Tips for Missile, Demon, Zombie, Girl and Impossible Boy

S_y_n_e_IR_g_Y

16 hours ago, ThatGuyPBG said:

I simply cannot do 7-19x. All the other levels are mostly fine, I just can't do this one. I've turned off game sounds, count my jumps etc. but it takes me about 20 tries to beat the level and then there's a 1 in 4 chance I die on 7-9x afterwards which means another 20 tries. I don't think there's any tips that will help me. It's quite literally "get good".

I had this same issue when going for the Impossible Boy trophy, and I got quite frustrated every time I had to restart a run because I simply hated 7-19x. Two details that "made it" for me for the most part are:

1) Don't rush, there is plenty of time. You should have a lot of time from the moment you can reach the top until the path to meat boy closes. If that's not the case, as @Jasko_SOA already said, it's very likely that your game got glitched, which happens after the game has been on for a while (or in rest mode, apparently), so try restarting the console and go ahead.

This will make a difference because you will have time to stop at the start of the top part, go for it, stop again halfway through the top part, reposition yourself and then do the rest of it. I don't know where you usually die, but for me it was mostly near the end because I hadn't been jumping at the right rhythm and the error accumulates, so I simply stopped after 3-4 blades and went for the rest of it way more consistently. It increased my success rate drastically, I can't emphasise this enough.

2) Make your tries consistent. Always jump the same way, from the same spot and at the same time. Applies to the whole level, but especially at the end it helped to have the same setup every time, and the muscle memory will do the rest of the job after practice. No approach makes it easy, but using always the same approach will make it less hard.

Besides these things there is not much to do but practise. I would recommend not going into ironman attempts before getting more consistency in this level, it gets very frustrating and that makes us play worse.

Keep up and good luck, mate!

Just completed it. The best advice I can give for 7-19x is to record the sound of your controller when doing a successful run and listen to it on loop so you have the rhythm of the jumps stuck in your head. This helped me out a lot.

Otherwise, and I think this is the most annoying advice, the best way to do the no death run for Cotton Alley dark world is just by practicing over and over. Try and figure out different techniques which make some levels just that little bit easier and more consistent. Also I found that for other worlds, just grinding it out as much as you can in a day worked pretty well. However for me doing Cotton Alley dark world just doing a little bit at a time helped me make the most amount of progress.

Getting this trophy was bittersweet because I was so euphoric that I forgot to save the past 15 minutes of recording. This is almost definitely the most difficult trophy I will ever do and I wish I had the footage of achieving. But whatever I guess there's nothing I can do about it now.

Now I can finally play the game for fun again.

Edited by ThatGuyPBG
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

I've recently gotten Zombie Boy, and I'm trying for Impossible boy. I've actually gotten to practice the hard levels (Especially 7-19x and 7-9x. I managed to do 7-19x around 27 times in a row without dying the other day an excerpt of which I posted on twitter https://twitter.com/r2rokid/status/1336871572749967360, 7-9x around 12 times, and I can pretty much fire up both levels randomly and not die 9/10 times so I guess those levels are pretty safe) but I seem to have some levels that I just cannot be consistent at. These levels are not really difficult from what I've read and observed from others so I was hoping for some advice if possible.

7-1x

Ideally, the red path is what you are supposed to take, however I just cannot seem to hit it consistently. Either I overshoot to the point I cannot make the full circle (hitting the razor blade below), or I just hit the razor blade. On the times I succeed, I either do not get enough height to clear the pillar to the left or I and up hitting the razor blade at the top in the middle. Is there any consistent technique / button pattern or timing to hit this part consistently? I just can't seem to get it down even after playing it several times.

FI0s27H.jpg

7-6x

My issue about this level is that it seems luck-based for me. Sometimes I just can't clear this jump as I'm not too high enough (even if I try to gain as much height as possible), and sometimes I do. Is there a more consistent way to clear this part? I start off to the left, jump (slide across the wall), get as much height I can, and clear the razor blade to the left. 

qorpOEu.jpg

7-12x

I'm a little ashamed of this one seems a lot consider this easier than it's Dark Salt World equivalent, but I just cannot time it properly. There are two sections which I have a difficult time with timing. The first one requires "that jump" after obtaining the key, but I either overshoot into the incoming blade or I get sideswiped. Any visual guide for the proper timing / jump pattern to make this one easier?

QK4xFn7.jpg

The second part is this jump. I also either get sideswiped by the incoming razor blade, or I just don't make the jump properly. What's the best timing advice for this?

Sio8Zro.jpg

Any advice is appreciated. I'm a little ashamed since I just can't seem to do these levels, considering 7-12x is a level many players seem to place at the end of their impossible boy run, and I'm thinking of placing it as my first since I just can't hit it consistently. X_X

1 hour ago, r2rokid said:

7-1X - This jump can be very tricky, there's no pattern or set strategy because it really depends on the amount of momentum you'll get from that jump, therefore sometimes you'll have to adjust your angle by letting go of the analog stick and/or run button for a bit, and sometimes not. A tip to make this just a bit easier would be to aim for the lower part of the wall below the sawblade, because the closer you contour it, the easier it will be to reach the wall on the other side.

7-6X - Here, you're just too low on the left wall, the saw hitboxes are a bit smaller than they look so you can safely go closer to that one above you. This is done by delaying your last wall jump on the left a little bit more, while still holding the jump button from the previous one (to get the max height out of it). This will get you closer to the sawblade above you, and then you just hold right + jump to make it over the right saw everytime. Also make sure you are jumping in the apex of the wall slide, don't wait until meat boy starts sliding down since that will ruin your momentum and height.

ezgif-7-0df8b240c62d.gif

7-12X - For that first jump I'd recommend not trying to go directly down, instead, step on that little 1x1 square next to the key and without running tap to the right on the d-pad a few times to fall down. Running off ledges in this game can make you overshoot very simple jumps.

For the second one, I usually do two simple and very mechanic movements there, I even change from the analog stick to the dpad to make it more precise.

Stepping on the platform you are in the picture, as soon as the sawblade passes you, push and hold the jump + left buttons, you will slide up the wall to your left and and as soon as you hit the final left wall, release x and press/hold jump + right at the same time again.

The reason for pressing them at the same time is to make sure your trajectory is the exact same one every time, delaying one of the inputs can slightly change it in unexpected ways when you're in such a small space.

I'll look like this:

ezgif-7-32ee1e174184.gif

Edited by LucasDiasC
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, LucasDiasC said:

7-1X - This jump can be very tricky, there's no pattern or set strategy because it really depends on the amount of momentum you'll get from that jump, therefore sometimes you'll have to adjust your angle by letting go of the analog stick and/or run button for a bit, and sometimes not. A tip to make this just a bit easier would be to aim for the lower part of the wall below the sawblade, because the closer you contour it, the easier it will be to reach the wall on the other side.

7-6X - Here, you're just too low on the left wall, the saw hitboxes are a bit smaller than they look so you can safely go closer to that one above you. This is done by delaying your last wall jump on the left a little bit more, while still holding the jump button (to get the max height from it). This will get you closer to the sawblade above you, and then you just hold right + jump to make it over the right saw everytime. Also make sure you are jumping in the apex of the wall slide, don't wait until meat boy starts sliding down since that will ruin your momentum and height.

ezgif-7-0df8b240c62d.gif

7-12X - For that first jump I'd recommend not trying to go directly down, instead, step on that little 1x1 square next to the key and without running tap to the right on the d-pad a few times to fall down. Running off ledges in this game can make you overshoot very simple jumps.

For the second one, I usually do two simple and very mechanic movements there, I even change from the analog stick to the dpad to make it more precise.

Stepping on the platform you are in the picture, as soon as the sawblade passes you, push and hold the jump + left buttons, you will slide up the wall to your left and and as soon as you hit the final left wall, release x and press/hold jump + right at the same time again.

The reason for pressing them at the same time is to make sure your trajectory is the exact same one every time, delaying one of the inputs can slightly change it in unexpected ways when you're in such a small space.

I'll look like this:

ezgif-7-32ee1e174184.gif

Wow! Thank you so much for this detailed explanation. I guess it's also the hitboxes of the sawblades as even in the image alone it seems tight, but I guess I just have to familiarize myself by just playing the level some more.

Thank you for this! This will definitely help in my progress and I'll keep others posted how I'm doing. Seeing everyone here succeed and helping each other out really motivates me to go for this intimidating trophy. :D

• Like 1

Hello everyone! It's me again.

I just wanted to say thank you everyone here. I just got the platinum trophy in SMB. I couldn't have done it without you guys, and I just wanted to extend my thanks again! Never imagined I'd get this platinum trophy since it sounded very intimidating, but after reading everyone's success stories, I finally decided to pick it up and I'm so happy to have the platinum! :D

urjjqo6.png

Edited by r2rokid
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Any tips for 5-5x at the final sawblade jump? For some reason I just can’t get past it consistently. In fact I have a better chance of succeeding with Meatboy than with The Kid, although The Kid should be easier...

28 minutes ago, BB-BakkerJ said:

Any tips for 5-5x at the final sawblade jump? For some reason I just can’t get past it consistently. In fact I have a better chance of succeeding with Meatboy than with The Kid, although The Kid should be easier...

I used The Kid, mainly because he is slower than Meatboy, which helped me to time my jumps better.

For the last sawblade, dont rush the second jump of the double jump.

You need to make a big wall jump so you can get the key, and if you get the key with the first jump, then you make the second jump, which MUST be a big jump too!

But in the end, if you feel the level easier with Meatboy, then by all means, play it with Meatboy.

Good luck!

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Booster92BG said:

I used The Kid, mainly because he is slower than Meatboy, which helped me to time my jumps better.

For the last sawblade, dont rush the second jump of the double jump.

You need to make a big wall jump so you can get the key, and if you get the key with the first jump, then you make the second jump, which MUST be a big jump too!

But in the end, if you feel the level easier with Meatboy, then by all means, play it with Meatboy.

Good luck!

Thanks. With Meatboy I make it around 2/5 times and with The Kid 1/5 times. That’s just not good enough ?. Although I could start my Iron Man run with this level it feels like I’m missing something obviously easy here ?.

Edit: Aaah alright. I tried to jump around the sawblade but it’s easier to just jump to the other side. 5/5 in a row ?.

Edit 2: Alright got it now. EZPZ.

Edited by BB-BakkerJ
  • Like 1

I think Dark Rapture difficulty is overrated. Many of the most difficult levels have workarounds that make them drastically easier. Commander Video makes 7x and 20x trivial. I just had a practice session where I completed 20x a dozen times consecutively. Basically the only true barriers to the iron man are 5 and 15 through 19. And there are 5 that are effectively freebies. 1, 6 and 10 with The Kid, 7 with Commander Video and 13 with Pink Knight. I would almost put 20 on there but outrunning the saw blades with Commander Video is relatively tight. 

5 hours ago, postofficebuddy said:

I think Dark Rapture difficulty is overrated. Many of the most difficult levels have workarounds that make them drastically easier. Commander Video makes 7x and 20x trivial. I just had a practice session where I completed 20x a dozen times consecutively. Basically the only true barriers to the iron man are 5 and 15 through 19. And there are 5 that are effectively freebies. 1, 6 and 10 with The Kid, 7 with Commander Video and 13 with Pink Knight. I would almost put 20 on there but outrunning the saw blades with Commander Video is relatively tight. 

Interesting. I didn’t know there was a Commander Video strategy for 20x. 7x is easy anyway, even if you use The Kid or Meatboy. I liked Meatboy more for that level.

For me Zombie Boy was definitely a big increase in difficulty compared to anything previous. Especially the RNG of the angry Meat Boys in 9x, enemies not walking where they should in 15x, the randomness of the two missile launcher room in 19x and getting up the platforms in 20x where I could not always dodge the small sawblade launcher.

But to put it in perspective. I’ve done all Iron Man runs within one day of going for it except for Zombie Boy which took two days. So I can’t say it’s really that difficult either.

But yeah, luckily there are a ton of easy levels. I never even practiced 1-3x and 10-14x. They are very easy. So if you get through 4-9x & 15-20x it’s just holding your nerves together.

Good luck!

Edited by BB-BakkerJ
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, Decroux3000 said:

hands won't stop shaking
five levels from zombie boy
over at sixteen

a haiku of my failure last night.

Cool haiku. If it makes you feel any better I basically had the same thing happen to me last night. Choked on the final jump in 12x with 5 left. And the 4 left after that were all free.

Edited by postofficebuddy
  • Like 1

Zombie Boy is definitely kicking my ass.  Managed a streak of 13 today.  I go 16-20, then 1-15.  I keep getting thrown off by the last jump on 5-20x because the level stops moving, it ruins most of my runs lol.  And the runs I *do* get passed that, I make a really silly mistake on one of the easier levels.  Nerves will eventually stop getting the better of me but damn this one is way more extreme than Maggot Boy.

Edit:  I just noticed a few posts above saying use Commander Video for 20x.. Will try this on my next attempt tomorrow.  I also use The Kid for basically every level with exceptions in 17x & 18x where I use Meatboy

Edited by Deano1337
Adding comment
  • Like 1

Zombie Boy! F*** yeah! It wasn’t in the order that I normally would have done them but it worked out.  I started using a new strategy for 9x that was a lot more consistent. It’s slow as hell but it got the job done. I had the rocket launchers kill all the zombies for me. If a zombie didn’t aggro before I broke the combustible wall it was behind than I just exited to map and tried again. The order that I completed the levels in was: 20, 5-6, 4, 15, 8-9, 16-19, 1-3, 11-14, 10, 7. In case you’re wondering why I have 4 and 6 so early it’s because I had choked at those 2 multiple times in previous runs. Also I realized after the fact that I had done 19 again unnecessarily. That was where my previous attempt had failed. For the last 2 I’m going to keep a running count of completed levels in a note on my phone. 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, postofficebuddy said:

Zombie Boy! F*** yeah! It wasn’t in the order that I normally would have done them but it worked out.  I started using a new strategy for 9x that was a lot more consistent. It’s slow as hell but it got the job done. I had the rocket launchers kill all the zombies for me. If a zombie didn’t aggro before I broke the combustible wall it was behind than I just exited to map and tried again. The order that I completed the levels in was: 20, 5-6, 4, 15, 8-9, 16-19, 1-3, 11-14, 10, 7. In case you’re wondering why I have 4 and 6 so early it’s because I had choked at those 2 multiple times in previous runs. Also I realized after the fact that I had done 19 again unnecessarily. That was where my previous attempt had failed. For the last 2 I’m going to keep a running count of completed levels in a note on my phone. 

Nicely done, congrats!  I got a streak of 14 earlier so I feel that its coming.  Who do/did you guys use for 5-5x?  I don't feel it's one I struggle with but I seem to die more often than not.  I figure I just need to practice it a bit more.  Currently I'm on par with the switch, but every so often the Kid goes onto the side of the things unlocking and then I jump into the grinder. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Deano1337 said:

Nicely done, congrats!  I got a streak of 14 earlier so I feel that its coming.  Who do/did you guys use for 5-5x?  I don't feel it's one I struggle with but I seem to die more often than not.  I figure I just need to practice it a bit more.  Currently I'm on par with the switch, but every so often the Kid goes onto the side of the things unlocking and then I jump into the grinder. 

If you’re using The Kid run to the right briefly at the start. That way you build up a bit more speed before hitting the switch. I use The Kid in that level too. I find the saw blades in the long corridor to be easier to time since he doesn’t run as fast as meat boy. Unfortunately I can’t really offer much advice beyond that. Just keep practicing and eventually you’ll get a feel for the timing. Towards the end I think I was averaging a 60%-70% success ratio on that level. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, postofficebuddy said:

If you’re using The Kid run to the right briefly at the start. That way you build up a bit more speed before hitting the switch. I use The Kid in that level too. I find the saw blades in the long corridor to be easier to time since he doesn’t run as fast as meat boy. Unfortunately I can’t really offer much advice beyond that. Just keep practicing and eventually you’ll get a feel for the timing. Towards the end I think I was averaging a 60%-70% success ratio on that level. 

Thank you.  After practicing for a bit more this evening I actually got Zombie Boy, so I'm super thrilled!  The tips here have been super helpful the last few days.  Feeling really motivated going into Girl Boy now.  Once I have all the runs I'm going to post them all, but for references sake, my final run in Dark Rapture was as follows;

5-16x - The Kid

5-17x - Meatboy

5-18x - Meatboy

5-19x - The Kid

5-20x - Commander Video

5-1x - The Kid

5-2x - The Kid

5-3x - The Kid

5-4x - The Kid

5-5x - The KId

5-6x - The Kid

5-7x - The Kid

5-8x - Ogmo

5-9x - The Kid

5-10x - The Kid

5-11x - The Kid

5-12x - The Kid

5-14x - The Kid

5-15x - The Kid

5-13x - Pink Knight

Edited by Deano1337
Typo
  • Like 4

Haven’t really made many concerted attempts for Girl Boy since I last posted. Just been practicing all the levels and trying to get more consistent. Usually my practice goal is to get consistent enough at a level that I can get at least a 5 completion streak. I’ve pretty much been able to do that with all the levels in light Cotton Alley with the exception of 20. I’m not even remotely consistent at 20. I think my success rate for it is something like 10%. But since I’m so consistent at all the other levels I don’t think a successful run will take that long. I just hope I don’t have too many choking issues like I did in dark Rapture (over 20 chokes past 13 levels complete). BTW, congrats Deano. 
:edit: Ugh, just had a bad choke on Girl Boy at 16 levels complete. Died on 7-12 which is normally easy for me. I’m pretty sure I’ve only died 2 or 3 times on that level. If I had completed that I would have been home free, only had 2, 14 and 18 left. 

Edited by postofficebuddy
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, postofficebuddy said:

Haven’t really made many concerted attempts for Girl Boy since I last posted. Just been practicing all the levels and trying to get more consistent. Usually my practice goal is to get consistent enough at a level that I can get at least a 5 completion streak. I’ve pretty much been able to do that with all the levels in light Cotton Alley with the exception of 20. I’m not even remotely consistent at 20. I think my success rate for it is something like 10%. But since I’m so consistent at all the other levels I don’t think a successful run will take that long. I just hope I don’t have too many choking issues like I did in dark Rapture (over 20 chokes past 13 levels complete). BTW, congrats Deano. 

It's the tiny saws on level 20 that are causing me issues, so I know 19 and 20 will be the first.  I also struggle a bit with 9 & 10 because I hate rockets.  Every other level hasn't actually been as bad as I thought it would be.  My best streak so far has been 7, but I'm doing the same as you where I'm just playing through everything to try and get consistent.  For me it's looking like 7 will be at the bottom of the list.

I wish I could give you a tip for 20 but I'm barely consistent with the tiny saws myself.  You'll get it soon I'm sure. :)

• Like 1

Oh god, it’s Zombie Boy 2.0. I’m choking like crazy. 9 failed runs past 15 levels complete. All of them on easy levels that I normally have no problem with. 7-3 is easy but 4 of my chokes have been on that level. I think I’m going to have to start doing it earlier. Thankfully no truly ridiculous chokes like on 14. You would have to actively screw up to die there. On the bright side at least I’ve gotten more consistent at 20. My success rate on that level has gotten up to about 25%. 

• Like 1