What's your opinion on dropping games you aren't really enjoying?

Kaiten_the_Hero

a lazy skimming of this thread has led me to believe that I'm the only one who hasn't come across a game I didn't enjoy to some degree or another...hence currently knocking on wood...hence no opinion...hence feel free to skip this comment...hence nothing to see here...

Hypothetically if I ever did find myself not enjoying a game, I'd definitely persevere through the main story/campaign at the very least as I have had so many experiences where a game picks up exponentially after an initially slow/laboured start. Personally I remember disliking The Witcher 3 and The Last of Us on launch and coming back to it years later, only for them to become a couple of my all-time favourites.

My buying habits go back to my roots as not all of us were born with a silver spoon in our mouths. This meant I'd usually have to read/watch a number of reviews to make sure the games I bought would be enjoyable as they came few and far between. I guess it's something that's ingrained in me now all these years later so I still don't find myself playing a rotten egg.

Having said that, there have been times in the past where I bought a game which was out of my depth and consequently I found frustrating. As some others have mentioned I simply put it aside and worked my way back up to that game once I had a bit more experience in whatever genre it was.

Tl;dr: Everything deserves a second chance :)

Edited by Zolkovo
  • Like 1

I have a problem leaving a game without at least beating the story because I feel like if I don't at least beat the game, I never gave it a fair shot. Many games get better as they go and I'd hate to miss out on a great game because I didn't give it a fair chance.

Though, there are a few games still on my ps3 that I'm not sure if I'll go back to it or not. Spelunky HD may be in the top 5 worst games I've ever played; yet, I still feel like I need to come back to it fresh and give it another chance even if I don't think the game will get better. I also did not enjoy rainbow moon and found it frankly boring, yet I still feel like I should give it another go some day, and it's been on my hard drive for years.

So I guess to answer the OP, my opinion is that I will do my best to at least bear through the story and I have a hard time giving up on a game! xD

Edited by Beyondthegrave07

I find it hard to completely drop a game, especially with how much money they can be, so I try to give games a chance and play at least a good chunk of them. That being said, if I really don't like a game, then I'll either put it aside and try to come back to it later, or in some cases completely abandon it if I really can't stand it. 

13 hours ago, Zolkovo said:

Hypothetically if I ever did find myself not enjoying a game, I'd definitely persevere through the main story/campaign at the very least as I have had so many experiences where a game picks up exponentially after an initially slow/laboured start. Personally I remember disliking The Witcher 3 and The Last of Us on launch and coming back to it years later, only for them to become a couple of my all-time favourites.

My buying habits go back to my roots as not all of us were born with a silver spoon in our mouths. This meant I'd usually have to read/watch a number of reviews to make sure the games I bought would be enjoyable as they came few and far between. I guess it's something that's ingrained in me now all these years later so I still don't find myself playing a rotten egg.

Having said that, there have been times in the past where I bought a game which was out of my depth and consequently I found frustrating. As some others have mentioned I simply put it aside and worked my way back up to that game once I had a bit more experience in whatever genre it was.

Tl;dr: Everything deserves a second chance :)

Oh okay, yeah I can see why you'd want to finish them, its just sometimes (for me anyway), I end up absolutely hating the game, which is why I've started trying to drop games. Definitely worth another shot if you didn't like something the first time though, absolutely. Still haven't done much Witcher, my girlfriend is the one who played it hah - keep meaning to try it myself but never bothered.

Yeah I feel you man, never been in a position where I can buy exactly what I want, whenever I want, yeah I get way more games now, but that's only because I literally have nothing else to spend any extra money on (suppose it should go into the 'New House Pot' but I need more games damnit! :P 
I should really start looking at reviews more, its a pain in the ass just seeing a couple of things, thinking "oh yeah I'll buy this, will be awesome" and then realise you just bought the Surge and... well yeah... haha

That makes sense, up till a couple of years back I wouldn't have really touched any of the Soulsborne games (or games of their ilk) but now its what I find myself leaning towards, not sure why though. 

12 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I have a problem leaving a game without at least beating the story because I feel like if I don't at least beat the game, I never gave it a fair shot. Many games get better as they go and I'd hate to miss out on a great game because I didn't give it a fair chance.

Though, there are a few games still on my ps3 that I'm not sure if I'll go back to it or not. Spelunky HD may be in the top 5 worst games I've ever played; yet, I still feel like I need to come back to it fresh and give it another chance even if I don't think the game will get better. I also did not enjoy rainbow moon and found it frankly boring, yet I still feel like I should give it another go some day, and it's been on my hard drive for years.

So I guess to answer the OP, my opinion is that I will do my best to at least bear through the story and I have a hard time giving up on a game! xD

Hahah oh man, I have so many games installed on my Ps3/Vita/Ps4 that I know I won't play its ridiculous xD
Half of them I uninstall and like 3 months later I'll be like, "NO, I'M PLAYING YOU NOW" - and 20 minutes later I'm sitting there staring at it on the Dashboard thinking "hhm... nope"!

11 hours ago, VelikyNovgorod4 said:

I haven't really found a game that I don't enjoy much however that's coming from the guy who buys shitty games on purpose

Well... 

... Yeah I can't really think of anything to say to that xD

Do you enjoy the crappy games though? Or do you just enjoy the 100% at the time of finishing them?
I've played a fair few terrible games just for Trophies but sometimes it makes me think, "why bother?" - do you ever get like that? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AlexJones_Bankai said:

Well... 

... Yeah I can't really think of anything to say to that xD

Do you enjoy the crappy games though? Or do you just enjoy the 100% at the time of finishing them?
I've played a fair few terrible games just for Trophies but sometimes it makes me think, "why bother?" - do you ever get like that? 

I usually enjoy them a couple times where I put them down and never went back though. Its usually interesting for me to go see all the games people consider crappy and see if they actually are like with Duke Nukem Forever

It depends on how bad the game is. I usually try to finish the story at least, but for games that I really hated and could not stand to spend even a second more, I just drop and sell them. So far, Hatsune Miku Diva F, Sherlock Holmes a devils daughter and Tales of Symphonia DOTW are games I hated too much to continue more than the first 2 or so hours.

I think it's ok to do so, as there's no point in wasting time and forcing yourself to play a game you do not like. Gaming is supposed to be fun, not a chore. Tales of Zesteria was a game I pushed through to complete the story. I hated the game, but am a fan of Tales so I just played until the end of the story and that's it, but it was only because I like the series as a whole but hated this particular instalment. 

• Like 1

If I'm not enjoying a game, I'll leave it for awhile & play something else.  I may give it a 2nd chance later before getting ready to totally give up then sell or delete it.

Sometimes I may really like a game but just need a break from it, like Mass Effect Andromeda (PC).  I had let that one sit a few months, now I'm wanting to get it finished.  This is not a terrible game IMO, just imperfect.  YMMV.

Trophies don't make a terrible game better at all. They can add a bit of replay to a game I really care about.

I hate it... but I drop games I start all the time.

Problem is that I'm just not in the mood or have work to do most evenings, so there are large gaps between my gaming sessions, and what I am in the mood for changes by the day it feels like.  So I'll start something, say "this game is pretty cool", turn it off, a week passes, and I never turn it back on.  Rinse and repeat.  So bad I barely even bother starting games anymore.  Even 8-10 hour games are just grueling for me to get through for some reason... no less some 150 hour epic.  Best bet is to find some 2-3 hour indie game and binge it on a Saturday morning.

Game has to be utterly fascinating to keep my attention longer than that... though it's hard to blame the games at this point.

Seems like I find new releases more interesting than dipping into my backlog though.  Tough to go backwards, feels like I've played all these games 100 times before even if I haven't touched them yet.

Edited by Dreakon13

33 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I hate it... but I drop games I start all the time.

Problem is that I'm just not in the mood or have work to do most evenings, so there are large gaps between my gaming sessions, and what I am in the mood for changes by the day it feels like.  So I'll start something, say "this game is pretty cool", turn it off, a week passes, and I never turn it back on.  Rinse and repeat.  So bad I barely even bother starting games anymore.  Even 8-10 hour games are just grueling for me to get through for some reason... no less some 150 hour epic.  Best bet is to find some 2-3 hour indie game and binge it on a Saturday morning.

Game has to be utterly fascinating to keep my attention longer than that... though it's hard to blame the games at this point.

Seems like I find new releases more interesting than dipping into my backlog though.  Tough to go backwards, feels like I've played all these games 100 times before even if I haven't touched them yet.

There is of course loss of interest and the fact that we are all growing older. 

I couldn’t pull myself away from games back when I was 10 to 16 years old. These days I can barely look at a new game without losing interest and doing a hobby that isn’t video games. 

There is more to life than video games. Being someone who is now in their 30s I have gradually switched over to Netflix television and Amazon Prime, since they catch my interests much more than a game I’ve already played 100 times over.

6 minutes ago, Spaz said:

There is of course loss of interest and the fact that we are all growing older. 

I couldn’t pull myself away from games back when I was 10 to 16 years old. These days I can barely look at a new game without losing interest and doing a hobby that isn’t video games. 

There is more to life than video games. Being someone who is now in their 30s I have gradually switched over to Netflix television and Amazon Prime, since they catch my interests much more than a game I’ve already played 100 times over.

I still like the idea of video games better than other hobbies.  Television is just easier.

11 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I still like the idea of video games better than other hobbies.  Television is just easier.

Sure, you can argue that. It’s just that so many in our generation grew up with Nintendo and Sony that gaming has been a hobby of ours for decades. 

If I'm not enjoying a game, I stop playing.  I'll then try to go back to it down the line, but once I've tried to get into it 2-3 times and it's become clear to me that I'm not going to like it then I just stop and uninstall/sell the game.

Naughty Bear is the only trophy game I've had this with so far.  Fat Princess will likely be next but I want to give the story mode a go at some point before giving up on it.

I make a distinction between games I'm not enjoying, and parts of games being frustrating though.  If I like the game but one bit is annoying me then I'll push through that.

Generally I like to at least finish the story or whatever "main mode" of the game, but especially recently I've becoming more open to dropping games part way. Generally some BS moment has to happen like me losing save progress and thinking "cbf with this". More likely now than in the past due to how many games I have, constantly picking up crazy cheap games + the odd free/loaned one means I have a lot of choices and don't have to really play something for the sake of it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Depends on how close I am to the end and how severe my dislike for what I'm experience is. If I'm close or the dislike is just minimal I'll finish it just because the idea of not finishing is worse than the game. When the game happens to be worse than that feeling I drop it right there.

Drop it and move on. At least in the early years of gaming we could mod with a Gameshark or Action Replay to make "Boring" games more enjoyable. Then achievements came along and ruined this. So for modern gaming I just drop it and try again at a later date in which time I might like it.

On my second try list right now is Mass Effect Andromeda and the Bioshock series.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 2 years later...