Spyro 2 and Year of the Dragon not on Reignited Trilogy disc

MidnightDragon

According to Twitter user Wario64, it looks like only the first Spyro game is on disc and you have to download Ripto's Rage and Year of the Dragon.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1024746859170951168

Surely all three games could fit on the disc? :hmm: I did check the official site and they do say you have to download the other two games. No matter, still excited about it. :)

Edited by Spyro

As someone who actually prefers digital to physical copies, this doesn't effect me so much. I'm still super pumped for this to come out, but for others who do like to collect the physical edition I could see this being a bit of a let down. I mean technology has come to the point where even if all three games are remastered, they should all be able to be fit on a single disc. At least we're getting it all so I'm happy.

• Like 1

https://www.gameinformer.com/2018/08/01/spyro-reignited-trilogy-requires-an-update-for-two-of-the-games

It's not stated anywhere that Spyro 2 and 3 aren't on the physical disk. It's all just speculation.

It could just be a patch. Most games nowadays require a day-one patch - even the Crash N-Sane trilogy had one for bug fixes and memory issues.

Edited by Empovyle
  • Like 2

As seen on GameInformer, it looks like the only game playable without the day-one patch will be Spyro 1. Spyro 2 and Spyro 3 will be playable only after the very first title update (whose weight in GB is actually unknown).

If that's it, I'm still going to buy it as a physical copy. Just...Maaaybe I'll rent it first.

Even worse is that this makes the game unavailable for players that purchase the game once the servers have gone down and the game is delisted. That basically means they cannot play it anymore, unless they game share with someone that does have it. :( 

• Like 1

How is this stopping resale value if the downloadable games are gonna be a patch.

Now that's not like its any better. I can tell Activision is rushing this collection out. They don't want it to look bad if they delayed it. The question here would be "Would Activision delay a Skylanders game?". They wouldn't, they're treating this release like a skylanders game in terms of how they can't delay it. Not to mention the release date is close to the september/october skylanders sweet spot. In fact iirc, a lot of the toys to life games have somewhat big patches you need to download on day 1.

Basically the game went gold already and Activision didn't want to delay a big game for kids and families because they feel it would look bad to them.

2 minutes ago, OobiGod said:

How is this stopping resale value if the downloadable games are gonna be a patch.

Now that's not like its any better. I can tell Activision is rushing this collection out. They don't want it to look bad if they delayed it. The question here would be "Would Activision delay a Skylanders game?". They wouldn't, they're treating this release like a skylanders game in terms of how they can't delay it. Not to mention the release date is close to the september/october skylanders sweet spot. In fact iirc, a lot of the toys to life games have somewhat big patches you need to download on day 1.

Basically the game went gold already and Activision didn't want to delay a big game for kids and families because they feel it would look bad to them.

They're just doing it for the sake of money. Fewer people reselling the game + more people will just get digital this way. That's all Activision cares about.

Wasn't Crash the same though?

I couldn't play Crash 2 and 3 immediately after putting the disc in, both times I played it. I deleted the application data after completing it, then when Future Tense was released I went to put it in and had to wait for ages before I could go into Warped, it just said "installing" or something. And it, of course, had to install 2 before 3...

EDIT: I went back into the game to see, but apparently that was different - it required you to install the 2nd and 3rd games, but it can do so without an actual download. My bad.

Still, I imagine they're not one-use downloads, rather just similar to an update. But it sucks for people with slower/limited internet connections. If you're buying a game that says it has the trilogy, you expect to get the full trilogy without any additional associated costs.

Edited by Kristycism
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Doesn't affect me at all. Digital is the future and people need to get with the times. This shouldn't be a deciding factor for anyone looking to purchase this. 

Digital may be the future, but there's still a big market for psychical games, and as long as that exists publishers shouldn't screw over that market.

3 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Doesn't affect me at all. Digital is the future and people need to get with the times. This shouldn't be a deciding factor for anyone looking to purchase this. 

Some of us prefer physical assets. 

This move smells. Activision have not done this to encourage buyers to "get with the times." It's probably a rush job with more work still to be done on 2 and 3 after the discs are printed.

There's so much fear-mongering going on in this thread. It's not clear what this "content download" will be for. It could just be for bug-fixes, which is a good thing because that means we don't have to suffer through bugs on day-one. It could also be for extra polish that Toys for Bob couldn't push in before the game went gold, which is likely because Toys for Bob have proven to be a very respectable company thus far into development.

It's very unlikely that you will have to download the entirety of the sequels in order to play them.

Please everyone just wait until this situation is clarified before bashing the game or cancelling your preorders.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Conker said:

really this is just bullshit, all 3 Crash games could be on disc,why can't all 3 Spyro games be on the disc?????...

Crash and Spyro aren't really comparable. Crash has level "themes" that it re-uses - which means lots of reused assets. There also aren't many cutscenes and there are no NPCs or NPC dialogue to record.

Spyro's levels are all entirely unique, apart from the first game which has a set theme per world (and even then with some exceptions). There is NPC dialogue, all entirely voiced, in every level in Spyro 2 and 3 as well as opening/exiting cutscenes for every level in Spyro 2.

On top of this, Crash games reused music in the "themes" for the levels. Every level in Spyro has unique music - and that amount of music is doubled in Reignited because they give you the option to use the classic soundtrack, something Crash didn't do either.

Spyro is a much more complex game in terms of assets and sound files and just the general size of each level. It probably should still be able to fit on one disc, but you can't just say it should because Crash did.

Activision's Response:

“The global launch date of Spyro Reignited Trilogy is Sept. 21; and we’re excited for fans to play all three reignited games on that day. As with most games today, downloading an update after purchase is quite common. The language on packaging and on the web is to let players know the requirements for Spyro Reignited Trilogy.”

Sounds like the day one patch is required to install or unlock the games, not that they're separate downloads.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Empovyle said:

There's so much fear-mongering going on in this thread. It's not clear what this "content download" will be for. It could just be for bug-fixes, which is a good thing because that means we don't have to suffer through bugs on day-one. It could also be for extra polish that Toys for Bob couldn't push in before the game went gold, which is likely because Toys for Bob have proven to be a very respectable company thus far into development.

It's very unlikely that you will have to download the entirety of the sequels in order to play them.

Please everyone just wait until this situation is clarified before bashing the game or cancelling your preorders.

It says on their website that Spyro 2 and 3 need to be downloaded.

1 minute ago, digitalman123 said:

Activision's Response:

“The global launch date of Spyro Reignited Trilogy is Sept. 21; and we’re excited for fans to play all three reignited games on that day. As with most games today, downloading an update after purchase is quite common. The language on packaging and on the web is to let players know the requirements for Spyro Reignited Trilogy.”

Sounds like the day one patch is required to install or unlock the games, not that they're separate downloads.

Either way, the problem is the same. One day, that patch wont be available and you'll be left with Spyro 1 and nothing else. Physical media is great because it's preservable and you always have it (apart from disc rot but that's really not a big issue anymore). By relegating Spyro 2 and 3 to a patch, you're taking away the biggest benefit of physical. It just feels like a ploy to push more people to fully digital so that companies can get complete control over your gaming purchases.