Suggestion: Change back the layout on our PSN profiles or give the option to do it

Which layout would you preffer?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. Which layout would you preffer?

• Bring back the old layout
    • Keep the new one
    • Change it to a different layout

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

Hm. The idea of using color to present information is normally good, but we'd have to consider the folks who are visually impaired. It works in the rank column because you can still see the actual rank, even if you're colorblind.

I would think that visually impaired could also mean having trouble distinguishing between gold, silver and bronze trophies as well?...if rank represents a completion of a game then perhaps x / trophies or x% in progress bar might be enough of a visual cue despite being unable to see colour?...or should it also say 5 g, 55 s, 555 b since there's no explanation of order?...

my goal was to suggest alternatives to what has been presented while bearing in mind the complaints of the new display while also noticing that sly seems to be adamant on the platform moving to the left side...again, I rarely ever use profile pages so not sure what would be practical at all...

I think the left side should just be the game picture and name, as our profiles on the site are meant to be aesthetically pleasing, otherwise what’s the point in having a trophy cabinet and custom backgrounds for statistics - some of which people don’t even use, just clutter up the page.

Stats should be on the right, and it’s always been this way and I wouldn’t consider it an inconvenience either as a trophy list for many is a display of their favourite games like on a shelf, and the statistics should be there but off to the side for those interested.

Some personal thoughts:

Rows like these really look a bit off to me:

GTlFnYA.png

j52ROJH.png

What I dislike is that games with long titles that aren't started yet have quite a lot of free space on the right. And if there's if consoles are now put below the title of the game, the region-tag also could be added to that row. Seeing the Tag for Cyberdimension in it's own row seems a bit off to me. Maybe this would also be a chance to make the region-tags look like the console-tags, only with a different color? That would also remove that rather ugly bullet point that sticks out like a sore thumb.

Other things that come to my mind:

• Maybe shrink the size of the the "time"-column and separate the completion time and the preceding text "Completed in:/Platinumed in:" by a newline? This would give the possibility to shrink the width of the time-column and give the game's title a bit more room. It would especially reduce the space required by those "Missing timestamp"-cases:
    Spoiler

BKUiSLs.png

• Trophy count:
    Shrink the size of the row for the detailed trophy list (x gold, y silver, z bronze) and put it below the progress bar. Seeing the detailed number of earned trophies above and the total number below the progress bar narrows the progress bar in some way. Can't really describe it but putting the textual trophy information makes it easier to grasp for me.

An example that would include all the changes could look like this

hR4yy3e.png

The color for the region tag was chosen by random as I saw that there was a css-class defined for red tags. Don't know if it's the best choice as I'm not visually impaired but it would help to differentiate between console- and region-tags.

Edited by Crimson Idol
  • Like 1

@Sly Ripper  I am actually quite fond of the new layout after the tweaks (fits better with the rest of the site) but what I don’t get is why the months of the dates are written out in full on our profiles (22nd July 2018) but are shortened on trophy lists we’ve earned trophies on (22nd Jul 2018).

I prefer the abbreviated months if I’m honest as it keeps them all roughly the same length and thus looks neater. Also gives games with longer titles a little more space before going on to another line (possibility if the time taken to complete stat is shorted to?)

Edited by dell9300
  • Like 1

I didn't see what the previous versions of the profile update looked like, but honestly, I really like the new layout currently on our profiles. The biggest thing that's standing out to me is the "rd", "th", "st" superscripts on the dates. They look really out-of-place compared to the rest of the layout.

But I definitely prefer this current setup over the old layout.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crimson Idol said:

An example that would include all the changes could look like this

hR4yy3e.png

I actually like parts of this. I don't know about the region tags, but this is a better way to present the dates. As others have said, I think including the suffixes in dates (rd, st, th) is off-putting, but having the actual time to complete/platinum a game on its own line (and making it bold) reads a lot better when you're scrolling. It also saves room for the game's title.

Similarly, the last column looks better. Having the progress bar in the middle is...weird. Putting it on top, and then having the trophies below it, is more aesthetically pleasing. You'd essentially be creating a border between that game's trophies and the one below it.

I notice the console labels are smaller now, and they look MUCH better.

• Like 1

I just wish the dates and console tags were switched, at least.

When I'm looking at somebody's profile, I don't really need to see which platforms the games are on. That's the one piece of information you're able to find out from other sources. So I'm mostly interested in the user's personal stats.

If the dates were right under the title, I'd be able to take in a lot of information in one quick glance:

The title, the game's region, when they last played, how long it took them, the green/blue background indicating whether the game's complete, and out of the corner of my eye I'd be able to get a slight look at the filled-in platinum icon and progress bars.

It's so much more convenient to be able to do that as I scroll down the page, and when it comes to a user's personal list, all of those things are more relevant than a game's platform.

Now, thanks to the date being moved, my eyes have to dart around all over the place if I want to take everything in. It's a step down in convenience from the old method, which not only did the above, but also allowed you to easily see how many trophies had been earned.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I also like the old layout way more than the current one. If this is going to be used from now on, could the amount of trophies unlocked at be removed? That clutters the list a lot and imo it's pointless as a quick count of the bronze, silver, gold, and platinum trophies yields the same result. Then there's the possibility of simply clicking the game to see that same information :ninja: .

I think it's really good for lists where you don't have all the trophies, as the % doesn't really indicate how many trophies you're missing since that's weighed by trophy points instead of number of trophies.

But for lists where you already have all the trophies, I agree, it's a lot of unnecessary information which really clutters the list. Something like this could help with that, since there's already some kind of calculation going on if it replaces "50 of 50" with "All 50" (I used my own games list to demonstrate what removing the div completely looks like for complete lists - and I was also messing around with the dates area but forgot to change it back, which is why the September is small, ignore that):

Untitled-1.png

I personally think this helps a lot, since it removes clutter except where it provides actually useful information. Because otherwise you can see how many trophies you actually have, but not how many there are in total since that's not displayed elsewhere on your main profile page.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Kristycism said:

I think it's really good for lists where you don't have all the trophies, as the % doesn't really indicate how many trophies you're missing since that's weighed by trophy points instead of number of trophies.

But for lists where you already have all the trophies, I agree, it's a lot of unnecessary information which really clutters the list. Something like this could help with that, since there's already some kind of calculation going on if it replaces "50 of 50" with "All 50" (I used my own games list to demonstrate what removing the div completely looks like for complete lists - and I was also messing around with the dates area but forgot to change it back, which is why the September is small, ignore that):

Untitled-1.png

I personally think this helps a lot, since it removes clutter except where it provides actually useful information. Because otherwise you can see how many trophies you actually have, but not how many there are in total since that's not displayed elsewhere on your main profile page.

That looks a lot better. Though I'd still rather move the "34 of 46 Trophies" part below the date, since that part is now blank. Only that will be problematic when platting the game and not obtaining all the DLC trophies :hmm:

• Like 3

Around 80% of users seem to preffer the old layout. I was wondering what brought this sudden change, I dont remember it ever being changed or at least not on this scale. I think the old layout was what made this site so great thats why people preffer it a lot more than any others. All the information was perfectly well positioned.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Dragon-Archon said:

That looks a lot better. Though I'd still rather move the "34 of 46 Trophies" part below the date, since that part is now blank. Only that will be problematic when platting the game and not obtaining all the DLC trophies :hmm:

Hmm, yeah, I see what you mean. I do actually like it where it is so all the info is together, but it would look more aesthetically pleasing to be under the date since it'd keep the height of all the rows more equal, which always looks nicer. But like you said, games with DLC not complete would cause issues, and I can't really think of a good solution for that :(

I also think the date column already takes up too much room as it is though, especially on mobile since it ends up with even shorter game titles ending up on the next row. There was a suggestion earlier that I can't find now which had the "Platinum in" on a separate line from the time to plat/complete, which was better.

• Like 2

I didn't like the new version but do prefer it more since the tweaks but would likely pick the old version should the option become available. 

A separate question I have is would it ever be possible to just select the console you played the game on to display for ones that are multi platform? Basically Hotline Miami shows as a shared trophy list between PS3, PS4 and Vita however I played it all on the Vita (except for a bugged trophy) would it be possible to show this on my profile? 

2 hours ago, Dragon-Archon said:

I also like the old layout way more than the current one. If this is going to be used from now on, could the amount of trophies unlocked at be removed? That clutters the list a lot and imo it's pointless as a quick count of the bronze, silver, gold, and platinum trophies yields the same result. Then there's the possibility of simply clicking the game to see that same information :ninja: .

WY6dr7U.png

It really is this part that bugs me too.

Even the main poster on the website agrees. That's got to count for something, right? ?

• Like 1

Personally I'm indifferent to the change. I like the look of it, but there are a number of valid concerns brought up in this thread (especially those of accessibility). I'm sure Sly has good reason for making the changes and I think we should wait until we see how they fit in with the series before we trash the idea.

I get that Sly wanted the profiles to match the games list more, but it undoubtedly looks much worse as the vast majority of the people here agree. Instead of changing the profile layout to match the games list, why not just do it the other way around? Make the games list look more like the old profile layout (such as by having the console tags on the right) and I think a lot less people would have a problem with it. Either that or just have two different-looking layouts - I don't see why they need to look similar since they handle different information.

I'm really not a fan of how games with longer titles have a line break now - it looks really ugly. And as people have rightly pointed out, moving the date to the right side makes it more difficult to scan through someone's list and check when they played each game. The console tags just aren't as important.

1 hour ago, Kristycism said:

Untitled-1.png

I totally agree with you. I like having the "X of X Trophies" underneath the percentage for incomplete games, but it's pretty redundant for games with 100% completion since the gold/silver/bronze trophy count already reveals that information. Your idea would make it look much less cluttered - I hope it gets implemented.

• Like 3

I have to admit that my eyes were bleeding T_T when I first saw the changes in the layout of our PSN profiles but, after a while, things started to simmer down and now everything looks cool to me. I'm fine either way with the old or the new layout. After skimming down the thread (sorry, I didn't read all of the comments) I noticed a vast majority of the people seems to prefer the old layout.

I think it would be wise to revert to the old one or, better yet, give the option to use any kind of layout the user deems appropriate. That way everyone wins... except whoever has to program that into the site as I imagine that would require some extra coding work.

I didn't vote because there is no "I'm fine either way" or "Have the users choose their own layout" option to choose :o 

prefer the old layout. if they don't want to change it i'll just accept it as it was. it doesn't impact my trophy hunting at the slightest.

going to get the last world and the tower completed then i gotta see about the marathon requirement for a tonic in yooka laylee.