Tips for Missile, Demon, Zombie, Girl and Impossible Boy

S_y_n_e_IR_g_Y

5 hours ago, Spaz said:

Girl Boy is finally under my belt.

Took around 14 - 15 hours of constant practice over the course of two months or so.

Easily one of the most stress inducing, nerve wrecking things I ever had to do in my entire gaming life.

I have grown a few new grey hairs...

Congratz, how would you compare girl and zombie boy difficulty wise? I earned girl boy a while ago and am currently working on zombie boy. 

Edited by ashtonrece29

9 hours ago, ashtonrece29 said:

Congratz, how would you compare girl and zombie boy difficulty wise? I earned girl boy a while ago and am currently working on zombie boy. 

Personally, I found Zombie Boy to be the hardest of them all. Once I beat that I knew I could complete the game.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ashtonrece29 said:

I have to agree with @HOGIE838IRE to some extent. Between Girl Boy and Zombie Boy I'd say Zombie Boy is slightly harder. I don't agree with Zombie Boy being harder than Impossible Boy though ? But that comes down to details, really. 

So I've accumulated close to 2000 deaths just going through the motions in Dark Cotton Alley.

I'm going to break this down and pinpoint my struggles with all 20 levels, which is by far the most difficult in all of Super Meat Boy. Impossible Boy makes Girl Boy look easy.

7-1X White Noise - Easy level compared to most of the rest. Most difficult part is jumping around the sawblade, catching the wall, jumping to the wall on the other side, jump over and around the sawblade, and reach Meat Boy. With practice this shouldn't be bad.

7-2X Flipside - You're likely to develop a sore thumb if you practice this for a hour or so.

There is no leeway or anything to help you this time. You have to jump and dodge sawblades all the way to the end, and that involves jumping on the upper part of the level which is easily the most difficult. Relies entirely on good timing, and it's very easy to die here.

7-3X Organ Grinder - Not bad once you know what to do. Jump two times in succession, pause a bit, stick to the right wall and you should eventually make it to Meat Boy.

7-4X The Tower - Involves a lot of studying the blades, but like 7-3X is one of the easier levels of the 20. YouTube guides help show you what path to take.

7-5X Waiting Room - Another of the easier ones, but a lot more involved than 7-5 was in Light Cotton Alley. Done with enough patience, providing you don't make a mistake.

7-6X Bone Machine - Getting enough height to jump over that one sawblade is very difficult. You are racing against time as the blocks disappear before you. A lot more difficult than 7-3X and 7-4X.

It's difficult to get up to Meat Boy in time.

7-7X Going Up - You thought 7-7 in Light Cotton Alley was bullshit? This is several times worse.

The Magic Pixel level, and the first level where I struggle constantly. My reaction skills are too slow to see the sawblades above me, and it's very careful usage of moving back and forth. Very difficult to pin down.

7-8X In Line - Not as hard as it looks, but I often die trying to get back after retrieving the key. The Red Blobs aren't a complete square, as part of their backs slant down and left, which makes for an easy death.

7-9X Salt Shaker - Hard to do consistently, but not as bad as 7-7X. I find using the left stick is much better than using the d-pad. Holding left as your going up the ramp is difficult.

7-10X Masterblaster - Getting Missile Boy and Zombie Boy helps you prepare for this level. Not too hard, just remember to jump to avoid the missiles going towards you.

7-11X Thumb - The missile from 7-11 in Light Cotton Alley was removed and replaced with another set of sawblades behind you in addition to the sawblades in front. You are boxed in.

Easy to get through 2/3rds of the level, until you have to go up and under just before you reach Meat Boy. The saw machines on the ceiling don't help at all, and this is where I usually die to the moving sawblades behind me.

Otherwise it's not that bad.

7-12X Pink - A harder version of one of the levels you had to do in Dark Salt Factory. This one is all about knowing where to jump and positioning yourself. Thankfully this is one of the easier levels.

7-13X Bleach - Very easy to screw up and die in this one.

You can take two shortcuts, one at the very beginning and one at the very end. The first shortcut saves you some time from the acid, the second shortcut is just after that very tricky sawblade.

That tricky sawblade is shit. You have to barely tap the jump button and go over it. Otherwise this is very much like 7-11 in Light Cotton Alley, only more self contained and with a lot more sawblades.

Lots of practice is needed for this level.

7-14X 20/20 - Bullshit design, bullshit enemies, and some very extreme and precise jumping to grab the key and get across.

One of the worst levels in the set. You have to jump and make precise platforming on blocks that are smaller than the Question Mark boxes in Super Mario Brothers. You have to be very quick to grab the key and get to the other side.

Absolutely hate this level, and definitely one of the hardest.

7-15X Patience - Bullshit design, bullshit enemies, and in addition, very inconsistent.

The left maw SOMETIMES kills me even if I jump from the exact same positions. So it's not consistent. But it's a matter of timing and patience, which is self explanatory. Jumping to get into cover from the central maw.

Not as bad as 20/20, but still awful.

7-16X Curls - One of the easier levels.

Really not much difference between this and 7-16 in Light Cotton Alley. At least you can quit out easily when you feel you messed up, which I can't say for any of the other levels.

7-17X Bullet Proof - Not too terrible once you know what path to take. The pattern can be quite jarring at first.

Can probably save this level for last.

7-18X They Bite - No real platforming this time, but the 'floaters', like the maws in 7-15X, are not consistent.

The idea is to gather them all in a clump and have them up high above your screen. Mostly a matter of patience, and a level I can probably do eventually without much trouble.

7-19X Xoxo - One of the worst levels, if not THE worst level of the set.

2/3rds of the level aren't bad at all. It's the LAST portion where you have to make extremely tight jumps. One of the tightest jumps I've ever seen in a platforming game. And I cannot for the life of me do them consistently.

As a matter of fact, I only beat this level once.

7-20X Brag Rights - This time you're going from top to bottom rather than bottom to top, which in a way is good because you have the small sawblades at the beginning rather than at the end.

Pretty much identical to 7-20 in Light Cotton Alley. The sawblades that gradually come down from the top aren't much of a threat, as you have plenty of time to stop and make your jumps.

===

That's all I have for now. A small handful of easier levels, a few levels that will require a lot of practice, and a couple levels that are just absolute bullshit.

And I wouldn't doubt that of all the no death runs, Impossible Boy is going to be the most time consuming.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Arcesus7 said:

I have to agree with @HOGIE838IRE to some extent. Between Girl Boy and Zombie Boy I'd say Zombie Boy is slightly harder. I don't agree with Zombie Boy being harder than Impossible Boy though 1f605.png But that comes down to details, really. 

I do agree with you but because most of the levels are quite similar in cotton alley once you beat girl boy then impossible boy doesn’t seem as difficult. It definitely took me longer to beat zombie boy and that was the most time I was preparing to give it up.

It is personal experience though, everyone is different...

I referenced these notes a lot to beat the dark world and get the Golden God trophy. Now my only no death runs remaining are Demon Boy, Zombie Boy, Girl Boy, and Impossible Boy, so I imagine I’ll be on here a lot. Thank you for putting this together! 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I feel like I'm close to missle boy. I have inconsistency in level 6 (7?), with the salt shaft and the conveyers, level 17 And level 18.... But besides those I'm consistent in most everything else. A attempt typically for me starts with levels 17-20, 6-16, 1-5... 

After missle boy I'll stop delaying and finish up the base game (which is pretty simple to do I think...) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2019 at 2:45 PM, Dreggit said:

I feel like I'm close to missle boy. I have inconsistency in level 6 (7?), with the salt shaft and the conveyers, level 17 And level 18.... But besides those I'm consistent in most everything else. A attempt typically for me starts with levels 17-20, 6-16, 1-5... 

After missle boy I'll stop delaying and finish up the base game (which is pretty simple to do I think...) 

Use Ogmo for 3-6X if you aren’t already. He has a smaller hitbox and won’t get wrecked on the salt while going up.  3-17X sucks but is easier with Flywrench since you can ride the inside of the platforms. 

The rest of the base game is tough, but it looks like you beat the Kid warp zone, and it doesn’t get that much harder than that until the later no death runs. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Arcesus7 said:

Thanks for sharing! Unfortunately, this is nothing new and was even mentioned by the OP :)

Good luck with your runs!

Oh... :facepalm: Don't mind me, I'm an idiot

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5.06.2019 at 4:52 AM, Spaz said:

Why are there a fuck ton of people getting the platinum now?

True, it's annoying, there was more than dozen of achievers in may.

+ bunch of alt accounts with SMB as the only/one of few plats (while a great feat to do this plat two times, it fakingly increase rarity percentage)

+ cheaters are removed, but counter still shows 363 platinum achievers (if you go to 100%/Platinum Club list you'll find only 359, and one user is now qualified to remove, so 358 will be the correct number)

But I would say this is still the platinum worth getting, such low platinum percentage is still too good to ignore.

3 minutes ago, Spinosaurus Rex said:

True, it's annoying, there was more than dozen of achievers in may.

+ bunch of alt accounts with SMB as the only/one of few plats (while a great feat to do this plat two times, it fakingly increase rarity percentage)

+ cheaters are removed, but counter still shows 363 platinum achievers (if you go to 100%/Platinum Club list you'll find only 359, and one user is now qualified to remove, so 358 will be the correct number)

But I would say this is still the platinum worth getting, such low platinum percentage is still too good to ignore.

I flagged 4-5 players about yesterday, they will be removed for sure since it was obvious cheating.

I don't know what's up with all those countless people that have a completion time of 3 years 7 months. They have like 1 trophy from back in 2015 and suddenly the next trophiy is some no-death run almost four years later. But nothing to do there, I mean, who knows, maybe it's all legit. 

But yeah lots of accounts for practice (I guess practice for fastest achiever or whatever). I guess also people that have played the game on PC. 

Edited by Arcesus7
  • Like 1

The cheaters are obvious with their 15 second platinum times.

But there are two accounts I see that just have the default avatar that you get when you make an account. A number of accounts with the platinum just have Super Meat Boy done.

Whether they played this game before it was released or not I'm not sure. But I know the first guy who got the platinum had admitted to playing the game before so him getting it done within a couple days is pretty reasonable.

• Like 1

I am at a loss as to how some people get the platinum for this game in such a short time. Won't name names here but some of them look extremely suspicious with SMB being the only platinum they have.

It took me several days just to get Missile Boy with breaks in between. If someone got entire platinum done legit in less than 24hrs then hats off.

As for myself, I think I'm going to take a break from SMB for now for sanity's sake. Like many had warned, the difficulty ramped up a lot at salt factory dark and it most likely won't get any easier with the next one...

Edited by jaehyun1009

13 minutes ago, jaehyun1009 said:

I am at a loss as to how some people get the platinum for this game in such a short time. Won't name names here but some of them look extremely suspicious with SMB being the only platinum they have.

It took me several days just to get Missile Boy with breaks in between. If someone got entire platinum done legit in less than 24hrs then hats off.

As for myself, I think I'm going to take a break from SMB for now for sanity's sake. Like many had warned, the difficulty ramped up a lot at salt factory dark and it most likely won't get any easier with the next one...

Demon Boy is very similiar in difficulty as Missile Boy, but taking a break is a good idea, it's not like you gonna be executed if you don't do it immediately.

The thing about these short 100% times is, even if you have an experience from Steam version (which is slightly longer, but the hardest task is the same), doing 100% on PSN AGAIN is just soul crushing. I've done 100% on Steam five times faster than here, because game was fresh for me and the soundtrack was kickass (PSN version OST is decent, but not comparable, sorry), so I had much more motivation to do so. When I started working on Girl Boy on PSN on 4th day, I just put the controller and think to myself "nope, I just can't do it in such short timespan". Doing the whole game in one day (or even a week) without taking a longer break even with a prior experience requires incredible dedication.