What are your favourite single player experiences, this gen?

Deadly-Corvo

Saw this article on Push Square.

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2018/07/guide_best_ps4_single_player_story_games?page=4

It lists 20 of the best single player story games on PS4. I have played some of the games on the list on my Xbox and plan to work through this list more or less on PlayStation, a long with some other fantastic single player games, so any recommendations are greatly appreciated and I can't wait to read other gamers top picks for this gen!

• Like 1

Well, in order of favorite to least, and pulling from the Pushsquare list, here ya go.

1. The Witcher 3

2. Journey

3. Until Dawn

4.Uncharted 4

5. Life is Strange

6. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

What is your list?

Right now my favorite game is Heavy Rain, but probably because I'm playing it.

• Like 2

Lol, is anyone taking this seriously? No Bloodborne, folks over there are obviously trolling.

Oh, I completely forgot to list mine! I can only mention games I completed, there are a lot on my backlog which would probably land here.

Here we go:

1. Bloodborne
  2. NieR: Automata
  3. Shadow of the Colossus
  4. Last Guardian
  5. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain
  6. Dark Souls III
  7. Uncharted 4
  8. Hellblade
  9. What remains of Edith Finch
  10. God of War
  11. Battlefield 1 (Yes, I absolutely loved the campaign)
  12. Ratchet & Clank
  13. Firewatch
  14. The Order 1886
  15. inFamous: Second Son & First Light
  16. Child of Light
  17. Uncharted: Lost legacy
  18. Inside
  19. Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes
  20. The Walking Dead: A New Frontier

J

Edited by Paleblood
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Paleblood said:

Lol, is anyone taking this seriously? No Bloodborne, folks over there are obviously trolling.

I haven't played Bloodborne but I know how highly it is regarded. It's definitely a game I do want to play, for sure! Very strange how it didn't make their list. Almost criminal if the game is as good as people say. Can't wait to find out!

• Like 1

Just now, Deadly-Corvo said:

I haven't played Bloodborne but I know how highly it is regarded. It's definitely a game I do want to play, for sure! Very strange how it didn't make their list. Almost criminal if the game is as good as people say. Can't wait to find out!

Actually, I could come up with 50 games wondering why they weren't on the list.  But, then that is being too serious!  

Well, considering the fact that I haven't played many PlayStation exclusives so far I can give you a list of my favorite games that are also available on PS4.

NieR: Automata, simply because it is one the best games I've ever played. Not many games managed to surprise me as much as this one. It has a fantastic way to tell a great story. On top of that there is a great combat system and a well balanced gameplay. And every little praise this game has received is well deserved.

Hob, actually this game doesn't have a story or it doesn't tell you anything. But that's it what makes it so interesting. You have to piece it together yourself, which is not a small feat because there are no cutscenes and no conversation with NPCs, not even any written clues. Ok the story is rather generic but then again the story is how you perceive the world and what you make of it. Plus the gameplay is fantastic!

Divinity Original Sin II, one of the best old school RPGs in recent years, maybe even the best. And the game is coming next in a couple of weeks for PS4 in a definitive edition. Which means tons of changes and additions to an already great game. Even if it the overall story is nothing special, in fact it has been told over and over again, I still recommend it because of the individual stories of the main characters. There are six so called origin stories you can choose from at the beginning and it is up to you how this story is being told. It's a wonderful game that puts the player in the center and not just a predefined character which is just controlled by you. It is also a good example how much a living breathing world can make a good story of it's own. There is so much to discover and experience that you don't really need an overarching story. Well, in my opinion anyway.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, PooPooBlast said:

Wow so many games I disagree with their placement on this list. Ah well it's their opinion..

I agree. It's a pretty good list of games but I feel it's definitely lacking. Hence why I thought it would make a good topic. Obviously this site has a great harcore audience so the replies to this thread and recommendions for games won't be taken lightly.

• Like 1

I love how they call it a "Guide". Guides are meant to, y'know, give some guidance. Not "here are some games I, the author, like, in a random order".

14 minutes ago, Paleblood said:

I assume it's because it has multiplayer, so it's not a purely single player experience game? Only reason I can think of that it's not on the list.

But then they put in Uncharted 4, so...yeah, I have no idea. And clearly neither do they.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Durandal said:

Well, considering the fact that I haven't played many PlayStation exclusives so far I can give you a list of my favorite games that are also available on PS4.

NieR: Automata, simply because it is one the best games I've ever played. Not many games managed to surprise me as much as this one. It has a fantastic way to tell a great story. On top of that there is a great combat system and a well balanced gameplay. And every little praise this game has received is well deserved.

Hob, actually this game doesn't have a story or it doesn't tell you anything. But that's it what makes it so interesting. You have to piece it together yourself, which is not a small feat because there are no cutscenes and no conversation with NPCs, not even any written clues. Ok the story is rather generic but then again the story is how you perceive the world and what you make of it. Plus the gameplay is fantastic!

Divinity Original Sin II, one of the best old school RPGs in recent years, maybe even the best. And the game is coming next in a couple of weeks for PS4 in a definitive edition. Which means tons of changes and additions to an already great game. Even if it the overall story is nothing special, in fact it has been told over and over again, I still recommend it because of the individual stories of the main characters. There are six so called origin stories you can choose from at the beginning and it is up to you how this story is being told. It's a wonderful game that puts the player in the center and not just a predefined character which is just controlled by you. It is also a good example how much a living breathing world can make a good story of it's own. There is so much to discover and experience that you don't really need an overarching story. Well, in my opinion anyway.

Nier Automata: I have heard only great things about this game. Picked it up last week, really looking forward to it!

Hob: I'll look into it, it sounds like something I would enjoy. If you like games where the story is largely dependent on your interpretation of the events that unfold in front of you, then I highly recommend 'Little Nightmares', if you haven't already played it. Fantastic little game which sucked me right into its world.

Divinity Original Sin II: A friend from work has also mentioned to me how good this game is, I think he played it on PC. Love a good RPG, it's definitely a genre that I haven't delved into enough.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

I think it's weird that they have remakes and remasters (especially remasters) on the list since they are just previous gen games with updated graphics.

Firstly, nice list of games. Persona looks really good. Might pick it up in the sale.

Secondly, if remasters count then I absolutely have to put a shout in for BioShock: The Collection... Pure brilliance imo.

I'll throw a few story focused ones at you that haven't been mentioned that are currently in stores: God of War (2018),Yakuza 0, Yakuza 6, Yakuza Kiwami, Resident Evil 7, Cosmic Star Heroine, Dragon Age: Inquisition.

I'm REALLY looking forward to Dragon Quest XI and Spider-Man in September :)

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Durandal said:

I was going to buy the first one but knowing that they upgraded the port mechanics for the 2nd one it's on my ps4 wishlist for sure. :)

1. Batman: Arkham Knight my game of this gen for now

2. God of war a true masterpiece is my favourite series

3. Bloodborne the best of souls game second only at Demon's Soul when all begin

4. Dark souls III the "conclusion" for another masterpiece series

Edited by Neme-ita