How high would you rate the difficulty to plat Nioh?

Quink666

4 minutes ago, KainDMD said:

Of course this game is super easy if you one shot bosses. Give me your character and I can do the same on any difficulty. But I get one shotted anyway, my +15 gear means nothing!

That's exactly what I meant with soul forging. +15 gear is nothing that late into Way of the Demon, you need to soul-forge your equipment to get it further up. It takes time, and costs millions and millions, but it will help for sure. 

4 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

That's exactly what I meant with soul forging. +15 gear is nothing that late into Way of the Demon, you need to soul-forge your equipment to get it further up. It takes time, and costs millions and millions, but it will help for sure. 

Actually that was just normal mode where the demon samurai and demon fox kill me. On way of the demon I'm stuck at the blob boss.

• 7 months later...

4 / 10 for platinum

10 / 10 for DLC. 

I eated Bloodborne for breakfest, and I just can't beat most Nioh WotD missions. I think this is a design flaw when I can beat missions on Way of the Nioh, but have problems beating missions THREE DIFFICULITY LEVELS LOWER (some fights with 2 bosses on WotS). I know a lot people says you can one shot bosses etc with the right bulid but for bulid I need to theorycraft and watch videos and I just want to play, and beat the game with skill but I find it impossible :(

Also: because of the nerfs, a lot bulids works different and even at level 400 switching bulid is like a countless hours investment since it's hard to find every thing it needs.

tl;dr: for me this is the hardest game to 100% and I feel that the game is unfair. Too bad, because first 200h, until the wall was quite fun. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Early game is somewhat difficult, like 6/10, then it gets easier and easier, like dropping down to 4/10. If you co-op any, it's way easier. When you get to the DLCs, if you get co-op help, it's relatively easy, but there are stuff you can't co-op. This means you gotta improve your own character too, and level, skills and especially gear makes a huge difference. The game is a huge looter slasher, and you'll get so much gear and there's a lot of micro management of that. To access much better armor, you need to progress to the later playthroughs, which requires you to get through enough levels in the game (which can be done co-op) but also get through the last level, which requires you to beat solo. That means your character or you actually needs to be good enough to progress. Most of the level is rather easy and simple, and you can run through it rather safely, but the last part pits you against 3 strong enemies at once, enemies that alone might be super easy, but together is a huge hurdle. These enemies do massive damage, and so you'll quickly die. You can try to lure them out to fight one by one, and the first one is usually rather simple, the two other ones is the difficult part. You want to try only lure one of those too. You'll likely use living weapon (like a limit break) and pop a certain item to activate it again, though this do take time, and so it's not some done deal. Afterwards you also need to beat one of the bosses, definitely not the easiest in the game either, so this can be a blocker, again, popping items to do living weapon over and over is a bit more safe here and might be what makes you able to progress if you struggle. In the new playthrough the enemies are much stronger and will easily slaughter you, and you need to upgrade your gear again etc, and it's a bit of a grind to do this again. Each playthrough has caps. To get 100%, you need to beat pretty much every level on NG++. NG++ isn't like Dark Souls, you can still go back and play in NG or NG+. The normal DLC levels on NG difficulty feels like NG+ and NG++ content. You'll probably make it just fine given enough time, but it gets a bit of a chore near the end, but much more doable and fun with a friend. You can also try to do stuff with randoms online, which I've had rather decent result with. This makes a HUGE difference too, even if enemies are stronger. I'm not done with the DLC yet, so shouldn't rate it, but I'd say at least 6-7/10, at least if you don't get a lot of co op help.

Compared to Dark Souls? I personally find Dark Souls not all that difficult, nor Bloodborne. Only difficult thing in Bloodborne is a couple of the chalice dungeon bosses.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

i've had this game for ages, dlc too. i love souls games but i can't bring myself to play this shit, every bad, ok, and good build got nerfed to fuck, every area is level gated forcing you to grind monotanous shit for hrs. there's a boss that drops the pinnacle weapon for endgame that you need to push into the last trophies, and you have to fight this prick for 20 + hrs in the hope it drops something shitty for you. that was probably nerfed 3 times aswel.

everything about this game puts me off i mist just delete the license beacause i can't be arsed.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2020 at 2:39 PM, MatThaRiPP3R84 said:

i've had this game for ages, dlc too. i love souls games but i can't bring myself to play this shit, every bad, ok, and good build got nerfed to fuck, every area is level gated forcing you to grind monotanous shit for hrs. there's a boss that drops the pinnacle weapon for endgame that you need to push into the last trophies, and you have to fight this prick for 20 + hrs in the hope it drops something shitty for you. that was probably nerfed 3 times aswel.

everything about this game puts me off i mist just delete the license beacause i can't be arsed.

But you don't actually need any of the stuff you said you grinded for...

• 1 month later...

I just re-started this game, and it’s an oddball. I think it’s hard...sort of? I’m still early (just beat the Centipede), but I’ve just done missions as they appeared, with no additional grinding outside of searching for revenants (which seems pointless, but is kind of fun).

Bosses are often cheap, but you can cheap them right back. I’ve died three times, but have never lost my grave. I have no idea whatI’m doing for my build. I’ve settled on stealthy ninja that uses a battle axe (ax? Either?). It looks ridiculous, but it seems to work. 

The plat will happen, and I’ll rate its difficulty then, but I’m feeling a 5 out of 10.

Edited by starcrunch061

• 1 month later...

I'd say it's just a tad more challenging than Bloodborne, although that perspective is perhaps a bit skewed since Bloodborne was the first SoulsBorne game I ever played. Since then, I've platinumed Lords Of The Fallen and The Surge and have a little more experience with this genre, but I'd still rate Nioh a 7 or 8 out of 10 in terms of difficulty. 

Edited by drfk168
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

Reading through this thread is interesting, and makes me want to finally fire this game up. I’m a big Souls fan and have heard Nioh is pretty awesome for quite some time now, but just never seem to get around to playing it. And now that I own a copy there’s really no excuse lol,

After I bought complete edition few years ago, I tried to get into it few times over six months and I got as far as Umi-bozu (or whatever it was called, the blob boss). By that time I had more than enough of dying, it seemed like the most difficult thing I've ever played. Then a year later, when it popped in ps+, my friend was busting my balls to play some in coop. We tackled few first missions together and out of nowhere I started to have load of fun with it. I literally blasted through whole game and dlcs on my own, then ng+, ng+2, ng+3... I played a lot after I got 100% which doesn't happen often, I'm currently around half the way of WotN and have ~500 hours on my savefile. 

I've been using spear all the way and never really grinded that much. Once I reached next difficulty level I rushed some missions just to unlock 4th region and spent 1-2 hours on Giant Toad duel mission. He is super easy and you can pretty quickly up your items ranks with his drops to make your life easier on next cycle. 

Someone already mentioned here that dlcs are tougher in general and they feel like base game +1 difficulty level. That's true, also dlcs has some insanely cheap bosses like Maria, which is the only boss I had to cheese my way through. Nonetheless, once you get the hang of the combat, dlcs, though harder, are absolutely managable. 

10 hours ago, dieselmanchild said:

Reading through this thread is interesting, and makes me want to finally fire this game up. I’m a big Souls fan and have heard Nioh is pretty awesome for quite some time now, but just never seem to get around to playing it. And now that I own a copy there’s really no excuse lol,

I’d be happy to co-op. Although the time difference would make this semi-impossible 

Niohs a strange one for me and I decided to start this game purely because friends have bugged me and I’ve never tried one of these types of games before 

I love the missions, the exploring and combat. Progressing a little bit each time, trying out new stances, Weapons etc. Then I come to the bosses and it just kills my vibe, I get that’s the point but it’s just not really my jam.

i’m stuck on the third boss so I know I’m still early doors and that the second boss was a great feeling to finally beat... but meh I dunno. I’ll keep at it but I doubt I’ll play another one like this 

On 2020-12-05 at 5:10 AM, maniek515 said:

After I bought complete edition few years ago, I tried to get into it few times over six months and I got as far as Umi-bozu (or whatever it was called, the blob boss). By that time I had more than enough of dying, it seemed like the most difficult thing I've ever played. Then a year later, when it popped in ps+, my friend was busting my balls to play some in coop. We tackled few first missions together and out of nowhere I started to have load of fun with it. I literally blasted through whole game and dlcs on my own, then ng+, ng+2, ng+3... I played a lot after I got 100% which doesn't happen often, I'm currently around half the way of WotN and have ~500 hours on my savefile. 

Wow! Well it’s nice to hear another glowing review for this game. It’s interesting how games can grow on you like that as well... I’ve played a few games before that I wasn’t too hot on initially, so I put them down. But eventually you return and it’s almost like you see it in a different light, and you end up really enjoying it.

I’d bet part of the reason you enjoyed it so much when you came back to it was because you were playing and exploring with a friend. Although solo is the true test of mettle in these Soulslike games, I always find playing with a friend, or even a random, is so much more fun and really enhances the enjoyment. I always try to beat the bosses myself once so I know I can do it, then I like to join other players and help them right afterwards while the experience is still fresh. It’s so much more fun that way!

On 2020-12-05 at 6:10 AM, mikem192 said:

I’d be happy to co-op. Although the time difference would make this semi-impossible 

Niohs a strange one for me and I decided to start this game purely because friends have bugged me and I’ve never tried one of these types of games before 

I love the missions, the exploring and combat. Progressing a little bit each time, trying out new stances, Weapons etc. Then I come to the bosses and it just kills my vibe, I get that’s the point but it’s just not really my jam.

i’m stuck on the third boss so I know I’m still early doors and that the second boss was a great feeling to finally beat... but meh I dunno. I’ll keep at it but I doubt I’ll play another one like this 

That would be fun! When I start this game I’ll try to remember to keep you in mind. ?

Also I agree with what you said. These types of games are usually all about the epic boss encounters, but that is rarely my favourite part. Some of the bosses in the Soulsborne games are truly jaw dropping, epic fights that you’ll remember for a long time. But I find the parts I enjoy the most is usually all the stuff in between. Exploring, fighting mobs, finding new loot and testing out different types of weapons as you progress and watch the map unfold slowly. That part of the gameplay loop is very addictive to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I said I would rate difficulty when I got the plat, but forgot. Anyway, I rate it about 5 if you play solo. Not a joke, but not bone-crushing, either. There aren’t many enemy types, so it’s pretty easy to develop strategies.

As an aside, the DLC missions are much harder. One of them has the stupidest design I’ve ever seen. It makes me wonder how Ieyasu ever unified Japan if he was so incompetent.

I recently started Nioh because I never got around to play it and I really want to play Nioh 2, I have been playing with a friend who's a big fan of the series and he's been playing coop with me. It's been insanely fast playing with him, so that's really the difference maker. If you play solo, it'd definitely take a bit more time but it's not bad overall. I wanted to speed through it as quick as I could to get to Nioh 2. You can also utilize exploits if u have a disc version to make things easier. 

I'd say 3-6 difficulty solo depending on how experienced you are with these games and how into the loot/builds you are. 1-3 if you play coop and speed run. I'm gonna do the DLC's soon.

Edited by Kal-El457

• 3 weeks later...

Getting the plat for Nioh is like a 5-6/10 first time playing since you need to learn the game and the mechanics. The dlc trophies for the 100% can be difficult if you don’t invest some time in creating a good build for Way of the Demon difficulty.

I personally spend a bit of time making a build that could withstand WotD and made it much easier - a dual sword build focused on huge damage perks (especially for sign of the cross) and wearing very heavy armor while still at B agility. It paid dividends with all of the preparation throughout the WotD play though, the game felt like a 3 or 4/10. To make it easier for yourself it really requires you to learn the game and everything about the blacksmith and some farming is more than likely required to make a great build.