Unlicensed Surgery Patient: PS3

lDustee

So today I was getting my last trophies for Kingdoms of Amalur The Reckoning. A few hours later i got the trophies and the Platinum. I was really happy about it, that was my 20th platinum. Then all my happiness became rage when the disc did not wanted to eject. I press the eject button, i went to the menu of the disc to eject from there, i did the counter clockwise under the ps3 with the phillip screwdriver the disc did not want to come out at all. So there was only one option left to open the PS3. I'm already use to open things up did it with the ps2, I built my own PC so i was use to this.... well kind of. I take all the screws up and then i found out there is like 4 more under the PS3 that i didn't even know what type of screwdriver that screw need it, so i did it broke the whole top off and now its naked. I took i the disc but now it seems i have to press down the disc drive for it to come out. I was like "its ok i can deal with it PS4 coming out anyway" so now i have to play with my PS3 like this.

2013-04-25-203824.jpg

2013-04-25-203814.jpg

My original fat PS3 got a YLOD after 4 years of use, but it took 2 seconds to find a disassemby video on youtube.  Over next 3 months, I ended up taking it appart almost 5 times, reflowing the joints so it would run for a few weeks at a time.  Then I finally got tired of it and exchanged it for a new one.  By the end I could take it appart down to the cpu, and put together in less than 10 minutes.  Next time google first:

Edited by Eternal21

You sir, are a numbskull. To retrieve a disc worth $20 at most, you trashed the shell of a $200 PS3.

A $1 screwdriver attachment is all you needed. That and a touch of patience.

Maybe Google "how to open a PS3 without breaking it" next time.

My original fat PS3 got a YLOD after 4 years of use, but it took 2 seconds to find a disassemby video on youtube.  Over next 3 months, I ended up taking it appart almost 5 times, reflowing the joints so it would run for a few weeks at a time.  Then I finally got tired of it and exchanged it for a new one.  By the end I could take it appart down to the cpu, and put together in less than 10 minutes.  Next time google first:

I did google it and did everything the video told me but it still wouldn't come out.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=RlhOq0gGv6Q

There's nothing in that video about disassembling the PS3 shell.

I've stripped down my Slim a dozen times and it's not rocket science, you just need the right tools for the job - a T10 Torx screwdriver ($5) or head set (less than $1 a piece) to get the handful of screws that aren't Phillips heads.

You can buy a full replacement housing for a Slim for about $30. The PS4 won't be backwards-compatible with PS3 games, so it's worth hanging onto the Slim.

Edited by ant1th3s1s