Starting my PS3 liquid cooling project!

Syphon_Filter

Well, my old 60GB PS3 will die soon as it turned off 2 times by its self and red light was flashing. It has been 4 years since Sony fixed and now for sure the solder balls under the GPU and CPU are melting and not much left. By reducing the heat the PS3 will less longer. If anyone know the water blocks size for the PS3 60GB serial CECH that can fit? Let me know please. Here is a website that has the water block for PS3 but maybe there are better once to get. 
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=33627

If the solder has melted, even if you watercool, it's only a matter of time, but good luck :)

I know brother I will fix it first by reballing both GPU and CPU. So both of them will have brand new solder balls and than install liquid cooling system.

It would suck if I lost my playstation so close to ps4.

I know man lool. I hope not that will happen.

My PS3 has turned it self off also a couple times, but never while playing a game and it hasn't happened in a couple months. I have 160GB slim.

Do I have to worry? (Sorry if I spam your thread)

Well, the slim PS3 should less longer due to the small size of the GPU and CPU. The heat that run through them is between 23 to 31 percent and the phat PS3 is 55 due to big size of the GPU and CPU. I don't see something bad will happen to your PS3 and I personally have had this issue with my slim PS3 2 or 3 times. So, don't worry.

Larkooler water cooling system waterblock VGA WB 20

dpLoLt8l.jpg

7RSY6wjl.jpg

Om4t2MTl.jpg

Thank you brother. I just got an idea after looking at these pictures.

That's good to know, thanks. :)

Also, when booting it on in the last couple morning it barely made a sound.

I had to double check if it was actually on and it barely made it a sound. There wasn't much noise around me, so I could 'hear' it clearly. But this was really strange. I would only hear something if I stood close with my ear almost touching it. I don't think I can recall that happening before.

I don't think it's a bad thing but I thought it was worth mentioning.

Edited by MrCostari

My PS3 has turned it self off also a couple times, but never while playing a game and it hasn't happened in a couple months. I have 160GB slim.

Do I have to worry? (Sorry if I spam your thread)

How old is the system? I've not heard of a Slim PS3 failing but anything is possible and it seems like the system turning itself off is the beginning of the end. If it isn't happening regularly though I don't suppose you should worry that much.

Parker

How old is the system? I've not heard of a Slim PS3 failing but anything is possible and it seems like the system turning itself off is the beginning of the end. If it isn't happening regularly though I don't suppose you should worry that much.

Parker

I bought it in August 2011. And I believe it has only happened twice, a couple months ago I had a period where lots of strange things happened to my PS3 but it has been doing an  excellent job for a couple months now.

Edited by MrCostari

That's good to know, thanks. :)

Also, when booting it on in the last couple morning it barely made a sound.

I had to double check if it was actually on and it barely made it a sound. There wasn't much noise around me, so I could 'hear' it clearly. But this was really strange. I would only hear something if I stood close with my ear almost touching it. I don't think I can recall that happening before.

I don't think it's a bad thing but I thought it was worth mentioning.

The PS3 slim it boots faster and we always first turn on the PS3 before the TV. When the picture comes up, we only see the PS3 logo appeared and the sound that it makes its gone. So, no issue with that.

If you intend to use the same board, I Highly advise you to obtain a new chassis.

​As that is actually why the solder fails. The heat warps the chassis, bending the board allowing the solder room to move. (This, I covered in some detail, in some lost thread about overheating.)

On top of all this, WC setups for a failed phat are a waste. You would have an easier time sourcing a used slim.

If you intend to use the same board, I Highly advise you to obtain a new chassis.

​As that is actually why the solder fails. The heat warps the chassis, bending the board allowing the solder room to move. (This, I covered in some detail, in some lost thread about overheating.)

On top of all this, WC setups for a failed phat are a waste. You would have an easier time sourcing a used slim.

Do you know chassis? Names please.