Questions about Berseria

KingGuy420

Thinking about buying Tales of Berseria from this weeks sale but I'm still on shaky footing with the series after Zesty. Anyone have any input about it one way or the other?

I literally just tried the demo and I already like the combat infinitely more. But I do have a few other questions.

1. In Zestiria, leveling up seemed irrelevant compared to gear and stuff. Is Berseria the same or is leveling back to being important? Couldn't gain any levels in the demo so I couldn't really check.

2. How's the endgame? I'm assuming there's a typical EX dungeon, ultimate gear, and NG+ / Grade shop but I've definitely been wrong assuming things before lol.

3. Are there any overly convoluted game systems like Zesty' equipment stuff? I didn't see any in the demo but that doesn't mean anything.

(BTW, I know this thread seems like I'm bashing Zesty but that's really not the case. It was a fine game. I just personally didn't like it.)

1. I basically fought every enemy I saw and had no trouble with the difficulty so I don't really know

2. There is a endgame dungeon NG plus/Grade shop. Don't remember about ultimate gear its been awhile since I played it

3. I didn't play Zesty so I can't really answer

I really love Berseria and highly recommend it

• Like 1

1- I played the whole game on hard from the get go, fighting only what was in my way (because killing stuff is super fun in this one because the fighting flows very nicely compared to clunky ass Zestiria) and I only had trouble in one specific boss close to the end that used high level spells and would kill my party members easily, still beat him first try, though. I never really paid attention to my level.

2- There is an Ex dungeon with several bosses. Endgame gear is made from combining endgame equipment if you really want to get everything to +10 or whatever the last gear improvement was. There are also some cool optional bosses as rewards for sidequests, especially a certain fight that I won't spoil what is ;)

3- No, you obtain skills from quests, bosses and using pieces of equipment for several battles. None of that bullshit chance of getting such skills stacked and RNG crap. The equipment is dropped or bought (can't remember if it can be created but I remember improving items with materials). Some can have random skills but you don't need any specific one for a trophy.

Edited by AndresLionheart
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, AndresLionheart said:

1- I played the whole game on hard from the get go, fighting only what was in my way (because killing stuff is super fun in this one because the fighting flows very nicely compared to clunky ass Zestiria) and I only had trouble in one specific boss close to the end that used high level spells and would kill my party members easily, still beat him first try, though. I never really paid attention to my level.

2- There is an Ex dungeon with several bosses. Endgame gear is made from combining endgame equipment if you really want to get everything to +10 or whatever the last gear improvement was. There are also some cool optional bosses as rewards for sidequests, especially a certain fight that I won't spoil what is ;)

3- No, you obtain skills from quests, bosses and using pieces of equipment for several battles. None of that bullshit chance of getting such skills stacked and RNG crap. The equipment is dropped or bought (can't remember if it can be created but I remember improving items with materials). Some can have random skills but you don't need any specific one for a trophy.

That all sounds great. Definitely put most of my worries to rest. I think I'm definitely going to pick it up. Playing that demo gave me the Tales itch lol.

Yeah, it's definitely worth your time.

The story is good and it even made me shed a few tears at one point. In battles you become a monster when all moves are available. Stacking Break Soul and finishing it up with a Mystic Arte for extremely increased damage feels really good.

Zestiria is, without a doubt, the worst entry in the series (so far is the only main modern Tales I haven't finished). So don't worry about bashing Zesty, we all agree it sucks.

If you care about the Platinum, keep in mind that there is a grind at the end. Getting every title to at least level 2 takes quiety a bit of time.

17 minutes ago, AndresLionheart said:

Yeah, it's definitely worth your time.

The story is good and it even made me shed a few tears at one point. In battles you become a monster when all moves are available. Stacking Break Soul and finishing it up with a Mystic Arte for extremely increased damage feels really good.

Zestiria is, without a doubt, the worst entry in the series (so far is the only main modern Tales I haven't finished). So don't worry about bashing Zesty, we all agree it sucks.

If you care about the Platinum, keep in mind that there is a grind at the end. Getting every title to at least level 2 takes quiety a bit of time.

I really wanted to like Zestiria, it had a lot of good things going for it, they just didn't outweigh the bad IMO.

As for the grind, I'm actually the one weirdo that loves to grind in jrpg's lol. There's something almost zen about it =)

Edited by KingGuy420

Don't worry you're not alone... I disliked Zesteria as well... It's the main reason I didn't plat Berseria til now. And I am glad I did. 

It seems that most of your question has been answered so might add few of my personal opinion.I find this game that have the higher the level, the better system. I personally just switched equipments to master the skills and upgrading them for bonus gauges. 

There is a Post game dungeon and I am not loving it atm. The enemies are basically cheap sponges esp. if you are playing in Normal and higher. No ridiculous Equipment system as well. 

So yeah... Basically Berseria>>>>Zesteria(and ofc Eizen>>>>>>>Edna) so I highly recommend this game.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...