So who truly are the all-stars of fruit racing?

Burgins

This actually looks like really good fun! Kind of like Mario Kart and Sugar Rush from Wreck-It Ralph had a child together?

Trophies don't look too bad, unless the time trials are really tight timing. Even the online trophies, it's only winning different things once each - only takes some luck to get matched up with people that aren't very good just one time for each thing. But I'm terrible at racing games, even the easy ones, so I'll probably find all the trophies horrible, but eh. Will probably get this because it looks fun.

• Like 1

I was all on board for this but the online trophies will probably keep me away. I just hate playing online. Even the wait for a match gets me mad. 

I've also heard the game is more expensive than it should be. Not sure if it's true for ps4 or not. $20 is what I expect it to cost, but I'd probably only bite at $10 or POSSIBLY $15. I don't spend more than that for digital games.

time attack isn't so bad unless it scales into near impossible difficulty like prestige mode in need for speed.

the hot pursuit courses seemed like super hard but not impossible 7/10 difficulty.

pretty much had to remember the track and get the best time.

Edited by kingdrake2

22 hours ago, yowzagabowza said:

I've also heard the game is more expensive than it should be. Not sure if it's true for ps4 or not. $20 is what I expect it to cost, but I'd probably only bite at $10 or POSSIBLY $15. I don't spend more than that for digital games.

It's £35 GBP / £31.49 with PS Plus discount

So it'll be like...$40-$45 I think? I'm not good with currency conversions

• Like 1

Alright, I just finished up platinum and here are some of my thoughts and tips.

There's a real lack of content here. Career can be completed in 2-3 hours since the AI doesn't really provide any challenge other than the last cup. After career is done, you'll either have online or time attack. As for online, in addition to that there's actually no one playing, it's also quite laggy. The game running 30 fps and having intermittent frame drops also doesn't help. Luckily, for online trophies there's one pretty nice feature: if other players leave your game, they are replaced with AI and you'll still earn trophies even though you're playing only against the AI. So your best bet is to create a room and hope someone wanders in and readies up. Then even if the other player quits, you'll still have a chance of earning wins.

Next up, time attack. The majority of records are easily beaten by 1-4 seconds, provided you understand the basic concepts of drifting to gain boost and using it throughout the lap. There are some pretty tough ones as well, but nothing super difficult. A couple of attempts should be enough for any of these.

Now when all of this is done you'll likely still be missing like 15-17 hours on the 20 hours play time requirement. Now this is a massive pain as the time spent not only doesn't count in time attack, it's only running during races (offline or online). This means that there's no way to just leave the game running and come back after multiple hours to get the rewards. Since playing against AI is pretty boring, no one's playing online and time attack is not counted, what I ended up doing was do custom juicer race 5 laps at the longest track Poseimon on easy so AI finishes as slow as possible. When race starts, I just left my character idling and let the AI finish up the race. One of these races takes around 9 minutes. I started to count these after 5 hour trophy popped and to reach 20 hours, I ended up with 90 restarts (this required a lot of netflix).

So, I mean this is really bad. The conscious decision to leave out time attack from time played seems to indicate that they really wanted to encourage people to play online but when it's just a warp fest, there's no reason to do so. Had they implemented online leaderboards for time attack, I could see myself playing this quite a lot as the drifting + boosting mechanic itself is pretty good. But now developers give zero reason to continue playing. Likely they did the best with their resources but I expect a lot more content and polish from a 40€ game. It's also really unfortunate as there hasn't been any good kart racers for some time and I was hoping this could be it.

tl;dr Platinum is a boring grind fest with very little actual interesting racing content. Online trophies aren't as bad as in most games. In my opinion and reflecting on how much I got out of the game not worth current price.

On 7/15/2018 at 7:50 PM, Synophis said:

Next up, time attack. The majority of records are easily beaten by 1-4 seconds, provided you understand the basic concepts of drifting to gain boost and using it throughout the lap. There are some pretty tough ones as well, but nothing super difficult. A couple of attempts should be enough for any of these.

I wish this were the case for me. I dunno if you're just really good at this sort of stuff or I'm really bad, but even with drifting throughout entire laps to benefit from the drift boost as much as possible, hitting all boost pads and taking shortcuts on applicable tracks, I'm still never able to get gold on pretty much any track. Maybe I have a bad race line or I'm going about drifting completely wrong, but for me it's definitely not a case of time attack being easy.

1 hour ago, Dark_Raven666 said:

I wish this were the case for me. I dunno if you're just really good at this sort of stuff or I'm really bad, but even with drifting throughout entire laps to benefit from the drift boost as much as possible, hitting all boost pads and taking shortcuts on applicable tracks, I'm still never able to get gold on pretty much any track. Maybe I have a bad race line or I'm going about drifting completely wrong, but for me it's definitely not a case of time attack being easy.

Ok, I'll go a bit more in-depth with time attacks. Since most of the time there really is quite a lot of room for mistakes, I think it's just more about not getting the drifting mechanics than anything else.

My best guess is that you're just not drifting enough. Even when you're just on a straight, you should be drifting and using counter steering to get as straight a line as possible while alternating the drift direction. For best possible speed, release the drift only when the boost meter is filled up or about to be filled (learn the timing). After releasing the boost, start another drift and repeat. You can strategize your boost usage a bit by doing a max boost just before or after hitting a boost pad which will make you go at highest possible speed. Another good tip is to minimize your air time by using a boost in midair.

I still had a recording of some of my original medium and hard time attack runs and I uploaded it as hidden unedited (menus, loading screens included) video on my channel. Even with mistakes, missing boost pads, bad racing lines I still beat the records by multiple seconds. This should give a good visualization of what I tried to explain about the mechanics. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sstXi_w3kI

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Dark_Raven666 said:

I've found that the one piston times are a lot tighter with almost no room for error than the two and three piston ones. I've only done the first two islands so far though and part of the third, I dunno if they're more difficult on the other tracks as I haven't even attempted them yet. I got every single two and three piston one so far (mind you, it's only 10/21 races) on my first attempt, but most of the one piston took several attempts before I finally did it.

And my skills are nowhere near close to @Synophis - I just watched the first race on your video and hot damn, you're so much better than me o_O I'm in awe. I tried doing some of that drifting stuff you do at the start and I always go way off course...

Also, how did you guys manage to get "WEEHHH"? The one with four seconds flying. I just can't get it to pop no matter what, been trying for like an hour on various pistons, with and without boosting on the big jumps, and it just won't pop. Am I doing something wrong? At this point I think I must be misunderstanding the trophy. Plus side, one less hour of grinding for the 20 hours once I've finished everything else up xD

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Synophis said:

Ok, I'll go a bit more in-depth with time attacks. Since most of the time there really is quite a lot of room for mistakes, I think it's just more about not getting the drifting mechanics than anything else.

Congrats on the plat and thanks for posting the video. So basically you just drift boost continually for every track. I can't imagine how mind numbing the grind to 20 hrs would be.

For anyone interested, the game is actually quite fun, sometimes a little cheap with the AI in career and definitely not easy.