

• Like 1

I think it’s fine to stop playing if it’s doing nothing for you. But as I’ve been going through my backlog this year I’ve come across a lot of games that I liked much better the second time around.

Main reason that I haven’t gone back to some games is if they were too frustrating (mainly trophy related) cause it’s just not worth the energy. 

• Like 1

I've learnt the hard way when putting a game down really after not so long.

I remember back when I was in school, roughly around 8 years ago. It was my last year and I borrowed Fallout 3 off a friend on the Xbox. Played it and just couldn't get into it. Played it again a few days later same outcome, started to really dislike it, borderline "never going to play this shit again ever". Got into it again for the third time and the more I progressed the more I had fun with it. It actually turned out to be one of the best games I played on previous gen and actually can't wait to find a super cheap GOTY edition or whatever it's called for the PS3.

Since that day, I decided that whatever game I pick up. I stick with because it could always be another case like that one. Same outcome with Life is Strange recently, the first few chapters were poor. Stuck with it and the final 2 chapters were really cool.

• Like 4

Life is too short for games you don't enjoy. That time is much better spent on doing things you actually enjoy.

I would hate that in my final hours I was playing something like Alien: Isolation (which I hate), when I could have done something more enjoyable instead.

2 hours ago, AlexJones_Bankai said:

I find sometimes that I'll reinstall a game countless times, but still not get BACK into it. Guess I'm weird ha

I relate to this af.

17 minutes ago, Zarmatura93 said:

Life is too short for games you don't enjoy. That time is much better spent on doing things you actually enjoy.

I would hate that in my final hours I was playing something like Alien: Isolation (which I hate), when I could have done something more enjoyable instead.

The need for trophies is greater than the need for enjoyment! 
#NorwayRepresent

It's rare for me to drop a game, but when there aren't characters that I like, the story seems uninteresting and gameplay is dull I always think "I bought this game because [insert a seiyuu name here], I can't drop it". Yeah, I'm talking about you, The Witcher 3.

It depends on how bad they are, and what else I have to play at the time. If it's just okay and I don't have anything else waiting, I'll at least finish the main game, because it's something to do.

If it's aggressively bad, then I'll just drop it. I'm not going to torture myself if I have other things I want to be doing.

And lastly, if it's a bad game I'm playing on purpose, then I'll at least try to play the main game, but I will quit if it gets too frustrating. I'm insane and actually do that from time to time. If I find myself in a rut, and just not enjoying any games, I'll sometimes intentionally play a truly terrible game. One that's so bad that it reminds me how good the games I'm playing actually are. I'm talking weird stuff you've never heard of, or only seen at Gamestop for like $1. Like Oni, or Evergrace, or a terrible RPG Maker game I randomly find on a forum. Sometimes, I just think I need that perspective.

• Like 2

For me, a game has to be minimally enjoyable. If it is, then I can finish it and do the trophies too, even if I don’t like it a lot. If I really hate a game and can’t find even the slightest enjoyment in playing it, then I really have to drop it. This happened to me with Deadly Premonition; the trophies are easy, but I hated it, so I really had no option but to stop. It does bother me to have games on my profile that I quickly dropped (for whatever reason), but I think it’s more important to have even if just a bit of fun, playing something that is more your type of game.

• Like 1

For the games I end up not liking, I'll just power through them. Won't stop to talk with NPCs, won't go through optional (non-trophy) dungeons/scenarios, etc. Just get through the trophy list and move on.

For games I don't like that are particularly grind-y/difficult, I'll put them away for a while and come back to them at some point. Maybe when I go back to them, I'll have different feelings about them... or maybe the approach I take will be different so it's not as hard or I'm not as annoyed.

17 minutes ago, ExHaseo said:

And lastly, if it's a bad game I'm playing on purpose, then I'll at least try to play the main game, but I will quit if it gets too frustrating. I'm insane and actually do that from time to time. If I find myself in a rut, and just not enjoying any games, I'll sometimes intentionally play a truly terrible game. One that's so bad that it reminds me how good the games I'm playing actually are. I'm talking weird stuff you've never heard of, or only seen at Gamestop for like $1. Like Oni, or Evergrace, or a terrible RPG Maker game I randomly find on a forum. Sometimes, I just think I need that perspective.

Lol I've got quite a few of these myself. More than I thought now that I've gone and looked. 

I specifically played Risen 2 knowing it was supposed to be a horrible game, but because it had a pirate theme to it I said "why not?".

Then just to keep it going I decided to do Risen 3. That was one of the more irritating mistakes given the game ending glitch I encountered 3 times in a row.

And just recently I kept going with Arcania...which was really only bad because Gothic difficulty is a cheap piece of shit. :angry: 

^Arcania has the added bonus of being my 10th plat for Sony Rewards...which they haven't updated yet since June 29th. :rolleyes: 

Honorable mentions to The Cursed Crusade, Captain America: Super Soldier, Lord of the Rings: Aragorn's Quest, Star Trek, Battleship, and I'm sure a couple other titles some would throw in. None of these were actually all that harrowing to play...except Star Trek and its numerous glitches. They were just either really lame or poorly done.

I myself have done it before, I mean, not dropping a game I don't enjoy.  Example being Crash Bandicoot, started hating that after a while, but I wanted to get through it to at least finish off the story of it and beat Cortex in the end.  But after that, I dropped it, didn't want to bother with those gems and all that.

But other than that, I've dropped games I don't enjoy or that they just frustrate me in the end.

Usually I don't actually have any godly games waiting for me, that I feel genuinely hyped about. I'm not that drawn to starting new games. It means I have to learn a bunch of systems, play tutorials, play as weak characters etc. that I rather just finish up whatever I was already doing. I try to do the things where my mind is at. "Better things" in my experience tends to lead to a cycle of procrastination. It does make sense, but unfortunately enjoyment does not listen to sense.