How high would you rate the difficulty to plat Nioh?

Quink666

9 hours ago, Nai_Lienoj said:

I don’t think there is a mission where you have to play with half health, I don’t remember lol. But there are some missions that require you to fight some enemies with low level gear, I had to fight a huge electric beast with a wooden sword. And from what I remember, that mission is required if you’re going for 100%.

But not rage worthy it seems lol Seems little bit easier? 

Nioh is a relatively easy platinum. Just horde your spirit stones and you can spam them to beat the annoying missions where you need to fight multiple bosses in a row and/or at the same time. The DLC is where it gets stupidly difficult.

Edited by Anders_Fearer
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Anders_Fearer said:

Nioh is a relatively easy platinum. Just horde your spirit stones and you can spam them to beat the annoying missions where you need to fight multiple bosses in a row and/or at the same time. The DLC is where it gets stupidly difficult.

I see DLC rage!! lol  Mmm Have not played the game not sure what S.S. are but seems like souls or blood echos ..??

Currently on last mission in region 2 pushing region 3 and i would rate the difficulty 2 kicks in the balls and a karate chop to the throat. 

Some parts early on was annoying but i feels like it is getting slightly easier mission by mission, simply cause i level but also learn the game more. 

Can't wait to continue playing =>

18 minutes ago, Quink666 said:

Currently on last mission in region 2 pushing region 3 and i would rate the difficulty 2 kicks in the balls and a karate chop to the throat. 

Some parts early on was annoying but i feels like it is getting slightly easier mission by mission, simply cause i level but also learn the game more. 

Can't wait to continue playing =>

Can’t tell if that means it’s easy or not since I wouldn’t want any of those things :P. If you want to make things easy then invest in the Sloth and Weakness talismans under Onmyo magic as soon as possible. These make bosses considerably easier. On subsequent playthroughs Sloth is kinda useless as it lasts for a very short time but anything can help. I love the Soulsborne games and found Nioh just as addicting if not more so. Spent 4 weeks getting 100% and loved every minute of it.

8 minutes ago, ivangutjahr said:

Also most of the last missions you can summons random ppl, idk If I got lucky but most of the time I got companions that mostly 1hit all monsters lol

It wasn’t luck. A lot of people who make themselves available for co-op have completed the game on Way Of The Demon or higher so can easily kill anything on lower difficulties. I struggled with one of the DLC bosses as I was way underlevelled and he could one-shot me with any move so I summoned someone and after a few tries I got someone who took him out in literally seconds with a WotD build.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, FilmFanatic said:

Can’t tell if that means it’s easy or not since I wouldn’t want any of those things :P. If you want to make things easy then invest in the Sloth and Weakness talismans under Onmyo magic as soon as possible. These make bosses considerably easier. On subsequent playthroughs Sloth is kinda useless as it lasts for a very short time but anything can help. I love the Soulsborne games and found Nioh just as addicting if not more so. Spent 4 weeks getting 100% and loved every minute of it.

The problem i have with talismans is that they that 14 minutes to cast. Currently only have weakness talisman out of the 2 you mentioned, need to complete adept magic mission before i can get sloth.

Tried using it a few times, each time i was far away from the boss and tried using it right after the boss attacked and had downtime. I've been hit almost everytime i tried using it so far. But atleast you can get the instant cast mystic art later on. 

1 hour ago, Quink666 said:

The problem i have with talismans is that they that 14 minutes to cast. Currently only have weakness talisman out of the 2 you mentioned, need to complete adept magic mission before i can get sloth.

Tried using it a few times, each time i was far away from the boss and tried using it right after the boss attacked and had downtime. I've been hit almost everytime i tried using it so far. But atleast you can get the instant cast mystic art later on. 

Yeah it does come down to timing to use them but once you have the instant cast it becomes much easier. Once you have Sloth then using that first gives more time to use any others you need to.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Quink666 said:

There are items in the game that make the casting time faster too, look for Onmyo gears (armor), sometimes some of them have a blue text that states "Onmyo CASTING SPEED UP".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, renatabls said:

There are items in the game that make the casting time faster too, look for Onmyo gears (armor), sometimes some of them have a blue text that states "Onmyo CASTING SPEED UP".

Yeah only problem is im using way of the warrior of the west or whatever its called. Have the full 7 set bonus with items my level. Dont wanna ruin a good thing. Is there any other set item for low level chars? (lvl50ish) Currently only seen Warrior of the West, Tactician and the Bull something sets. 

1 hour ago, Quink666 said:

Yeah only problem is im using way of the warrior of the west or whatever its called. Have the full 7 set bonus with items my level. Dont wanna ruin a good thing. Is there any other set item for low level chars? (lvl50ish) Currently only seen Warrior of the West, Tactician and the Bull something sets. 

I used Warrior Of The West armour through my first 2 playthroughs, just keep equipping higher level versions of it as you come across them. I wouldn’t worry about increasing your casting speed. Just go for the Mystic Arte when you can. Realistically you should have more than enough time to cast it with a bit of distance between you and an enemy. You’re better off using items/armour that play to your style of combat and weapon of choice.

• Like 1

On 8/3/2018 at 6:14 PM, Titanomachy_75 said:

I see DLC rage!! lol  Mmm Have not played the game not sure what S.S. are but seems like souls or blood echos ..??

Yeah, Spirit Stones are basically Souls. You get so much from killing normal enemies, especially once you reach NG+ difficulty that you really don't need to use your spirit stones. You can just save them because every time you use one it fills your Living Weapon charge.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Anders_Fearer said:

Yeah, Spirit Stones are basically Souls. You get so much from killing normal enemies, especially once you reach NG+ difficulty that you really don't need to use your spirit stones. You can just save them because every time you use one it fills your Living Weapon charge.

I see thanks for the info

• 2 weeks later...

Just tought i'd give my opinion since i have now platted it.

If you do everything solo id probably rate this at a possible 7/10

If you summon on hard mission where it is possible its more likely a 4 or 5/10

You can Yokai Realm with a partner to do the 2 hardest double boss missions. 

I got a level 750 on both who basicly oneshotted them for me.

Was far easier then i tought when going into the game. 

Got so hooked on it i actually bought the season pass

• 7 months later...

I just got the plat a couple of days ago and I think that it's not actually that hard, you just need to commit to getting good at it.  It's not a game you can rush to plat.  But if you put the time in, and aren't ashamed of using the Ochoco cup then it's doable.  If you try and rush through it, your gonna have a bad time.

• 2 months later...

yeah this game isnt too bad but it's kicking my rear sometimes and i dont feel like im playing it wrong but im always underpowered and i feel like i could do much better

i was fighting yuki-onna a few days ago and it took me like an hour to beat her, granted im not a good gamer and ive been too lazy to learn the game's mechanics, i still dont know what ki pulse is good for, ive unlocked maybe two or three skills that i barely ever use, havent used any item other than elixirs and a few rocks, havent even touched ninjutsu and onmyo yet and im just randomly putting my stats wherever, i have no build, havent done anything at the blacksmith other than refashion my ugly armor so i could look like a ninja, didnt even know you could summon others to help you until i read a few posts here but i never do that anyway, just like in souls games

this game is really overwhelming with the amount of mechanics and tools and it throws at you, i havent really sat down and done anything with them, i just kinda pick up and play for a couple of hours a few times a week

my advice for new players is to not be like me and be too lazy and kinda bumble your way through but sit down early and experiment and try out using items and skills and figure out a build i guess

problem is respec-ing is extremely prohibitive so i can never really experiment as much as i want because the books required rise in price so fast

• 4 weeks later...

I kind of think the difficulty of this platinum doesn't even come from the game play; it comes from the sheer number of mechanics and lack of guidance to avoid breaking your character and having to rebuild it from scratch. Soulsborne games can get away with a bit of vagueness because the gear is so much more limited; you pick a weapon with a moveset you like, and then build around that. If you're coming from those games (like me) you'll feel super confident about Nioh, and get punished for it (also like me).

Here are some tips I've picked up the hard way:

- Don't get hung up on your post-England choice of equipment or guardian spirit, the 1 point bonus is trivial and you aren't otherwise locked down.

- When you start the first real level, experiment with the different weapon classes and stances. Every combination can significantly change your moveset, range, agility, and so on. Pick 2-3 to specialize with, ideally with some shared scaling stats. I primarily use dual swords and kusarigama in high stance, but I often switch to spears for boss fights when the attack window is short and I need range, or low stance when I need to play defensively.

- IMPORTANT: The game tells you that high stance attacks do more damage, and use more ki to attack. But the attacks also take longer, have less hits, and it takes more ki to block. Low stance is the opposite; lower damage, but quicker attacks and much lower ki usage to attack and block. I've had fights where I get demolished in high stance, and feel invincible in low stance. If you stay in one stance the entire game, you're making it harder for yourself than you realize.

- You probably want 10 points in Spirit to unlock your GS's abilities.

- Eventually you'll want 10 (and later 15) levels in Dexterity and Magic, to unlock missions that will fully open up the Ninjitsu and Magic skill trees. Once you've done these missions, you can re-spec and get the points back. You only need enough levels to get the skills you want, and remember to use mage/ninja hair for the extra points.

- After that it's the same as a Souls game; get enough Heart for your Ki to be at a level you like, then start cranking up your damage stats. There are no softcaps, so go ahead and take them to 99. 

- Combat is much closer to Bloodborne than Dark Souls; you can often block the first hit, but you'll run out of ki and get wrecked quickly if you try to tank a flurry of attacks. Block the first attack, dodge out of the way, and counter attack. And just like Bloodborne, dodging to the side or forwards is a lot more effective than dodging backwards.

- On a related note, you'd be surprised how many attacks you can block. Unblockable attacks are usually obviously telegraphed and avoidable.

- Regularly switch out your weapons for better ones with more relevant abilities. Elemental damage and skill damage are especially worth looking out for; with enough skill damage bonuses, and the right skills from your weapon tree, you'll be using them a lot more than your regular attacks. Soul matching probably isn't worth it unless you get super lucky with a specific weapon.

- Don't ignore your magic and ninjitsu! Weakness and sloth talismans are super powerful, lots of enemies have elemental weaknesses, and you can use groundfire traps to exploit the AI that tends to rush right at you. Look up Nioh Marobashi farming on Youtube for some hilarious examples of this.

The biggest difference is that this isn't a game you're meant to boss-rush; the randomized loot is the best evidence of that. You're supposed to grind and explore and get collectibles, and you can't really do that without getting better.

I found the plat quite easy...4 or 5 out of 10...worked my way up to way of the nioh with a simple kusarigama/ninjustsu build that I kept tweaking to be op...i found the dlc stuff, and particularly the bosses, a bit harder but highly recommend defiling gear in the abyss to unlock some pretty cool stuff to help you along the way...would rate the 100% 5 or 6 once you get to know how all the stats work and use them in your favour...a great game so I highly recommend the complete edition and doing a bit of farming/soul matching/stat rolling for an efficient combination of gear...

26 minutes ago, KainDMD said:

10/10 difficulty and nobody fucking helps. Bosses literally one shot you with their giant meteors and getsuga tensho anime attacks. Fuck this game!

Sounds like you are having trouble with Way of the Demon... Getting through Way of the Samurai and even Way of the Strong doesn't really require build optimization. Whenever you pick up some piece of gear that is better (in terms of stats) that what you are currently wearing, just swap the pieces and you're good to go. In that regard I agree that this platinum is about a 5/10, if that. 

But for surviving Way of the Demon, you really need to start thinking about synergies and optimization. A Yasakani Magatama is pretty much a must to get perks from at least two different armor sets, and soul forging equipment and weapons will really help you out. You cannot longer just tank bosses, but with some optimization they are far from one-shoting you. 

There are plenty of build videos out there (many require a huge amount of farming, but you don't need to optimize to that extreme point) that can help you out. I ended up with a fantastic dual-sword build with extra damage from Sign of the Cross and extra damage from behind. I wasn't being one-shoted by bosses.. I was the one one-shoting them ?

The main game has some points where the difficulty spikes.  Once you get access to the magic that slows down enemies, the Platinum becomes a lot easier.  The DLC however, spikes like a motherfucker and is way harder than the main game.  Each new DLC doesn’t follow a steady curve from the main game, so you will have to play partway into the next difficulty level of the main story, to be a suitable level for the first dlc in the base level difficulty for example.

4 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

Sounds like you are having trouble with Way of the Demon... Getting through Way of the Samurai and even Way of the Strong doesn't really require build optimization. Whenever you pick up some piece of gear that is better (in terms of stats) that what you are currently wearing, just swap the pieces and you're good to go. In that regard I agree that this platinum is about a 5/10, if that. 

But for surviving Way of the Demon, you really need to start thinking about synergies and optimization. A Yasakani Magatama is pretty much a must to get perks from at least two different armor sets, and soul forging equipment and weapons will really help you out. You cannot longer just tank bosses, but with some optimization they are far from one-shoting you. 

There are plenty of build videos out there (many require a huge amount of farming, but you don't need to optimize to that extreme point) that can help you out. I ended up with a fantastic dual-sword build with extra damage from Sign of the Cross and extra damage from behind. I wasn't being one-shoted by bosses.. I was the one one-shoting them 1f62c.png

Of course this game is super easy if you one shot bosses. Give me your character and I can do the same on any difficulty. But I get one shotted anyway, my +15 gear means nothing!