Rarity % psnprofiles.com vs PSN

Hi to all,

So I’m sure everyone’s noticed the discrepancy between what’s listed on this site vs what’s on PSN itself.  I’m not privy to what’s what around here, but I’m guessing it’s just because the % here only takes into account the “pool of members on this site” vs “everyone who’s got an active game on PSN”, correct?  

If that’s the case, I’m wondering why it isn’t consistent?  This site can obviously pull trophy data right from PSN, so why not just use the same % values?

It’s confusing.  For example, I just Platinum’d Bloodborne last night and my account showed a 5.6% Very Rare value to it, but here it’s like 22.67% which is a huge difference.  

Thanks for any info, and apologies if this has already been explained somewhere!

This site bases the rarity of the people that are registered here (minus profiles removed for cheating), while PSN takes everyone into consideration.

If you hover over the percentage (or on mobile, double tap), you can see the PSN rarity.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, SunnyCrappyYT said:

This site bases the rarity of the people that are registered here (minus profiles removed for cheating), while PSN takes everyone into consideration.

If you hover over the percentage (or on mobile, double tap), you can see the PSN rarity.

On the same line as the question, are the two rarities supposed to be similar with PSNP rarity having disqualified cheaters or are they designed to be completely different? (ie PSNP rarity only takes into account trophy hunters and PSN takes everybody)

10 minutes ago, B1rvine said:

You can pick the option in your settings somewhere to show either Sony’s rarity or PSNProfiles.  

Some people prefer to show PSNP rarity because that more actively reflects the rarity among those who are actively trying to earn them.  

Think of it this way: your favorite sports team players statistics aren’t going to compare them against everyone who’s ever picked up a football, hit a baseball, or kicked a soccer ball, when pulling data amongst how many competitors they’ve had, but rather professional players only.

The thing is, anyone can add any person to this website without their input, at least I know on PSNTL that they only allow a profile to be added if it has more than 100 trophies or 1 platinum to be tracked there, otherwise the person has to manually sign up to be tracked. But PSNP is still more accurate than PSN in regards to rarity tracking, it'll never be fully accurate though. People who are flagged for 3 games are disqualified from being tracked on every game even if they did them legit, but Sony does nothing to remove cheaters either and also doesn't show you who has earned specific trophies and PS+ games are for the most part going to become 0.1% if they take any effort to platinum. I see some people use Sony's rarity as a way to make themselves feel special about the games they do, because they can say "only 0.1% of people got this trophy" instead of something like "only 3% of people got the trophy", but I never take anyone seriously who acts like that. 

1 hour ago, SunnyCrappyYT said:

Hahahaha. I think you mean that it registers the people here....plus the people removed for cheating.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KaKrackle said:

Hahahaha. I think you mean that it registers the people here....plus the people removed for cheating.

I'm not entirely sure if the site actually auto adds anyone, at least not anymore and I don't think has in a very long time. Else I can promise you the members would have been several times as many.

Even if you don't add yourself, someone else may do so.

The rarity on PSN doesn’t mean crap to me. 

I have plenty of trophies that are a 0.1 percent on PSN, that just means most people don’t have it, when you look at all players who have the game. 

A lot of people also don’t bother in buying DLC, so it’s actually pretty common to see trophies that are a 0.1 percent. Doesn’t mean they’re hard, long or are very tedious.

I think PSNP's is valuable in some instances and Sony's is valuable in others. Like in a game with a low amount of players overall, PSNP rarity might be more achieved for a genuinely hard game and give a false impression to someone checking out a list. But an easy game might have a lack of achievers with Sony's due to it tracking everything. I think it's good to use both when looking at rarity, gives better context for why a trophy might or might not be rare

• Like 2

12 hours ago, MMDE said:

I'm not entirely sure if the site actually auto adds anyone, at least not anymore and I don't think has in a very long time. Else I can promise you the members would have been several times as many.

Even if you don't add yourself, someone else may do so.

I’m talking about the cheaters that psnp removes, but still counts their illegitimate completion towards the 100% achievers leaderboard....thus lowering the rarity of trophies  some people worked very hard to obtain. 

4 hours ago, Burgins said:

I think PSNP's is valuable in some instances and Sony's is valuable in others. Like in a game with a low amount of players overall, PSNP rarity might be more achieved for a genuinely hard game and give a false impression to someone checking out a list. But an easy game might have a lack of achievers with Sony's due to it tracking everything. I think it's good to use both when looking at rarity, gives better context for why a trophy might or might not be rare

The problem with this is that PSNP also track a shit ton of cheaters. :P So you'll get the same problem.

PSNP's trophy percentage is also calculated. Theres a thread somewere but i forgot what its called or where to find it. It describes the calculation and such. But even now its not 100% accurate. but still better than the older method.

3 hours ago, gamesfourever said:

PSNP's trophy percentage is also calculated. Theres a thread somewere but i forgot what its called or where to find it. It describes the calculation and such. But even now its not 100% accurate. but still better than the older method.

It sounds like you're talking about how the DLC trophy rarities are calculated.  Base game trophies are supposed to just be a straight achievers/owners calculation.

And I guess this is probably the thread you're thinking of:

9 minutes ago, dmland12 said:

It sounds like you're talking about how the DLC trophy rarities are calculated.  Base game trophies are supposed to just be a straight achievers/owners calculation.

And I guess this is probably the thread you're thinking of:

Nope. not that thread. I actually started that thread myself ?(because of Let it Die). But that thread does include the link to the thread i ment. I completely forgot that yhe calculation was for DLC only. Its been a while.

12 hours ago, nyonmyan said:

On the contrary, I don't see the point in official PSN rarity. They have so many ultra rare trophies that it completely devalues the rarity.

I don't fully agree with this.  I think the rarity over the whole of PSN still has value.  The thing to keep in mind though is that this is a site for trophy hunters, so that tends to skew the numbers, especially when you consider that for the majority of accounts here the membership is self selected.  

The way I see it, your PSN rarity is an indication of how rare a trophy you have is among all owners of that game.  The PSN Profiles rarity is an indication how rare a trophy you have is among trophy hunting enthusiasts.

Both are measurements of rarity among two different populaces.  One is the general audience.  The other is the hard core audience.

Edited by LordBilbanes
  • Like 1

The rarity on PSN is the rarity.

The rarity on PSNP is the wierd psuedorarity-value that has sprung up as a result of people trying to use ‘rarity’ as a measure of ‘difficulty’.

The value is semi-useful as a measure of difficulty / length of grinding required, but less useful as an actual measure of rarity. 

I don’t really fault PSNP for this though - all the tracking sites have some version of this stat, and they are all as inaccurate as actual indicators of rarity as eachother. The values are interesting in comparion to eachother, and with some background knowledge of the specific game in question - just not as a measure of the thing they purport to represent!

• Like 2

This might flutter a few feathers but it is my opinion on the 2 lists in question.

1. PSN list is the most accurate list available because it covers every single PSN account that exists. It covers everyone ranging from the casual gamer who don't care about trophies right up to the more 'serious' gamer. The rarity percentages on this list are the most complete.

2. PSNP list is only accurate for those people who have registered or are being tracked on this website and this is a massively smaller number and there fore a massively inaccurate list in general.

For example: Being ranked in the top 100 on the PSNP list does not mean you are really ranked in the top 100, not at all.

Enjoy games for what they are. Ignore the largely inaccurate numbers and do not let them govern what you play as you will likely miss out on so many great games if you do. If you are serious about the lists and rankings then don't forget to take a large pinch of salt with them.

Edited by JapanimeGamer
  • Like 1

I never look at PSN rarity, it means next to nothing. Here is why:

I have 87 games on my profile. Here is a comparison of platinum rarity on PSN and PSNP

PSN

Ultra Rare = 83

Very Rare = 3

Rare = 1

Uncommon = 0

PSNP

Ultra Rare = 28

Very Rare = 24

Rare = 24

Uncommon = 11

Pretty much everything on my profile on PSN is Ultra Rare so it becomes meaningless. Six of my games have a rarity of 0.1

That brings me onto another reason I don't look at PSN stats. Everything is rounded to one decimal place, whereas PSNP is two decimal places.

As rarity is already extremely low on PSN they should at least have it to two decimal places.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FawltyPowers said:

Pretty much everything on my profile on PSN is Ultra Rare so it becomes meaningless.

More correctly, pretty much any platinum on your profile on PSN is Ultra Rare. Which makes sense, since very small percentage of all PlayStation gamers go for a platinum in games anyway, and that’s more common thing for trophy hunting enthusiasts on dedicated sites like PSNP.

• Like 1