6.00 Beta now LIVE

JapanimeGamer

As a member of the PlayStation®4 System Software Beta Trial programme, we are pleased to give you first access to the 6.00 Beta, which is now live.

At this Beta stage, the 6.00 update does not include any new major consumer-facing features. However we would still value the community's help in fine-tuning the performance and stability improvements the update brings.

Use the button below to download your unique Beta voucher code, which can be redeemed on PlayStation®Store.

Downloading right now...

At this Beta stage, the 6.00 update does not include any new major consumer-facing features

I was hoping to bring you all some great news regarding PS3 backwards compatibility and PSN name changes but it looks like we will have to wait a while longer.

File size was around 448mb.

Now installed and rebooted, PS4 is making noises like a budgie at the moment, seems to be chirping to me.

4 minutes ago, JapanimeGamer said:

At this Beta stage, the 6.00 update does not include any new major consumer-facing features

I was hoping to bring you all some great news regarding PS3 backwards compatibility and PSN name changes but it looks like we will have to wait a while longer.

File size was around 448mb.

Now installed and rebooted, PS4 is making noises like a budgie at the moment, seems to be chirping to me.

Is Sony considering backwards compatibility? As far as name change goes I wouldn't hold your breath for it.

I actually think name changes are very likely this time around, more so than backwards compatibility.

I would not change this name for anything, even just to test the feature out.

To be honest, I am not seeing anything new at this early stage, nothing is jumping out at me...

Theres gotta be something... I just cant see anything where I am looking

Edited by JapanimeGamer

I got an email from Sony for Beta 6.00, too, but said when it becomes available, you'll receive a notification on your PS4 with prompts to follow to activate it.

That being said, the two big things I think everyone wants are name changes (I personally don't) and backwards compatibility.

Also, I'd like the option to see when friends sign OFF like you can see when they sign ON. I don't need to see a friend sign on 5 times in a row within 5 minutes and be like, "Wait, he was just on a moment ago, when'd he sign out?"

8 minutes ago, Pirelli913 said:

Also, I'd like the option to see when friends sign OFF like you can see when they sign ON. I don't need to see a friend sign on 5 times in a row within 5 minutes and be like, "Wait, he was just on a moment ago, when'd he sign out?"

Then you'll see 10 pop-ups, 5 sign-ins and 5 sign-outs.No thanks

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Pirelli913 said:

I got an email from Sony for Beta 6.00, too, but said when it becomes available, you'll receive a notification on your PS4 with prompts to follow to activate it.

That being said, the two big things I think everyone wants are name changes (I personally don't) and backwards compatibility.

In my email there was a link to follow and this provided a code and how to use it.

I also do not want to see PSN name changes but I really think they are coming.

If you guys don't mind me asking... In a world where fully tested system updates have been known to brick peoples consoles, why do people line up for these even more potentially dangerous updates?

Not trying to be an ass or anything. I'm just genuinely interested in the thought process.

• Like 3

You know I totally forgot this beta was even a thing ?

Shame too as I wouldn't mind the chance to test this out as well but since it took quite a while for the europe sign up's to actually get activated I ended up just moving on to do other stuff ... oh well ?

Guess I'll be looking this up once in a while now to see if any interesting features or info gets revealed :P 

5 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

If you guys don't mind me asking... In a world where fully tested system updates have been known to brick peoples consoles, why do people line up for these even more potentially dangerous updates?

Not trying to be an ass or anything. I'm just genuinely interested in the thought process.

My console has got extended warranty with the shop I bought it from (GAME UK).

If I believed my console would 'brick' with an update produced by the company who designed the hard ware then I wouldnt touch it.

That said, I don't live underneath my table surrounded in tin foil and look to blame someone else every time something goes wrong, I get that shit happens, but you gotta live.

4 minutes ago, Dangisuckatgamin said:

So no new features? Sort of makes no sense to test out only stability ... especially to hype it. They do stability fixes every couple patches and we hardly see differences so what’s the point ? Or am I missing something.. lol

Not seen a thing, nothing at all...

I am sure there are more savvy people out there who have probably found something but all I can see is the icon in the top right hand corner of my screen that says '6.00 Beta 2' other than that I wouldnt have even known I had it.

Edited by JapanimeGamer

3 minutes ago, JapanimeGamer said:

If I believed my console would 'brick' with an update produced by the company who designed the hard ware then I wouldnt touch it.

It's happened. Sony has released multiple updates that bricked thousands of consoles.

4.70 saw a huge number of bricked consoles. 5.50 as well.

I remember a real nasty one on ps3 that affected thousands on it's own to the point where Sony had to release guides on booting safe mode which Sony kept a secret up until that point. Thank god that one was fixable through safe mode but that doesn't mean they all are lol.

14 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

It's happened. Sony has released multiple updates that bricked thousands of consoles.

4.70 saw a huge number of bricked consoles. 5.50 as well.

I remember a real nasty one on ps3 that affected thousands on it's own to the point where Sony had to release guides on booting safe mode which Sony kept a secret up until that point. Thank god that one was fixable through safe mode but that doesn't mean they all are lol.

If these Beta's were so bad I am not sure why some (the minority?) of consoles would 'brick' but not most? As they are all installing the same software, shouldn't they all be affected equally? If not, why not??

Not concerned in the slightest, nothing lasts forever and if it happens to break during testing then it don't automatically mean the testing broke it.

Just to throw some reverse spin at you, who is to say that me using the 6.00 beta does not make my console less likely to 'brick' as it now has added security and stability that your console does not have.

I mean... you don't know... you just don't ;)

Edited by JapanimeGamer
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, JapanimeGamer said:

If these Beta's were so bad I am not sure why some (the minority?) of consoles would 'brick' but not most? As they are all installing the same software, shouldn't they all be affected equally? If not, why not??

Not concerned in the slightest, nothing lasts forever and if it happens to break during testing then it don't automatically mean the testing broke it.

Those weren't betas. But everybody's database is going to be different based on usage. Seems all the issues are within the database and always pop up right after installing the updates. Sony has admitted fault on more than one of these occasions.

But to be fair, I just asked cause I'm curious about people mind sets and now I understand yours. Can't be scared of hypotheticals lol.