The Naughty Dog Agenda

Undead Wolf

I don't find this evolution particularly odd or upsetting.  When you go 4+ games into a cinematic universe like Uncharted, you need to find compelling ways to evolve the story and the characters.  Which usually means starting to broach more personal topics.  The Last of Us is just an extension of that idea... especially so considering a post apocalyptic tale like this usually touches on many aspects of humanity.

If people are upset because they feel the lesbian kiss was shoehorned in to make the game appeal to a certain crowd... I'd say that's no better than the people upset if a game doesn't do that.  Just let the creative people do their thing and don't buy it if it bothers you.  The game is going to kick ass either way.

EDIT: I didn't watch the video, so I'm not saying anyone here is being unreasonable or saying anything in particular.  Just speaking generally.

Edited by Dreakon13
  • Like 4

18 minutes ago, nyonmyan said:

I'm not an expert on TLoU, but as far as I understand the girl has unique genetics that make her immune to zombie shrooms.

And the idea that the last hope of humanity is going to carpetmunch town instead of making kids is almost offensive to me.

LOL, nothing to say she isn't bi as far as I know. I did finish the game but can't really remember it, I found the gameplay boring and only the beginning of the story impactful enough to imprint itself on my memory. 

Besides, if she's gay she's gay. Tough luck on humanity I guess. 

Edited by thefourfoldroot

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

I don't find this evolution particularly odd or upsetting.  When you go 4+ games into a cinematic universe like Uncharted, you need to find compelling ways to evolve the story and the characters.  Which usually means starting to broach more personal topics.  The Last of Us is just an extension of that idea... especially so considering a post apocalyptic tale like this usually touches on many aspects of humanity.

If people are upset because they feel the lesbian kiss was shoehorned in to make the game appeal to a certain crowd... I'd say that's no better than the people upset if a game doesn't do that.  Just let the creative people do their thing and don't buy it if it bothers you.  The game is going to kick ass either way.

EDIT: I didn't watch the video, so I'm not saying anyone here is being unreasonable or saying anything in particular.  Just speaking generally.

This is offending the same crowd who probably don't want transgenders to become more prominent. No different from people hating on gays over the past decade, or the scorn and torture African Americans had to go through before the Civil Rights Movement gave them as many opportunities and chances as anyone else.

56 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

I haven't seen the video and have no time to watch it, but It's the way of the world now. Diversity of opinion is too dangerous in these days of the militant Internet and extreme "progressive" media. If you don't want your game savaged by the critics like a David Cage gamr, or by the "gamers" who like to make there voices loud, you only hire people with opinions that align with the online influencers; you release games that align with the opinions of the most vocal and vitriolic of online pressure groups; and you only criticise the people who have a live and let live attitude. This is true of ND and every other western developer. 

Do you not do Internet? 

Edit: reading through this it sounds like I'm against the depiction of lesbian kissing. Nothing could be further from the truth. I very much enjoy watching lesbians kissing. 

And ultimately this is what is going to help bring rise to the hivemind mentality where you cannot share an opinion unless it agrees with someone else.

Then again our generation thrives off of living on the internet. Interpersonal communication is becoming less and less prevalent.

54 minutes ago, ragnarok2887 said:

Complete and utter nonsense.  If this vitriolic audience is so against games and stories telling "different" stories, then don't buy them.  There is no agenda, there is no conspiracy, it is all utter, utter nonsense.  Give writers the freedom to create stories and characters that they want to create and let the stories stand up for themselves.

Personally I play games to experience other perspectives.  I don't want to just play characters that look and sound like me.  That is the beauty of games, that they allow you to see the world in which they are set from totally different viewpoints than you would typically experience.   

To live a world you will never experience in real life.

Again this falls back on those people who feel others should not have an opinion unless it agrees with them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ragnarok2887 said:

There is no agenda, there is no conspiracy, it is all utter, utter nonsense. 

There's a video out there where Druckmann explicitly says it was an agenda of him to create a strong, non-sexualized female character. So they had one (which doesn't mean that it has to be a conspiracy). 

I don't think the kiss would be discussed as much if Ellie's partner was male. Ellie's story arc has a lot of coming-of-age vibes to it, so giving her a relationship is fitting and helps characterize her more. Left Behind pretty much outed her as gay already, so this coupled with Naughty Dog's interviews over the years should've made it clear to anyone that she's probably gonna be interested in another girl down the road. 

I personally couldn't care less about her being gay. She's well written and Ashley Johnson is doing a superb job voicing her, that's what's important. 

I also think Ellie's tattoo is a way worse design choice than any of the game's diversity.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, BeautifulTorment said:

What a refreshing video. I've been saying this stuff for a long time now, the same sort of agenda shows up so often in mainstream TV too and it is just so exhausting. This guy expressed a viewpoint that is probably pretty common among gamers in a very eloquent and respectful way. He earned a new fan today.

Mainstream TV takes a long time to catch up and from what I see of it it's run by old farts who don't understand the world they're living in.

In TLOU1, the character Bill was gay and it was portrayed in a very sensible way. It was not a defining characteristic of the character. If you described Bill (eg bitter, lonely, resourceful) in probably up to 10 adjectives, 'gay' is not likely to be one of them because he is a well-defined and well-represented character. Why should anyone's sexuality be highlighted? 

There is a strong correlation between creative minds and liberal political views (specifically, views of "tolerance" (be it true tolerance or a more "pick and choose" tolerance). LBGTQAI+ social rights is a hot topic for the left at the moment, more so than when TLOU1 released, which was quite a while a go now.

I wish Ellie's sexuality was not highlighted as a defining characteristic, even though I am pro-gay and generally conservative. But I will still buy the game.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Edit: reading through this it sounds like I'm against the depiction of lesbian kissing. Nothing could be further from the truth. I very much enjoy watching lesbians kissing. 

cool, thanks for letting us know youre part of the problem too

• Like 1