cat knocked over my ps4.

RJP_X

i have it on the lower part of my entertainment center sitting on top of a stand up thing of a sort so it can ventilate better. i'd say its about 3 inches high, underneath that i have a cloth, my concern is the ps4 slid and hit on its front side onto the side of the entertainment center. so it as well as its stand was leaning when it hit.

so it didn't take a fall from a high place, but i wanted to know how durable ps4's might be. i use to always have my ps3 in the same set up without issues so i'm just feeling concerned. i turned it on for a few minutes and it seemed fine, everything was how it was when i had it in rest mode. i'm worried about the disc drive and everything else though, or if something will end up giving out in the future. :c

thanks for your time, i'm kind of in panic mode right now. 

Never a good thing, but it seems like if it was good when you started it up briefly you should be fine. Crazy thing is I have about 5 ps4s and there is one that I solely designated to my "backpack," meaning its the one I take to my friends houses or on vacation or where ever … it has seen its fair share of wear and tear and never had a problem.

• Like 1

i wish i knew how to take a picture and post up the set up, but during the day i'm going to see if i can think of another set up for it. the top part of my entertainment center is very enclosed so not suitable for putting a game system in, while the bottom is big and open. so i have it in that big and open area on top of a stand that has like these opening gratings on it so it gets better air flow, rather than on top of a flat type of stand. its hard to explain without pictures.

my long time best friend cat had to be put to sleep at the end of april and we got a new kitten and hes very wild.

i thank you all for the replies. 

40 minutes ago, Squirlruler said:

See if you can insert/eject disks. If so, your are probably in the clear. It turning on and not having messed up the rest mode is a great sign. I would just watch it for the next few days, but it sounds like it will be fine.

disc inserted and ejected normally. thankfully i didn't have a disc in the system when it happened.

29 minutes ago, gamesfourever said:

@RJP_X You're a wolf demon. Gotta show some dominance to an inferior cat. Did Kagome's cat soften you up?

this made my day. xD although in my world cats reign dominion. :'c now i understand why the little punk kept rubbing his head into mine over and over affectionately while i was sleeping, probably cause he knew what he did and i try to keep him away from certain areas of my room, like.. especially where the ps4 is. >:c 

• Like 2

My Cat once knocked over my Nintendo Switch and it still worked fine. Im sure your ps4 is alright too. But be more careful. Cats are very curious animals.

15 minutes ago, Spyro said:

My cat used to sit on my PS4 a lot. Now I've made it harder for her to get to it. She still tries to sit on my mini SNES and PS3, though.

Still, it sounds like it's fine, but keep an eye on it. Something may not show up right away.

Your cat sounds adorable.

1 hour ago, RJP_X said:

i wish i knew how to take a picture and post up the set up, but during the day i'm going to see if i can think of another set up for it. the top part of my entertainment center is very enclosed so not suitable for putting a game system in, while the bottom is big and open. so i have it in that big and open area on top of a stand that has like these opening gratings on it so it gets better air flow, rather than on top of a flat type of stand. its hard to explain without pictures.

my long time best friend cat had to be put to sleep at the end of april and we got a new kitten and hes very wild.

i thank you all for the replies. 

Use imgur or something like that.

You should be fine. Just listen for unusual noises or something like that when you play for the next week or so. You may also might try a few discs to make sure the ejection still works and the disc reader is fine. Those would be the main concerns.

7 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Use imgur or something like that.

You should be fine. Just listen for unusual noises or something like that when you play for the next week or so. You may also might try a few discs to make sure the ejection still works and the disc reader is fine. Those would be the main concerns.

https://imgur.com/a/9w1moC8

does this work? if the photo shows the front side of the ps4 is where the USB for the controller is sticking out and it hit the wood right next to it on the entertainment set.

48 minutes ago, RJP_X said:

https://imgur.com/a/9w1moC8

does this work? if the photo shows the front side of the ps4 is where the USB for the controller is sticking out and it hit the wood right next to it on the entertainment set.

It's a little hard to see because it's a bit dark by the PS4, but did it fall from where grey box is sitting? 

I don't see anything from the picture that sticks out of the ordinary though. 

After my ps4 dropped down 12 flights of stairs, the hard drive stopped functioning, I could still play games I had on there but downloading anything else was a no go (Try downloading something you have digitally to check) and the disc drive wasn't loading any games at all. I just opened the ps4 (The warranty was long gone) up and ordered spare parts from ebay and fixed it myself. 

42 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

It's a little hard to see because it's a bit dark by the PS4, but did it fall from where grey box is sitting? 

I don't see anything from the picture that sticks out of the ordinary though. 

nope, not that far. it fell inside the center, it basically slid off its stand and hit the wood of the center. didn't fall out of it though.

not sure if this is a good idea but i took the box of the ps4 and put it where the stand was, now the ps4 is on that, with 4 erasers at each end of the ps4 to boost it up slightly to give it some circulation. don't think it will fall nearly as easy now.

16 minutes ago, danielc655 said:

After my ps4 dropped down 12 flights of stairs, the hard drive stopped functioning, I could still play games I had on there but downloading anything else was a no go (Try downloading something you have digitally to check) and the disc drive wasn't loading any games at all. I just opened the ps4 (The warranty was long gone) up and ordered spare parts from ebay and fixed it myself. 

hm, i'll try d/ling my name is mayo real quick since its a short file size to test that out. 

My dog ran through the controller wire of my PS4, which jerked the console off the table and made it crash down on its side (a fall of maybe 20 inches).

This was in Sep or Oct 2017 and it's still going strong. One of the controller ports doesn't work but I can live without those even if both went.

The dog wasn't so lucky. Got hit by a train in December.

1 hour ago, JPageMartin36 said:

My dog ran through the controller wire of my PS4, which jerked the console off the table and made it crash down on its side (a fall of maybe 20 inches).

This was in Sep or Oct 2017 and it's still going strong. One of the controller ports doesn't work but I can live without those even if both went.

The dog wasn't so lucky. Got hit by a train in December.

aw, i'm sorry to hear that. its devastating losing a pet companion. it was really rough for me having to put my cat lulu to sleep late april, she had been struggling with cancer and i've been practically depressed all year, much worst after it and it still pains me. she was my best friend as i'm not very fond of people much. i'm glad everyone in this discussion has been nice about this situation. sometimes i get nervous to post on the internet because you never know if you get some mean responses. but i felt i had to create this topic so i can get some answers.

1 hour ago, Khlamindas said:

@RJP_X i hope your ps4 still good and whats your cats name?

@JPageMartin36Whats your dogs name?

his name is.... Simba. >.< hes a little over 3 months old i believe. we have a Persian cat in the house too, and his name is... Garfield. again. ;>.<(not my name choices btw, the following was however.) Lulu who had to get put to sleep back in late april, her name came from the FFX character, because that character wore all black and she was an all black cat. loved her a lot, very affectionate and loving cat, only to me. its sad without her.

PS4's are surprisingly durable. Mine sits vertically and I pulled the controller too hard and it fell a few feet unto carpet, banged against my wall, and pulled all the plugs out. The plastic casing came off but I just snapped it back on and it's still working fine, although I was super worried that it would suddenly stop working.

As for the cat, I think they make some type of sour spray you can spray around your entertainment center. I don't know if that just stops animals from chewing wires or if it would stop them from pushing things.