Is Permadeath Mode impossible now?!

XxSweetRevengexX

I've been playing on permadeath just fine :/ Do you want some help, I could get you through the introduction if you want. EDIT: If you are, just toss me a message, PSN is the same as my User on here

Edited by Bojuka76
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, HuntingFever said:

Permadeath is definitely a bit harder than it used to be but the addition of co-op makes that a moot point, because you can now bypass a lot of the game and skip straight to the galactic centre :).

Yea I’d love a skip to the center lol. I actually like the game but this permadrath mode is stuuuuupidly not fun 

The issue with the very start of the game in Permadeath in that you're greeted with a cut scene where you're looking around really slow, and showing that you have the Multi-tool, then when the cut scene ends, you're left with 1/4 of your thermal protection left and expected to know what to do in 30 seconds. The only real way to survive right away is to be right next to Sulfur to repair the Protection or spawn very close to a cave so you can let it recharge in there.

Sentinels on the other hand, you have to stop mining when they scan you and wait until they fly away...otherwise they become hostile. 

Edited by TheViper4Life
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, XxSweetRevengexX said:

I was finally able to get a start as when i got out of the starting cut scene there was a cave right next to me. It took me 15-20 restarts...

It took me about 5 deaths last night to get a good planet (alien base nearby). I was able to get enough Sodium to keep my protection up and what not... I feel it is easier than the first run of Permadeath mode pre-patch. But I don't know why it feels like that.

The mode is fine. Sorry to say it that way, you just need to get good. While luck is a factor everywhere in the game, you won't get far with some knowledge about basic stuff. If you played the normal mode for a few dozen hours you should've no problems in survival/permadeath. Especially in the beginning you just need to be super quick and now what you're doing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bioxz said:

The mode is fine. Sorry to say it that way, you just need to get good. While luck is a factor everywhere in the game, you won't get far with some knowledge about basic stuff. If you played the normal mode for a few dozen hours you should've no problems in survival/permadeath. Especially in the beginning you just need to be super quick and now what you're doing.

No.  Luck has everything to do with it.  What materials spawn near you, if you can survive, is all luck generated procedural world. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, DARKB1KE said:

No.  Luck has everything to do with it.  What materials spawn near you, if you can survive, is all luck generated procedural world. 

I agree, as someone who 100% permadeath before the patch, I can say getting to your ship feels harder now. However, I will concede that because I played so much on the Pathfinder update, maybe the differences were holding me back as it was different than what I was used to. 

• Like 1

think reaching the center on permadeath has actually become much easier. The only time there's any real threat anymore is just starting out. Not only that, but with how the upgrade system has changed with tech, you can get your starting ship to have a far greater warp drive than ever. Not only that but antimatter has become much easier to craft and if you seek out monoliths and search for ruins you've instantly made a lot of units, for permadeath anyways. With 6 S hyperdrive upgrades you can warp about 1480 light years with the starter ship, and you only use 3% of your fuel each warp and the S upgrades only costing 400-500 nanites each. If you quickly get to the heart of the sun step on the Atlas Path, every black hole on the galactic map is visible, so instead of a few hundred warps now it's about 75-125 depending on how long it took you to get your S tech. Portal glyphs are even faster, but they're a bit bugged. You can't learn any past the first one, which is disappointing because Travelers are much more likely to spawn now.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bojuka76 said:

think reaching the center on permadeath has actually become much easier. The only time there's any real threat anymore is just starting out. Not only that, but with how the upgrade system has changed with tech, you can get your starting ship to have a far greater warp drive than ever. Not only that but antimatter has become much easier to craft and if you seek out monoliths and search for ruins you've instantly made a lot of units, for permadeath anyways. With 6 S hyperdrive upgrades you can warp about 1480 light years with the starter ship, and you only use 3% of your fuel each warp and the S upgrades only costing 400-500 nanites each. If you quickly get to the heart of the sun step on the Atlas Path, every black hole on the galactic map is visible, so instead of a few hundred warps now it's about 75-125 depending on how long it took you to get your S tech. Portal glyphs are even faster, but they're a bit bugged. You can't learn any past the first one, which is disappointing because Travelers are much more likely to spawn now.

This is great information. Even though I got to the center pre-Next patch, I can attest to a lot of what you are saying. With considerably less effort than hunting for plutonium, I was able to make tons of antimatter with the new formula. I didn't know why my ship's warpdrive sucks but from what you are saying, it seems that I need different upgrades than what I had before. Thanks for sharing!

Most of the issues I have come across were bugs, mostly involving the Sentinels. The most annoying one was a bug where they were stuck in an active search for me. No matter where I went, they were constantly searching for me. In space, on a planet, inside a building. Waited in a building for 30 minutes, they were still searching for me. Tried going into space but couldn't make it far since I couldn't active my pulse engines even after destroying the space Sentinels. Had to die just to get them off me. Would have been very annoyed if I was playing Permadeath and the more I play Survival, the more bugs like this I come across. I don't mind the grind and the challenge but this is outright ridiculous.

3 hours ago, BlueDragonRR said:

Most of the issues I have come across were bugs, mostly involving the Sentinels. The most annoying one was a bug where they were stuck in an active search for me. No matter where I went, they were constantly searching for me. In space, on a planet, inside a building. Waited in a building for 30 minutes, they were still searching for me. Tried going into space but couldn't make it far since I couldn't active my pulse engines even after destroying the space Sentinels. Had to die just to get them off me. Would have been very annoyed if I was playing Permadeath and the more I play Survival, the more bugs like this I come across. I don't mind the grind and the challenge but this is outright ridiculous.

If you were waiting for that long... did it ever occur that you could have saved either by save point or ship then relogging? That'll normally fix it.

On 05/08/2018 at 5:57 PM, Bojuka76 said:

I'm aware a player in another thread is offering a lift to the centre but I feel like taking the scenic route on my attempt with the new update, so that's definitely useful to know, thanks for the info! 

• Like 1

On 8/11/2018 at 1:14 PM, FarSideOfSaturn said:

I'm aware a player in another thread is offering a lift to the centre but I feel like taking the scenic route on my attempt with the new update, so that's definitely useful to know, thanks for the info! 

Hey, I'm that player in the other thread! :)

Even though I am offering a jump to the center, I recommend playing on Permadeath legit if you have the time. I enjoyed it even before the patch and now there are so many quality of life improvements that I think it would be even more en

Edited by iamthedotcom
Typing words are hard...
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, iamthedotcom said:

Hey, I'm that player in the other thread! :)

Even though I am offering a jump to the center, I recommend playing on Permadeath legit if you have the time. I enjoyed it even before the patch and now there are so many quality of life improvements that I think it would be even more en

I did consider taking you up on the offer (the way you're helping people is awesome) but decided to do it the long way with the new updates after the positive feedback I've heard. I had barely started a permadeath save when the updates were announced so I put it on hold to see what was being introduced. Looks like it was worth the wait, I'm still finishing off the Ezio trilogy and I'll probably go for another platinum to finish the year on 30 before I start my permadeath save. I expect it'll last me the rest of the year with how long it'll take to reach the centre, coupled with the amount of time I have to play and I'll be spending time exploring too. 

I'm not overly fussed about the length of time it'll take me, I'm a cautious player by nature and enjoy immersion/exploring so I'm used to taking a long time to do things. In short I want to see as much of the game as possible and I doubt there's a better way to do that than a trek to the centre of the galaxy, otherwise I'd absolutely accept a piggyback from you :lol: 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I reached the centre on permadeath last week, this is the strategy I used once I was free from my starting planet if anyone finds it useful. As far as I know this exact method isn't widely known or at least isn't described in detail and I stumbled upon it by accident myself. By using this method I was able to reach the galactic core in just 26 hours. This included time spent exploring and gathering resources.

You'll need:

Your starting ship

A healthy supply of chromatic metal, condensed carbon, oxygen and ferrite dust (the materials for warp cells)

A hyperdrive installed

3 S class hyperdrive modules

Around 3 million units

Around 1200 nanite clusters

Step 1. Escape your starting planet and follow the Awakening quest line til you get the choice to follow the Atlas Path or explore freely, choose the Atlas path option because this'll give you access to the Anomaly which has something that'll speed up the journey. Once you're on board the anomaly speak to Polo (the Gek) and transmit your milestone data for him. This'll take two hours for him to process so use this time to stock up on the following - copper (to make chromatic metal), carbon (for condensed carbon), oxygen and ferrite dust. You can buy everything but carbon from a space station or anywhere with a galactic trade terminal if you don't want to gather it manually though you may have to visit multiple trade terminals to find what you need. 

Step 2. Once the two hours have passed, make sure the anomaly mission is selected in your log and "summon" it with R3 while in space. Speak to Polo again, he'll thank you for the data you gave him and ask for more, this time press LEAVE. This leaves his missions open, and leaves you with the ability to summon the anomaly any time you please so long as the speak to Polo mission is selected in your log. 

Step 3. The reason you need to leave Polo's mission unfinished is because you're granted a black hole location (possibly two) with each visit. Now that you can access the anomaly as often as you please, you can have as many black holes as you like without having to finish the Atlas path. To learn a black hole location, speak to Nada (the Korvax). I was given two black holes per visit on my save but if you earn a milestone in between travelling between the 2 black holes you'll only get one. You can use this method of summoning the anomaly - get black hole location - warp to black hole, warp through the black hole and repeat the process again all the way to the centre of the galaxy. 

General advice

1. Keep a couple of stacks of chromatic metal, condensed carbon, oxygen and ferrite dust on you at all times so you can craft warp cells whenever you need them. 

2. Upload discovered systems, planets, flora and fauna for nanite clusters, you can earn these from exploration or missions too if you wish. You'll need around 1200 nanites to buy 3 S class hyperdrive modules from space stations. This'll give you a hyperdrive range of 795 light years in your starting ship, enough range to make it to a black hole in one warp. It'll also give you 20 warps with a full tank (five warp cells). Be aware not every station has the S class module so you may need to visit several stations before you have them all. The point of this is to save you time and money as you won't need to save up for a better ship.

3. Avoid installing upgrades on your ship (other than the hyperdrive modules). Upgrades will break when travelling through black holes, by travelling with just the bare bones of your ship nothing will break, this will save you time and money as you'll never need to repair anything.

3. Earn money quickly by harvesting valuable resources or by digging up buried technology. Buried technology was my preferred choice, a stack of 15 is worth around 800,000 units. Four stacks should raise enough money to see you through to the centre. The cost covers buying materials at space stations and paying off hostile ships if you need to. 

That covers everything you'll need to reach the centre in a relatively quick and safe way. Of course hitching a lift from a taxi service such as Dotcoms is the fastest and easiest way to earn the permadeath trophy. However I'm aware that as players here are from all over the world so you may be unable to arrange a time or alternative, so this might be the next efficient method. 

I only had one run at this and winged it the entire journey, so some things can probably be improved upon. If anyone gives it a try and finds a better way please let everyone know! 

Happy travels. 

Edited by FarSideOfSaturn
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2018 at 7:26 PM, FarSideOfSaturn said:

I reached the centre on permadeath last week, this is the strategy I used once I was free from my starting planet if anyone finds it useful. As far as I know this exact method isn't widely known or at least isn't described in detail and I stumbled upon it by accident myself. By using this method I was able to reach the galactic core in just 26 hours. This included time spent exploring and gathering resources.

You'll need:

Your starting ship

A healthy supply of chromatic metal, condensed carbon, oxygen and ferrite dust (the materials for warp cells)

A hyperdrive installed

3 S class hyperdrive modules

Around 3 million units

Around 1200 nanite clusters

Step 1. Escape your starting planet and follow the Awakening quest line til you get the choice to follow the Atlas Path or explore freely, choose the Atlas path option because this'll give you access to the Anomaly which has something that'll speed up the journey. Once you're on board the anomaly speak to Polo (the Gek) and transmit your milestone data for him. This'll take two hours for him to process so use this time to stock up on the following - copper (to make chromatic metal), carbon (for condensed carbon), oxygen and ferrite dust. You can buy everything but carbon from a space station or anywhere with a galactic trade terminal if you don't want to gather it manually though you may have to visit multiple trade terminals to find what you need. 

Step 2. Once the two hours have passed, make sure the anomaly mission is selected in your log and "summon" it with R3 while in space. Speak to Polo again, he'll thank you for the data you gave him and ask for more, this time press LEAVE. This leaves his missions open, and leaves you with the ability to summon the anomaly any time you please so long as the speak to Polo mission is selected in your log. 

Step 3. The reason you need to leave Polo's mission unfinished is because you're granted a black hole location (possibly two) with each visit. Now that you can access the anomaly as often as you please, you can have as many black holes as you like without having to finish the Atlas path. To learn a black hole location, speak to Nada (the Korvax). I was given two black holes per visit on my save but if you earn a milestone in between travelling between the 2 black holes you'll only get one. You can use this method of summoning the anomaly - get black hole location - warp to black hole, warp through the black hole and repeat the process again all the way to the centre of the galaxy. 

General advice

1. Keep a couple of stacks of chromatic metal, condensed carbon, oxygen and ferrite dust on you at all times so you can craft warp cells whenever you need them. 

2. Upload discovered systems, planets, flora and fauna for nanite clusters, you can earn these from exploration or missions too if you wish. You'll need around 1200 nanites to buy 3 S class hyperdrive modules from space stations. This'll give you a hyperdrive range of 795 light years in your starting ship, enough range to make it to a black hole in one warp. It'll also give you 20 warps with a full tank (five warp cells). Be aware not every station has the S class module so you may need to visit several stations before you have them all. The point of this is to save you time and money as you won't need to save up for a better ship.

3. Avoid installing upgrades on your ship (other than the hyperdrive modules). Upgrades will break when travelling through black holes, by travelling with just the bare bones of your ship nothing will break, this will save you time and money as you'll never need to repair anything.

3. Earn money quickly by harvesting valuable resources or by digging up buried technology. Buried technology was my preferred choice, a stack of 15 is worth around 800,000 units. Four stacks should raise enough money to see you through to the centre. The cost covers buying materials at space stations and paying off hostile ships if you need to. 

That covers everything you'll need to reach the centre in a relatively quick and safe way. Of course hitching a lift from a taxi service such as Dotcoms is the fastest and easiest way to earn the permadeath trophy. However I'm aware that as players here are from all over the world so you may be unable to arrange a time or alternative, so this might be the next efficient method. 

I only had one run at this and winged it the entire journey, so some things can probably be improved upon. If anyone gives it a try and finds a better way please let everyone know! 

Happy travels. 

Phenomenally detailed post @FarSideOfSaturn. Thank you for sharing! This sounds crazy quick compared to the pre-Next methods. I'm always available to help, but it is nice to know that an easier solo method is available.