PS Plus games for August 2018: Mafia 3, Dead by Deadlight, and more...

crimsonidol38

2 hours ago, Maxie Mouse said:

The base game, the Special Edition, has 6 killers and 7 survivors. And nope, only the base game is offered for free to PS+ members.

Speaking of DLC, it’s worth it. I personally like playing Michael Myers, Leatherface, the Huntress and the Clown. Ironically, the Huntress has probably the most frustrating of the grindiest trophies  (:silver: Skilled Huntress) in the game, and Michael Myers has the most challenging one (:silver: Evil Incarnate) yet the most satisfying trophy I’ve got after the Platinum. I can’t really name specific survivors since they all play the same way but their unique perks differentiate them from others.

If you like the game enough, I recommend of buying them all, so you’ll be able to progress on all DLCs while going after the Platinum. I tell you, by going after all DLCs and the Platinum, they’ll distract you from the grinding 500 sacrifices and the level cap Prestige III Level 50 for a character. I’ve gotten the 500 sacrifices on the latest DLC. Just keep those in mind:

• Of all the DLCs, The Lullaby for the Dark and the Curtain Call chapters are the free DLCs. The Lullaby for the Dark is displayed as “DLC” and it’ll unlock the Huntress and David King as soon owned. The Clown and Kate Dawson are integrated in the latest major update and you can either unlock them over time with 9000 Iridescent Shards each, or simply pay them as DLC pack or with the paid Auric Cells currency.
  • All DLC trophies can be done with all survivors and killers, the expection of the trophies linked to specific characters. BUT as far as I know, you must own the DLCs in order to progress and unlock their trophies, same for The Lullaby for the Dark but it’s free and you need to ‘install’ it. The only DLC that you don’t need to own for unlocking trophies is recently the Curtain Call one, of course you get to unlock the Clown and Kate for their respective trophies.

I hope I cleared information for you! :)

Awesome. Thanks for the explanation, Maxie!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dessane said:

I always like to look at it like this, hopefully some of you find it useful too

Game  Platforms   Trophies   Difficulty   Comp. time   Plays 
Bound by Flame   PS3 Ps3.png   PS4 Ps4.png    
 29 Bronze trophy.png   9 Silver trophy.png   3 Gold trophy.png   1 Platinum trophy.png 
 medium   20 – 60 hours   2 – 3 
Dead By Daylight   PS4 Ps4.png    
 56 Bronze trophy.png   4 Silver trophy.png   1 Gold trophy.png   1 Platinum trophy.png 
 hard   150 hours   1 
Draw Slasher  Vita Vita.png 
 9 Bronze trophy.png   3 Silver trophy.png   1 Gold trophy.png 
 easy   8 – 12 hours   1 
Here They Lie   PS4 Ps4.png    
 5 Bronze trophy.png   7 Silver trophy.png   0 Gold trophy.png 
 very easy   3 – 8 hours   1 – 2 
Knowledge is Power   PS4 Ps4.png    
 35 Bronze trophy.png   9 Silver trophy.png   2 Gold trophy.png   1 Platinum trophy.png 
 easy   8 – 12 hours   n/a 
Mafia III   PS4 Ps4.png    
 50 Bronze trophy.png   4 Silver trophy.png   1 Gold trophy.png   1 Platinum trophy.png 
 easy   40 – 60 hours   2 
Serious Sam 3: BFE   PS3 Ps3.png    
 26 Bronze trophy.png   9 Silver trophy.png   4 Gold trophy.png   1 Platinum trophy.png 
 very hard   35 – 50 hours   4 
Space Hulk (31-trophy list)   PS3 Ps3.png   Vita Vita.png 
 10 Bronze trophy.png   15 Silver trophy.png   5 Gold trophy.png   1 Platinum trophy.png 
 medium   40 hours   3 

DId you do this list yourself ? It's useful !

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Gwendly said:

https://psprices.com/region-us/game/961520/mafia-iii-season-pass

It's been on sale numerous times in the past, at least for NA

14 hours ago, theSpirae said:

Yeah, for $15, not really a free game at the end. Heck, you can get Mafia 3 + SP for $20 physical.

I'd rather they give us one full (FULL) game. The same thing happened with Xcom 2, Bloodborne, etc.

13 hours ago, Gwendly said:

I'm confused, I pointed put that the season pass has been on sale before, I can't help if you think the price is too high; it's still been on sale.

And last I checked you *are* getting a full game in Mafia 3, the DLC is not required. It's not like Destiny where not having the dlc makes the base game crappy.

Smdh

13 hours ago, theSpirae said:

That $15 is already discounted SP. The point is you can buy Base+SP physical for $20. Here you get free base game and $15 SP. Remember, it's not free, we're paying a monthly subscription. 

"Base game" = full game, come on. Nobody forces you to buy the DLC. This is like saying "I got a caravan for free, but an awning still costs money" - you can go on a holiday perfectly fine without an awning, and if you enjoy the caravan then you can eventually buy an awning. Still better than being forced to buy an awning without even knowing if you'll like the caravan.

And I'm pretty sure that not only did we not get the Bloodborne DLC for free on PS+, but that no game in the history of PS+ had their DLC for free, unless either 1) the game was a complete edition from an earlier platform anyways and/or 2) the game is episodic in nature.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

The only game I'm even remotely interested in is Mafia 3, but that's a mediocre game at best, and it also has a bunch of paid DLC you need for the 100%..... Yeah, I think I'll pass. Very bad lineup in my opinion - one of the worst in recent memory.

... Or we can remember the first two years of PS+ on the PS4.

6 hours ago, Soufwar said:

The thing is, why Space Hulk? Isn’t that like a dead game? Can anyone elaborate on Space Hulk? 

Since my PC keeps giving me an error trying to quote posts on different pages...@Seskinator, @fabmorais_2011, @GTA_Darren and @voodoo_eyes I'll try to answer your questions (at least for the NA version) as one of the 74 NA game owners on the website...bottom line is the game is terrible...

The unobtainable plat (from what I've read) belongs to the PS4 version and has to do with the 'Forged in battle' trophy not popping after completing all of the requirements. That trophy popped for me so it should be all set.

The biggest reason for the low completion rate is the game is just bad and nobody can get through it. The game mechanics are clunky where you utilized the touch screen for certain things and the controls/buttons for others, and it's not always apparent when you're supposed to use one or the other. The times you use the touch screen, the text is so small it's easy to think it's not a touch screen mechanic when it is. It took me about 20 minutes to figure out how to get into the game itself. Not all of the game is available either, there are menus and game modes that are blocked off so that it seems like they released an incomplete game. Once you get the hang of it, the game itself isn't terrible but I don't see too many people having the patience to figure that out. In addition to the clunky mechanics...the lag and frame rate drops are horrendous. The longer a level takes, the more the lag is in between rounds.

The other big reason this won't have a lot of people with the platinum is the 'There is only war!' trophy for 40,000 kills. The difficulty levels do not stack so you need to play through the game at a minimum three times and to make matters worse, you can't earn any trophies on the easy play through so none of your kills on easy count towards this total. I finished normal and hard mode to get all of the basic trophies and still didn't kill enough aliens to hit 1,000 kills, so it is not a trophy you would ever get through normal gameplay. There is an 'undo' function by pressing circle that will undo your last move. Fortunately, the kills you made before undoing still count, however it takes between 15-30 seconds for the screen to reload and is time consuming. There are a few levels where you can trap 10-11 aliens in the room and clear them out (with an 83% chance to kill) with a flamethrower, undo and recycle.

I have been working on this last trophy since March in small doses. About 4-5 times a week, for 30 minutes to an hour, I have a save with the scenario above and just kill aliens, hit circle to undo, kill aliens, hit circle to undo, etc. I wasn't really tracking the first couple of months so I really don't know how far along I am. I started using the calculator on my phone in July and since I started using that, I have killed 23,172 aliens. I'm going to assume I killed around 13k-15k aliens before I started using the calculator so I'm hoping I am almost done with this...however I did die once by accident so if those kills don't count from the time I died...I could still have about 15,000 to go. 

If you do decide to try this game/trophy...pro tip...DO NOT save and restart your game (seems to help with the lag to restart the game periodically) after using the flamethrower and before using undo. When you reload your game, the undo ability is gone and all the aliens in that room will be dead. The odds that you will be able to set up that scenario again during that play through are pretty slim and you will probably die. If I get into the 30k area on my cell phone, I will know for sure that those kills didn't count but for now I'm hoping I only have a few K left to kill.

While I wouldn't mind seeing the rarity rate go down on this title...I can't in good conscience recommend it...even if it is free.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Briste said:

Since my PC keeps giving me an error trying to quote posts on different pages...@Seskinator, @fabmorais_2011, @GTA_Darren and @voodoo_eyes I'll try to answer your questions (at least for the NA version) as one of the 74 NA game owners on the website...bottom line is the game is terrible...

To be honest, I only asked about it out of curiosity. I never actually intended to download that game. Cheers for the input though.

3 hours ago, Briste said:

That's very informative, thanks for putting this out there. Like @voodoo_eyes, I had already dismissed the game, but I think it's useful to have this here to alert potential players.

3 hours ago, Briste said:

The unobtainable plat (from what I've read) belongs to the PS4 version and has to do with the 'Forged in battle' trophy not popping after completing all of the requirements. That trophy popped for me so it should be all set.

The biggest reason for the low completion rate is the game is just bad and nobody can get through it. The game mechanics are clunky where you utilized the touch screen for certain things and the controls/buttons for others, and it's not always apparent when you're supposed to use one or the other. The times you use the touch screen, the text is so small it's easy to think it's not a touch screen mechanic when it is. It took me about 20 minutes to figure out how to get into the game itself. Not all of the game is available either, there are menus and game modes that are blocked off so that it seems like they released an incomplete game. Once you get the hang of it, the game itself isn't terrible but I don't see too many people having the patience to figure that out. In addition to the clunky mechanics...the lag and frame rate drops are horrendous. The longer a level takes, the more the lag is in between rounds.

The other big reason this won't have a lot of people with the platinum is the 'There is only war!' trophy for 40,000 kills. The difficulty levels do not stack so you need to play through the game at a minimum three times and to make matters worse, you can't earn any trophies on the easy play through so none of your kills on easy count towards this total. I finished normal and hard mode to get all of the basic trophies and still didn't kill enough aliens to hit 1,000 kills, so it is not a trophy you would ever get through normal gameplay. There is an 'undo' function by pressing circle that will undo your last move. Fortunately, the kills you made before undoing still count, however it takes between 15-30 seconds for the screen to reload and is time consuming. There are a few levels where you can trap 10-11 aliens in the room and clear them out (with an 83% chance to kill) with a flamethrower, undo and recycle.

I have been working on this last trophy since March in small doses. About 4-5 times a week, for 30 minutes to an hour, I have a save with the scenario above and just kill aliens, hit circle to undo, kill aliens, hit circle to undo, etc. I wasn't really tracking the first couple of months so I really don't know how far along I am. I started using the calculator on my phone in July and since I started using that, I have killed 23,172 aliens. I'm going to assume I killed around 13k-15k aliens before I started using the calculator so I'm hoping I am almost done with this...however I did die once by accident so if those kills don't count from the time I died...I could still have about 15,000 to go. 

If you do decide to try this game/trophy...pro tip...DO NOT save and restart your game (seems to help with the lag to restart the game periodically) after using the flamethrower and before using undo. When you reload your game, the undo ability is gone and all the aliens in that room will be dead. The odds that you will be able to set up that scenario again during that play through are pretty slim and you will probably die. If I get into the 30k area on my cell phone, I will know for sure that those kills didn't count but for now I'm hoping I only have a few K left to kill.

While I wouldn't mind seeing the rarity rate go down on this title...I can't in good conscience recommend it...even if it is free.

I really appreciate your detailed explanation of the horror that this game seems to be. 

You saved me bucket loads of time, my friend. 

Despite it being free, I will not be picking this title up. Good thing that Mafia 3 and a few other titles look very good for August :-D. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dangisuckatgamin said:

... Or we can remember the first two years of PS+ on the PS4.

Which is why i said in recent memory. It has been a while since the lineup hasn't included at least one good/great game, even if I already own those most of the time.

16 hours ago, DynaVita said:

DId you do this list yourself ? It's useful !

I use https://www.psntrophywiki.org/wiki/Main_Page to make them, if you sign up you can set up a personal page like mine that you can edit. I used to use it for my backlog but now I just do the monthly games to give myself a snap shot the games have all that info built in on that site so it pulls them up for you if you set up the table right

Edited by Dessane

On 8/1/2018 at 8:33 AM, Zofia said:

Anyone know if Dead by Daylight is any good? 

For me it plays alongside games like Rocket League. You play a match and it lasts for 10-30 minutes. Then you can put it down for a few days without missing out on anything.

On terms of trophies, this game and Rocket League are two fun games that I will continue to play even after acquiring all trophies... DBD is incredibly fun and 'balanced'.

Play as a notorious killer, hunting 4 other players/survivors, or play as a survivor and try and escape the Killer's menacing presence. The concept is good.. one of those games that doesn't take much to have fun with, but to rank up to the higher levels will take some skill.

The Matchmaking is fairly good at the lower levels (from 20-15 or so) which is where most of the beginners will be for a chunk of time, you'll have killers that don't understand they have a 2nd ability... and you'll have survivors that don't understand you need to fix generators to escape.

For me personally it is one of the top 5 games for replay-ability just because it is never the same game twice. The thrill of hunting your prey, or the anxiety of hiding from a killer... keeps the game fresh :)

On 03/08/2018 at 6:46 PM, theSpirae said:

Base game is no a full game. There's no discussion about it.

There's no discussion about it because you're flat-out wrong. But have your little moment there, if you want to. Must be tiring for you.

There's some games which are broken and incomplete at base game level (EA probably has a fair share of examples) but most games are full at the base games, and have DLC for some extra experience. For instance, all Assassin's Creed games have a full game as the base game, and have DLC with an additional story, often completely unrelated to the base game. Just Cause 3 was on PS+ this year and is complete at base game level. Bloodborne was on PS+ and is complete at base game level. I haven't played Mafia III yet but I'm relatively certain that it'll be the same.

And even if it's not, you still haven't responded to the other point me and others have made: that by getting the base game for free, we can play through it and if we enjoy it, we can buy the DLC for a smaller price than the collection would be, instead of needing to buy everything at once before even knowing if we like the base game.

You also haven't responded to me correcting you when you said that we got Bloodborne on PS+ including the DLC, which was flat-out wrong too. But I guess you can't think of anything true to contribute to the discussion than just saying your opinion is true without regarding any counterpoint.

• Like 2

On 01/08/2018 at 10:22 PM, Undead Wolf said:

The only game I'm even remotely interested in is Mafia 3, but that's a mediocre game at best, and it also has a bunch of paid DLC you need for the 100%..... Yeah, I think I'll pass. Very bad lineup in my opinion - one of the worst in recent memory.

Am I strange that I don't consider getting 100% important? I much prefer the platinum trophy, which is often faster without DLC. Plus, it's rare that DLC adds anything truly new to a game, rather, it tends to just bloat it out.