One of the worst experiences I have played in years

Huh I have played all the sands games and while warrior within didnt have the best plot(its a lol bit confusing) I never really had much trouble with combat, platforming or any of that I'd never call it broken in the least heck it has one of the best combat mechanics I've played so maybe u just arnt playing it right and dont get how it all works? Did you go into it hating it maybe?

25 minutes ago, DARKB1KE said:

Is that a game based on the movies?  Was probably rushed development. 

The one you're thinking of is The Forgotten Sands, and while it didn't add anything new (being as of now the last in the series), it's probably the best out of the group.

On track, don't be ashamed to follow a walk-through. After all, watching someone play it is still different than having to do it yourself.

Sands of Time had really sucky combat, but it's greatest strength was that it was a platformer first. Course, this being in the age of games trying their damnedest to be hardcore (this game, this SPECIFIC game being the most embarrassing attempt of them all), combat HAD to take priority.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Phil said:

It was my least favorite of the 5 PoP games. However, I don't remember having that much trouble with the enemies. I think you'll get the hang of it once you watch a few videos.

I fully understand Prince of Persia is completely different from the God of War franchise. But I definitely wasn't expecting the layout to be as confusing and neither did I think I had to backtrack a lot.

The Forgotten Sands is a pretty easy platinum and was enjoyable. Sands of Time was still easy, but not as good. Warrior Within on the other hand so far is just awful. I don't know, maybe I'm just completely out of the loop.

6 hours ago, Taliesin_2943 said:

Huh I have played all the sands games and while warrior within didnt have the best plot(its a lol bit confusing) I never really had much trouble with combat, platforming or any of that I'd never call it broken in the least heck it has one of the best combat mechanics I've played so maybe u just arnt playing it right and dont get how it all works? Did you go into it hating it maybe?

No I didn't. I actually thought it would be a little bit better than Sands of Time but it turns out a lot of people didn't like this game.

I'm a capable gamer and I'm usually pretty persistent and patient. But I realized something was wrong when I was struggling on Easy difficulty.

6 hours ago, RedRodriguez87 said:

The one you're thinking of is The Forgotten Sands, and while it didn't add anything new (being as of now the last in the series), it's probably the best out of the group.

On track, don't be ashamed to follow a walk-through. After all, watching someone play it is still different than having to do it yourself.

Sands of Time had really sucky combat, but it's greatest strength was that it was a platformer first. Course, this being in the age of games trying their damnedest to be hardcore (this game, this SPECIFIC game being the most embarrassing attempt of them all), combat HAD to take priority.

I have to agree with you.

I don't know anything about Prince of Persia 2008 nor The Two Thrones. I just hope they're better than Warrior Within at least.

Personally I very rarely follow walkthroughs. I consult a trophy guide for any missable trophies, online trophies, trophies people consider difficult and stuff I have to watch out for in given chapters, but I generally do a playthrough on my own without watching anyone on YouTube play the game.

Warrior Within I feel I have to force myself to follow a walkthrough just so I can finish it. I shouldn't have to do that, but given the shitty camera and wonky combat system it's probably for the better.

They took the worst aspect of Sands of Time and put that as first priority. Though you can laughably just skip most of the enemies as you can wistfully run past them.

I remember not liking WW as mich as the others, but I don’t recall the combat being particularly difficult - so this could be an actual issue rather than just your playing.

have you tried looking about in the settings on your TV? It could be an input lag issue if it’s the counterattacks you are having an issue with?

Put me on the side that thought Warrior Within completely sucked although i do wonder if it would have such a bad reputation among the trophy community if it didn't require 3 separate playthroughs, also keep in mind that the entire PS2 trilogy is a shoddy port job hence most of the problems with the sound at least.
From favourite to least I'd order the PoP as;

Prince of Persia 2008

The Sands of Time
Forgotten Sands (ironically I've forgotten most of this game's plot/design)
Warrior Within

Edited by Martain2

I actually really enjoyed the trilogy and preferred warrior within over two thrones. It is a very old game and the voice acting was waaaay out of sync it made me laugh. I’ll agree it is really confusing at first to know where to go, the other two were more linear and easier to follow. I didn’t have trouble with the combat, just look at the combo list in the pause menu. It was a lot more improved than Sands of Time though!

Maybe because I played them all during the PS2 era I have a greater appreciation for them? I enjoyed the platforming but 3 playthroughs was definitely overkill!

• Like 3

i honestly had no problems with the game but i also loved the games when they first came out, unlike GOW combat u have to be more deliberate with your attacks/blocks or u can get punished hard. 

i also made a challenge for myself by seeing if i could take the stick though the whole game, unfortunately u can only carry it to the throne room where u get your 1st sword. :( 

• Like 1

I remember playing it on hard after getting the platinum in Sands of Time, and I couldn't beat the first combat encounter. ?

Never played it back in the day, because the whole teenage angst emo design and soundtrack put me off after the wonderful reboot that SoT was. Eventually I'll go back to it, but probably only play through once on Normal and be done with it.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Martain2 said:

Put me on the side that thought Warrior Within completely sucked although i do wonder if it would have such a bad reputation among the trophy community if it didn't require 3 separate playthroughs, also keep in mind that the entire PS2 trilogy is a shoddy port job hence most of the problems with the sound at least.
From favourite to least I'd order the PoP as;

Prince of Persia 2008

The Sands of Time
Forgotten Sands (ironically I've forgotten most of this game's plot/design)
Warrior Within

It's telling that you completely left The Two Thrones, the worst of the original trilogy and the worst of those five main games imo, off the list entirely!

I don't like the direction WW took in terms of presentation, tone, art design, etc. However it has grown on me over time. The backtracking can be confusing and annoying however I really think the level design is terrific, both specific levels and the overall design of the island has a continuity to it that I always appreciate (like the castle in ICO for example), The final act of the story takes a pretty interesting narrative turn which I was impressed by, and you kinda just have to learn to love that musical queue for the dahaka, once that Godsmack comes on you know it's bout to go down. The combat is frankly pretty bad, and this is true for basically all the games, however I can appreciate that they tried to do interesting things for the sequel, but yes not all of them paid off. I also got a really bizarre bug in my first playthrough on the PS3

Spoiler

where about halfway through I loaded the game one day and I was suddenly the dark prince and I had no idea what was going on. I actually said to myself "damn, I really need to pay more attention" ? played around for a bit before I realized that cutscenes would not trigger and I couldn't progress through the game anymore. Had to delete the save and start again

Hmmm... I only played this game once when it was released in 2004 and I don't remember having many issues.

I remember the combat was different from other games because you kinda dial in the inputs instead of going 1 by one.

If you mash, you will never get any advanced combo. Instead you could do all the inputs right away and it will then proccess them 1 by 1 at the required time.

Thanks to the time reversing I remember I didn't die much. Probably did once on the sexy chick with the red dress. I didn't fight the true final boss because I didn't know it was a thing that I cpuld do. I remember I was disappointed that I didn't get to fight it. I believe it was called Dahaka or some shit like that.

Anyway, I was 15 or something when I played it. I would probably think much less of it if I played it now. I bet it aged like crap.

Played this version almost two years ago. I really enjoyed the Normal run, some areas have nice visuals. Combat is tough in the beginning until you learn to string some combos, especially the decapitation ones. To me, the narrow places of some fights presented more difficulty than the enemies itself, but this become less frequent during the game.
My Hard run was interruped by a famous game-breaking glitch, then i decided to cleanup combat trophies on Easy and another glitch happened. Tough break.

Maybe i'll be back to it soon

Edited by Giulian_Steel

2 hours ago, Fray32- said:

It's telling that you completely left The Two Thrones, the worst of the original trilogy and the worst of those five main games imo, off the list entirely!

I don't like the direction WW took in terms of presentation, tone, art design, etc. However it has grown on me over time. The backtracking can be confusing and annoying however I really think the level design is terrific, both specific levels and the overall design of the island has a continuity to it that I always appreciate (like the castle in ICO for example), The final act of the story takes a pretty interesting narrative turn which I was impressed by, and you kinda just have to learn to love that musical queue for the dahaka, once that Godsmack comes on you know it's bout to go down. The combat is frankly pretty bad, and this is true for basically all the games, however I can appreciate that they tried to do interesting things for the sequel, but yes not all of them paid off. I also got a really bizarre bug in my first playthrough on the PS3

Reveal hidden contents

where about halfway through I loaded the game one day and I was suddenly the dark prince and I had no idea what was going on. I actually said to myself "damn, I really need to pay more attention" 1f604.png played around for a bit before I realized that cutscenes would not trigger and I couldn't progress through the game anymore. Had to delete the save and start again

I haven't yet played The Two Thrones (although i do still have the PS2 HD collection on disc and intend to at some point) hence it not being on the list, surely it cant be any worse than WW but it does have that 3 necessary playthrough trophy collection though...urgh.

Edited by Martain2

29 minutes ago, Martain2 said:

I haven't yet played The Two Thrones (although i do still have the PS2 HD collection on disc and intend to at some point) hence it not being on the list, surely it cant be any worse than WW but it does have that 3 necessary playthrough trophy collection though...urgh.

It’s not - I actually think it’s the best of the 4 PoP games in that style - well worth a try!