How to speed up PS4 internet connection

smas16

Hello, currently I have my PS4 in the living room with wired connection which is 100 mb download and 98 upload , but in some days I need to put my PS4 in my bedroom which is in my basement , the problem is that with wireless connection my PS4 only gets 20 MB download and 10 upload , is there anything I can do to upgrade my speed connection on PS4?

Wirelessly? Ehhh, it's like night and day between wired and Wifi as far as download speeds are concerned. I have my router in the same room I play my PS4 and it downloaded really slow on Wifi until I popped two holes in the wall and ran an ethernet cable to it lol The PS4 Slim and Pro have a much better Wifi antenna than the base model but other than that the only other thing I can think of save for running an ethernet cable to the basement would be looking into a Wifi booster. 

Basically they plug into an outlet and extend the Wifi signal by acting like another router. That way you'll have a strong signal in the basement as if the actual router was in the basement.

3 minutes ago, Death_Ninja said:

Wirelessly? Ehhh, it's like night and day between wired and Wifi as far as download speeds are concerned. I have my router in the same room I play my PS4 and it downloaded really slow on Wifi until I popped two holes in the wall and ran an ethernet cable to it lol The PS4 Slim and Pro have a much better Wifi antenna than the base model but other than that the only other thing I can think of save for running an ethernet cable to the basement would be looking into a Wifi booster. 

Basically they plug into an outlet and extend the Wifi signal by acting like another router. That way you'll have a strong signal in the basement as if the actual router was in the basement.

Unfortunately I can't use a Ethernet cable from my living room to my basement, how wifi booster works ? Cause I see some of them has 300 mb connection what that means? That I will have 300 mb connection in my PS4?

6 minutes ago, SunnyCrappyYT said:

That I do not know, but it's waaaaaay better than I have wireless.

But it's still lagging some times 

Just now, smas16 said:

Unfortunately I can't use a Ethernet cable from my living room to my basement, how wifi booster works ? Cause I see some of them has 300 mb connection what that means? That I will have 300 mb connection in my PS4?

That might be that it supports up to those speeds. At most you'll get closest to your max speeds as if your router was in the same room basically.

This is essentially what they look like:

41ut+X0tgqL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Search for Wifi booster or extender. Your internet provider might even offer some. 

5 minutes ago, smas16 said:

20170725163457_39287.jpghttps://ibb.co/jQtF9J

What about this one ? It's says speed connection 300 mb ? Is this a wifi repeater too? And will improve my internet speed?

That that looks like one. I'm not sure if it'll actually boost your speeds to 300mb, but you'll get close to your 100mb speeds that you get in your living room while playing in the basement.

Just now, Death_Ninja said:

That that looks like one. I'm not sure if it'll actually boost your speeds to 300mb, but you'll get close to your 100mb speeds that you get in your living room while playing in the basement.

Hum , this one it's only 12 euros , but in some internet forums I'm reading that wifi repeaters dont speed up you connection only the range in your home ?

Just now, PermaFox said:

I understood they just bump the range, not the speed.  At least, that is all mine does, and I've tried a few of them.

Some say they improve internet speed other say that only bump the range I'm not sure yet

1 minute ago, smas16 said:

Some say they improve internet speed other say that only bump the range I'm not sure yet

I would say that nearly all of them just extend the signal so it's strong throughout your house. I wouldn't put too much stock in the ones that claim they make any significant increase to speeds other than whatever your max speeds already are.

So instead of getting 20mb speeds in the basement, you should get close to 100mb. The only reason I say "close" is because Wifi tends to fluctuate between max speed and a little lower like maybe 85-90mb in your case. 

2 minutes ago, Death_Ninja said:

I would say that nearly all of them just extend the signal so it's strong throughout your house. I wouldn't put too much stock in the ones that claim they make any significant increase to speeds other than whatever your max speeds already are.

So instead of getting 20mb speeds in the basement, you should get close to 100mb. The only reason I say "close" is because Wifi tends to fluctuate between max speed and a little lower like maybe 85-90mb in your case. 

Yeah I only want like 50 mb upload and download , just need to make sure when I buy a wifi repeater I will have almost the same connection as wired 

Just now, smas16 said:

Yeah I only want like 50 mb upload and download , just need to make sure when I buy a wifi repeater I will have almost the same connection as wired 

Oh ok, yeah you should be covered then if you're going for about half. The good thing is all of those gadgets are pretty cheap so you can fool around with different ones until you get one that works perfectly for you.

Get a Powerline Adapter I don't need one but I have heard good things from other people online. Plugs into your outlet, you plug your Ethernet cord from the router/modem into it. Then plug the other one into an outlet in the basement and plug Ethernet from the outlet to the console and you will still have a wired connection.

Edited by skateak
  • Like 3

Just get a Powerline Broadband Adapter (I use it and gets full speed,also stable.) that way you can use ethernet, why mess with wifi. Eww. 

Edit: dammit @skateak beat me to it.

Edited by ERGOPROXY-DECAY

2 hours ago, smas16 said:

The booster will only improve your range. Your speed may improve because it's getting a better wifi signal. It can't improve your speed beyond what your ISP provides. That particular booster is rated at 300 mbs; as in that's the most it can do. Not sure if there was some confusion about that.

1 hour ago, skateak said:

Get a Powerline Adapter I don't need one but I have heard good things from other people online. Plugs into your outlet, you plug your Ethernet cord from the router/modem into it. Then plug the other one into an outlet in the basement and plug Ethernet from the outlet to the console and you will still have a wired connection.

I think this is your best solution and what I'd do if I couldn't run an ethernet cable.

Edited by Rowdi
Grammer

PS4 has the worst Wi-Fi of all consoles at the moment, by far. (EDIT: This does also speed up a wired connection to some extent!)

You still can improve it a bit:

• Try setting up your Wi-Fi on your console manually.
  • At ''DNS'' settings go for 1.1.1.1 primary, 1.0.0.1 secondary
  • If those don't work go for 8.8.8.8 primary, 8.8.4.4 secondary
  • At ''MTU'' Settings go for 1460
  • With MTU you can experiment a bit. Try a range from 1400-1500 to find your best result, this may vary depending on your country's server locations
  • You can even try odd numbers: 1473 gets recommended a lot for example.
  • You can usally set the MTU size on your router as well. If you feel comfortable enough you can adjust it to match the setting of your console.
  • I'd recommend 1460 on the router as well.

I ignored the obvious tips because I'm sure they already got mentioned, I can't however be bothered to read through them all.

Hope this helps, if only a little.

J

Edited by Paleblood
  • Like 2