soniq

Layoffs at OnRush dev Evo, Driveclub director Rushy let go

13 posts in this topic

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-07-23-layoffs-onrush-developer-evolution-driveclub-director-rushy-let-go

The developer of Driveclub has been hit by layoffs after its latest game, OnRush, failed to set tills ringing.

OnRush's planned schedule of post-release content will not be affected by the layoffs, the publisher confirmed.

Seems like the game was a huge disappointment financially. Thought as much when it was -50% off on PSN not even one month after release.

A shame considering how much effort they put into their games. Technically both Driveclub and Onrush are amazing.

Gambling on something new that divided opinions combined with poor marketing from Codemasters and a beta that poorly represented the full game doomed it.  Still wish Sony kept them and still don't know why they didn't.  While Driveclub had the launch issues it still went on to sell well as did the Motorstorm series so it isn't like Evo were failing to move software.

Bringing back Grid with a Driveclub-esque game would have been a safer bet.  Easier to sell an established name than a new-IP and too much risk in gambling like they did.  This is Bizarre Creations all over again with how they gambled on The Club right out of the gates instead of a safer bet.  Hopefully Rushy can form a new studio or find a new home like Playground Games and get some momentum back.

Edited by Hayabusa85

I'm confused.. 

Didn't Sony closed Evolution Studios after Driveclub Bikes release and before Driveclub VR was released? 

Even if the same group of people worked on Onrush, it's no longer the same studio, or I'm missing something? 

Still, it's sad, but it became quite common in the gaming industry since the start of the current Gen of consoles. 

1 hour ago, Hayabusa85 said:

This is Bizarre Creations all over again with how they gambled on The Club right out of the gates instead of a safer bet.  Hopefully Rushy can form a new studio or find a new home like Playground Games and get some momentum back.

Reading the article acually reminded me of Blur and how that killed Bizarre.

To be honest, I also didn't get Onrush and the beta killed off all the interest I had in the game. The first trailer looked fun, and I fully expected them to return to the Motorstorm formula with a fresh coat of paint.

39 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

I'm confused.. 

Didn't Sony closed Evolution Studios after Driveclub Bikes release and before Driveclub VR was released? 

Even if the same group of people worked on Onrush, it's no longer the same studio, or I'm missing something?

Afaik the developers from Evolution were picked up by Codemasters after Sony let them go.

Unfortunately this was probably a done deal when CodeMasters took over. They are the racing game equivalent of EA.

The problem with MP heavy game formats is that if the game doesn't catch on day one, it is doomed. This game had little marketing, and the fact that it was a racer/not really a racer probably didn't help.

Plus, with CodeMasters you have to assume there will be lots of overpriced DLC incoming, so that probably doesn't  help sales either.

The premise for Onrush was confusing to me from the beginning and on top of that it wasn’t advertised very well. 

Also, this formula for a racing game just didn’t do it for me. I would have much preferred a new DriveClub or MotorStorm. 

Edited by Intresseklubben

The game sounded boring when they announced it, after every gameplay video I saw confirmed more and more my suspicions and with the non-existent marketing, it's no surprise that it didn't catch on.

It's a shame really, as I was never involved in the Driveclub debacle because I got into it late, I felt it was a very solid game, a nice mix of arcade in the handling with the need to follow a more sim like racing line to go fast. It also have one of the best bang for the buck season pass, only scummy thing they did IMO was putting 2 DLC outside of the season pass and putting the trophies in the Driveclub Bikes list.

1 hour ago, Intresseklubben said:

The premise for Onrush was confusing to me from the beginning and on top of that it wasn’t advertised very well.

I'll echo this.. I purchased it assuming Motorstorm for PS4... But... it was not.

On the flip side, I look at this game now (after playing it for a little) as a game by itself, though it isn't the Motorstorm I was hoping for, it's a 'racing' game that takes racing where it's never gone before.  I absolutely love the game and and very glad I picked it up.. definitely one of those games that i'll be playing for quite some time.

But yes, it isn't Motorstorm.

The cost of entry is an immediate put-off. I didn't get it until it was on sale and I would certainly have not paid what they were asking (100 fucking dollars over here). I also think they should have put a race mode in even if it's not a heavy part of the game, as racing is probably my least favourite part of those Burnout style games but I still kind of expect it to be there. The problem is the game tries to kind of be like Burnout with its takedowns and whatnot but takedowns are far too difficult to pull off consistently. Everyone is boosting all the time so it's a race to just keep pace with your opponents, let alone smash them. CPUs also seem to have a much easier time destroying you however, as I've rammed opponents in ways that destroyed me outright but do nothing to them. Sometimes you'll go an entire match without destroying anyone and while it's not the point of most game modes you still expect it to be accessible and satisfying to pull off, as it is in Burnout. Also holy shit the respawn time is just awful, as well as all of the post match menus you can't skip through. I have to mention the sondtrack as well with the usual annoying five track loop you hear in all of these arcade racers.

It's an alright game, just far too expensive for what it is and it's a bit frustrating trying to pull off its vaunted mechanics. 

I had a good giggle at an early game cutscene showing how popular the game was in universe considering what happened here; a bit presumptuous if you ask me. 

On 9/20/2018 at 11:27 PM, LunchCannon54 said:

...takedowns are far too difficult to pull off consistently.

CPUs also seem to have a much easier time destroying you however, as I've rammed opponents in ways that destroyed me outright but do nothing to them.

Sometimes you'll go an entire match without destroying anyone

Also holy shit the respawn time is just awful, as well as all of the post match menus you can't skip through.

it's a bit frustrating trying to pull off its vaunted mechanics. 

Everything you said just means you need practice. A well made game and the only viable thing you said was you can't skip certain cut scenes after wrecking.

9 hours ago, SwampGas said:

Everything you said just means you need practice. A well made game and the only viable thing you said was you can't skip certain cut scenes after wrecking.

Mate, it's a pretty common complaint that takedowns are far harder to pull off than they should be considering the AI is pretty consistently ahead of you, and with no map it's even harder to plan them. Add to the fact that the challenges ask you at times to perform very specific types of takedowns and that exacerbates the issue. I can take a fair few takedowns (I think my best is like 12 or something) in a match when I'm trying to but they just feel exhausting to pull off. I mean you have to just catch up to them first, then try and jostle them into an environmental hazard or hit them more than once and it isn't always clear who gets the best of it. I'm not asking the game to just flat out give me takedowns but at least make them fun to earn. I think that's why the fodder is there, to give you something to hit in the meantime but it's still not very cathartic. 

Edited by LunchCannon54

10 hours ago, LunchCannon54 said:

Mate, it's a pretty common complaint that takedowns are far harder to pull off than they should be [You are the first person I've heard complain about it]

and with no map it's even harder to plan them. [Practice... Know the Map]

I mean you have to just catch up to them first, [Not Difficult - If you are truly having problems with that cut some corners, there are plenty of times throughout the games that the AI takes a very wide turn around the course... just cut the corner and you will be in front of them.]

then try and jostle them into an environmental hazard or hit them [Not Difficult]
more than once [Just Once if you do it right, unless you are a lightweight taking on a tank...]

and it isn't always clear who gets the best of it. [Very Untrue - Front 50% of the Car is the damaging part of the car, the back 50% is the weaker part (In Terms of crashing/wrecking others]

I'm not asking the game to just flat out give me takedowns but at least make them fun to earn. [I have a blast taking down an entire team with Rush, or Pancaking them]

I think that's why the fodder is there, to give you something to hit in the meantime [It's a means of generating boost without hitting a jump/barrel roll] 

Again, it seems like you need practice (not knowing the courses solidified my opinion about that) - Keep practicing, get better. It's not that difficult of a game.

On 9/24/2018 at 9:31 AM, SwampGas said:

Again, it seems like you need practice (not knowing the courses solidified my opinion about that) - Keep practicing, get better. It's not that difficult of a game.

I did say I can regularly get takedowns, it's just more exasperating than it should be and doesn't really feel that satisfying to pull off. Knowing the map isn't really the issue considering how basic they are, it is more to do with everyone constantly boosting so keeping pace is more difficult than it should be. Cutting corners really isn't an option and is a very vague solution at best. You also have no way of looking behind you beyond a very vague indicator in some game modes, so often you will just get blitzed by someone you had no idea was coming and had no real way of knowing they would hit you. That is a problem that could be easily solved with the inclusion of a map or at least a look behind button which pretty much every other driving game on the planet has. 
One of my larger gripes with it though is the always online requirement (at least if you want the Platinum). I've had moments in the SINGLE PLAYER where I've had a random disconnect mid tournament or post match and all of my progress has just been wiped for that attempt, with no obvious issues with my internet present. The fact that you can lose progress in SINGLE PLAYER due to a momentary server issue is beyond inexcusable, regardless of whether or not it was your internet. I'm glad this didn't happen while attempting the final tournament else I would have flipped my shit. It treats its single player far too much like its multiplayer down to getting kicked back to the menu for a server or internet issue and the obnoxious respawn times and unskippable menus.

Looks like they're getting the message at least that the cost is far too high given how often I've seen it discounted.