JRPG Recommendations

puckelberry

I've just finished my first run through Fairy Fencer F:Advent Dark Forces and unexpectedly loved it. So I'm after some JRPG recommendations especially with a similar anime style to the tales of, or ni no kuni games. 

I've already finished Persona 5, Tales of xillia 1&2, tales of zesteria, tales of berseria, ni no kuni 1&2 

Thanks in advance

There is probably many threads already people recommending JPRGs, but...

I will recommend my favourite developers games: Nihon Falcom

Ys Memories of Celceta

Ys Lacrimosa of Dana

Tokyo Xanadu

Trails of Cold Steel

Trails of Cold Steel II

There are more Trails/Kiseki games, but they are JPN only.

Hope I was helpful. :)

• Like 1

Judging by your list it looks like you don't have a Vita, which is a shame because there's lots of JRPGs on it. 

Neptunia VII plays almost the same as FFF, and I don't think you're missing out on too much if you skip the trilogy. Shining Resonance just came out and I hear people like it. Star Ocean 4 is very similar to Tales if you can look past the horrible plat. If you like fighting big monsters there's God Eater and Toukiden.

If you're looking for action JRPGs like the Tales series you can go with

• .hack//G.U. Last Recode
  • Star Ocean Till the End of Time
  • Star Ocean The Last Hope
  • Megadimension Neptunia VII

If you're looking for turn-based you can go with

• Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth
  • World of Final Fantasy

And if you're okay with straight action RPGs you can go with

• Ys Origin
  • Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5
  • Kingodom Hearts 2.8

That's assuming you just have a PS4. If you had a Vita or a PS3, there's a ton more games.

On Ps4 I would recommend Star Ocean The Last Hope Remaster, Star Ocean Integrity and Faithlessness, Cosmic Star Heroine, Star Ocean Till The End of Time, Rouge Galaxy, Wild Arms 3, Dark Cloud, and Dark Cloud 2.

One bit of warning if you decide to get any of the Star Ocean games, the time you need to invest to get the platinum on them is alot, especially with The Last Hope.

i'm a huge JRPG fan too, particularly Tales and FF! 

In terms of anime style RPG's similar to Tales: Ys VIII, Star Ocean Series, Shining Resonance and Odin Sphere.

The Atelier series is pretty good. There is a good few of them, I recommend Atelier Sophie although Lydie & Suelle and Firis are more recent entries. I have just played Sophie and really enjoyed it, and it's a good intro for those who haven't played the series before.

Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 and 2.8 (PS3/PS4): I've been a fan of the KH games since the originals were released over a decade ago, but these remakes pretty much package the whole lot into 2 discs. As it's a couple of games and each is long enough, it's good value for money too. Birth By Sleep, KH2 and Dream Drop Distance are really good. It's an action RPG like Tales.

If you have an interest in Dragon Quest where the design is like Dragonball, Dragon Quest Heroes is not bad. DQ XI is coming out soon in Sep. 

I also recommend Nippon Ichi's games like Disgaea. It's an SRPG, but really funny with really in depth gameplay. I've played 1, 4, 5 and D2 so far, but only 5 is on the PS4. A remake of the first game is coming out on the PS4 soon as well. On the PS3, there is a compilation with D2, 3 and 4 all in one. 

Not sure if this qualifies as anime style, but Nier Automata is a fantastic JRPG, fast action battles, lots of side quests and exploration and a deep story. Not relevant but 2B (the Main character) has become a popular cosplay at anime and gaming cons ?

There are a few more niche marmite titles that depend on your tastes, like Blue Reflection, Lost Sphere, Akiba's Beat and Digimon Cyber Sleuth. 

I have a few friends really into the Sword Art online games. They are anime style and made by Namco like Tales, might be worth checking out. I haven't played them myself, just watched the anime. 

FF is not really anime, but World of Final Fantasy is kind of anime style with the characters looking more cute and colourful. It's a turn based battle system with monster catching, similar to pokemon. 

If you want to play the old fashioned jrpgs on the playstation 3 or 4, get a ps4 copy of the Sega Collection; it includes Sega's jrpgs from the Mega Drive era, such as Landstalker, Story of Thor, the Shining series and the Phantasy Star series. If you have a playstation 3,  Grandia, FF: Tactics, Arc the Lad trilogy, Alundra, Chrono Trigger and Vagrant Story are good - buy them from the PS store. If you can understand Japanese, purchase Langrisser IV & V from the ps3 JP online store.

The SNES has an awesome backlog of jrpgs that weren't released overseas. You can get most of them easily via emulation. I recommend Chrono Trigger, the SNES FF games, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, Earthbound (Mother 2), Dragon Quest series, Tales of Phantasia and the Lufia series. There are many others that I cannot remember right now. I recommend going to sites like hardcore gaming and rpgfan to find out more about the best jrpg games for old gaming consoles.

The Ys series is great. Falcom is one of my favourite jrpg companies from Japan. If you enjoy action rpgs like Zelda, play the Ys series. Far superior to Zelda, imo.

Edited by thepeaguy
  • Like 1

Hmm, recomandations for JRPGs...

Well, if you're a fan of Final Fantasy, there's Final Fantasy 7 (Which is the PC Port which badly needs some patches, but the gameplay is good), Final Fantasy X1 and X2 (All in one disc or digital download) Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age (Which is a enhanced port of the original PS2 with the new Zodiac Job system), World of Final Fantasy (If you like Pokemon like combat) and Final Fantasy XV (If you don't mind the ongoing updates to it).

If you're a fan of Star Ocean, there's Star Ocean: Till the End of Time as a PS2 Classic for PS4. Star Ocean 4 and 5 if you don't mind the negative things about them that is.

If you like the Hyperdimension Neptunia series, there's Megadimension Neptunia VII (Either the original or the VR remake) and Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online. If you don't mind importing Neptunia games, there's the PS4 version of the remake to the very first Neptunia game that started it all.

If you're into Digimon, I recommend Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth and it's companion Hacker's Memory. Or if you're a fan of Digimon World for the PS1, there's Digimon World: Next Order.

If you're a Kingdom Hearts fan, there's Kingdom Hearts 1.5 + 2.5 and 2.8 while we wait for Kingdom Hearts 3 next year.

If you're into Dragon Quest, the upcoming Dragon Quest XI for PS4 will satisfy your Dragon Quest needs if you're not interested in Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2.

If you're a .Hack fan. There's .Hack GU: Last Recode which features enhanced remasters of the original trilogy for PS2 along with a 4th volume which acts like an epilogue to the trilogy.

If you don't mind time focused JRPGs, there's the Atelier series like Atelier Sophie.

Like Satoshi, I also recommend Shining Resonance Refrain. I got the launch edition of the game, mind you.

The Tales series is also a good choice of JRPGs. There's Tales of Zestira if you don't mind the backlash to it, Tales of Berasia and the upcoming and long awaited PS3 now PS4 enhanced version of Tales of Vesperia that debuted on Xbox 360;

The Sword Art Online games are also great if you're a fan of the anime and light novel series and if you don't mind playing as Kirito in three of the SAO games and the crossover game with Accel World. Fatal Bullet also lets you make your own created character the main focus of that game.

And finally, if Indie JRPGs interested you, I would say I go for Shiness: The Lightning Kingdom. There's also PS2 Classic JRPGs like Wild Arms 3 and Arc the Lad.

And that's about it. Sorry for the long post, but I wanted to give my recommendations of JRPGs to you. 

I'll throw in Brandish: The Dark Revenant (PSP/Vita), another Falcom JRPG that XSEED brought over.  It's an action RPG, but nothing like Ys or Tokyo Xanadu.  Your movement is grid-based & there are some traps to look out for, such as pits.  Some walls can be bashed out with a sledgehammer.  You can even fight without a sword if you want to build strength quicker. There's some unlockable content after you finish the main game.

Spoiler

After the main game is cleared, you get to play as Dela Delon through 10 even harder levels.

Here's 22 minutes of it from BlueMaxima's Gaming Channel on YT.

Thanks everyone for the recommendations I just picked up Atelier Sophie in the sale and it's really good but very different from what I was expecting but I'd recommend it to anyone interested in JRPGs.

I've noticed a lot of people suggest Ys VIII, I'm wondering if I would have needed to play the other Ys?

9 minutes ago, puckelberry said:

I've noticed a lot of people suggest Ys VIII, I'm wondering if I would have needed to play the other Ys?

The only games directly connected to each other are Ys 1 and 2. Overall all games of the series are sharing common things like the same world (but each part plays in a different country/region/continent) and having the samin same main protagonist (with the exception of Ys Origin, which features unique main characters), or recurring NPCs but overall each entry can be played on it's own. I have played nearly all of them either on PC, PSP, or Vita (only missing VI: The Ark of Napishtim, and the unlocalized V: Kefin) and would say that you can play Lacrimosa without missing much except a few references to some foreign regions or specific character traits.

26 minutes ago, soniq said:

Since people are recommending games that aren't even JRPGs, I'll just throw Okage: Shadow King into the mix.

Let's throw in some more:

• Wild Arms 3
  • Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Final Fantasy IX
  • Star Ocean 5
  • Kingdom Hearts (1 and 2)
  • Bloodborne, and any Dark Souls games
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, puckelberry said:

Ys Origin, I & II are part of the same Ys Kingdom arc, but the other games are self-contained storylines in the same universe. 

They're only worth playing if you enjoy the series a lot.

47 minutes ago, thepeaguy said:

They're only worth playing if you enjoy the series a lot.

I dunno, I think Ys 3 (Oath in Felghana) has the best gameplay in the series, with Origin slightly behind, but unfortunately Oath or the original games don't have trophies. I played most Ys on steam, though. I&II is pretty much lore reasons, though. I think the actual Ys arc is generally much better than Adol's shipwrecking harem adventures, but in the end the series has been more about the gameplay traditionally speaking.

Not sure if I can give any super interesting recommendations. If you like games like Fairy Fencer, then you should have no problems with trying other niche games like Atelier or Neptunia, though they're far from identical. Do try the mainstream JRPG's too, games like FF XII was greatly enchanced on PS4.

If you do want something a bit more unusual, you can import the Super Robot Wars games. The translations in SRW V and X have little to no problems, but they can be expensive to get. These are also the first games ever to have (official) english translations in the crossover series (I mean everything but Original Generations). Imo SRW V is the better game (X is way too recycled), but I don't think Banpresto handles the games anymore so it doesn't have quite the same oomph as the older games.

• Like 1