Why is everyone complaining?

Midnightwards666

So this game is not well reviewed online. But why? I had never heard of Qbert before playing this game... and so far this has been very amusing. I have only completed 24 reboot levels, and all of them have been easy. 

Additionally, why is everyone complaining about the controls? I have experienced no control issues. If you try to do a diagonal jump while standing still you will probably end up in trouble... but if you keep moving, just hold down the buttons on dpad before landing your next jump and all will be fine. If for some reason you're forced to press down+right (example) after landing... it's still easy. Just pause the game, hold down+right on dpad then unpause with circle button. I'm not even a dpad player on other games.

I know this game will become more difficult later and I haven't got far on classic mode yet... but that's fine, I like hard games. So far, I like this game very much. 

Edited by Midnightwards666
  • Like 1

I played the original in the arcades way back in the 80's so I can appreciate the fact that it doesn't hold the same classic retro appeal, though personally that didn't bother me about this reboot.

I did find the controls very frustrating though. In the original there were only 4 directions/diagonals, each separated by 90 degrees so if you wanted to move down-right, you pointed the controller in that general direction and that's where it went. There was no ambiguity in what you wanted it to do. With this one's hexagonal tiles, the difference between down and down-right is much smaller than 90 degrees and requires a bit more precision, otherwise you could end up moving down instead of the down-right that you wanted. Yeah, your work-around by pausing between moves or using the d-pad would help but I feel that just makes the gameplay clunky and takes away from the fluid smoothness of movement. I'm glad you enjoy it, myself I just didn't have the patience for it. I played on a friend's ps4, so I'm glad I didn't add it to my trophy list because it would probably be left unfinished.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, crft555 said:

For me it just doesn't show the classic retro appeal of the original.

I play it on Vita and just never was able to hold my attention.

I played it on Vita too and the load times between levels were just ludicrous considering how small the game was. I love QBert but that absolutely ruined it for me.

• 3 years later...
On 7/24/2018 at 10:36 PM, SuperUnDonny said:

I played the original in the arcades way back in the 80's so I can appreciate the fact that it doesn't hold the same classic retro appeal, though personally that didn't bother me about this reboot.

I did find the controls very frustrating though. In the original there were only 4 directions/diagonals, each separated by 90 degrees so if you wanted to move down-right, you pointed the controller in that general direction and that's where it went. There was no ambiguity in what you wanted it to do. With this one's hexagonal tiles, the difference between down and down-right is much smaller than 90 degrees and requires a bit more precision, otherwise you could end up moving down instead of the down-right that you wanted. Yeah, your work-around by pausing between moves or using the d-pad would help but I feel that just makes the gameplay clunky and takes away from the fluid smoothness of movement. I'm glad you enjoy it, myself I just didn't have the patience for it. I played on a friend's ps4, so I'm glad I didn't add it to my trophy list because it would probably be left unfinished.

What this guy said is a pretty good summary.

I completed the Rebooted version and the game is beautiful from a graphics standpoint.  The music I thought was alright to, even if its repetitive its a puzzle game.  Difficulty ...maybe a few hard levels in the end.

What ruins the game is the controls, and I only mean for Rebooted, Qbert Classic might be more difficult from the standpoint of beating 19 levels in a row without running out of lives, however the controls are very good in classic having only 4 directions you can move to.  The hexagonal tiles while looking better and not causing the same hypnotic 3D effect that classic has on my eyes just cause too many problems.  People say "go get a fightstick" and honestly with what I pay on games or peripherals I probably should, yet when I look at a PS controller with the toggles I think...aren't they mini-fightsticks?  

It is so frustrating with the controls on Rebooted, unless you are a terrible player at this game I tell you this, you will die more times due to accidentally jumping off the edge than due to the enemies in the game.  Its that ridiculous.  Adding insult to injury is if you were trying to go somewhere by pressing Up and instead went Up/Right and died, a nano-second later the game revives you on the top hexagon and without picture perfect reflexes its going to think you want to keep going Up and have you get killed a second time jumping off that top middle hexagon.  So damn stupid.  Its frustrating.  I've got to the end of a level needed 1 last hex to jump on to win and have had my Q*Bert jump right off the map.

My advice for people playing and this is strange, yet is to learn patience with Q*Berts jumping, or tap each direction you want him to jump.  Its the only thing that finally making me get better, and then still the game will not read your inputs correctly and you will die here and there yet you should have enough ability to beat the game.

The game is fun and is aesthetically pleasing, and would be a much better game if half the battle wasn't the player fighting against poor controls.