Game Discussion

What does the forum think about this game? I checked out the gameplay on a video and think that it looks pretty sweet - sort of like the old games like Arcana which were first-person dungeon crawlers. Also, anyone want to discuss the trophy list? It looks like you can get the platinum just by completing the game and doing some post-game content involving going to the very deepest part of the dungeon. I know that dungeon crawlers get tougher as you descend but there's no bullhocky extra trophies, you just clear every floor of the dungeon and defeat the final secret bosses at the very bottom and you get the last trophies, everything else is story-related. I might pick this up when it comes out if it comes out at a decent price.

I may be wrong because the game's trophies do not give any hints as to how to earn them, they just give weird psycho-babblie. :P

Since I am such a generalist and like so many games; It tends to be hard for me to give an opinion on a game. Especially so if I haven't played but here is what will say about this game!

I like the gameplay style, even if I prefer others more; This one isn't bad. With the first person combat in turn based RPG removing the element of being able to view your characters and see more action, It forces the game to have to have prominent art and story to help draw in the player. This game feels like it has that from what I can tell. Other qualities could also make this game great that I am unaware of too. It reminds me of the old game that was interesting and difficult; Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord in the gameplay style alone but definitely more updated and probably much easier. It also reminds me of a more recent game; Demon Gaze II, that a friend showed me but I can't say how close of a match either are.

Being a lover of physical copies of games; I approve that this seems like it is going to have one. I would pre-order it even if I could but already have 2 games for that month that I will probably not touch for another year and yet inevitably still get them and try to play them. Well adding this to the List.... Oh dear, I gotta get caught up on games....

Anywyas; Yes that trophy list is very interesting and unique (far as I can tell); I approve of it even if it becomes a riddle to figure out how to achieve or whether it is simple. I like fresh methods of making trophies vibrant and popping rather than bland names or generalist trophies. It gives more to the list, IMHO. 

That is all. 

I've been waiting for this game since it was announced a short while back, honestly I can't wait. I've heard good things about it from importers too. Not a fan of DRPGs but this has got my full attention :).

The trophy list is interesting but your'e not exactly told what each of them are, I'm guessing its all story related? 

3 hours ago, Jelloycat said:

Those trophy descriptions are simply beautiful, how could you NOT love them?!

No, I don't mean that I hate the descriptions or anything, it's just that we're going to have wait until some experts play the game on multiple accounts to figure out what the requirements are for earning them and putting out a video or something. Meanwhile, I've got to start work on Reverie. I promised myself I'd complete a platinum before July ended in a week and day. xD

• Like 1

I'm very curious about this game and NIS really went overboard with the trophy descriptions :D Most trophies seem to be story-related, the last ones look like you have to defeat a boss or something. I can't wait to discover what it's all about. 

On 7/23/2018 at 11:26 PM, DragonQuest238 said:

No, I don't mean that I hate the descriptions or anything, it's just that we're going to have wait until some experts play the game on multiple accounts to figure out what the requirements are for earning them and putting out a video or something. Meanwhile, I've got to start work on Reverie. I promised myself I'd complete a platinum before July ended in a week and day. xD

Haha, true. They don't really tell you much about what you need to do. :P  Guessing a good amount will be story based, maybe some collectibles. 

Have fun with Reverie, it's a charming little game! 

• 1 month later...

I have more or less found out how those Trophies is unlocked

• Normal Bronze Trophies is "Floors"
  • Silver Trophies is "Keys/Story"
  • Lost Bronze Trophies is to find "Six Black Pages"

See the True End Guide to how to find "Six Black Pages"

https://www.justpushstart.com/2018/09/labyrinth-of-refrain-coven-of-dusk-true-end-guide/

Guide to everything

Edited by Leon Castle
  • Like 1

Warning

This game have Bad/Dead Endings as part of it's story, always have two save files at hand after the first Bad/Dead End, One for the "Fake" Clear Data and one for the Main Save.

once the Bad/Dead Ending is over and you have saved the "Fake" Clear Data. Start the "Fake" Clear Data not the Main Save, Took me some time to realized that.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Easily my game of the year actually, I love these kinds of games and while it might not be the best of this genre (Stranger of Sword City still edges it out slightly) I like the changes they make to the main concept. Only real flaw I had with it was how abilities were tied to the convents, meaning most of the classes differed only really in their skills, stats and weapon proficiency. Still a great game I could recommend to anyone interested in the genre though 

• Like 1