This game just doesn't acknowledge females

fbdbh

10 minutes ago, angelgrievous said:

I'm gonna leave this post here, it's just my thoughts: 

Was this thread posted in good faith?  Yeah, I think so.  I don't think it's silly or weird or wrong even, to want to be represented in something you love and enjoy.  Every time I play a game I find myself becoming the character I'm playing.  I guess I role play in every game I play, except for the ones where the main protagonist is female.  It's not weird or wrong or sexist, I just find it easier fitting myself into a male character than into a female character.  This is most likely due to the fact that I am a male.  

I don't think it's a wrong that women want the same thing in return.  Or LGBTQ, or people of color, or Native Americans, or anyone else.  The ability to fit yourself into a character you play is one of the reasons I suspect a lot of people play games.  It's escapism at its finest.  I think representation in games for all people is an important thing that shouldn't be brushed aside.

That being said

I also think things can get a little carried away at times.  Colin Moriarty from IGN and Kinda Funny, respectfully, was cast out to the heathens and scum because he posted a silly joke on Twitter.  People are being harassed for giving feedback on a game to a developer, who happens to be a woman, and is cast out as a sexist and manspainer.  Threads here are blowing up and people can't understand why someone would have an issue with this.  Is it silly?  To you?  Yeah, probably.  To them?  Obviously not, they made a thread. Not everything is meant as you might take it.  Context is everything.  No more jumping off the gun without figuring shit out.  

So when my little sister plays a game and wants to fit into a character, it's not surprising that Tomb Raider is her favorite.  It's just easier when it's "you" on the screen.  Know what I mean?  

I have to disagree. As a male, I have been just as fully immersed playing Lara Croft in Tomb Raider as I did playing Deslin in Infamous, I really have never experienced liking a game more or less because I "see myself" in a character, and I don't think a game developer should feel compelled to create characters that you can see yourself in. If they have a vision of a particular character with a pre-determined set of lines, than that is their vision.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, RunItsAShark said:

I have to disagree. As a male, I have been just as fully immersed playing Lara Croft in Tomb Raider as I did playing Deslin in Infamous, I really have never experienced liking a game more or less because I "see myself" in a character, and I don't think a game developer should feel compelled to create characters that you can see yourself in. If they have a vision of a particular character with a pre-determined set of lines, than that is their vision.

I'm sorry.  I think you misunderstood what I was implying.  I absolutely love the Tomb Raider games.  I have the platinum trophy for Horizon: Zero Dawn, and I'll never turn down a game based on the sex of the main protagonist.  

What I was trying to imply is that when I play games like Tomb Raider or Horizon, I play the game as though I'm watching Lara or Aloy live out their journey, it completely engrosses me when the story is told well, and I find my self enjoying these games more, because I can take myself out of it. 

When I play a game that has a male main protagonist, I can't help but fit myself into that role and become the character.  I enjoy playing games this way as well.  I think a lot of people do this to some degree or another and it's easier to do when the character is "like you".  

Edit*  I don't think creators should tailor their games to fit a narrative as well. 

Edited by angelgrievous

Just now, RunItsAShark said:

This is two problems really.

First, there are clearly people who prefer playing same gender, and some who don't have problem playing the opposite. But that's not really worth arguing about, because that's preference, and preference shouldn't indeed dictate design. Prefrence is just there, you can't do anything about that. Compelling and pandering is never a solution.

The second problem, the thing I'm complaining about is... does the world around the fictional character acknowledge that particular fictional character? If not... that's just lazy design. Bad writing. Bad quality. Maybe my original post isn't really indicative of that, and I overreacted. But I say this: even though developers shouldn't be compelled to create characters that you can see yourself in, they're expected to create a game consistent with itself. Otherwise, the experience can be jarring depending on your... tolerance threshold, or whatever, which is again a case of preference, but still. If I create a character to my liking, other NPCs... well if they don't acknowledge it, fine, but they shouldn't be so upfront in denying it, either.

I'm having a hard time telling if this is for real or a parody of some sort, but that's the times we live in xD 

"Dude" and "guys" is a term commonly used towards both males and females in the United States, including when one female is talking to another 

This is a skating game, so kick back and have some fun, and don't let posts from washed up Polygon bloggers throw you into hysteria mode over silly stuff like this :P 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, fbdbh said:

What the hell is with this game?

My character is female, and I'm constantly bombarded with comments like "dude", "bro", "man", "ouch the nuts!"... really? And ALL the preset skaters are male. This is beyond ridiculous. 

Am I the only one bothered by this?

No.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Captain Mahvel said:

What's wrong with being an "SJW"? Do you not fucking care about equality and the LGBTQIA+ community? Sometimes, I'm appalled by the responses I see in threads on PSNProfiles. It seems to me that many members of PSNProfiles do not understand how the patriarchy and heteronormativity are marginalizing people of color and women by not acknowledging that representation of diversity in media IS, in fact, a WONDERFUL thing. I can't wait until social justice activists win this battle and oust all of the homophobes, fascists, and racists that have been dominating the gaming industry for decades. 

In what year do you live? What battle are you even talking about? You are the prime example on why this ideoloy is awful even though the actual purpose might be good. Seriously, leave us alone with your negative thinking and your weird "I wanna go to war" attitude!

Edit: Just realized it was troll post ?. However, since so many people came to this thread, do yourself a favor and play Skate 3! This game is fantastic and one of the best games for the PS3. 

Edited by Gommes_

11 hours ago, XX_FTW said:

Oh boy... just... stop. Your attempts at jokes are revealing your complete lack of understanding.

Gender and sexuality are complete different. Being trans does not equate gay and being cis does not equate straight. Secondly, transsexuals and transvestites are completely different things. All of your attempt at humor aside, to the OP’s point, I’m pretty sure pronouns weren’t invented within the last 8 years. The distinct between male and female pronouns is still a valid criticism, even if it’s not something you are bothered by.

Never said any of this. It's only your interpretation of it.

I also did not claim that pronouns was invented within the last 8 years.

I claimed or made the argument that times Was different 8 years ago, pretty solid statement as there have been some major things happening the last 8 years.

I think this quote is bait, actually I don't know as I have no clue what you are going for.

• Like 1

I'll say that in this day and age, you see something from 10 years ago and say "they'll never do that again". Like in the Ultimate Alliance games, Nick Fury is a white guy and now he'll probably always be black because they made him black in the mainstream Avengers movies. Now they're changing Dr. Who to a woman with a black assistant and they want Idris Elba to be James Bond, they made a Ghostbusters movie where all the main characters are women. So many things done to franchises that people have loved for years just because SJWs are selfish and hate white people for no reason. At least when Martin Luther King was an activist, he wanted everyone to get along, but SJWs want to divide white people from minorities and whenever a white person says anything they immediately want to shut them down just for being white. There are two things that will kill gaming for me and they will be the shutdown of PSN on the PS3 console and SJW ideals taking over games. Go and complain to EA about this game, maybe then they'll fully shut the servers just to cater to the bitching SJWs. 

Edited by Sergen
  • Like 3

@Sergen I say the same thing for characters that are black or Asian or whatever, if they were created that way, they shouldn't be changed. Like it would be stupid imo to have a white John Stewert (black green lantern) or a male Wonder Woman and it's like no one understands that. 

Thats why comic book fans hate when you change their characters for political correctness lol because that's not their characters. 

The only time I liked it recently was nick fury bc Samuel Jackson is one of my favorite actors xD 

Edited by The High Ground
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Sergen said:

they made him black in the mainstream Avengers movies.

Actually the black Nick Fury was introduced in the comics as the Ultimate version... and yeah it was already based on Samuel L. Jackson at that time lol.

Edited by Lance_87
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, The High Ground said:

@Sergen I say the same thing for characters that are black or Asian or whatever, if they were created that way, they shouldn't be changed. Like it would be stupid imo to have a white John Stewert (black green lantern) or a male Wonder Woman and it's like no one understands that. 

Thats why comic book fans hate when you change their characters for political correctness lol because that's not their characters. 

The only time I liked it recently was nick fury bc Samuel Jackson is one of my favorite actors xD 

I'm not complaining that they made Samuel L. Jackson into Nick Fury, but they changed that and they'll never have a white one again. The thing is, they're trying to appeal to a mass market with products, which means they also have to reach the SJW market but when they do that, they often alienate original fans. It is Sony who has a lot of SJW catering films recently with the Ghostbusters movie for instance. But I will say that the whole re-writing of characters outside of the original source material has been targeted more at eliminating white males from the media, you will never see them have a white Luke Cage, but they will probably end up having a black Iron Man some day. I didn't think someone's thread would get me to rant about SJWs on here but there are plenty of people who are SJWs about minor shit on here. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, SnowxSakura said:

You need to separate fiction from reality, otherwise you're going to end up like this south korean guy marrying his waifu body pillow.

Going to run down the street screaming "She's real to me!!!!!"

u leave my waifu out of this ;) 

damn EA mis-gendering people in a an old game they should have known what was in store in the future. :facepalm:

25 minutes ago, FFHannibal said:

More people complaining about SJWs in here than actual SJWs. Makes me wonder who the real 'boohoo I'm offended ?' people are... 

Pretty much how it goes. The ones who complain about SJWs making up stuff to be offended by quite often have to make up stuff to be offended by. Like this gem right here.

43 minutes ago, ZireaelSan said:

This is such a silly thread, next time you know when you argue someone on the forum you are verbally harassing him/her.

lol Serously, who here said ANYTHING about being verbally harrassed?

43 minutes ago, Leenewbe said:

damn EA mis-gendering people in a an old game they should have known what was in store in the future. :facepalm:

I know right? People other than males playing video games back in 2010? Whoulda thunk?

Edited by RedRodriguez87

2 hours ago, FFHannibal said:

More people complaining about SJWs in here than actual SJWs. Makes me wonder who the real 'boohoo I'm offended 1f62d.png' people are... 

Lol great point here but, the people wouldn't have the sjws to complain about if they didn't complain in the first place, it's really a circle of constant complaining isn't it lol ?

2 hours ago, RedRodriguez87 said:

Pretty much how it goes. The ones who complain about SJWs making up stuff to be offended by quite often have to make up stuff to to be offended by. 

Hmm not so much my friend, a lot of the stuff that Sergen stated really does happen and people should rightfully be mad for example the thing where people can be fined or jailed for mis gendering someone lol

like in California or Canada that's just silly. 

Fines up to $1000 and up to a year in prison if I'm not mistaken. 

oh that reminds me of a side story

they banned plastic straws there recently too :o haha 

2 hours ago, RedRodriguez87 said:

Lol Serously, who here said ANYTHING about being verbally harrassed?

Yeah umm what's that guy talking about lol? Who here is being verbally abused ahahah what :o 

also Mr Rodriguez how are you today? ?

Edited by The High Ground