What's your opinion on dropping games you aren't really enjoying?

Kaiten_the_Hero

Even before trophies, I've always seen a game I play to the end. In many cases, I ended up liking games that I didn't at the start, so it can definitely be worth doing.

Obviously, everyone is different, so nothing wrong with not finishing a title, but it does really tick me off when you read someone complaining about a game and you can tell they've only seen the beginning of it. Unless you actually play through the game, I don't think you should really speak about it.

Lots of old ass threads being resurrected lately. 

I try to give a game I don't like a fair chance. I can forgive a poor or mediocre story if it has an amazing ending. That's what I was hoping for with TLOU and GoW2018. Both were a severe disappointment to me, especially with all the hype behind it. 

I powered through GoW since I was nearly at platinum after beating it. I wasn't about to play through TLOU again for the plat, though. 

I love chasing the platinum and, to a lesser degree, the 100%.  I love seeing that platinum trophy pop up on my screen and see it on my profile.  However, if I'm really not enjoying a game at all, I don't bother.  I'll bust my ass with a game.  I'll grind.  I'll "git gud", but I have to at least be somewhat enjoying the game.  If I'm not enjoying the game at all, I give up on it.  

Not fun?  Drop it.

I don’t have a 100% profile, but my completion percentage is pretty high and I’m proud of that.  Like most folks here, I assume, If I pop 1 trophy then I’ll commit to finishing it - to the best of my ability.  However there are games I don’t enjoy and that’s when trophy hunting feels like a job or a chore.  Enter, Shadow of the Tomb Raider. 🖕 There is absolutely nothing redeeming about that dumpster fire of game and I hated every single minute I spent with it, but I stuck it out and got the plat.  Done.  Then there was dlc. 😡 Fine, let’s get this over with.  Done, again.  Then there was more dlc and more planned.  🤬🤬🤬  Nope.  I’m out.  I don’t need this ass pain when there are so many other GOOD games I actually wanted play.  I have since learned to test drive games on a dummy account before subjecting myself to miserable garbage again.

Bottom line, don’t force yourself to suffer through games you hate.  Your completion percentage isn’t worth your sanity.

• Like 2

I hate dropping games, but I do it if I'm not having fun. I mean, I have known to power through anyways if the Plat is simple enough, but if there's too much required of me and I'm not enjoying myself then I'm not going to torture myself. Though really, it's probably more that I feel like I took a useless hit to my completion percentage than anything else. Trying to him 90% one day, and every failed game makes it that much tougher to get there. 

It's like recently with WWE 2K23...the Plat isn't hard, per se. But I just..fucking...HATTTEEEE...MyFaction. I can't stand it, there's no part of me that wants to play it, there's no part of me that wants to deal with all the multiman match bullshit in proving grounds, or the Faction Wars that take FOREVER to get through because the games sliders don't affect the mode so you can't just cheese it and move on. The potential to lose is too high then you have to repeat the garbage all over again. I literally have 2 trophies left...but I just can't stomach it, it's no fun at all...so I drop it. And I know it'll return in 2K24, and it pains me to know ahead of time I likely won't Plat that either. 

Edited by Viper

Its ok if you dont really like it, not just the game, or the trophy list, but as a whole, i like to sometimes buy and play games with "eyes closed", without reading any review or without reading trophy list, and well there are some good surprises like golazo, or artful escape, or other times that its a total BS product like seven days to die or  paranautical activity.

Games as a whole, even the grinding must give you some kind of fun or way to enjoy the product; you know you are doing something wrong when even the guys who will punch a rock 15 straight times for a trophy, dont like your product based on quality, trophies, fun factor, and replay value.

On 9/7/2023 at 4:35 PM, Shipwreck24273 said:

Not fun?  Drop it.

I don’t have a 100% profile, but my completion percentage is pretty high and I’m proud of that.  Like most folks here, I assume, If I pop 1 trophy then I’ll commit to finishing it - to the best of my ability.  However there are games I don’t enjoy and that’s when trophy hunting feels like a job or a chore.  Enter, Shadow of the Tomb Raider. 🖕 There is absolutely nothing redeeming about that dumpster fire of game and I hated every single minute I spent with it, but I stuck it out and got the plat.  Done.  Then there was dlc. 😡 Fine, let’s get this over with.  Done, again.  Then there was more dlc and more planned.  🤬🤬🤬  Nope.  I’m out.  I don’t need this ass pain when there are so many other GOOD games I actually wanted play.  I have since learned to test drive games on a dummy account before subjecting myself to miserable garbage again.

Bottom line, don’t force yourself to suffer through games you hate.  Your completion percentage isn’t worth your sanity.

🏻This💯

• Like 1

On 9/7/2023 at 4:35 PM, Shipwreck24273 said:

Not fun?  Drop it.

All of this, except the test drive. My profile is also my gaming history, so I'm good with some low % games on there. I put in a strong effort to plat most games I play, but sometimes it just isn't worth it. If you give a game a solid chance, and it's just not fun, let it go and move on.

• Like 1