Over 10 years now

I remember the time this game had come out which is strange since I like 7 and 8. I remember watching my older brother play it a lot and it was cool to see especially since the best I had was a freaking V-Tech (later on my brother would give me his ps1 and even later his ps2). When I finally got to the play the game it was kinda surreal to play considering my age wasn't even double digits when it came out. But I made this topic to ask you guy's what was one of your favorite memories from this game? And would you want a remaster in the next couple of console generations? 

• Like 1

I actually have this game for the PC; I got it with GTA: San Andreas in some cheap bundle (or I got them for free, I don't remember) on Steam. 

...this was during the time I had my old laptop 4 years ago, and I couldn't run it then. xD

I haven't played it since with my new laptop, but I at least know I can run it now. I've seen a lot of gameplay of it, and it looks like it's a lot of fun. I'll get around to it after I play the older GTA games first (never played GTA III or Vice City, but I have them).

You makin' me feel old, I was 12 when GTA IV came out! (same year Midnight Club: Los Angeles came out!)

10 years already, time flies.

Favourite memory - Wagging high school to go and play this at a mate's place. 8 of us sitting around and taking turns crashing cars to watch Niko fly through the windscreen. Or let people grab the door handle of a car and drag them down the road.

But really the favourite memory is Roman ringing me up constantly to go fucking bowling.

No, wouldn't want it remastered because I'm not a fan of remastering everything. I'd rather a Rockstar gave us GTA VI.

Edited by Feral
  • Like 2

As a PS2 kid until late 2011, I could only experience the glory of this game whenever that one friend who had a PS3 would come over. He got lucky, he won it in a prize thing in 2007, most of the people I hung with, like me, were stuck on PS2s for a good long while. 

Every time he'd come round I'd shit my pants with delight, it was awesome. This, and Spider-Man: Web of Shadows (compared to San Andreas, and Spider-Man 2 respectively) blew the shit out of my ass in terms of how great a game could look. And I didn't even know what an HDMI was at that point, I was just using old AV cables for the PS2 on it, should have seen me when I got my own PS3. 

I remember he had cheats written down on a sheet of paper in the manual's slot, as many of us did, but they were numbers, like what the fuck am I going to do with a bunch of numbers? Oh, the guy has his own phone in game that stores them? That's some high tech shit right there, me thought. I remember bazooka rampages and flying up to buildings to just kill myself, something I still regularly do in the game thanks to backwards compatibility on Xbox One. 

But more than anything, I remember my first time driving in the game, leaving the Hove Beach kind of area and heading toward the high way, I hit one of those metal border things on the highways and Niko went flying through the windscreen, I had no idea he could even do that, I thought it was the coolest (and honestly, quite annoying-iest) thing out. 

Years later when I finally got my PS3, I remember playing online with my then girlfriend, we'd play for hours. It was so fucking cool to have multiplayer in Grand Theft Auto, shared screen MP was fun in San Andreas, and believe me, me and my last gen buds made the most of that too, but this was a whole other kettle of fish. I'd play it online with a couple of dudes from school, but mostly with the aforementioned ex. We'd spend hours at a time just pissing around in it, Windows Live Messenger open on the laptop, good times. It was then that I learned about all the areas near the MP free roam spawn point that you could do backflips (blanking on the area name), like the big car park, then along the street a bit over the highway, and the motor bike store right there, they were asking for it. I'd never had so much fun having someone yell "your mom is a whore" at me. 

There's a hundred more memories too. The first time I saw Ricky Gervais, the final stupid pigeon kill, grinding out the online the second the servers came back up, all the Machinimas I watched, that mission in TBOGT where the guy gets thrown from the chopper and shits himself, finding the Claude costume for Niko, and so on. The game is just brilliant. 

Would I love a proper remaster on the GTA V engine with shinier weather, better handling / physics, and more? Yeah, probably. I'd buy it no doubt.

Would I prefer a port to current gen (Switch or even phones, mostly, since Xbone has it BC and PS4 can sod off) with all the old "flaws"  in tact? Definitely.

• Like 2

I played through the game with a friend on his account way back before I cared about trophies and we had tons of fun with it. Probably some of the most fun I've ever had playing a game. Unlike many others, I think it's the best GTA game ever made although I know that is a bit of a subjective statement. It was more enjoyable to me than the PS2 outings (which I liked, don't get me wrong) plus I prefer the bleaker and more focused story on offer in GTA IV compared with GTA V's more fun but looser narrative that didn't allow me to care for any of it's 3 protagonists in the same way I cared about Niko.

I would absolutely love a remaster of the game. I have a sealed copy of the Complete Edition that I haven't started yet because there is always something else I'm playing but I would definitely drop that in favour of a remaster :)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My first contact with GTA IV was back in 2009, in Xbox 360 arcade version my uncle had in his game shop, but as most 360 consoles of that time (Xenon motherboards), they would within months if they hadn't proper ventilation, and even a cooler right in front of the system, the most I would play was like 30 minutes or so, outta fear of breaking that 360 (Which did break out later anyway).

Then in 2010 I bought myself a Xbox 360 Elite model (Jasper motherboard, the one revision that pretty much ruled out most of phat models problems) and not much later got myself a copy of GTAIV and played the heck of it until finishing with 100% stat file. And while I had played previous GTA titles prior to GTA IV, I couldn't say I was a veteran of the series so this one was a first of kind for me and stuck with me for long years. And only in 2018 I was able to get a platinum on it (Never got 1000/1000G on the 360), even though I managed to everything related to singleplayer back in 2010/2011 on my 360.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/14/2018 at 1:30 AM, DaRe said:

I actually have this game for the PC; I got it with GTA: San Andreas in some cheap bundle (or I got them for free, I don't remember) on Steam. 

...this was during the time I had my old laptop 4 years ago, and I couldn't run it then. xD

I haven't played it since with my new laptop, but I at least know I can run it now. I've seen a lot of gameplay of it, and it looks like it's a lot of fun. I'll get around to it after I play the older GTA games first (never played GTA III or Vice City, but I have them).

You makin' me feel old, I was 12 when GTA IV came out! (same year Midnight Club: Los Angeles came out!)

Jesus I was 17 when it came out! How old do you think me and the older ones around here feel?! :P 

Vice City is still one of my all time favourite games. It's almost difficult to explain to my younger cousins and friends just how impactful that game was at the game at the time. The graphics and world were mind-blowing to me, and having a fully voiced protagonist seemed like a quantum leap forward. 

I'd recommend you check it out if you own it, even just to drive around Ocean View while listening to the stellar soundtrack.