Tips for Missile, Demon, Zombie, Girl and Impossible Boy

S_y_n_e_IR_g_Y

I look back here every now n then to congratulate who has beaten this game, as im proud of the ones who master it through hardwork blood and sweat, and I wondered who had recently got this plat as the rare percentage got a little less rare by a couple notches,

But i gotta say, what I saw.. im gettin real sick of cheaters.

The lastest 'fastest achiever' and super meat boy was their first platinum by the way.... reckons they got 'blood cot boy', 'salt boy', 'missile boy', 'brimstone boy', 'demon boy', 'maggot boy', zombie boy', 'girl boy', and 'impossible boy' all in the same day.....yea....RIGHT. 

Ridiculous. Gets right on my nerves.

They think theyve been clever by spacing the trophies one hour apart.

Anyway good luck to the rest of u genuine players.

And IS ANYONE EXCITED FOR SUPER MEAT BOY 2!!!??!!! I AM!! I must be mad but I really am lol

(This prob shouldnt of gone in this thread but its the only thread I use so didnt wanna start a new one just for a lil rant n question bout the sequel)

Edited by esstee11
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, esstee11 said:

I look back here every now n then to congratulate who has beaten this game, as im proud of the ones who master it through hardwork blood and sweat, and I wondered who had recently got this plat as the rare percentage got a little less rare by a couple notches,

The lastest 'fastest achiever' and super meat boy was their first platinum by the way.... reckons they got 'blood cot boy', 'salt boy', 'missile boy', 'brimstone boy', 'demon boy', 'maggot boy', zombie boy', 'girl boy', and 'impossible boy' all in the same day.....yea....RIGHT. 

Anyway good luck to the rest of u genuine players.

And IS ANYONE EXCITED FOR SUPER MEAT BOY 2!!!??!!! I AM!! I must be mad but I really am lol

(This prob shouldnt of gone in this thread but its the only thread I use so didnt wanna start a new one just for a lil rant n question bout the sequel)

It’s quite possible the player you mention has played this game a lot on a blank or different account, even on pc and was able to achieve the trophies quick because they had so much practice with it. If they did cheat then it’s obvious they will/do cheat other games. They WILL be caught eventually, you only get away with something for so long! I wouldn’t worry too much about it though... ?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HOGIE838IRE said:

Congratulations mate!! Girl Boy is a lot easier than Impossible Boy so you have this in the bag 1f600.png

Thanks! I'm so happy. I figured if  could do Impossible Boy first then I'd have an easy time with Girl Boy. Can not wait til im apart of the platinum club!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, esstee11 said:

Whilst yes it could be a cheater, you have to remember that not everyone is playing the game for the first time. If I replayed this on another account my completion time wouldn't be anywhere near as long as when I went in blind... In fact, I was bored one day and started a new save on a new account for something to do and got the 100% in-game completion in one sitting with over half of the no deaths along the way (up to Rapture). And I was just doing it out of boredom. There are other people out there who actually speedrun this game, people who've played it over and over again who could very easily get a platinum in one sitting if they wanted to. And that would be nothing new, I've seen it for other games where people make a new account just to speedrun 1 platinum.

One of the first quick achievers was someone who had played it loads before it launched on PS4. Just because somethings a fast time by a blind players standards doesn't make it chested, not everyone's going in blind. 

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, ZachSmoke said:

Just popped my SMB platinum tonight! Thanks everyone for there post for level strats etc. Enjoyed this game and cannot wait for the "Super Meat Boy Forever" title to release. :)

Congratz. :) 

Dont get your hopes too high for SMB:F though. It doesnt seem like a worthy successor. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't touched this game since september last year but after I renewed my psplus I thought it was time to try my luck and see how far I can press it this time around. So far, my first session already granted me the Brimstone Boy trophy, but it did not come easy compared to the other ones. This was the first ironman trophy I actually had to put effort into, killing me exactly 217 times before I got it done. Most annoying levels here were definitely 6 due to the platform being slightly bugged and unpredictable in its interactions, 8 because I had a hard time to reliably get it done, and 15+18 thanks to the atrocious launchers. I could have done this much ealier in my run but choked a few times on easier levels, and one time I seriously just died from jumping onto a platform in level 2. All levels done with The Kid.

Next two on my list would be Missile Boy or Maggot Boy, and I most likely will go for Maggot Boy because Missile Boy already has 4 levels I consider to be deal breakers for any serious ironman attempt. To specify this statement, I put each level into a category ranging between the following: easy meaning I can do it pretty much every single time, medium meaning I die sometimes, hard meaning I die often until i practice the level but even after practice I still die often enough to create the need of doing these levels early, and insane meaning the level is next to impossible to me and requires a high number of attempts to eventually make it by pure luck. I can live with one insane level, maybe two, but not more. Hell light had 0 insane levels, Rapture light already has 2 so this one will definitely give me a hard time but Missile Boy with it's 4 insane levels is definitely impossible for me to get with my current skill level, so there would be serious practice hours needed.

The main problems I am having with these 2 worlds are gravity spheres being way too unpredictable to ever get some levels with them in it done reliably, treadmills going upwards because there ain't no way to get the timing done reliably (at least for me, this requires multiple milisecond precision moves) and last but not least rocket launchers with highly different fire speed, making it impossible for me to really get accustomed to them. I have made it my goal to at least get Maggot Boy done because it is considered to be easy enough that it is not even a part of the opening post so my pride just demands it, but Missile Boy could very well prove to be my downfall this time. After I get the motivation and am done with Maggot Boy, I will try to do the levels for Missile Boy with the tips in this thread and then decide if it is worth even trying for the achhievement. For now I don't even wanna think about the 4 that come afterwards.

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, Nighcisama said:

Haven't touched this game since september last year but after I renewed my psplus I thought it was time to try my luck and see how far I can press it this time around. So far, my first session already granted me the Brimstone Boy trophy, but it did not come easy compared to the other ones. This was the first ironman trophy I actually had to put effort into, killing me exactly 217 times before I got it done. Most annoying levels here were definitely 6 due to the platform being slightly bugged and unpredictable in its interactions, 8 because I had a hard time to reliably get it done, and 15+18 thanks to the atrocious launchers. I could have done this much ealier in my run but choked a few times on easier levels, and one time I seriously just died from jumping onto a platform in level 2. All levels done with The Kid.

Next two on my list would be Missile Boy or Maggot Boy, and I most likely will go for Maggot Boy because Missile Boy already has 4 levels I consider to be deal breakers for any serious ironman attempt. To specify this statement, I put each level into a category ranging between the following: easy meaning I can do it pretty much every single time, medium meaning I die sometimes, hard meaning I die often until i practice the level but even after practice I still die often enough to create the need of doing these levels early, and insane meaning the level is next to impossible to me and requires a high number of attempts to eventually make it by pure luck. I can live with one insane level, maybe two, but not more. Hell light had 0 insane levels, Rapture light already has 2 so this one will definitely give me a hard time but Missile Boy with it's 4 insane levels is definitely impossible for me to get with my current skill level, so there would be serious practice hours needed.

The main problems I am having with these 2 worlds are gravity spheres being way too unpredictable to ever get some levels with them in it done reliably, treadmills going upwards because there ain't no way to get the timing done reliably (at least for me, this requires multiple milisecond precision moves) and last but not least rocket launchers with highly different fire speed, making it impossible for me to really get accustomed to them. I have made it my goal to at least get Maggot Boy done because it is considered to be easy enough that it is not even a part of the opening post so my pride just demands it, but Missile Boy could very well prove to be my downfall this time. After I get the motivation and am done with Maggot Boy, I will try to do the levels for Missile Boy with the tips in this thread and then decide if it is worth even trying for the achhievement. For now I don't even wanna think about the 4 that come afterwards.

My advice would be to play from level 1-20 straight through each time. I found it more stressful switching levels because after beating the harder ones I’d mess up on the easy ones anyway. On the harder worlds I could only manage playing for an hour a day or it would stress me out too much, so even just play through the levels once per day. You’ll be amazed how quickly you’ll be getting better with even that amount of time playing. Play something else too to help you relax if it gets too stressful, and most importantly, don’t give up! You can get it....

• Like 1

Well that was...unexpected. After the first tests on Rapture and Salt Dark to put the levels into categories, I just got Maggot Boy in my first session, even quicker than Brimstone Boy too. The main reason was probably the high number of easy levels thanks to the kid, so once I got a bit used to the two hardest levels, the rest was quite easy. Hardest level was 18 for me, being entirely at the mercy of a gravity sphere will never stop to suck. Level 19 was the other one annoying me, but I got really good at it after grinding it. Most others were either easy or middle, with only number 8 and 15 really having the potential to fuck things up but luckily, they didn't. Had a few scare moments in my last few levels because a fly or a zombie weren't acting like I wanted them too, but I made it through. Honestly expected this to be more troublesome but hey I take it. Missile Boy definitely won't come as easily though, not sure when I find the motivation to tackle that.

I am still only using the kid, so far I haven't really had a level that couldn't be completed with him so I thought I would profit more from limiting myself to a single character. I might have to break with that tradition for Missile Boy because the kid is rather slow at times, but I definitely will never use this cursed flywrench.

Edited by Nighcisama
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Nighcisama said:

Well that was...unexpected. After the first tests on Rapture and Salt Dark to put the levels into categories, I just got Maggot Boy in my first session, even quicker than Brimstone Boy too. The main reason was probably the high number of easy levels thanks to the kid, so once I got a bit used to the two hardest levels, the rest was quite easy. Hardest level was 18 for me, being entirely at the mercy of a gravity sphere will never stop to suck. Level 19 was the other one annoying me, but I got really good at it after grinding it. Most others were either easy or middle, with only number 8 and 15 really having the potential to fuck things up but luckily, they didn't. Had a few scare moments in my last few levels because a fly or a zombie weren't acting like I wanted them too, but I made it through. Honestly expected this to be more troublesome but hey I take it. Missile Boy definitely won't come as easily though, not sure when I find the motivation to tackle that.

I am still only using the kid, so far I haven't really had a level that couldn't be completed with him so I thought I would profit more from limiting myself to a single character. I might have to break with that tradition for Missile Boy because the kid is rather slow at times, but I definitely will never use this cursed flywrench.

Congrats on those two runs :) And I agree, Maggot Boy is easier than it looks. 

To be honest, though, don't stress out too much about Missile Boy supposedly being "hard". I got it without too much trouble, then went on to read everywhere in forums that it's "super hard". Just give it a go and see how it feels. It's definitely easier than the last 3 you have left ? 

I think it's about finding the right character for each level. If you feel confident using The Kid, go ahead. But the "cursed Flywrench" really trivializes many levels, like 3-12x or 3-15x (I HATED Flywrench at first, but ended up loving it for how useful it is)

Also, there are some levels in Salt Dark that I would recommend using Meat Boy (when it needs to go fast) or Ogmo (smaller hitbox, makes 3-6x trivial which is otherwise a real nightmare)... @S_y_n_e_IR_g_Y gave some nice tips in the first post :)

I'd then move on to Zombie Boy, not Girl Boy, since you've been playing with different characters now for the last couple of runs and will need The Kid to make Zombie Boy easier. That way, for the last 2 runs you'll quickly get used to using Meat Boy (well, Bandage Girl..) only and lose the muscle memory of using The Kid. 

Good luck, and keep us updated!

Edited by Arcesus7
  • Like 3

On 7.3.2019 at 8:24 AM, Arcesus7 said:

I'd then move on to Zombie Boy, not Girl Boy, since you've been playing with different characters now for the last couple of runs and will need The Kid to make Zombie Boy easier. That way, for the last 2 runs you'll quickly get used to using Meat Boy (well, Bandage Girl..) only and lose the muscle memory of using The Kid. 

Good luck, and keep us updated!

I won't be trying Zombie Boy. I do not have it in me. I was surprised by how easy I got Brimstone and Maggot Boy, but Missile Boy is more like I imagined it to go, just worse. I know for a fact that I can win against Missile boy, but it needs a proud amount of tries because some levels, mainly the rocket ones, can never be done reliably enough (at least not by me, the rockets just say fuck you too often despite you doing the exact thing that worked the last 3 times). The closest I got was 18/20, ruined by a rocket, first time it ever flew the way it did that time, triggered me so much I wanted to skip Missile Boy for the time being, but Hell dark has the maw launchers, which are even worse in that regard and generally too many unreliable levels. As of now, I have 4 levels that take between 1 and 10 tries each to get them done in Missile Boy, with a 2-5 on average, I do them first and now have the iron rule that no level with rockets is allowed to be in my last 5 levels, but I rarely ever make all 4 insane levels in a row and therefore spend 90% of my time in these, getting more and more frustrated with the way they were designed.

Zombie Boy sadly has one single level that is literally next to impossible to me, I will die over 50 times in a row in this level before I get it once so any ironman attempt is futile from the beginning, same with Impossible Boy, which even has 2 of these levels (never even beaten 7-19x once). So I will get Missile Boy because I already put too much effort into that to just quit without getting it now, I maybe get Demon Boy or even Girl Boy if I can get myself to do it, but since I can't get Zombie or Impossible Boy in any realistic way, my attempts are ultimately in vain anyway so I will probably stop after Missile Boy.

The only way I see myself ever getting further is by having some magic boost in skill, something I do not see happening. Maybe I try playing other games like this, easier ones, and hope for that skill increase to come so I may get back to this thing some day.

Edited by Nighcisama

On 1/28/2019 at 4:53 AM, JohnCenaSong- said:

Whilst yes it could be a cheater, you have to remember that not everyone is playing the game for the first time. If I replayed this on another account my completion time wouldn't be anywhere near as long as when I went in blind... In fact, I was bored one day and started a new save on a new account for something to do and got the 100% in-game completion in one sitting with over half of the no deaths along the way (up to Rapture). And I was just doing it out of boredom. There are other people out there who actually speedrun this game, people who've played it over and over again who could very easily get a platinum in one sitting if they wanted to. And that would be nothing new, I've seen it for other games where people make a new account just to speedrun 1 platinum.

One of the first quick achievers was someone who had played it loads before it launched on PS4. Just because somethings a fast time by a blind players standards doesn't make it chested, not everyone's going in blind. 

Smithy has done Super Meat Boy at least three times if I recall correctly. Also a number of people have played games on one account, completed them, and then played them again on another account with much faster completion times.

That's how I got in the top 5 in fastest achievers in Sonic Mania, because I played through the game already and earned all the trophies on another account before I put the game on my main.

The first guy to get the platinum in Super Meat Boy claims he spent over 100 hours on the PC (Steam) version. Got the platinum in just over two days after earning his first trophy in the game, which is pretty good if you ask me.

8 hours ago, Nighcisama said:

I won't be trying Zombie Boy. I do not have it in me. I was surprised by how easy I got Brimstone and Maggot Boy, but Missile Boy is more like I imagined it to go, just worse. I know for a fact that I can win against Missile boy, but it needs a proud amount of tries because some levels, mainly the rocket ones, can never be done reliably enough (at least not by me, the rockets just say fuck you too often despite you doing the exact thing that worked the last 3 times). The closest I got was 18/20, ruined by a rocket, first time it ever flew the way it did that time, triggered me so much I wanted to skip Missile Boy for the time being, but Hell dark has the mole launchers, which are even worse in that regard and generally too many hard levels. As of now, I have 4 levels that take between 1 and 10 tries each to get them done in Missile Boy, with a 2-5 on average, I do them first and now have the iron rule that no level with rockets is allowed to be in my last 5 levels, but I rarely ever make all 4 insane levels in a row and therefore spend 90% of my time in these, getting more and more frustrated with the way they were designed.

As mentioned, Hell Dark has too many levels that are freaking hard. Never even mind the luck ones with the launchers, even if I managed to get through them by sheer luck one time, even the average levels require so much skill that I probably can't realistically hope to win them all in a row. Zombie Boy sadly has one single level that is literally next to impossible to me, I will die over 50 times in a row in this level before I get it once so any ironman attempt is futile from the beginning, same with Impossible Boy, which even has 2 of these levels. So I will get Missile Boy because I already put too much effort into that to just quit without getting it now, I maybe could get Demon Boy or Girl Boy with the luck that one usually needs to win the lottery, but since I can't get Zombie or Impossible Boy in any realistic way, my attempts are ultimately in vain anyway so I will stop after Missile Boy.

The only way I see myself ever getting further is by having some magic boost in skill, but despite being better than most people I know at these types of games(though that is not saying much) I rarely play them. Maybe I try playing other games like this, easier ones, and hope for that skill increase to come so I may get back to this thing some day.

Hell Dark took me over 12 hours of constant practice and playing the same levels over and over before I finally earned that trophy.

I'm not trying to say it was easy for me because it wasn't. Zombie Boy took the same number of hours for me to pull off.

You are discouraging yourself far too much here. @HOGIE838IRE said it best. Lots of practice and patience are needed.

For some people they can get all the trophies in less than a day. For others it takes them several months if not over a year. Everybody is different.

I could go and say certain games like Shadow Warrior and The Evil Within are too difficult, but I would be doing myself a big disservice because both of those games are solid. Same with Super Meat Boy. It is probably one of the best platformers I have played in my 25+ years of gaming.

There is a 9 month gap between my Hell Dark and Rapture Dark trophies. There will be over a year gap between Rapture Dark and the time I will get Girl Boy. So don't feel too discouraged.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Spaz said:

You are discouraging yourself far too much here. @HOGIE838IRE said it best. Lots of practice and patience are needed.

For some people they can get all the trophies in less than a day. For others it takes them several months if not over a year. Everybody is different.

I know myself better than that, I have been playing games for over 2 decades. I just gave up on Missile Boy too, its currently not doable for me in a realistic manner simple as that. I have a skill cap that I reach quickly by doing the same things and whenever I hit that, things won't get better by repeating the same shit. I have not made any noticeable progress in almost 5 hours of total Missile Boy grind, still averaging the same number of levels, still having 90% of my deaths within the first 4 levels and even if I make it past them by luck, some shitty unpredictable rocket will always fuck me up, there is just too many. Did you know that the rockets of the first launcher in 3-9 can go through the salt walls in the left, come back and kill you? I didn't, because the way I do the map it is REALLY unlikely for that to happen, yet it happened the first time when I was more than halfway through the ironman run, despite doing the exact same jumps for all I can tell, must be a very low chance of that happening. There is no such thing as an easy or guaranteed win in a level that contains a rocket launcher, I praise Super Meat Boy as a really great game with clever programming in almost every regard, but projectiles are unfair bullshit in this game, one of the levels literally is entirely depending on luck because after the first jump I either die or live, with seemingly no logic behind it because I jump at the same time and I land at the exact same spot.

I see no options for me to get better at this point. Doing the same levels, mostly the same 4 levels, has not improved my performance one bit, trying other strategies like using the crappy Flywrench only makes things worse so knowing myself there is no reason to believe that 20 hours or 50 hours will make any difference. I could end up getting lucky at some point, but the number of hours I would have to put in for each new trophy exponentially increases with the difficulty, and more launchers, I probably die of old age before getting there. The ps4 sadly does not have many good platformers I can practice on to maybe increase my skill, only one I can think of is N++, if you have any ideas for other games be free to tell me, but this game is most likely just plain impossible for me to platinum and therefore a dead end. At least my completionist ambition died to a worthy game then, just sad that it was mostly the shitty launchers breaking my neck.

17 minutes ago, Nighcisama said:

I know myself better than that, I have been playing games for over 2 decades. I just gave up on Missile Boy too, its currently not doable for me in a realistic manner simple as that. I have a skill cap that I reach quickly by doing the same things and whenever I hit that, things won't get better by repeating the same shit. I have not made any noticeable progress in almost 5 hours of total Missile Boy grind, still averaging the same number of levels, still having 90% of my deaths within the first 4 levels and even if I make it past them by luck, some shitty unpredictable rocket will always fuck me up, there is just too many. Did you know that the rockets of the first launcher in 3-9 can go through the salt walls in the left, come back and kill you? I didn't, because the way I do the map it is REALLY unlikely for that to happen, yet it happened the first time when I was more than halfway through the ironman run, despite doing the exact same jumps for all I can tell, must be a very low chance of that happening. There is no such thing as an easy or guaranteed win in a level that contains a rocket launcher, I praise Super Meat Boy as a really great game with clever programming in almost every regard, but projectiles are unfair bullshit in this game, one of the levels literally is entirely depending on luck because after the first jump I either die or live, with seemingly no logic behind it because I jump at the same time and I land at the exact same spot.

May I ask, which 4 levels are the ones you mention that are the hardest for you? Because they might be easier with other characters and strategies. For instance, I don't know who you are using for 3-9x (sounds really unlucky what you described there with the missilie coming back through salt), but I find that level is easiest with Ogmo. 

There are a couple of missile levels in Cotton Alley, too, that I always found to be difficult. Luckily the one for Impossible Boy (7-10x I believe) is super easy to do consistently, actually way easier than 7-10, which is a nightmare. 

If you feel like you don't want to continue with this game, that's totally understandable. Still, if it itches you, you can always jump back in for a short session. I never played this game for longer than 1-2h at a time, and found that I would only get worse if I played for longer. It's all about having the right mindset when attempting a no-death run, and accepting that it might take longer than you wish. 

If you decide to keep at it, I think we all would be happy to give whatever advice and tipps we can :)

Edited by Arcesus7
  • Like 2

On 8.3.2019 at 11:44 AM, Arcesus7 said:

May I ask, which 4 levels are the ones you mention that are the hardest for you? Because they might be easier with other characters and strategies. For instance, I don't know who you are using for 3-9x (sounds really unlucky what you described there with the missilie coming back through salt), but I find that level is easiest with Ogmo.

If you feel like you don't want to continue with this game, that's totally understandable. Still, if it itches you, you can always jump back in for a short session. I never played this game for longer than 1-2h at a time, and found that I would only get worse if I played for longer. It's all about having the right mindset when attempting a no-death run, and that it might take longer than you wish. 

If you decide to keep at it, I think we all would be happy to give whatever advice and tipps we can :)

Yeah I was already using Ogmo for 3-9x, this shit with the rocket has not happened to me before or since, but I have a feeling that it could happen again the next time I have a good run, something always does. Ogmo also made levels 3-6x and 3-13x a whole lot easier for me. These two levels were a huge pain in my ass but now they are among the few I never died in so far since using Ogmo.

The levels that fucked me up the most are 3-12x, 3-17x, 3-18x and 3-20x, with 3-18x being the least annoying one among them because while being hard, at least it does not quite as often fuck me up with random shit, though the sawblade shooters sometimes change firing speed on a whim so the blades are no longer in line with each other and therefore more difficult to avoid. I tried using the Flywrench for 3-12x and 3-17x, but that thing is just of no use to me so these two levels are freaking hard with either Meat Boy or The Kid. For 3-20x I will only say one thing, machine gun rocket launcher. Making it through these 4 levels is already kinda rare for me but even if I do, one of the 5 levels coming after it usually gets me despite me being able to get them done a few times in a row before.

Some of these specific levels are 3-8x, 3-10x or 3-19x. They usually go without issues, but sometimes the same jumps I have won the level countless times with just get me killed by rockets, making things difficult because you can't prevend what you can't figure out. If I make it past even them, and I did a few times, then shit like the rocket flying through the salt wall in 3-9x kills what should have been an easy victory. It is just too frustrating and hopeless at this point. I wanted to get at least Missile Boy or maybe even Demon Boy to make more progress before probably succumbing to Zombie Boy or Impossible Boy, but I can't even get far enough to have the platinum within my sight. Guess the fate of Super Meat Boy is to be hidden in my profile eventually after I completed everything else and the incomplete state of it pisses me off too much.

Edit: I am too hard headed for my own good. I kept playing to get Missile Boy, limiting myself to a certain time limit per day until I realized that this would not get me further. I then looked through the entire internet for every shred of information on how to get past the worst levels more easily, actually found some, and tried around for the levels I did not find anything useful for. With the new information and some practice, I got close to making it 3 times but kept dying in the levels I usually could complete 5-10 times in a row. I changed the order around a bit and then today I decided to make a marathon until I had this trophy because I got so close a few times already and really wanted it now. Fast forward multiple hours of switching between indifference and rage, I finally managed to get it done. Took me longer and frustrated me multiple times more than all the other ironman trophies so far combined, how this has almost the same rarity as Maggot Boy is beyond me.

I have no idea whether I should go for Demon Boy or not, there are disgusting launchers in 5 levels and 3 other levels are seriously freaking hard to complete, so probably too much to handle for me. I will limit myself to playing through Hell Dark in normal order 1-2 times per day and try to improve, no pressure or anything. If I see progress to the point of it becoming somewhat possible, I go for it, if not then I will leave it alone.

Edited by Nighcisama

I just got Demon Boy. With that my journey is over. I died exactly 1667 times in total to get Brimstone Boy, Maggot Boy, Missile Boy and Demon Boy. With that I finally cracked the 10.000 death mark for Super Meat Boy. Not sure if that is good or bad, but it sure sounded and felt like a lot. Demon Boy in total was way easier than Missile Boy to me. There were only the 5 insane and 3 hard levels really stopping me from getting it during my first 1-2 hours. I got past these disgusting levels 2 times only to then choke on an easier level in a stupid way, but the third time I made it past them I nailed it. I kept practicing the easier levels for that exact reason, and I think it paid off.

I checked out Girl Boy but I will not go for it. I am sure at this point that I am capable of getting it, but that much energy and frustration for a silver is not worth it if the platinum is not in my reach. Quick check up on Zombie and Impossible Boy reaffirmed to me that getting these will not happen, my skill is just not sufficient at this point. I can maybe see trying to get these at a later date, after I played more platformers and generally got better at them, but nothing in that direction is currently planned so the platinum is on hold indefinitely.

Good luck to anyone still going for it.

Edited by Nighcisama

On 3/13/2019 at 3:30 PM, Nighcisama said:

I just got Demon Boy. With that my journey is over. I died exactly 1667 times in total to get Brimstone Boy, Maggot Boy, Missile Boy and Demon Boy. With that I finally cracked the 10.000 death mark for Super Meat Boy. Not sure if that is good or bad, but it sure sounded and felt like a lot. Demon Boy in total was way easier than Missile Boy to me. There were only the 5 insane and 3 hard levels really stopping me from getting it during my first 1-2 hours. I got past these disgusting levels 2 times only to then choke on an easier level in a stupid way, but the third time I made it past them I nailed it. I kept practicing the easier levels for that exact reason, and I think it paid off.

I checked out Girl Boy but I will not go for it. I am sure at this point that I am capable of getting it, but that much energy and frustration for a silver is not worth it if the platinum is not in my reach. Quick check up on Zombie and Impossible Boy reaffirmed to me that getting these will not happen, my skill is just not sufficient at this point. I can maybe see trying to get these at a later date, after I played more platformers and generally got better at them, but nothing in that direction is currently planned so the platinum is on hold indefinitely.

Good luck to anyone still going for it.

Man, sorry for not replying earlier.. My idea was to re-download the game to play the couple of levels you had some trouble with and try to give some tips, since it has been a while since I got Demon Boy, but you had already gotten the trophy.. congrats! ?

To be honest, forget about deaths... In the end, they really don't matter. And good luck if you decide to come back to this game!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Recently went back to Cotton Alley. 

Aside from the usual stupid mistakes due to nerves and whatnot, the levels giving me trouble are 7-7, 7-10, 7-11, 7-16 and the dreaded 7-20. 

I cannot do those consistently. But I feel Girl Boy is easily within my grasp.

15 hours ago, Spaz said:

Recently went back to Cotton Alley. 

Aside from the usual stupid mistakes due to nerves and whatnot, the levels giving me trouble are 7-7, 7-10, 7-11, 7-16 and the dreaded 7-20. 

I cannot do those consistently. But I feel Girl Boy is easily within my grasp.

Take breaks and don't let it frustrate you. Try not to think too much of getting through every level with no death and just concentrate on getting through the current level. I played them all in order, over and over, and it helped with memorization for me. Working from hard levels down to easier ones I found more annoying. Even an hour a day you'll be amazed at how much better you get! My fingers are crossed for you...

1 hour ago, HOGIE838IRE said:

Take breaks and don't let it frustrate you. Try not to think too much of getting through every level with no death and just concentrate on getting through the current level. I played them all in order, over and over, and it helped with memorization for me. Working from hard levels down to easier ones I found more annoying. Even an hour a day you'll be amazed at how much better you get! My fingers are crossed for you...

7-7 is very hard to do consistently. It’s usually the first level where I die. 

7-10 can be iffy at the end. Sometimes the missile kills before I can reach Meat Boy. 

7-11 is all about timing. But it’s where I die often after I did the first 10 levels without dying. 

7-16 is bullshit. But at least you have plenty of time to quit back to the level select screen. 

7-20 is just long. I think your suggestion works. But I think doing 7-7 and 7-20 first saves you a lot of headache. Because I have died to those small blades more than I care to admit. 

Thank you for the appreciation.

10 hours ago, Spaz said:

7-7 is very hard to do consistently. It’s usually the first level where I die. 

7-10 can be iffy at the end. Sometimes the missile kills before I can reach Meat Boy. 

7-11 is all about timing. But it’s where I die often after I did the first 10 levels without dying. 

7-16 is bullshit. But at least you have plenty of time to quit back to the level select screen. 

7-20 is just long. I think your suggestion works. But I think doing 7-7 and 7-20 first saves you a lot of headache. Because I have died to those small blades more than I care to admit. 

Thank you for the appreciation.

Oh, well if it's only those four levels that are causing trouble, you should have Girl Boy in no time! :)

Lemme see... 

7-20: Yeah, not much to say here. The first part shouldn't be a problem, but getting down the timing for the small sawblades is a pain, so I kept this level in my first 4. You could always practice the timing in 7-20x. Good thing is that mastering this level also helps towards Impossible Boy. 

7-10: Hardest level for me. I don't know, getting the keys is no problem, but making it out of the room is a nightmare. This was my first level, I just couldn't do it consistently. 

7-7: I thought this would always be my first level, but I managed to get this one fairly consistently, and I ended up putting it in my last 10 levels. What you want to do is walk off the edge without sprinting, and as soon as Bandage Girl is above the fan, hold :left: for like half a second, so that she stops moving right and puts herself in position to be propelled back up. As soon as she starts moving upwards, press and hold :right: and sprint at the same time. The good thing is that this way, even if your timing is a bit off, you'll notice quickly whether it's going to work or not so that you can always quit to map. I found this to be so consistent that I didn't even need to quit to map after some practice. The rest of the level shouldn't be a problem. 

7-11: I saw many runs where this level would be among the last ones, and I simply didn't understand what I was missing.. I just couldn't do it.. like, at all. But, once I started counting how many times I need to go right before the first jump (4), how to move back and forth in the air etc. my hands started doing this one automatically. Similar to level 7-13 and 7-13x this is a super fast level but can get you in the zone and can be done after a while without even thinking about what's happening. I ended up having this one in my last 5 levels. Just keep at it!

Good luck!

Edited by Arcesus7

Girl Boy is finally under my belt.

Took around 14 - 15 hours of constant practice over the course of two months or so.

Easily one of the most stress inducing, nerve wrecking things I ever had to do in my entire gaming life.

I have grown a few new grey hairs...

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Spaz said:

Girl Boy is finally under my belt.

Took around 14 - 15 hours of constant practice over the course of two months or so.

Easily one of the most stress inducing, nerve wrecking things I ever had to do in my entire gaming life.

I have grown a few new grey hairs...

Congratulations! Only Impossible Boy now. A lot of the levels in this are easier than Girl Boy. Level 20 sure is. Let the saw blade that comes down go past so you don't need to rush through it. The tighter corridors are at the beginning now so it's much easier to not mess up. Level 19 was the hardest for me, I could never do it in one go, took several attempts to pass it each time but practice really does make perfect. You've got this now - there's no way you can give up!!

• Like 1