Spyro 2 and Year of the Dragon not on Reignited Trilogy disc

MidnightDragon

Just now, Martain2 said:

There is a big difference between a day one patch to fix bugs that have been found between the game going to the printers and release date and having to (possibly) download 66% of the advertised content in a physical edition.

Not really, but maybe it's a perspective thing. Regardless of if 50GB was on the disc or if 2/3 is digital, you still have 50GB installed on your PS4. Shouldn't matter how it gets there unless you're living on a remote island.

I can see it being an issue for people with really bad internet, but it really shouldn't affect many. Spyro is one of my favorite franchises, I think it's stupid to see people cancel preorders because it has a patch. I can't think of a game in the last 2 years that didn't have a day one patch or some type of installation online.

9 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

While I see where you are coming from, that's just a flawed idea. Movies are complete when they are printed on a disc, most games are just in working condition when they release. It doesn't matter what game you play nowadays. Almost every single title requires a day one patch or a patch at a later time. The physical copy is generally buggy as hell if you're not downloading it, let alone not being able to play online. I'd be more behind physical copies if they actually saved you space on your PS4, but you're simply downloading the game off the disc.

None of the physical games I've purchased in the few years have required Day 1 patches (apart from my WoFF Vita copy, which had a Day 1 patch for English voices)... and only a couple required bug-fixing patches (and only 1 of those bugs was game-breaking-- Atelier Shallie on PS3).

I don't think it's fair to say that bad timelines/time management or poor QC should force us toward patches and downloads.

Edited by eigen-space

I was going to pre-order the game, but after seeing this caveat, I won’t get my physical copy at launch. I’ll wait that people get the game and patch it so I have the clearance that we need to download Spyro 2 and 3 or not. Then I’ll get a used copy just to protest at the publisher.

Why didn’t I think about it?! It’s Activision afterall, no matter what game they publish, they will ALWAYS mess up and shove anti-consumer practices at us no matter what! Why didn’t I think for a second that there is always a “BUT” with all games stamped Activision on it? Remember Crash Bandicoot Trilogy with the Stormy Ascent DLC free for a limited time then paid (to get the max of lil cash they could)... then free for good a year later? Remember CoD:WWII requiring a patch to even play the campaign? Remember the disaster that was Modern Warfare Remastered with the so-called “exclusive” to IW Legacy Edition, then was infested by microtransactions, the DLC pack that wasn’t free and was sold 5$ more than the original price, and finally released stand-alone (no one saw that coming...) for 40$? Remember now the complete joke that is Black Ops 4 with no campaign but battle royale mode, split the community with a season pass (yes, in multiplayer games in 2018!), which is exclusive to expensive editions and it can’t be purchased separately, neither for individual DLCs?

If it turns out to be true, when the PS4 servers shut down, we’ll only have the first Spyro game on the disc. How hard is to preserve video games history?!

Never think that a game published by Activision will be released without a way to screw you over!

Edited by MaxieM0us3
  • Like 4

This does not affect my pre-order at all.  Heck, I'll just play Spyro and have the other 2 games downloading in the background.  Though I wont get to the second game until I finish the first game off.  But that's all just me not being bothered by this as such.

However, I do understand why people are annoyed, especially those without a proper internet connect, or just a really terrible one.  Yet, even saying that, we still can't assume too much right now until a real proper statement from them has been given about what the deal actually is.

Still makes me wonder why they can't go the Return to Arkham route and have each game on its own disc in the package.  Though that would defeat the purpose of them bringing in Stewart Copeland to make that new theme music for the trilogy if that were the case.

Why not release the game on multiple disks? Remember when games used to do that? If the game was too big to fit on the disk (or it’s a collection of games in one) there would be an extra disk with the other half of the game.

Edited by Crzy Minus

5 hours ago, GTA_Darren said:

This will not fuck pre-owned game sellers since it doesn't require code to download the other 2 games. This is just like those Season Pass disc from TellTale games.

Bought the Batman Telltale disc and when I got home and realized I basically bought a digital game that I could have gotten much cheaper if actually bought on the PS Store made me angry enough at Telltale that I haven't played a game of theirs since. What's the point of having the disc then?

Same with a GOTY disc that doesn't have the dlc in it, I should not be required to have an internet connection to enjoy the singleplayer games I pay for. ?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

Unless you have a source that says that, it's complete heresay

Isn't all of this really just presumptions right now? I only say that because of the way it's been worded as well.  It gets worded one way, then another, so really, I don't think anyone is sure as to what's going on with Spyro 2 and 3 right now, not unless we get a proper clear statement from Activision themselves, and no, not that one statement that they gave which didn't really answer the question.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Super-Fly Spider-Guy said:

I'd love if they did this for the eventual Switch version, include a code for 2 and 3 with 1 on cart... means I could rent it from the library, get 2 and 3 for free, and skip the least good entry in the series.

I believe a disc/cart would be still needed to play 2 and 3. It all takes one tiny file for each on the disc to check. They wouldn't be that stupid to just give away two games to everyone who borrows their copy.

Other than that... this is one of the most disgusting news I've heard this week, in gaming.

Just now, Lance_87 said:

This is not a proper answer though.

And a big fallacy to compare updates and full freaking games.

PlayStation 4 was always absolutely committed to the idea that if you put in the disc, you'll be able to play the game advertised on the cover, unpatched, fine, offline, fine. But this is now not the case.

1 hour ago, Dr_Shaneman said:

How people took a day 1 update and blew it out of proportions. Internet these days.

That's all it is. A day 1 patch. Not full game downloads.

That doesn't explain why Activision put "requires content download" on the front cover and the website for this game but not for their other games that have day one patches. For example, Call of Duty: WWII had similar text to Spyro on its cover and is only playable once you've downloaded the day one patch whereas Crash Bandicoot had no such text on its cover and is playable without downloading its day one patch.

Activision's response doesn't make a distinction between optional and required patches, it just states that patches are common. I agree that patches are common, but I disagree that required patches are common for single-player games. Even games that are borderline broken without the patches, like Homefront: the Revolution, don't require them to play.

1 minute ago, Dr_Shaneman said:

"Update" is what we all have to do when buying a new game. It didn't say anything about downloading the games.

I seriously think you guys are getting ahead of yourselves. Why would that stop you buying the game anyway? Modern gaming is all about patches/DLC anyway.

That update statement was a generalized statement in general, it doesn't mention "the spyro trilogy is all 3 games on disc, but needs an update to add content to the 2nd and 3rd games" plus the last sentence about the language of the packaging about the requirements contradicts the statement, when the package itself states that 2 and 3 have to be downloaded

3 minutes ago, Dr_Shaneman said:

You still own the disc right? Why can't you just accept what is. I'm honestly struggling with you people complaining here. We don't know anything for real so just be patient for real news before saying this and that and not buying and screw the game etc.

The better question is why can't YOU accept that people has legitimate concerns about this, and activision is to blame for this with the language on the package for the game. If you're struggling with it, you know you can leave the thread right?

14 minutes ago, Dr_Shaneman said:

Either way a day 1 patch is a day 1 patch. Crash Bandicoot had one.

No, a patch isn't a patch. A game being playable without ever downloading a patch isn't the same as a game not being playable unless you install the patch.

If you have Crash physically, try it for yourself. Delete the game from your PS4, disconnect your PS4 from the internet and then put the disc in. You'll be able to play the whole thing without ever downloading the patch. Try the same thing with Call of Duty: WWII and you won't be able to play anything.

• Like 2

9/10 times I always get physical copies because:

A ) I like to have physical copies rather then digital copies (don't know why though)

B ) It takes 3 times longer to download a game via digital downloading than on the disc because at times even if my in erne speed is good, it's pretty cap with downloading a large file (Like games)

So this is so disappointing as when I do get the game I will be waiting 3x more for it to download digitally than if I had it physically released... Great!???

Lets just hope this gets a reprint in a year with all the games on disc(with a new extra dlc level for spyro 1 and 3 ala the crash collection that was recently reprinted with the dlc levels on disc, if there is gonna be dlc levels(doubt it, but you never know).

Edited by jgm4789

1 hour ago, ZachBoardyHD said:

9/10 times I always get physical copies because:

A ) I like to have physical copies rather then digital copies (don't know why though)

B ) It takes 3 times longer to download a game via digital downloading than on the disc because at times even if my in erne speed is good, it's pretty cap with downloading a large file (Like games)

So this is so disappointing as when I do get the game I will be waiting 3x more for it to download digitally than if I had it physically released... Great!???

Same with me in general, especially for AAA titles and all them, just the download size on them I try and get physical if I can.  Like God of War as an example, would rather have had the physical because the size of the game is around 40GB, and that'll take too long for me to download.  But then again, other games like Lego Harry Potter, not so bad to download those ones.

6 hours ago, sepheroithisgod said:

And this is exactly why game developers need to incorporate microtransactions and season passes into games. Not a single penny GameStop makes off reselling that game is seen by a developer. It's no great mystery why game publishers want to push digital on people. 

With that said, I am not against physical copies or used copies, I just don't see the big deal with a day one patch. It's 2018, if you think day one patches are bad, wait til consoles just become streaming boxes.

gaming makes more money than the movie industry. like jim sterling says "they want all the money". plenty of games killed it and were profitable without mtx's and season passes. the only games were that shit is acceptable is games like fortnite and maybe rainbow six seige since they constantly add new stuff.

8 hours ago, fbdbh said:

I believe a disc/cart would be still needed to play 2 and 3. It all takes one tiny file for each on the disc to check. They wouldn't be that stupid to just give away two games to everyone who borrows their copy.

Off the top of my head, South Park Stick of Truth was given away with it's sequel as a download code. Just Cause 2 with Just Cause 3, Xbone, Dark Souls 1 with Dark Souls 3 Xbone, a couple Tom Clancy games, Alan Wake with Quantic Break, etc. 

I got Bayonetta 1 for free via code while renting Bayonetta 2 from the library, these and others are all one time use codes, first in best dressed.

They buy the physical games to rent them to people and as far as included DLC codes go, full games or otherwise, first person who activates it gets something for free basically. I've literally been told by the people there if I don't use it, someone else will anyway so I may as well.

I'm not complaining about free stuff.