FALSE ALARM: LittleBigPlanet Karting Is Free On The NA PS Store

https://psprices.com/region-us/game/11075/littlebigplanettm-karting

I don't know why but the day after the day that this game's servers were put down for good this game became listed as free on both the US and Canadian PSN Stores. I thought I'd share this info with everyone who has not yet noticed this. Do keep in mind that this game (for whatever reason) is not listed as costless in the EU region. So you will have to create a North American account (if you do not already own one yourself) and download the game onto your PS3 and play it on a different user/account.

This kind of makes some sense as the server closure pretty much removed a huge chunk of the game's purpose. Now the reason for "creating and sharing your creations for the whole world to see" in this game is no more!

So if you're that one trophy hunter who doesn't really care for profile completion but plays games for a bunch of trophies to boost your trophy level/percentage and to climb up the ranks, by all means play this game as it is free!

Edited by Skeptical69

It's funny because people will probably say Sony is really generous for doing this, when they've destroyed their game and taken away all value it would have. Who really cares about the shitty single player races and a useless create mode? Now, if they made it free while announcing that the servers were closing, that would be decent since they'd at least give people a free chance of going for the platinum. Although they did shut it, there's not really a reason to complain about the server shutdown because it did get announced twice when it was supposed to close, the first time it was announced was in 2016. Either way, this won't do anything to restore my faith in Sony whatsoever, they've basically ruined the whole of the PS3 generation or they're on their mission to do so, looking forward to when they announce shutting the more important LittleBigPlanet games. 

Edited by Sergen
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sergen said:

It's funny because people will probably say Sony is really generous for doing this, when they've destroyed their game and taken away all value it would have. Who really cares about the shitty single player races and a useless create mode? Now, if they made it free while announcing that the servers were closing, that would be decent since they'd at least give people a free chance of going for the platinum. Although they did shut it, there's not really a reason to complain about the server shutdown because it did get announced twice when it was supposed to close, the first time it was announced was in 2016. Either way, this won't do anything to restore my faith in Sony whatsoever, they've basically ruined the whole of the PS3 generation or they're on their mission to do so, looking forward to when they announce shutting the more important LittleBigPlanet games. 

Okay, so you're saying what exactly?  The whole PS3 gen was ruined how?  And sorry that a free copy of Little Big Planet Karting won't restore your faith in Sony. 

Oh, and "who really cares about the shitty single player races and a useless create mode"?  Well, I would guess other people but I suppose I could be wrong.

Edited by angelgrievous
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Sergen said:

they've basically ruined the whole of the PS3 generation or they're on their mission to do so, looking forward to when they announce shutting the more important LittleBigPlanet games. 

It will eventually happen for all current games too after people stop playing them because maintaining servers costs money, so maybe it would be best if you don't support their greed and sell all your Sony systems and games. That will show them!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

Okay, so you're saying what exactly?  The whole PS3 gen was ruined how?  And sorry that a free copy of Little Big Planet Karting won't restore your faith in Sony. 

Because Sony's been on a mission to shut all their PS3 games, this year they've shut or are shutting the following for PS3: Killzone 2, Killzone 3, Starhawk, Modnation Racers, Motorstorm Apocalypse, Gran Turismo 6 and there's more to come. They're making this free and people are going to say it's really cool of them for doing that when they've already shut the server so there's no value to anyone who plays it, because nobody likes those single player levels or a create mode that no-longer has a purpose. 

1 minute ago, soniq said:

It will eventually happen for all current games too after people stop playing them because maintaining servers costs money, so maybe it would be best if you don't support their greed and sell all your Sony systems and games. That will show them!

That's the thing, they have all the money in the world and can keep these servers up, using money as an excuse for Sony's decisions with servers is like saying Bill Gates might need to eat one less sandwich per day because they cost money. 

Edited by Sergen
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Sergen said:

Because Sony's been on a mission to shut all their PS3 games, this year they've shut or are shutting the following for PS3: Killzone 2, Killzone 3, Starhawk, Modnation Racers, Motorstorm Apocalypse, Gran Turismo 6 and there's more to come. They're making this free and people are going to say it's really cool of them for doing that when they've already shut the server so there's no value to anyone who plays it, because nobody likes those single player levels or a create mode that no-longer has a purpose. 

Well, I mean, at some point we all knew this was going to happen.  It's happened every single generation since the beginning.  Does it suck?  Sure, but it's nothing new nor is it unexpected.  And despite the servers being offline, I'm sure there are people out there that would in fact enjoy what the game has to offer as it stands.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sergen said:

That's the thing, they have all the money in the world and can keep these servers up, using money as an excuse for Sony's decisions with servers is like saying Bill Gates might need to eat one less sandwich per day because they cost money. 

They're a business though and ultimately if keeping the servers up is no longer profitable, they won't. It's a shame, but if it frees up extra resources that they put towards new games, I see no problem shutting down servers that are 6+ years old.

• Like 1

Just now, Aeir_ said:

They're a business though and ultimately if keeping the servers up is no longer profitable, they won't. It's a shame, but if it frees up extra resources that they put towards new games, I see no problem shutting down servers that are 6+ years old.

I'm not necessarily complaining that the servers for this game were shut, this is the most fair server shutdown out there because it got delayed by 2 years. What I'm rather calling out is the inevitable people who would say that Sony is really good for making the game free on the USA store, although before doing that they already got rid of any value the game would have had. It would be alright if they made the game free leading up to the server shutdown, but they needed to grab every penny out of the game before its inevitable demise. 

1 minute ago, Sergen said:

I'm not necessarily complaining that the servers for this game were shut, this is the most fair server shutdown out there because it got delayed by 2 years. What I'm rather calling out is the inevitable people who would say that Sony is really good for making the game free on the USA store, although before doing that they already got rid of any value the game would have had. It would be alright if they made the game free leading up to the server shutdown, but they needed to grab every penny out of the game before its inevitable demise. 

Ah, that's fair. I'm glad to see it free now, but it's certainly nothing to praise Sony about.

5 minutes ago, Aeir_ said:

Ah, that's fair. I'm glad to see it free now, but it's certainly nothing to praise Sony about.

They give you free shit, and that is your response?

Servers went down a long time ago in certain regions. In fact, they gave it away for PS+ a little while before the servers went down, so they did actually give everyone with PS+ a chance to play it before the servers went down. That's nice.

Also, the servers are down? So? Single player is still there. I never enjoyed the online anyway, which is why I think they took down the servers so quickly. They didn't need to give the game away for free when the servers went down, but they have. Cool... Thanks!

And I don't get the whining about 5-10 years old servers going down. Just get over it and move on. If anything, advocate LAN options for future games.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 2

Just now, MMDE said:

They give you free shit, and that is your response?

Servers went down a long time ago in certain regions. In fact, they gave it away for PS+ a little while before the servers went down, so they did actually give everyone with PS+ a chance to play it before the servers went down. That's nice.

Also, the servers are down? So? Single player is still there. I never enjoyed the online anyway, which is why I think they took down the servers so quickly.

The key word there is "shit", the game is awful and people are going to praise them for giving away a useless product. They're reducing the quality of their service but doing these little things to try to restore faith in their products. If anything, I bet this is an unintended store glitch and they'll start charging money for it soon when they find out. 

• Like 1

Not a lot of use to argue with each other if we should either be spiteful or grateful when we don't even know if it's just a glitch yet. Because for me (EU) it is still 14 euro and 99 cent. As far as I know more games have been temporarily free by accident because of the buggy store or human error than Sony have given away, so my money is still on a glitch until I see some sort of announcement or if it stays this way for more than a couple of days or even hours.

Edit: good to see the online pass is free though, what with the servers being down and all. Lolz.

Edited by pinkrobot_pb
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, EternalChaos72 said:

On the EU store it's showing as £10.99. I already got the platinum when it was free with + away back in 2013/14.

Yeah, exactly, it was free for PS+ before the servers went down. Some people whine over getting shit for free. lulz

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sergen said:

The single player was better than the multiplayer :dunno:

41 minutes ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

Not a lot of use to argue with each other if we should either be spiteful or grateful when we don't even know if it's just a glitch yet. Because for me (EU) it is still 14 euro and 99 cent. As far as I know more games have been temporarily free by accident because of the buggy store or human error than Sony have given away, so my money is still on a glitch until I see some sort of announcement or if it stays this way for more than a couple of days or even hours.

Edit: good to see the online pass is free though, what with the servers being down and all. Lolz.

Exactly this. People are wasting their time arguing over a possible glitch, it's not moral crap.

Edited by Lance_87

If Sony actually is doing something wrong... I'm not sure I agree that shutting down the servers of older games from a previous generation of console is any sort of heinous act... making LBPK free, of all games, isn't going to move the needle much in either direction.  If it's not just a glitch.  Not sure why anyone here is complaining.

Edited by Dreakon13

It gets old when people constantly complain about servers getting shut down of old games. Games are not going to have their servers up forever and if you miss the trophies, it's not the end of the world. The truth is a lot of people don't care about these games until a server closure is announced and then they try to rush the trophies. Then they complain if they don't get all the trophies. 

• Like 1