Need for Speed Games - Worth it?

I never really played any need for speed games or racing games in general. I decided that the time has come to change that and obviously, the need for speed series came to my mind. So I was wondering, which nfs games with trophies are actually worth playing? I have already done some research on these games and read through professional reviews, customer reviews, forums and also asked a few friends.

I am going to list the consensus on each game now:

Undercover

Good game with an oldschool need for speed feeling to it (tuning like in the underground games and stuff like that)

Hot Pursuit

Very fun game and the best nfs game with trophies / for some even on ps3

The Run

Okay-ish racing game. Not the best but also not the worst nfs. Unfortunately, the platinum is unobtainable.

Shift 1+2

Good games, if you are looking for a more realistic racing game.

Most Wanted 2012

Feels like a worse version of Burnout Paradise. In addition to that, 100% in this game seems to be very grindy and time consuming.

Rivals

Feels like a worse version of Hot Pursuit

NFS 2015

One of the worst nfs games ever. In addition to that, the 100% in this game is insanely hard.

Payback

Better than 2015, but still a medicore game.

Based on these impressions, I was going to play Hot Pursuit and Undercover on PS3 and maybe Payback on PS4. But I want to hear some more opinions on these games. Which nfs games would you recommend to play/did you enjoy the most?

• Like 1

I've only played NFS Pro Street. The reason for buying that in the first place was to have a game I could play with family and friends... then it turned out the game didn't have offline vs, despite the box saying that it did. Never bothered to buy another NFS afterwards.

Love the NFS series, just the kind of racing games I enjoy, arcadey.

Most Wanted > Undercover > Hot Pursuit > 2015 > The Run > Rivals (awful game, need to go back to)

Not played Payback yet, and the not a fan of the Shift Series of NFS.

Edited by frosteeeh21
  • Like 1

From my experience and i started from the original underground back during it's golden age,

Dont bother with rivals it's just so borint to play. 4 or 5 gamemodes and a not living world makes this game the worst nfs out of all of the nfs franchise imo.

I started yesterday with the nfs one and it seems average at best, nothing too special about it to boast and there are atleast some interesting characters compared to rivals and the dlc is mainly the breaking point platinum itself is fairly easy

Nfs payback cant say anything else then a lousy story and a forza horizon copycat i felt like i was playing forza not nfs!!

They should go back to their roots and stick it to the streets only with cop chases and rising through a list that is what nfs should be, not trying to be a forza horizon clone like the last one

• Like 1

Really enjoyed Rivals and double platted it on PS3 and 4

Once you get into it you will find the driving experience is very well done

Most Wanted is a much longer game but is also well worth playing. I still have some work on the DLC

I played Hot Pursuit on the Xbox 360 and never really enjoyed it as much as Rivals or Most Wanted and the ach/trophs seemed to be a lot tougher for me

Shift 2 is a great title but again has a few tough trophs especially on the mp side

Still have the latest two titles to start on PS4 but am looking forward to doing them

If you are willing to put in the hours then most of the NFS stuff offers excellent racing, but be prepared to repeat some events several times and you will need to rely on gaming sessions to max unless you have a good boosting partner

Enjoy 

• Like 3

Undercover is so bad with tons of bugs, and you get bettee results using nitro in the corners with is so stupid... In my opinion it's the worst NFS game ! 

I advise you most wanted > hot pursuit > the run > rivals > shift > payback > NFS 2015 > shift 2 > Undercover 

• Like 1

I only played a minor portion of the games (Most Wanted, Hot Pursuit and the two Shifts) and personally I really enjoyed my time with Most Wanted and Shift 1.

Many enjoy Hot Pursuit more as it has the classic NfS-vibe from NfS III and IV but the rubberband-AI can be really annoying in this game as some of the races are rather long (for an arcade-racer) and it's just stupid if you lead a race for about 6 minutes with 10 or more seconds and on the last mile the AI is going full turbo and you end up on 4th place or so.

Most Wanted also has problems with the rubberband-AI but the racers are way shorter. Additionally I liked the open world as it felt livelier than in Burnout Paradise. But going for all trophies can be a pain due to all those license plates you have to unlock for some of the MP-trophies in the DLCs.

Shift 1 is an enjoyable games if you prefer games that try to be somewhere in the middleground between arcade and sim. Similar to e.g. the Grid-games this feels like a more enjoyable Gran Turismo to me. Shift 2 has the bonus of adding night races and having way more circuits but it also has some nasty multiplayer-trophies and a boring and unneeded endgame grind.

Edited by Crimson Idol
fixed typos
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Evertonian said:

Thanks Crimson for reminding me why I found Hot Pursuit not as good!

Rubber Banding is a real issue in it

Nothing to thank for. I enjoy driving through the landscapes of HP but having to finish 1st when you have to evade the police's attacks, keep the other drivers in the back and have to watch out for your health bar is annoying as hell. Most Wanted at least doesn't have the problem with the health bar as it's non-existent IIRC:

• Like 1

I don't have the best relationship with Need For Speed games post Most Wanted (2005). I've only played Shift, Most Wanted (2012) and the reboot (2015), neither of which I particularly enjoyed. Shift wasn't my kind of Need For Speed game, very boring and dull but more realistic but I'm not into realistic racers. I did enjoy Most Wanted (2012) but a serious bug made me lose so much progress that I refuse to go back to it. The game is ok but I preferred Burnout Paradise. NFS 2015 was the worst. Dingy, repetitive, grindy, and a failed re-imaging of the Underground series. Honestly, your best bet is to play Most Wanted (2012) and Hot Pursuit. 

If only their would be a remaster of Hot Pursuit 2, the Underground Series, and Most Wanted (2005)

• Like 1

Hot pursuit was one of my favourites of the series, and I was heartbroken when I played Payback.  It was terrible.  It is a game built around loot boxes and it ruins the experience entirely.  I would highly recommend the older PS3 need for speeds, and suggest you stay away from the newer ones.

• Like 1

Ooh, I love some NFS ^w^ It is actually one of my favorite racing franchises despite it being owned by EA. I have played almost all the games from the classic and tuning era with only a few omissions. From the modern era and recent era, I have to admit that I've been slacking on them. Still have yet to get the Shift games, don't have any PS4 title and have only played and Platinumed 3 of them on PS3.

From the classic era, my favorites are:

- NFS III: Hot Pursuit (1998)

- NFS V: Porsche Unleashed

- NFS 2 SE

From the tuning era, my favorites are:

- Most Wanted (2005)

- Underground

- Underground 2

Out of the modern ones I have played, I'd go:

- Hot Pursuit (2010)

- The Run

- Most Wanted (2012)

As far as general enjoyment and trophies go, Hot Pursuit would be your best bet. The game is extremely reminiscent of the classic games with a pure focus on police chases, overly exaggerated drifts and a crazy sense of speed on open ended roads. Trophies are straightforward with nothing particularly difficult standing out. There is a short number of online trophies that can be knocked in no time with a good partner.

The Run is my second favorite so far. I am aware most people seem to hate it, mostly for the totally unnecessary story and action sequences tied to it (QTEs in a racing game, really?) but the graphics were impressive for the time and the races were really action-packed and thrilling. Loved how they used dramatic scores for the soundtrack in order to accentuate some of the most exhilarating moments during races. Online trophies were a pain back then and now you have one trophy that is unobtainable so you may want to avoid this one if you don't want any unobtainables on your profile.

Most Wanted (2012) is...very different from the original -_- I wasn't particularly fond of the focus on crashing and taking down opponents nor I was too happy of the driving model used in the game. It still was a fairly enjoyable game with lots of cool cars to drive and stuff to smash though. The 100% is a chore from what I have heard but the Platinum is fairly quick and easy. 

As I have yet to play the other games, I cannot really comment on them. Good luck with the franchise. Hope you get to enjoy it :)

Edited by Honor_Hand
  • Like 2

I only played the old Need for Speed games but the best one is definitely Porsche Unleashed. Not only because they added all of the models it also added a really interesting career mode. And the since you drove all of the cars Porsche ever build, you had a broader experience. Meaning you started with old-timers and slowly worked your way upwards. Really great game and probably the best NfS game of all times.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the Feedback guys :) I really like how active the community on this site is ^^

I think I will just do Hot Pursuit and Undercover. Instead of MW2012, I will just do Burnout Paradise, since I have not played that yet either. I would like to do The Run as well, but that unobtainable trophy .... It is a shame to see, that EA does not give a single fuck about it, yet they fixed Bad Company ( a game from 2008) multiple times over the last years. Does not make much sense to me ....

I honestly feel like I had the most fun, and hours, with NFS Undercover. Free roam was always so much fun. Next to that being Most Wanted and then Payback. The other games felt like I had to force myself to play them until I got the platinum then never played them after that, the 3 listed above had good replay value.

I think they lost faith or interest in this series after getting repeatedly bad reviews in the recent past. And the fans in general aren't too pleased how EA treated NFS in the past. And there are a lot of racing games out there that are much better nowadays, at least as far as I can tell.

• Like 1

The only one I can really speak to is Hot Pursuit, which I really enjoyed. I miss the burnout series from PS2 so this was a good fill in. The AI is incredibly frustrating, but not impossible. I had to dedicate some time to particular races that would get the better of me.

I have Most Wanted and Rivals in my backlog, which after reading the disappointing opinions people have about them, i'll still play it make the most of what they are. 

I perosnally enjoyed undercover and need for speed most wanted more than the others.I have played Need for speed uncover,most wanted 2012,hot pursuit,rivals and 2015.

Didnt enjoy hot pursuit because the Time trials were too hard for me.Its stupid that the police time trials you get penalised for doing a small little crash.

The pursuits in this game are good This is the best for the game IMO.

Most wanted 2012 was fun because it was open world and the racers are short,that means I don't have to concentrate that long.However you'll crash into other cars alot more in this game than any other NFS.

Undercover was fun but someones when you first log on to the game the police were already after you which was annoying.It has that need for speed feel, you buy a car and you can upgrade what you want.

Rivals was okay nothing exciting better than I thought it was going to be.

2015 was probably the most boring racing game I have ever played.Very repeatitive and shit story.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On 31.7.2018 at 11:11 AM, Sinthoras_96 said:

(...)

NFS 2015

One of the worst nfs games ever. In addition to that, the 100% in this game is insanely hard.

(...)

THANK YOU! There are so many websites and critics who say that the NFS 2015 is okay or even better. For me it was THE WORST NFS in NFS history. 80% of the "races" were alterations of Drift.... Drift in a group, drift in Sprint, drift for 3 laps, just drift

• 11 months later...
On 7/31/2018 at 6:00 AM, gamesfourever said:

So is Rivals good or bad? I'm seeing polar opposite comments in here.

I really found Rivals to be one of the worst.  So lifeless, a soulless experience.  And I never enjoyed the cop/racer tech gadget setup.  I also did not like Hot Pursuit fwiw.

On the other hand, I really enjoyed Carbon (great canyon races but no trophies) and The Run (much better online experience, varying environments, better handling, better soundtrack).