FALSE ALARM: LittleBigPlanet Karting Is Free On The NA PS Store

59 minutes ago, Bojuka76 said:

Really... "any value the game would have had"? How entitled are you? Did you even play the damn game. I find your argument completely composed on the idea that Sony specifically is the villain for closing the servers for old games... and not just giving it out to the masses? Sadly its not efficient for a company to do so. It doesn't help that unless you were in the EU and lucky the PSN digital version couldn't play multiplayer even if you had the online pass! You had to buy the physical copy and also get lucky in order to access the multiplayer, even then. So they weren't just milking the game before it died, everyone other than a small group of trophy hunters had already stopped playing.

And to finish off my statement. Your comment "Any value the game would have"... is so sad. What about the fun levels and story that was in the singleplayer? Does a game just become worthless to you once you can't earn a platinum from it? I played this game with my family and it was enjoyable. I couldn't do anything multiplayer wise till we quickly bought a physical copy or 2 so we could get the trophies. So don't say something so general, it just makes you sound like a fool. 

It goes further than servers being shut down. When Marvel Heroes Omega got shut down, Microsoft automatically issued refunds to every person who made any in-game purchases without any input being required from the people who purchased anything and when people asked Sony for the same treatment the response to their inquiries was that "all sales are final". Eventually Sony ended up caving in and accepting refunds for the EU regions but only for purchases made 90 days before the servers for the game were shut down. 

I have the platinum for LittleBigPlanet Karting and I've had it for over 2 years now, I'm not upset about the game whatsoever since I never intended to play it again regardless of whether the servers were up or not. What I was waiting for and calling was people saying "wow, that's so nice of Sony for making this free" because people always do that to any free shit, but in this case it's not a very nice thing to give for free when they have shut the servers. Heck, it's basically confirmed as a store glitch considering people are saying that they're not allowed to get it right now. This game in particular is the worst of the LittleBigPlanet games and Sony doesn't respect the product themselves otherwise they'd have kept the servers up. Every server they shut down is one step closer to the inevitable entire network shutdown that the PS3 is likely going to face and when that happens I bet we won't get access to our PS3 download lists and instead be told that PS Now provides enough PS3 games for us. 

2 minutes ago, Sergen said:

It goes further than servers being shut down. When Marvel Heroes Omega got shut down, Microsoft automatically issued refunds to every person who made any in-game purchases without any input being required from the people who purchased anything and when people asked Sony for the same treatment the response to their inquiries was that "all sales are final". Eventually Sony ended up caving in and accepting refunds for the EU regions but only for purchases made 90 days before the servers for the game were shut down. 

I have the platinum for LittleBigPlanet Karting and I've had it for over 2 years now, I'm not upset about the game whatsoever since I never intended to play it again regardless of whether the servers were up or not. What I was waiting for and calling was people saying "wow, that's so nice of Sony for making this free" because people always do that to any free shit, but in this case it's not a very nice thing to give for free when they have shut the servers. Heck, it's basically confirmed as a store glitch considering people are saying that they're not allowed to get it right now. This game in particular is the worst of the LittleBigPlanet games and Sony doesn't respect the product themselves otherwise they'd have kept the servers up. Every server they shut down is one step closer to the inevitable entire network shutdown that the PS3 is likely going to face and when that happens I bet we won't get access to our PS3 download lists and instead be told that PS Now provides enough PS3 games for us. 

Never heard people whine this much when they shut down servers for PS2 games. If you don't like servers going down, go play PC. It costs money to maintain servers and there's no point in keeping servers up for a console they don't even sell anymore. Even if they shut down the store, you'll still be able to download your purchases, you still can for the psp as well, you just can't buy anything anymore through the psp store, but still can through other platforms and the website.

Just now, SnowxSakura said:

Never heard people whine this much when they shut down servers for PS2 games. If you don't like servers going down, go play PC. It costs money to maintain servers and there's no point in keeping servers up for a console they don't even sell anymore. Even if they shut down the store, you'll still be able to download your purchases, you still can for the psp as well, you just can't buy anything anymore through the psp store, but still can through other platforms and the website.

A lot of people worked to fix the problem with PS2 games, OpenSpy allows you to connect to a lot of the GameSpy casualties. On PSN the games are often highly encrypted and nobody wants to get sued by Sony for restoring one of the games that their company specifically shut down. 

2 minutes ago, Sergen said:

A lot of people worked to fix the problem with PS2 games, OpenSpy allows you to connect to a lot of the GameSpy casualties. On PSN the games are often highly encrypted and nobody wants to get sued by Sony for restoring one of the games that their company specifically shut down. 

It even states in their terms of service that they won't guarantee servers for any amount of time

"For any PSN Service that uses online servers, we make no commitment to continue to make those servers available."

4 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

It even states in their terms of service that they won't guarantee servers for any amount of time

"For any PSN Service that uses online servers, we make no commitment to continue to make those servers available."

While I can't say I'm fond of Sony and how they're operating now, I do like PlayStation. I just think in general that when you're the most successful company of this generation of gaming you can have more respect for the games that built your brand. When you ask someone what a good FPS game for PS3 was, they'd say Killzone 2 or Resistance 2, when you ask what a good racing game was, they'd say Gran Turismo 5, Motorstorm and WipEout HD. They shut their flagship titles for these consoles, now while the games are old and you say that they cost money to run, that money wasn't hurting them when they have huge games that are guaranteed to be successful. I'm not complaining that they shut servers, I'm complaining that people would inevitably be saying how they're a great company for making a minor title free, one that they showed their lack of respect for with the server shutdown.

They've even started doing server shutdowns in as discrete ways as possible by only announcing the shutdown of Starhawk through the PSN store, someone who has the retail copy of the game and goes on the game while signed into PSN even to this day is prompted to buy the online pass, they could buy the online pass through the game and redeem it then fail to connect to the online. When they ask Sony why the online pass won't work, Sony will say that they shut the servers for the game, then when the person asks if they can get a refund for the online pass they'll be refused because there's a date on the store's website about the server shutdown although that person was prompted upon beginning the game to buy the online pass through the game. Sony increased the price of PS+ but also increased how frequently they decide to shut servers, it's also funny that with the games they've shut they've also forgot which platform the games are on, I don't remember seeing any copies of Killzone 2 for PS4 anywhere :)

30 minutes ago, Sergen said:

No you weren't. You jumped in this thread with "It's funny because people will probably say Sony is really generous for doing this, when they've destroyed their game and taken away all value it would have. Who really cares about the shitty single player races and a useless create mode?". This dumb entitled mentality is really played out. No server is going to last forever and to think otherwise is really dumb. I've never seen such a weird and unwarranted meltdown as the one you've been doing in this thread. 

• Like 2

We're not praising the company... they already gave away the game for free in the past. You're the one whining that we like getting free content? You're taking a suprised person, happy they might have gotten a game... for FREE... and making some argument against Sony about it. Even if they were giving away the game for free right now, which it does seem to be a glitch, at least it's something. Like what Microsoft does better? Go buy a Xbox. The fact of the matter is it's so easy for a company to do nothing. They also don't get all the proceeds from games on their system you know. They used to be in the red on physical games from other studios. No company is too big to fail, freeing up as many resources as possible is the only logical solution to keeping a company afloat. 

• Like 1

Man, how about people who want the free game, take the free game, and allow yourself to be happy about it if it's to your liking.

I don't get the whole "But guys! Sony is giving you a bad game and expects praise because nyaaaaah" thing. Yes, you're right, this doesn't excuse any of the other dealings of the company. But those are only tangentially relevant to the topic at hand.
They could also just have closed the server and not given out the game. Given the server closure, this is the best of the two possible things that could have happened.

And also, just to play devil's advocate here, remember that attacks to people's character doesn't make a good argument either!
"Your opinion is unpopular and tells me you're entitled" is a character attack. It's kind of unnecessary and unfriendly.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, itachi-destroyer said:

Can people just stop saying "they are giving the game for free" when everyone is paying a really costly subscription for those "free" games ? 

While yeah, you are paying a subscription, a year being 60$. Every month you get between 30-40 dollars worth of games. After your second month, on average, you're getting free content. So eventually it' is actually "free" 

• Like 1