Is This Game Worth It?

SuperSaiyan3985

So I’ve seen mixed opinions about this game. Some say it’s good, others not so much. I thought I’d open this post as a consensus for whether or not I start on it. Thing is I got this via PS+, but it’s a 90-hour Platinum and if the game sucks I don’t wanna waste my time with it. With that being said, what do you all think? 

It's a solid game but please make sure to use multiple autosave slots in case of glitches, and go for trickier combat challenges while you're going through the story still so you don't end up screwed over. It's a tad grindy but it's a fun game imo

Thanks for the advice everybody but I’m gonna go with @redcar200’s recommendation to skip it. On top of the tediousness there are glitch trophies which terrify me. I wish it wasn’t such a crappy Platinum because it looks like a cool game but ah well, at least there’s Mafia 3 coming through PS+ which shouldn’t be as bad.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/30/2018 at 6:58 AM, gamesfourever said:

I think its garbage. here you can read my opinion in great detail. Also, the plat is unobtainable at the moment (patch 1.05) due to some races being bugged. 

A bugged Platinum? Yeah no thank you. I already decided on skipping this game but you only further justified my decision. 

• 1 year later...

Most definitely, and I haven't had a single major issue during my 100+hrs of playtime.

On 7/31/2018 at 9:29 PM, TheLakota said:

It's completely worth it and one of my favorite games. The bugs were mostly ironed out with updates, so I doubt you'd experience a game-breaking glitch locking you out of the platinum. 

On 7/31/2018 at 9:49 PM, themilkman83 said:

Its definitely a long haul but an awesome game. I completed the plat recently and didn't run into any glitches. Keep an eye on the challenges and try to complete some of the trickier ones before you completely liberate the map of enemies.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

This game was a surprise hit for me. It's a decent game with plenty to do. I would advise though that you be vigilant and make sure to use multiple autosave slots in case of glitches. I think alot since I played it have been eradicated so the run for the plat should be pretty painless.

One tip, I would go for trickier combat challenges while you are playing through the main story, I didn’t and waiting out for enemies to spawn when they are all pretty much eliminated can be a bigger time sink and frustrating. It's pretty grindy but if you focus on getting alot done in between teh story, you’ll be in a better position post game for the grind. It's a fun game imo and like I said, was a favourite of mine when it released.

• Like 1

This game is awesome. but if you’re looking to 100% it I’d say there is a very high chance it will be frustrating. There’s some very glitchy collectibles. It upset me a bit but I got over it and really enjoyed the game. Big world tons of stuff to do. Really captures the feels of the movie. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SilkyJay86 said:

Haven't gotten back to it, but right away I dug it.  Love the dude who rides with you and fixs your car.  Can't believe it's from '15.  days gone couldve taken a note or two from my first hr of play w/o a doubt.  I look forward to playing this ten fold.

Name is Chumbucket. (Very welcomed addition to the game.) Me too. What are some examples DG's could have learned from MM? I thoroughly enjoyed my time with MM, and after seeing all 4 movies (back to back) after finishing the game my feelings still haven't changed drastically at all.

1 hour ago, entonces55 said:

This game is awesome. but if you’re looking to 100% it I’d say there is a very high chance it will be frustrating. There’s some very glitchy collectibles. It upset me a bit but I got over it and really enjoyed the game. Big world tons of stuff to do. Really captures the feels of the movie. 

Only glitch based in that one set's (set consisting of scrap + relic) mark possibly won't show up on the map throughout a play-through—considering the other known but also obsolete glitch should have been patched out—but it can still be picked up without issue so long as you still (easily) find the area. The ones in the strongholds don't count as glitched; they're just not marked for strongholds. 

48 minutes ago, thefourfoldroot said:

Hasn't even got appealing environments given the source material.

For its premise it has objectively appealing environments; that's one of the game's top strongest features. The movies, which FYI serve as only inspiration for the game, in this case truly don't hold a candle to the game's environments (no exaggeration). The weather system is also superior in the game.

Edited by EcoShifter
  • Like 1

On 7/31/2018 at 8:27 PM, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

So I’ve seen mixed opinions about this game. Some say it’s good, others not so much. I thought I’d open this post as a consensus for whether or not I start on it. Thing is I got this via PS+, but it’s a 90-hour Platinum and if the game sucks I don’t wanna waste my time with it. With that being said, what do you all think? 

Glad you made this post cause I was just thinking about playing it. Unfortunately I have had at least 5 people tell me the update did not fix all the glitches so I will also skip

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Princejeffy said:

Glad you made this post cause I was just thinking about playing it. Unfortunately I have had at least 5 people tell me the update did not fix all the glitches so I will also skip

Tell me about it, there's nothing I hate more than glitched trophies. For that reason I'm setting it as low priority because I have so many other games to play ATM but I'll keep it in mind. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

Tell me about it, there's nothing I hate more than glitched trophies. For that reason I'm setting it as low priority because I have so many other games to play ATM but I'll keep it in mind. 

They're not glitched. The game itself has glitches, like every single other game ever developed. The few glitches, which are not guaranteed to show up, that can affect trophies are not major whatsoever (unless it's one of those once in a lifetime serious bugs). I highly doubt the "5" people that guy talked to are credible, especially with how easy it is to falsely label some inconveniences as bugs/glitches. I started the game fresh this year and had none of the major outdated issues the game use to have except one bugged scavenging location on the map (not the openworld), which wasn't a big deal because it was a visual related issue on the map that didn't actually prevent me from picking up the loot. I've encountered bigger issues with The Last of Us Remastered because of its notorious collectibles' bug, which was a nightmare.

My total playtime with the game list 5 days, also, which is a really long time with the game, way beyond that of the listed approximate. The reasoning for that time is because I was enjoying myself, screwing around, and actually trying to earn the platinum without assistance.

21 hours ago, EcoShifter said:

They're not glitched. The game itself has glitches, like every single other game ever developed. The few glitches, which are not guaranteed to show up, that can affect trophies are not major whatsoever (unless it's one of those once in a lifetime serious bugs). I highly doubt the "5" people that guy talked to are credible, especially with how easy it is to falsely label some inconveniences as bugs/glitches. I started the game fresh this year and had none of the major outdated issues the game use to have except one bugged scavenging location on the map (not the openworld), which wasn't a big deal because it was a visual related issue on the map that didn't actually prevent me from picking up the loot. I've encountered bigger issues with The Last of Us Remastered because of its notorious collectibles' bug, which was a nightmare.

My total playtime with the game list 5 days, also, which is a really long time with the game, way beyond that of the listed approximate. The reasoning for that time is because I was enjoying myself, screwing around, and actually trying to earn the platinum without assistance.

Not every game has glitches LOL. I'm over 100 hours into Death Stranding and I haven't seen a bug. I don't mind insignificant glitches like late renders or dying by falling through the ground, but whenever a game has buggy trophies I tend to stay away from it.

4 minutes ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

Not every game has glitches LOL. I'm over 100 hours into Death Stranding and I haven't seen a bug. I don't mind insignificant glitches like late renders or dying by falling through the ground, but whenever a game has buggy trophies I tend to stay away from it.

Yeah they do. Claiming otherwise is saying a game is perfect, which no game is. Personally not encountering a glitch/bug =/= not existing. Death Stranding is not glitch/bug free.