Tips for Missile, Demon, Zombie, Girl and Impossible Boy

S_y_n_e_IR_g_Y

I'm currently making tutorials for all no deathruns. Basicly videos with the safest strat (imo) for all the levels. 

This is the first tutorial covering the first 3 worlds.

If someone has questions please feel free to ask me. 

Good luck to everyone who is going for this platinum. 

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just got zombie boy, only two trophies left, with 5628 deaths at the moment.

But I'm really scared of Cotton Alley, I feel like I just got all other trophies because of The kid and without him the difficulty will spike alot.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Clennx said:

Just got zombie boy, only two trophies left, with 5628 deaths at the moment.

But I'm really scared of Cotton Alley, I feel like I just got all other trophies because of The kid and without him the difficulty will spike alot.

Zombie Boy is harder than Cotton Alley IMO. If you can get that then you can definitely beat Cotton Alley. Does take a lot of practice though... best of luck!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Clennx said:

Finally got the plat!!! Thanks for the support!

To me girl boy was as hard as zombie boy but impossible boy was harder than both, it took me 12 hours to get it.

Final death count of 8063, I died alot practicing dark Cotton Alley.

Congrats!  I just started working on Zombie Boy and I can definitely tell the difference between it and Demon Boy... Hopefully can get to the plat soon as well. 

~TC

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

It’s really nice to see folks offering tips and encouraging each other to complete these no death runs. It’s been a pleasant read. Really good community within the SMB forum :) 

I’m currently trying to finish my last no death trophy = Impossible Boy. Haven’t had too much time to play lately but I try to play a bit each day to keep the muscle memory. My highest streak has been 12 and I feel like it’s not so out of reach any longer yet it’s so easy to choke on these levels in Dark Cotton. It’s a fun challenge nevertheless, I feel like I’m improving each session.

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I haven't gotten Demon Boy or Zombie Boy yet, but I can share what I remember about the Cotton Alleys.

Light:
7-7: Run straight off the platforms to the left and right and you'll never hit the fans, and often have enough momentum to get where you're aiming, rendering this stage WAY easier than Thanatos Ninja thought.

7-5: Wait a few minutes, 3 of the Dust Bunnies disappear out the top.  A fourth Disappears somewhere in the 900s of seconds, but shouldn't be needed.  You have to collect a key first and hide in the alcove, but they ever go into there.

Dark:

7-1x: Good luck NOT 1-frame wall-kicking yourself into the blade on the last jump.  If you're coming on it high, give yourself a moment and that should at least mitigate the problem.
7-5x: Remember that 7-5 exploit above, well, it DOES exist here, but it HURTS you instead.  The dust bunnies won't disappear out the top, but will move into those supposedly secure little hallyways between mushroom heads.  You can get around this by doing the level quickly, requires precision, but what DOESN'T in this area? (besides 7-3x and 7-4x, those are the gimmies)

7-7x: It CAN be easy, IF you can get good at lightly tapping directional buttons.  Even use a straight edge to your screen to determine the position for one-shotting the stage.

7=8x: Good news, there's an exploit, Bad News, you have to die on the stage to use it.  Yeah, if you die when the slightly wider gap is on the top-left corner, it'll become MUCH wider, making the jump back a breeze.  You'll obviously have to make it your first stage to use it though.

7-10x: Another exploit that hurts you exists here, albiet, one you can easily reset from.  Should you run into the missle alcoves, you GO THROUGH THE WALL, but it only moves you backwards.

7-11x: The known exploit isn't oh so great, it requires precision to pull off and the blades will warp back to the start and begin coming your way at the 20 second mark.  It buys you time and CAN be pulled off, but it's less an easy fix and more an alternative strategy.

7-13x: Not THAT hard of a stage (relatively anyway) once you can practice a stable, safe path, it's just hard to practice and find such a path cus, you know, rising bleach.

7-14x: The post key jump is a REAL bitch to learn, but you can easily get this stage stable once you do.  It's by far the worst part.

7-16x: If Bandage girl is swinging high near the 2nd blade set, just go for Meat Boy, you're close enough.

7-18x: Pick a direction, left or right.  Run UNDER the Oob (you'll make it) and just keep jumping over them in a circle.  More intimidating than hard.  If any Oobs go below the stage, catch more air time to bring them up.

Both:

-There appears to be a 1-frame or so slowdown when you hit the ceiling between blocks.  Barely noticeable, and almost never an issue.......EXCEPT in 7-19, 7-20, and 7-20x (5-20x can bypass this with Gish).  If you notice, clearing these blades can be done with 0, 1, or 2 spaces between the blade and Bandage Girl's Calamine Lotion Trail.  But sometimes you hit them when there's ONE space.  This is how I know the slowdown exists.  I don't know for sure it's hitting the ceiling spot between blocks that causes it, but it PROBABLY is, it explains why MOST such jumps make it, but a few one-space-away ones don't.

Edit - I misremembered how Tommunism works, sorry about that.

Edited by g34hgfggn
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

So I got Zombie Boy the other Day.  Here's what I did, who I used, and why:

5-8x: Ogmo - There just isn't another option, at least, not a GOOD one, given all the blades and how close everything is.
5-9x: The Kid - NO ONE can have a 100% stable strat for this stage, but The Kid at least mitigates the stage's problems as much as can be done.  For the Zombies at the top, lure them down if close to the edge, double-jump over them if not.

5-10x The Kid - Ogmo can do it safely too, but it's just that much easier with The Kid, so why not?

5-11x: Ogmo - It MAY be easier to get up top with The Kid, but much more important is the ability to NOT DIE, which is easier with Ogmo.  If you jump into the switch from the roof of the hallway, that part that's only 2 blocks high(er), it's manageable.

5-18x: Flywrench - It's a bit tough to avoid dying at the beginning, but if you can quickly get the key, then quickly move to the bottom left corner the rest is easy.  At first glance, this looks like an Ogmo stage, the problem is that he has trouble quickly reaching the key.  Flywrench can do so without much trouble, but also his fast falling helps you quickly dart back to the bottom left to get under the rising blades.  Then at the end, his straight up and down movement comes in handy, as you'll be less likely to jump into a bullet.

5-19x: Ogmo - Small hitbox + lots of stuff = no brainer.  Other than that, I don't think I have much to say that hasn't been said.
5-20x: Ogmo - Yeah I thought this was a Gish Stage at first.  He DOES do well at the VERY beginning and at the VERY end, but doesn't fair as well throughout the rest.  Commander Video IS worth considering too, but it's a VERY TIGHT SQUEEZE at the beginning.  Ogmo's small hitbox means you can avoid the blades at the beginning and end just as well as those, with maybe a SLIGHT disadvantage, but he does so much better with the rest of the stage that it just isn't close.  You still have to do SOME timing at the beginning to outrun the blades, but it isn't TOO hard.

5-15x: Ogmo - You might think he's too slow, but in actuality he isn't.  In fact, he makes up for his decreased speed vs. The Kid because he can be A LOT LESS CAREFUL and thus, stop a lot less.  Other than that, with all the tight spaces and such, Ogmo is just a given.

5-16x: Ogmo - Though it's counter-intuitive, you'll want to get fast at the start and through the dropping blades.  If you don't, good chance the Langolier/Oob at the end will get you.  Try, only ONCE, to double-jump from the top of the falling blades section, to wall-cling the right-most(stuck out block) portion of the top.  If you succeed, jump up top and hurry to the exit.  If you fail, restart.  You'll just have to get good at dodging the blades, but with Ogmo, it's doable.
5-17x: Meat Boy - Yeah it's just not practical to try using anyone else.  You CAN do it with The Kid, but he has the largest hitbox, which makes him VERY prone to dying at the beginning and at the bottom of the blades section.
5-12x: The Kid - A couple tight spots isn't ideal for the character with the biggest hitbox, but he makes the rest of the stage so much easier that it's worth the risk.
5-13x: Pink Knight - Well established strat, nothing new.

5-14x: The Kid - CAN be done stably with Spelunky, but The Kid lets you skip half the stage, so unless you just keep hitting the maggot piles at the beginning with him, just use The Kid.
5-5x: The Kid - Spelunky can REACH the bottom, but doesn't seem able to reach the exit.  Even if he can, it's tight enough that you should just use The Kid.

5-6x: Ogmo - The Kid's speed IS worth considering, since you have to be fast at the end.  BUT, of much greater risk is the blades near the exit.  It's too easy to hit them with The Kid while going fast.  Takes a little practice to get consistently fast enough with Ogmo, but worth it.

5-7x: Commander Video - A LITTLE harder to catch the key with him than The Kid or Meat Boy, but his float ability makes the bottom WAY more survivable with him.  Other characters have this benefit too, but they can't catch the key as easily.  And missing the key is only a restart hazard, so...............

5-3x: Spelunky - Shooting through the Light Orbs makes him an obvious choice.  What's NOT obvious is that you can use the downward explosion to land BEFORE them so you you don't risk timing yourself wrong on orbs you can't see yet.
5-4x: Spelunky. Explosion + Light Orbs.  Also at the end he can float straight up to the exit area if he jumps in the right spot.  Takes some trial and error, and some practice, but he's by far the best for this stage.

5-2x: Ogmo - The Kid CAN jump to the exit easier, but it's not impossibly hard for Ogmo.  Of more concern, is just before the exit where you have to jump through the blades, The Kid will easily die there.

5-1x: Pink Knight - I'm actually shocked just how many people wasted tons of their time trying to 1-frame wall kick a shortcut to the exit with The Kid when you can just so easily get to it with Pink Knight.  Sure, he can die off the top of the screen, IF you actually jump from the VERY ROOF, but you can instead jump from a floor below it, and, not only not die, but reach the exit.  A safer strat, is to use two jumps.  The 2nd jump being a wall-bounce off the starting building.  That way, you don't risk hitting the blade.

And no, it ISN'T harder than EITHER of the Cotton Allys (LOL), MAYBE if you try to do most or all of the stages with The Kid(who IS good, but is WAY over-rated), but other than 5-9x, there's no REAL reason to say that.  And even THAT stage isn't enough by itself to justify the sentiment, not even close.

Edited by g34hgfggn
Typo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Final Guide here, I don't think Missle Boy is challenging enough to warrant one.  I actually managed to get Demon Boy despite having little free time due to work and the holidays, so here goes:

4-15x: Meat Boy - He's just better at evading the abaddons than even The Kid.  Hop to the key up top, bounce up there to keep the next abaddon from following you, the double bounce the right wall before getting the 2nd, then quickly the 3rd key.  It's not ENTIRELY stable, but it's the most stable I could get it.
4-16x: Spelunky - Shooting back and forth at the top easily evades the abaddons.  On the bottom, you have to time your shot after breaking the wall then QUICKLY wall jump, but I find this the most stable method.
4-17x: Ogmo - So many tight spaces, I just don't see the case for anyone else.

4-18x: Pink Knight - You have to practice the beginning, but once you do, you can basically bypass the abaddon section.  The key is to get him stuck in high jump at the top while you wait for the platform, then cancel out of it.

4-19x: Ogmo - With some practice and a good strat, it's more stable than you think.  Ogmo's small hitbox helps, but it also help if you can break only part of the floor then hide under the remainder to keep more abaddons from spawning.

4-20x: Ogmo - NOT that hard, but long.  Ogmo takes some practice to get through certain sections with, but once you do, he greatly reduces deaths in the first two and last rooms.

4-7x: Flywrench - Just used the same strat we all know, nothing special.
4-8x: Commander Video - Gish controls like an interface screw, which in unacceptable on a stage with this many things moving around.  His ceiling cling is also not as controllable as Commander Video's floating ability.  So overall, just use Commander Video.

4-9x: Ogmo - He has to jump into the bottom corner of a wall at the beginning for this to work, but it makes the stage that much more stable vs. The Kid, and in a no-death run, 1% is vastly better than 10%.

4-10x: Ogmo - Flywrench has trouble with the last jump and is reliant on mashing his triple jump to clear the lava bombs.  The Kid can clear the last jump without hugging the left block, but that's a lot less convenient than the easier time Ogmo has with the lava bombs.

4-11x: The Kid - Just don't touch the portals, not as super easy as it sometimes seems.

4-12x: Flywrench - The ability to climb walls straight up and down REALLY helps with getting behind the blocks on the left and right.  His fast falling will require practice to avoid hitting the eyes at certain points, but it also helps just as much as it hurts as once you're lined up, you can evade the laser much easier.  It also helps him land on the middle platform more reliably without getting hit by a laser, which is REAL important since you have to do it twice.

4-13x: Flywrench - Similar to the above, only MUCH EASIER.  Other than that, just use the known strat.

4-14x: Spelunky. - His explosion makes the top and bottom corridors MUCH easier, albiet, it requires timing.  For the bottom one, you MAY still need to cling behind a single top wall before geting to the exit.  Still simplifies the level quite a bit.

4-1x: Commander Video - His float simplifies all the otherwise annoying parts of the level.

4-2x: Ogmo - Right, I thought this was a The Kid stage too.  Ironically though, you don't need Ogmo for his smaller hitbox (though it doesn't hurt), but rather his SLOWER SPEED.  There are two parts where you need to land on one block wide platforms to advance, I found myself frequently botching these with The Kid (as in about 20%-30% of the time), but Ogmo?  Only botched it ONE time, and probably because of nervousness due to it being late in the run.

4-3x: Flywrench - You'd NEVER think to use Flywrench here, NEVER.  And really, I only tried it on a whim, good thing I had that whim though.  Turns out, he climbs walls faster than anyone, negating his fast falling handicap.  He also doesn't need to zig-zag as much, and easily avoids ALL the hazards, and can in fact, bypass the last jump by going from the floor, UNDER the blades and to the exit.  For the latter, just use a full, single jump.  Works every time.

4-4x: Ogmo - Used a different strat than usual though.  I jumped down as soon as the lava bomb began descending and went UNDER the wall before the exit to avoid being killed by the platform.

4-5x: Ogmo - Commander Video requires a PRECISE height to clear the blades, and can't get through the lava bombs at the end as easily.

4-6x: The Kid - Conventional, Stage-bypassing strat.

Once again, Ogmo proves more important than The Kid, or anyone else.  That said, if the two stages where he IS useful prove anything, it's that when The Kid IS useful, he's EXTREMELY useful, just not nearly as much or as often as people tend to think.

Edited by g34hgfggn
  • Like 1

On 09/12/2021 at 10:24 PM, damienjablonski said:

I just popped Impossible Boy and the platinum trophy, over 16,000 deaths later. Thanks to everyone who made videos showing off tricks, tips and strategies for each level. Thanks to everyone on the forums who posted on this thread with tips. Good luck to anyone who wants to try this platinum in the future; you’re in for a wild ride, albeit it’ll be the most rewarding and deserved trophy you’ll ever earn. Now, onto the sequel, but maybe not straight away 1f602.png

Congrats on the Platinum ?

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have any tips on how they improved on the small jumps towards the end of 7-20? This seems to be the only level in Cotton Alley light that’s giving me trouble. Sometimes I can turn on SMB and pass it first try, or sometimes I can spend 20 minutes without completing the level at all. 

It’s definitely going to have to be my first level in a run, but my problem is after doing it I’ll go straight to 7-7 and end any hopes of a clean run to those damn fan blades, sending me back to 7-20 :P

3 hours ago, Eqill5 said:

Does anyone have any tips on how they improved on the small jumps towards the end of 7-20? This seems to be the only level in Cotton Alley light that’s giving me trouble. Sometimes I can turn on SMB and pass it first try, or sometimes I can spend 20 minutes without completing the level at

I had a similar issue when I was running 7-20. I found that it was a combination of tapping the jump button and focusing your eyes on the blades themselves rather than bandage girl - I never seemed to have a problem with the moving small blades it was always the stationary ones.

God how I want to finish cotton alley dark world - I challenged myself to get SMB as #100 plat haha.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Eqill5 said:

Does anyone have any tips on how they improved on the small jumps towards the end of 7-20? This seems to be the only level in Cotton Alley light that’s giving me trouble. Sometimes I can turn on SMB and pass it first try, or sometimes I can spend 20 minutes without completing the level at all. 

It’s definitely going to have to be my first level in a run, but my problem is after doing it I’ll go straight to 7-7 and end any hopes of a clean run to those damn fan blades, sending me back to 7-20 :P

Same as mipdii, I also looked very slightly left or right of the saw blades and not on bandage girl. It helped me a lot.

this was also the map I did first in my no death run. I did 20, then 19 (because it was has a small blade jump at the end), then 1-18. Good luck! :D

Edited by Firefox_32
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Eqill5 said:

Besides what's already been said, I used 7-20x to practice those jumps, since the small blades are right at the beginning instead of having to go through the whole level to die at the first one.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Eqill5 said:

Thank you! @mipdii @Firefox_32 and @FrediPy_ I managed to finish Girl Boy this morning, looking slightly left or right from the saw blade depending on which direction you approached from helped massively!

Don’t give up @mipdii, you can do this! 1f601.png

Woooo congrats! I see you have dark rapture(I found it hardest) done so honestly the plats already in the bag. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Finally nailed Impossible boy + plat. Thank God!

I can't remember if I saw these tips on here, so sharing if it helps anyone with Dark Cotton Alley.

x11 - Holding run from start, jump and slide up first wall, while still holding run and jump over wall move left, right in the air once over the wall (I use d-pad). Once landed, keep running then slide up the next wall - I jump over the blades to make the rest of this level easy. Slide up the wall until you get to the 2nd dark horizontal line on the window. Then jump over the blade. This for me is all a fluid motion no stopping. if timed right, this will work 100% of the time.

x20 - I didn't see this done a lot in the runs I watched on YT and don't know why because it really relieves pressure of outrunning the blades. At the start run and jump over first blade then stop at the end of the first platform between the last and second last blade. You should be able to line your body up against the dark line verticals on the windows/building in the background. Let the blade wall move through/past you and then continue without it chasing you.

Good luck all.

Edited by mipdii
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

hey guys, i have been managing to get the no death run trophies thanks for all the tips here, i am on the last leg of this journey trying to not die in the  18-19 levels of dark world cotton valley...........its been hard but i might get the plat either today or tomorrow
to everyone that pitched in Thank you again for all the tips

• Like 3