Update 6.0 Name Changes Maybe?

TactikalKitty

I hope not, I hope Sony delays this as long as possible! There are some games I've played in the past where people change their names constantly and it's annoyingly difficult to try to keep up with who is who and after a while it's like "Who are these people?" to half of the friends list xD 

• Like 4

If it's added, that's cool. I like this name, reminds me of certain things...

Would be nice to have a history quick tab or something to show a persons previous maybe couple names they used like steam. We have even name change here at psnp and ive seen plenty use it. 

If it makes someone happy im all for it. Doesn't really hurt me. Don't see why some are so against it just cause they may not use it. Theres plenty of crap PSN had pushed out that sucks. Hopefully they do it right.

But I dont know about a full id change considering how ps3 games or even 4 may use id tag in save file. Maybe itll fk up the save files.

Rather late to make a name change at this point in time.

Even if it was an option I wouldn't use it for fear of people not knowing who I am. I made that mistake once with a MMORPG and ended up getting a bunch of people off my Friends List because they didn't know who the fuck I was by the time I made several name changes.

I don't want to change my name necessarily, but I wouldn't mind changing this account to something else... then freeing up Dreakon13 to use on a different, new account.  Then I might make that new one my main account and consider getting into trophy hunting again.  Completion-wise this one is just too far gone.

Since that probably isn't going to happen though... I'll just find a way to continue playing games for games and not for trophies/achievements.  Sigh.

I think they said something about it being available this year, but I'm not counting on it.
I'll probably wind up changing mine I would just make a new account but I bought too many PSN avatars on this account to be doing that.
I don't necessarily hate my PSN ID mainly would rather be something although I'm pretty sure the first name I have in mind is too long so I'll probably go with the 2nd one.
Once PSN allows name changes I'll probably join the premium member thing on this site as well.
That and Xbox has had this feature since Xbox 360.

I know Sony was putting this into heavy consideration with that article they put out back in...March...I think. But I honestly think it's something that will be a launch feature with the PS5. 

As for me? I wouldn't change it unless it allowed me to use just "Viper", which seems to be an account that blocks viewing anything on it. So it's not likely I would. I've been using this name in place of "Viper" since 2001 (made it on AIM), long before PSN...so I'm content with it. 

9 hours ago, MMDE said:

I think if you get "name change", it might be something like they've done in Japan, just have a different display name.

This is what I’m thinking it will be as well. It might in fact be the only way possible or feasible if one assumes they used the PSN name as the primary key.

Not this crap again...

Name change needs to be implemented server-side first and probably then on all systems (and PC/mobile as well), not just PS4 because it's so special and modern.

But i don't see it happen anytime soon, since they can't even fix their own download queue in the Store.

Edited by Lance_87

14 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

Not this crap again...

Name change needs to be implemented server-side first 

Whilst you are partly correct in that the change would need to be done server side it would also need to be added to the console side.

How else would you see the option on your PS4 to change your name / details if it wasn't added to the console aswell as the server?

So if PSN name changes do happen it will need to be a part of a console firmware update (6.0 seems likely) as well as a simultaneous PSN server update.

18 minutes ago, Haysi_Fantaysee said:

Whilst you are partly correct in that the change would need to be done server side it would also need to be added to the console side.

How else would you see the option on your PS4 to change your name / details if it wasn't added to the console aswell as the server?

So if PSN name changes do happen it will need to be a part of a console firmware update (6.0 seems likely) as well as a simultaneous PSN server update.

Why didn't you quote the full post? I clearly wrote "and probably then on all systems".

Edited by Lance_87

On 26.7.2018 at 2:37 AM, Phil said:

If anybody has a case for changing their shitty psn name, it's me. I wouldn't change mine even if it was free.

At least you didn't call yourself zZ_W33d-Sl4YAz-420_Xx or something with the words dark or sniper in them. :D

20 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Why didn't you quote the full post? I clearly wrote "and probably then on all systems".

Yes you said 'probably' and I am saying there is no 'probably' about it. It would absolutely need to be added to PS4 otherwise how else can you change the setting on the console if it has not been added in a console firmware update?

Some people think for PSN name changes to happen it only needs a PSN update and does not need a PS4 update, but it absolutely does.

23 minutes ago, Haysi_Fantaysee said:

Yes you said 'probably' and I am saying there is no 'probably' about it. It would absolutely need to be added to PS4 otherwise how else can you change the setting on the console if it has not been added in a console firmware update?

Some people think for PSN name changes to happen it only needs a PSN update and does not need a PS4 update, but it absolutely does.

Ok, but again... what's the point in being able to see the changed usernames only on PC, mobile (in the Store and the other official PlayStation sites) and PS4, and not on PS3 and Vita? They're still part of PSN, despite being abandoned. Firmware updates for these consoles are still being released, only to fix piracy-related exploits, though.