Classic Mode Help

Midnightwards666

Hello,

This thread is dedicated to help, tips and questions about Classic Mode in Qbert Rebooted. As someone who has never played Qbert before, this trophy has been extremely hard for me. I have beaten many hard games and never once failed... my previous hardest were Retro/Grade, Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed and Bionic Commando Rearmed... but none of them had any trophies as challenging as this one - Qbert Rebooted has taken the new lead. That said, I did get very close to beating it (and should've) just a moment ago, reaching the last round of level 5 with 2 lives but unfortunately the board got messed up beyond repair. Here are a few tips I can share:

• This mode is extremely difficult. Play Rebooted mode first for learning the game.
  • If there are no nearby disks and you have to escape Coily, one square ahead of him is actually a very good spot. Although this seems too close, you will be able to predict all his moves. You are faster than him anyway. Be aware of your surroundings though.
  • The bottom row can often lead to being trapped, and is often not the greatest place to stay while avoiding enemies... the two corners at the bottom are especially dangerous. Try to go there only if necessary or if the board isn't too crowded. I quite like to finish this area if I collect a green ball and freeze all enemies.
  • Don't be too greedy - this will lead to you missing nearby dangers. This includes clearing the board, collecting freeze balls and destroying Sam. While these things are all great when you get the chance, be careful and think dodge at all times. Although Sam is infuriating, he jumps in a line which can often be retraced. 
  • Know what enemies spawn on what levels, because this affects which squares are safe and which aren't.
  • The second row is where Coily and the red balls spawn - this makes them very dangerous rows as they're highly likely to land on your head. However, there is a way to predict them: when a red ball reaches the 4th row, that's usually when another spawns. Sometimes it's a good idea just to wait on the third row and go after one spawns.
  • If a red ball is two squares above you, it will fall down one square, so you should avoid jumping up one square. It is possible to get away if you're fast enough with your timing and you might even get lucky (50% chance), but it's dangerous.
  • Ugg's pattern is random. He always spawns at the bottom corner, and moves either up or right. His friend, Wrong-way, is the same, but his movements are either up or left. I may have got the two characters the wrong way round, but you should be able to understand.
  • The top row is often a safespot. No balls spawn there and Ugg is unlikely to reach you... but don't stay there too long, otherwise you'll make no progress in the level and Coily will quickly catch up.
  • In levels where no balls spawn, you can play Chase with Coily for a very long time. Just keep moving jumping the top square, 2 2nd row squares and centre 3rd row - he'll never catch up... and maybe you'll get a green freeze ball. Ugg rarely climbs this high, although you should be careful.
  • If a red ball is one square above you, you can either jump down or jump to its side. Jumping to the side is often the safer option - it eliminates the danger and going further down can often lead to traps, as said above.
  • Be gentle with your controller - your character is very sensitive and you don't even have to move the stick much to get a response... however, they're very precise and often if pointing too far your character will not respond to your commands. Luckily the controls here are much easier than in Rebooted mode.
  • Try to understand and learn from your deaths as much as possible.

Post if you have any more questions or anything else to add.

Edited by Midnightwards666
  • Like 2