PS3 Emulator (RPCS3)

srikir

If we played a game on a PS3 emulator (namely RPCS3) and unlocked trophies, how could we move the trophy data from the emulator to the PS3/something capable of transmitting trophy data to PSN to sync? Does Sony and/or PSNP allow this? Would our trophy data have the timestamps of when we earned them on the emulator or when they synced to PSN?

Isn’t emulating just pirating games? And why emulate something that’s so readily available and relatively cheap? I feel like it’s more of a hassle than buying a PS3 off ebay for like 90$ and hooking it up to a TV, but what do I know.

If you care about following Sony’s and our rules, don’t emulate PS3 games.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, NetEntity said:

I wonder, is it okay to do something pretty universally equated to piracy, and then use the data gathered from said activity to make it look like I've played on a legitimate console, even if I might not even own one? I guess I go ask on a site where fiddling with one's account in such a way is a flaggable offence, it should be fine.

-makes thread-

(I'm sorry, it's just that everything here crosses the line multiple times, and I find it too hilarious to just stay quiet)

To my knowledge and understanding, emulating is allowed as long as the code meets certain requirements. Dolphin for the Wii is an example of this because it emulates the Wii and can run multiple games, and Nintendo never sued it. I don't think it'd be cheating, cause you'd still need to run the game on a console that can connect to PSN to be able to sync trophies, and getting pirated games would prevent you from doing so. RPCS3's website makes it clear that you need to dump your own games.

Edited by srikir

7 minutes ago, srikir said:

To my knowledge and understanding, emulating is allowed as long as the code meets certain requirements. Dolphin for the Wii is an example of this because it emulates the Wii and can run multiple games, and Nintendo never sued it. I don't think it'd be piracy, cause you'd still need to run the game on a console that can connect to PSN to be able to sync trophies, and getting pirated games would prevent you from doing so.

Nintendo is notorious for condemning emulation, actually. The fact that they haven't sued Dolphin doesn't mean much. They haven't sued Citra either.

And even if you'll use a real machine and a real copy to sync your data, the data will still count as an outside source (one that might even need a format conversion to even be detected), and therefore, flaggable. Not to mention that if you have a real game and a real console in the first place, jumping through the emulator hoop is kinda unnecessary.

Edited by NetEntity

1 minute ago, NetEntity said:

Not to mention that if you have a real game and a real console in the first place, jumping through the emulator hoop is kinda unnecessary.

The reason I ask is because I'd love to play games on my laptop when traveling, but I'd prefer not to get a Vita (at least for now).

1 minute ago, AlchemistWer said:

No, actually emulator are not ilegal or piracy. 

Yeah, it's a technical tool most and foremost. It's just that it can be used for running both legit copies / dumps of said copies that you can make yourself as a means of backup, or a copy you pirate for free - and that last bit is what gets companies in a twist and is illegal.

Even the fact of dumping games is a problem for some. Archival and preservation don't matter to them. Even if the game is no longer sold or is an abandonware, it's still an issue. 

26 minutes ago, Intresseklubben said:

Isn’t emulating just pirating games?

You could always use original discs with emulators, i.e. PS1 and PS2.

Maybe you want to emulate because your CRT is borked or want to play in a smaller screen or crap like that lol.

Just now, NetEntity said:

Yeah, it's a technical tool most and foremost. It's just that it can be used for running both legit copies / dumps of said copies that you can make yourself as a means of backup, or a copy you pirate for free - and that last bit is what gets companies in a twist and is illegal.

Even the fact of dumping games is a problem for some. Archival and preservation don't matter to them. Even if the game is no longer sold or is an abandonware, it's still an issue. 

Exactly! excellent explanation. :) 

12 minutes ago, NetEntity said:

Nintendo is notorious for condemning emulation, actually. The fact that they haven't sued Dolphin doesn't mean much. They haven't sued Citra either.

And even if you'll use a real machine and a real copy to sync your data, the data will still count as an outside source (one that might even need a format conversion to even be detected), and therefore, flaggable. Not to mention that if you have a real game and a real console in the first place, jumping through the emulator hoop is kinda unnecessary.

Nintendo doesn't sue emulators they only sue roms believing they could stop them. Recently they stopped two sites, and another one removed all Nintendo roms because they were scared. But the world didn't refuse to change (lol)

Edited by Lance_87

5 minutes ago, Lance_87 said:

Nintendo doesn't sue emulators they only sue roms believing they could stop them. Recently they stopped two sites, and another one removed all Nintendo roms because they were scared.

Ah, I see. Well, that's why Citra stresses "please, please, use your own dumps".

Shutting down ROM archives... that's cute.

Edited by NetEntity

Kinda hard to say if it's flaggable or not. If it's your personal save and trophies, there's no problem there. The gray area here is if it's considered an outside source. An emulator makes so that it is running the console it was made for. So for all intended purposes, you are playing on PS3 architecture, but also not. There's no problem transferring your personal saves to another PS3 as long as the trophy data doesn't get manipulated in any way. Does RPCS3 have any features emulators usually have like save states and fast forwarding? If it does, then yeah, no way it would be allowed then.

1 minute ago, ZombieKiryu0 said:

Does RPCS3 have any features emulators usually have like save states and fast forwarding? If it does, then yeah, no way it would be allowed then.

Good question-I don't know. What I do know is that you can earn trophies and play certain games from beginning to end. You can also use your own PS3 saves. My question is, can you take the file on which trophies are saved and paste that in the PS3, then connect to PSN. Would the timestamps match when you earned it on the emulator or would they look like you used a save file (ie all messed up and in close proximity).

1 minute ago, srikir said:

Good question-I don't know. What I do know is that you can earn trophies and play certain games from beginning to end. You can also use your own PS3 saves. My question is, can you take the file on which trophies are saved and paste that in the PS3, then connect to PSN. Would the timestamps match when you earned it on the emulator or would they look like you used a save file (ie all messed up and in close proximity).

10-1 it would show up as using a save file to auto pop. I'd recommend just not bothering with emulators to earn trophies if you care about staying on the leaderboards here.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, srikir said:

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't match. Would be the same as transferring a save from another account.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

You could always use original discs with emulators, i.e. PS1 and PS2.

Maybe you want to emulate because your CRT is borked or want to play in a smaller screen or crap like that lol.

If i’m going to be honest I don’t have any experience with emulating using legit discs, all the examples i’ve seen are people playing nintendo/sega games using downloaded software. For old dirt cheap games that are hard to run well/hard to find I can understand.

Newer games however... gets a bit muddy in my opinion. Maybe I’m in the minority here and everybody else is fine with it ?

3 hours ago, x7eight said:

Lmao @ thinking these emulators are even close to playable. Ps2 emulation hasn't even hit 100% yet. These things don't work how they advertise and pretend they do lol.

PS2 has high compatibility with PCSX2 at this point though. Have you seen the compatibility list in their site?

3 hours ago, Intresseklubben said:

If i’m going to be honest I don’t have any experience with emulating using legit discs, all the examples i’ve seen are people playing nintendo/sega games using downloaded software. For old dirt cheap games that are hard to run well/hard to find I can understand.

Newer games however... gets a bit muddy in my opinion. Maybe I’m in the minority here and everybody else is fine with it 1f914.png

You put the PS1/PS2 disc on the DVD drive of your PC and start them from the emulators. Or make your own ISOs using them and again use them with the emulators.

Edited by Lance_87