Help choosing between FF Type 0 or World of FF

Lava_Yuki

Hi guys!

Just as the title says, both FF type 0 and World of Final Fantasy have gone on sale for 40% off on the PSN store (jp region). I have enough in my wallet for one, any recommendations on which to go for, both from the gameplay/ story point of view as well as trophies.

I plan on going for the platinum trophy as well.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bos10George said:

Type 0 was a weird and unbalanced game. WoFF was actually fun and nostalgic. In terms of trophies each take the same amount of time, Type 0 may be slightly faster. I would go with WoFF.

I found Type 0 to be extremly easy and fast. That's why it's my only FF plat so far. From a pure Platinum standpoint, WoF takes a loot longer if you look at the guide for it

There is an exploit you can use via the ingame clock that makes the plat trivial. Without it, it probably takes a lot longer though.

Edited by NanaCheese94
  • Like 1

I have the :platinum: for both - I'd recommend WoFF over Type-0. WoFF definitely has a nostalgic feel and is long (which is good and bad). Turn-based combat. Type-0 has weird combat and a hard to understand story IMO. Good game, but I'd prefer WoFF in the end.

• Like 1

World of Final Fantasy by miles, the game is so so fun, really sad it didn't sell better, there's tons to enjoy there for all Final Fantasy fans. 

The story is interesting, the graphics are cute, the Pokemon style is very addictive, the remixed of past final fantasy soundtracks are also a delightful gift. 

• Like 2

Type-0 if you want a more mature and dark setting like above poster says. If you don’t mind the grafik from a ported psp game. I thought some of the chars were intressting, story ok.

WoFF is a chibi/pokemon game (collect them all), a lot of nostaligia like some above posters said as it includes something for all older FF. It was enjoyable and ”cute”. Liked the female main char, but male was to stupid for my taste. Don’t have to be serious, but that’s not the oposite to stupid.

So it’s matter of which you prefer. World and main chars are so much more intressting in Type-0, but WoFF is so much better executed and the nostalgia.

I would say WoFF, if you are a FF player it’s nice to see old friends, if you are new to FF you get to see a little from all FFs.

Edited by Morfea

Type 0 just seemed broken to me. You were forced to use the time-lapse Colosseum to keep up with the battles. The voice acting was also horrific, I think it was King that kept saying "Yo" the end of every sentence...

Despite that, the game grew on me a little and I remember thinking that there was a LOT more to discover after the platinum.

Still, I  choose WoFFemon. Gotta imprism all.

• Like 1

+1 on what Sir_Bee said. I would recommend WoFF as well, IIRC Type-0 was also on about 50% discount previously on Square Enix sale and the physical copy of Type-0 is pretty cheap last time I check.

Piggy backing off of what @Sir_Bee said, these two games couldn't be more different and neither make it into my top 5 for a Final Fantasy title. Type-0 was way easier and shorter. My biggest gripe with that game is you get the platinum long before you explore everything in the game. To be honest, the game wasn't good enough for me to explore much beyond getting the platinum. I liked it since it was something different and darker, however there are a lot of characters and there isn't much development. I used King a lot and he seemed pretty OP most of the time, but I preferred ranged characters to melee style.

I thought WoFF more closely resembled an actual FF game and I enjoyed it. It was a little too cutesy for my taste but I did enjoy the nostalgia of it all. It is definitely more of a grind. 

I guess if you want something quick and easy, Type-0 is the way to go, if you want something more resembling JRPG with more story development WoFF is the way to go. Good luck!

• Like 1

Type-0 is actually one of my top 5 favorite Final Fantasy games. WoFF was mediocre. My vote would go to T0.

I think it just depends on how you like your games...

Type-0:

--Action-based battles

--Dark and mature topics

--Lots of interesting characters, including interesting NPCs

--Few mini-games

--Great on the PS4

--Trophy list has few missables

--Probably good if you liked Tactics or FFXII

WoFF

--Turn-based battles

--Light, mostly fun story

--Characters are there for nostalgia purposes if you've played ALL FF games

--Lots of mini-games

--Great on the Vita

--Trophy list is more involved

--Good if you liked Ni No Kuni or Pokemon

I actually disagree with most people who are saying that the story isn't really there in T0. It's actually got a really heavy story, but you have to get into a "pre-trophies" mindset to figure it all out. As @Briste mentioned, there's a lot in the game that's ancillary to the game but not tied to trophies... however, I thought it was a fantastic game and actually did do all the extra things, like getting all eidolons and clearing the EX dungeon.

Edited by eigen-space
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, eigen-space said:

I actually disagree with most people who are saying that the story isn't really there in T0. It's actually got a really heavy story, but you have to get into a "pre-trophies" mindset to figure it all out. As @Briste mentioned, there's a lot in the game that's ancillary to the game but not tied to trophies... however, I thought it was a fantastic game and actually did do all the extra things, like getting all eidolons and clearing the EX dungeon.

In all fairness to Type-0, my opinion on the story is pretty incomplete since I didn't do all the ancillary things. It was interesting in the sense that it has a little of Lightning Returns in it. Having events you do move time forward so that you have to choose between which things you want to do. Depending on choices, day and time, certain events are lost to you. The concept and the different types of battles and combats made it interesting as well.

Final Fantasy games usually have great trophy lists that require you to dip into all aspects of the game in order to get the platinum. I think the trophy list for Type-0 does a disservice to the game by leaving so much out. I remember thinking after I got the platinum, that I fully intended on going back and replaying the game, doing all the extra stuff to give it a fair shot and see the whole story since I was intrigued about what I had done to that point. I don't have that same feeling with WoFF. After I got that platinum for that game, I feel like I fully explored that game and have no real need to revisit it. Unfortunately I probably won't revisit Type-0 either since the trophy hunter side of me doesn't want to commit the time to a game I won't be collecting trophies for...but maybe some day. 

Edited by Briste

On 27/07/2018 at 1:08 PM, NanaCheese94 said:

I found Type 0 to be extremly easy and fast. That's why it's my only FF plat so far. From a pure Platinum standpoint, WoF takes a loot longer if you look at the guide for it

There is an exploit you can use via the ingame clock that makes the plat trivial. Without it, it probably takes a lot longer though.

Looking at the platinum walkthroughs, Type 0 seems to be an estimate of 30 hours while WOFF is more than double that. I heard the game itself is quite tough though.

On 27/07/2018 at 1:53 PM, Morfea said:

Type-0 if you want a more mature and dark setting like above poster says. If you don’t mind the grafik from a ported psp game. I thought some of the chars were intressting, story ok.

WoFF is a chibi/pokemon game (collect them all), a lot of nostaligia like some above posters said as it includes something for all older FF. It was enjoyable and ”cute”. Liked the female main char, but male was to stupid for my taste. Don’t have to be serious, but that’s not the oposite to stupid.

So it’s matter of which you prefer. World and main chars are so much more intressting in Type-0, but WoFF is so much better executed and the nostalgia.

I would say WoFF, if you are a FF player it’s nice to see old friends, if you are new to FF you get to see a little from all FFs.

WOFF sounds like fun to me being an old FF player and it having the nostalgia of recurring characters. They seem to be quite opposite in terms of type 0 being mature and dark, while WoFF being the other extreme of cute and cheery.

On 27/07/2018 at 5:56 PM, eigen-space said:

Type-0 is actually one of my top 5 favorite Final Fantasy games. WoFF was mediocre. My vote would go to T0.

I think it just depends on how you like your games...

Type-0:

--Action-based battles

--Dark and mature topics

--Lots of interesting characters, including interesting NPCs

--Few mini-games

--Great on the PS4

--Trophy list has few missables

--Probably good if you liked Tactics or FFXII

WoFF

--Turn-based battles

--Light, mostly fun story

--Characters are there for nostalgia purposes if you've played ALL FF games

--Lots of mini-games

--Great on the Vita

--Trophy list is more involved

--Good if you liked Ni No Kuni or Pokemon

Thank you for the great summary comparison! In terms of my gaming preferences, type 0 seems to swing more my way in terms of dark/mature topics and few mini games since I hate mini games to the core. Also FF12 was my second favourite FF with Ivalice being my favourite world. Looking at type 0, the characters certainly look a lot more interesting and more FF than the two kids in WoFF. 

With regards to WoFF, I haven't played all the FFs, just 3, 4, 10 and 10-2, 12 and 12 RW, 13 trilogy, 15, tactics A2 and a few spin offs like chocobo dungeon and crystal chronicles. I haven't played the famous 7, 8 or 9 though. I used to love the pokemon games as a kid but stopped playing the after the ruby/sapphire remake. Not sure if that would affect my enjoyment of WoFF..