Tips for Missile, Demon, Zombie, Girl and Impossible Boy

S_y_n_e_IR_g_Y

6 hours ago, Spaz said:

I don’t think you’ll find a whole lot trophy wise that can compare to Super Meat Boy in terms of sheer difficulty. There’s stuff like Necrodancer but that is every bit as extreme and strenuous as it gets. 

Racing games like Gran Turismo Sport and fighting games like Super Street Fighter IV I’m no good at. Everyone has their strengths. I’m good at platformers. Some people are horrible at them. 

Yeah that’s true. Super Meat Boy relies tremendously on muscle memory. You can go 15 levels, forget one little detail that ends up being your death, and you start all over. You will also fail at levels you pulled off flawlessly several times either due to pressure or you got a bit overconfident. Impossible Boy is by far the hardest no death run. Girl Boy in comparison is rather easy. 

In conclusion you need to keep at it. But I am fully aware that many people give up on this game because they don’t have the dedication required to get better and master the levels.

Oh I definitely acknowledge there aren't many solid comparisons to SMB in terms of extreme difficulty, though I do have 100% in the Vita version of Sine Mora, so I've conquered some brutal challenges as well. Like you say, everyone has their strengths, but it's just a matter of dealing with challenges in a sustainable way, because it's probably going to take a while. It might take longer than some others, but I'm convinced anybody can plat any game given enough time and dedication (with the exception of ones that involve skillful online trophies, since you can't control how others play or server closures). I personally really enjoy challenging games and the sense of accomplishment from finishing something truly crazy, but I'm also not the kind of person who can demolish something hard in a few days like some people. I tend to work on hard games slowly over a period of years before finally pulling the trigger and dedicating to finish it off.

I guess all I'm saying is, I know you might feel discouraged and on the verge of quitting, but it'd be a shame if you stopped for good after getting so close. Take a break, recharge, and just slowly chip away at it while not trying to stress about it too much until you feel ready to sit down and give it a serious weekend. You've got this.

9 hours ago, Solarus755 said:

Oh I definitely acknowledge there aren't many solid comparisons to SMB in terms of extreme difficulty, though I do have 100% in the Vita version of Sine Mora, so I've conquered some brutal challenges as well. Like you say, everyone has their strengths, but it's just a matter of dealing with challenges in a sustainable way, because it's probably going to take a while. It might take longer than some others, but I'm convinced anybody can plat any game given enough time and dedication (with the exception of ones that involve skillful online trophies, since you can't control how others play or server closures). I personally really enjoy challenging games and the sense of accomplishment from finishing something truly crazy, but I'm also not the kind of person who can demolish something hard in a few days like some people. I tend to work on hard games slowly over a period of years before finally pulling the trigger and dedicating to finish it off.

I guess all I'm saying is, I know you might feel discouraged and on the verge of quitting, but it'd be a shame if you stopped for good after getting so close. Take a break, recharge, and just slowly chip away at it while not trying to stress about it too much until you feel ready to sit down and give it a serious weekend. You've got this.

You sound like an older brother I never had. 

Yeah, I completely understand. I’ve tackled hard games in the past long before I became a trophy hunter. 

19 hours ago, Spaz said:

I don’t think you’ll find a whole lot trophy wise that can compare to Super Meat Boy in terms of sheer difficulty. There’s stuff like Necrodancer but that is every bit as extreme and strenuous as it gets. 

Racing games like Gran Turismo Sport and fighting games like Super Street Fighter IV I’m no good at. Everyone has their strengths. I’m good at platformers. Some people are horrible at them. 

Yeah that’s true. Super Meat Boy relies tremendously on muscle memory. You can go 15 levels, forget one little detail that ends up being your death, and you start all over. You will also fail at levels you pulled off flawlessly several times either due to pressure or you got a bit overconfident. Impossible Boy is by far the hardest no death run. Girl Boy in comparison is rather easy. 

In conclusion you need to keep at it. But I am fully aware that many people give up on this game because they don’t have the dedication required to get better and master the levels.

Yeah, absolutely. There is very little natural skill required for any of these, just the time and putting in the effort to do it. I have always been average at best at games and most people could probably easily (in terms of time investment) do some of these difficult games if they actually tried or played the game for more than a few hours. I find it mentally numbing to play some difficult videogames for extended periods of time (especially ones where there is no in-game progression and you simply must practice until you succeed), but despite little to no natural skill at gaming could easily have 1,500 ultra rares or more if I started earlier, didn't take so many months/year long breaks, and actually had the drive to play some of these difficult games (some difficult games just draw me in and they seem a lot easier, when in reality it's just that I'm more driven to play and improve). 

If you've ever taken a look at global trophy statistics, the overwhelming majority of people simply do not play and complete their games, let alone try for any challenges or trophies. But typically once people start going for them, they achieve them. Just look at pretty much any game that has a series of progressively hard challenges and the percentage difference between them is very small despite the difficulty gap between them being very large. For example, Arcade Hard vs. Arcade Very Hard in Bleed, Girl Boy vs. Impossible Boy in Super Meat Boy, Major vs. General of the Air Force in Sine Mora, Black Canyon vs. Platinum in Trackmania Turbo, S rank in Furi vs. S rank in Furier in Furi, etc. I would welcome trophies that only actually skilled players could get, but it seems there are very little, even in the most hardcore and niche of games. 

That being said, Super Meat Boy was probably near the top of my abilities, if not in skill then in mind-numbing tedium and frustration and how much I am willing to endure for a damned trophy. I took a few months break from gaming just because it was not enjoyable but I didn't really want to give up after investing time in it. I have a love-hate feeling toward the game, but ultimately I do think the experience was worth it and I think that whether it's videogames or another area in life, taking the easy way out and just seeking cheap thrills and hopping from one new AAA release to the other and just going about things in the most shallow and vapid way leads to short term happiness but long term burnout and emptiness, and honestly I would probably just be playing online multiplayer games (mainly League) if not for trophies. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, machaesthetic said:

If you've ever taken a look at global trophy statistics, the overwhelming majority of people simply do not play and complete their games, let alone try for any challenges or trophies. But typically once people start going for them, they achieve them. Just look at pretty much any game that has a series of progressively hard challenges and the percentage difference between them is very small despite the difficulty gap between them being very large. For example, Arcade Hard vs. Arcade Very Hard in Bleed, Girl Boy vs. Impossible Boy in Super Meat Boy, Major vs. General of the Air Force in Sine Mora, Black Canyon vs. Platinum in Trackmania Turbo, S rank in Furi vs. S rank in Furier in Furi, etc. I would welcome trophies that only actually skilled players could get, but it seems there are very little, even in the most hardcore and niche of games. 

Interesting to look at things this way... :) but we are talking about very few people actually even trying to go for those trophies...  Let's talk absolute numbers instead of percentages: 

• Super Meat Boy: I would say a fair comparison would be #players that have Demon Boy (539) vs. #players with platinum (374) --> "Only" two in three players that have Demon Boy also have the platinum. And for a game tha thas been out since 2015, 375 is a very low number I'd argue. 

• Trackmania Turbo: Also here, the first real difficulty spike is the Red Series... But even if we compare #players that completed the Red Series (2245) vs #players with platinum (807)... Well, only one of every three players that unlocked the black series really pushed through :) (we actually only know how many got silver in all red tracks, not gold.. but more or less) 

• Trials Fusion: The second rarest trophy is for completing some Full Throttle challenges... #players that got that one (1865) vs. #players that got the rarest trophy (279)... 

And that's all without accounting for cheaters. 

I fully agree with your statement that most games can be completed by anyone that simply has the patience to go for it. I mean, in this very thread there is one guy that got the SMB plat with over 65k deaths, and that really shows that just keeping at it sooner or later results in success. But depending on your own skills, you'll finish certain "hard" games quicker, or struggle more than other players.

Personally, I didn't have such a hard time with SMB, but was really pushed to my limits with Trackmania Turbo and I'm sure that Trials Fusion will kick my ass as well. Anyone that has played racing games growing up will have a much easier time with TMT than I did, you included, judging by your ridiculously short completion time ? 

Edited by Arcesius
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, machaesthetic said:

Yeah, absolutely. There is very little natural skill required for any of these, just the time and putting in the effort to do it. I have always been average at best at games and most people could probably easily (in terms of time investment) do some of these difficult games if they actually tried or played the game for more than a few hours. I find it mentally numbing to play some difficult videogames for extended periods of time (especially ones where there is no in-game progression and you simply must practice until you succeed), but despite little to no natural skill at gaming could easily have 1,500 ultra rares or more if I started earlier, didn't take so many months/year long breaks, and actually had the drive to play some of these difficult games (some difficult games just draw me in and they seem a lot easier, when in reality it's just that I'm more driven to play and improve). 

I was never good. I’m just more patient than most. 

As a kid Super Mario Bros 3 was difficult for me, but that game was relatively easy compared to most of the NES library where the difficulty was based on outright unfairness and bullshit mechanics rather than a fair challenge. Meat Boy is the latter. But back then, you were at a roadblock until you finally got better. As you can imagine, most kids including myself didn’t get far. 

I honestly think going for 1500 Ultra Rares is pointless. Anyone who gets that many, I tip my hat to them. But it doesn’t make any one gamer better than anyone else. 

If you've ever taken a look at global trophy statistics, the overwhelming majority of people simply do not play and complete their games, let alone try for any challenges or trophies. But typically once people start going for them, they achieve them. Just look at pretty much any game that has a series of progressively hard challenges and the percentage difference between them is very small despite the difficulty gap between them being very large.

There is nothing on my profile that comes close to truly becoming difficult apart from Super Meat Boy.

I could definitely get a lot more rare trophies and games that are hard if I really wanted. But my main strength is simply doing my best to complete the vast majority of my games. Even if a game has a shit ton of DLC like DRIVECLUB.

Plenty of guys took three years to finish Meat Boy, so I’m not too much in a hurry. I’m currently on a week long vacation and will probably get back on it this coming week. 

That being said, Super Meat Boy was probably near the top of my abilities, if not in skill then in mind-numbing tedium and frustration and how much I am willing to endure for a damned trophy. I took a few months break from gaming just because it was not enjoyable but I didn't really want to give up after investing time in it. I have a love-hate feeling toward the game, but ultimately I do think the experience was worth it and I think that whether it's videogames or another area in life, taking the easy way out and just seeking cheap thrills and hopping from one new AAA release to the other and just going about things in the most shallow and vapid way leads to short term happiness but long term burnout and emptiness, and honestly I would probably just be playing online multiplayer games (mainly League) if not for trophies. 

I stay far away from League. MOBAs like League and DOTA 2 have some of the most toxic people, but you can argue that for any competitive multiplayer.

On 15.08.2019 at 8:13 AM, Spaz said:

I'm aware of the levels quite well thank you very much.

It's just a matter of beating them all without dying. Still struggling to do that, but I'm consistently getting to 13 - 15 levels without dying. I just had a run end when I had only two easy levels left. Died on a part I've done thousands of times, no idea what the hell happened there.

Every time that happens I just leave the game for a bit and play something else.

Maybe this is the reason why you still can't get it?

Abandoning a game for longer period of time, while a good way to keep the sanity, also can make you forget a bit how to play the game and you must re-learn it again. By the time you re-learn it, it can make you frustrate again and so on.

Maybe it's a lame advice, but it worked for me: when you decide to return to SMB:

• beat all the levels one time and keep returning to the game every day just for one try for Impossible Boy, even if you don't feel like it. When I got it, I didn't even expect to get it this day, yet every level went so smoothly, and I didn't even had to use "exit to map" exploit. I was sick of seeing this game, but kept trying day after day, but only once to not let frustration take over.
  • play on Vita, smaller screen works wonder, at least for me, d-pad and buttons feels better; the same was with Velocity 2X (not even counting touchscreen for teleporting the ship; it just felt easier because you could focus more on the game).

You've completed quite a lot of games I didn't have patience to do, including Crash or Sonic Mania, so this is definitely in your grasp. When I first started Super Meat Boy, I had almost no experience with hard 2D platformers and I was scared of difficulty spike of Hospital Light World (!).

• Like 1

On 9/7/2019 at 3:18 PM, Spinosaurus Rex said:

Abandoning a game for longer period of time, while a good way to keep the sanity, also can make you forget a bit how to play the game and you must re-learn it again. By the time you re-learn it, it can make you frustrate again and so on.

I've done the levels enough times to basically jump right back into them, even if I haven't touched them in over a month.

If I can't make it through within 2 - 3 hours then I generally get frustrated and have to find something else. I don't have the patience to do a task 5 - 10+ hours only to fail over and over and over. I had to endure that for the last few no death runs excluding Impossible Boy. If I feel truly determined then I can go for several hours. But there's only so much I can take.

Maybe it's a lame advice, but it worked for me: when you decide to return to SMB:

• beat all the levels one time and keep returning to the game every day just for one try for Impossible Boy, even if you don't feel like it. When I got it, I didn't even expect to get it this day, yet every level went so smoothly, and I didn't even had to use "exit to map" exploit. I was sick of seeing this game, but kept trying day after day, but only once to not let frustration take over.
  • play on Vita, smaller screen works wonder, at least for me, d-pad and buttons feels better; the same was with Velocity 2X (not even counting touchscreen for teleporting the ship; it just felt easier because you could focus more on the game).

• Only two or three levels still give me problems. Namely 7-20X due to it's length, 7-14X because of the specific pattern you have to take and 7-18X. 7-18X isn't that bad once you get the hang of it, but you have to know what you're doing because those Oobs don't always cooperate.
  • I don't think there's that much of a difference between the PS4 and Vita. The Vita version of Velocity 2X made those Dual Core DLC levels much easier, if I only had a PS4 they would of been a lot more difficult. Really I think it depends on your preference, but that's just my opinion.

You've completed quite a lot of games I didn't have patience to do, including Crash or Sonic Mania, so this is definitely in your grasp. When I first started Super Meat Boy, I had almost no experience with hard 2D platformers and I was scared of difficulty spike of Hospital Light World (!).

Crash and Sonic Mania are much easier games. Crash Bandicoot has those Time Trials which a lot of people can't seem to do. The only truly difficult ones were The High Road, which is more bullshit than difficult, and Stormy Ascent, which is a long and hard level in it's own right. The faster running and extra jump in Crash Bandicoot 2 and Crash Bandicoot: Warped respectively make the Time Trials easier, but still pose enough of a challenge to be satisfying.

Sonic Mania has those Golden Medallions, the speedrun trophy and going through an entire portion of a level without getting hit. Nothing really difficult but they all require a bit of time to pull off. I did the Golden Medallions first so I can get a fast completion time, managed to get everything in just over four hours. The speedrun trophy is just a matter of what route to take, and the trophy for not getting hit is a bit of trial and error.

I played a lot of 2-D platfomers on the Sega Genesis and NES/SNES growing up, so they're not exactly new to me. The problem back then was the shitty mechanics and unfair difficulty a lot of 2-D platforming games had. If you've seen old episodes of the Angry Video Game Nerd you will get a pretty good idea of how frustrating those old 8 bit/16 bit games were.

18 hours ago, Spaz said:

I've done the levels enough times to basically jump right back into them, even if I haven't touched them in over a month.

If I can't make it through within 2 - 3 hours then I generally get frustrated and have to find something else. I don't have the patience to do a task 5 - 10+ hours only to fail over and over and over. I had to endure that for the last few no death runs excluding Impossible Boy. If I feel truly determined then I can go for several hours. But there's only so much I can take.

If you really can be occupied for 2-3 hours straight, then I cannot say anything more than congratulate the patience. After mastering the levels I was sick of Dark Cotton Alley after 10 minutes (2, maybe 3 tries and no more). But the most important thing is that returning every day for these 10 minutes helped me finally achieve it. At least it's not a big time investment daily, unlike stupid trophy in Bound about completing the game in 65 minutes with all that stupid shards where you miss one and must start from scratch. And I'm not even mentioning Mein Leben in Wolfenstein II.

18 hours ago, Spaz said:
  • Only two or three levels still give me problems. Namely 7-20X due to it's length, 7-14X because of the specific pattern you have to take and 7-18X. 7-18X isn't that bad once you get the hang of it, but you have to know what you're doing because those Oobs don't always cooperate.

I know this basically inside out. You have problem with one/two levels, so you do them first... Then mess up in level you thought you know perfectly because the adrenaline kicks in. But there will come the moment when you're finally are able to beat every level without dying, even under the stress. Just as while achieving Girl Boy. Trying over and over is just the only way, either twice a day or 3 hours straight (but I still prefer the first option). You probably heard all that, but there's no other way to get this. I also liked to watch videos on youtube with commentary about Iron Man runs or read some comforting guides on Steam after unsuccessful attempts, it gave quite a bit of motivation too.

18 hours ago, Spaz said:

Sonic Mania has those Golden Medallions, the speedrun trophy and going through an entire portion of a level without getting hit. Nothing really difficult but they all require a bit of time to pull off. I did the Golden Medallions first so I can get a fast completion time, managed to get everything in just over four hours. The speedrun trophy is just a matter of what route to take, and the trophy for not getting hit is a bit of trial and error.

These three trophies are vastly different in difficulty in my opinion. The one for beating Titanic Monarch Act 1 without being hit is about patience, but with Chaos Emerald invicibility power is pretty easy; the one for speedrun was a bit frustrating and was much about execution, but with a guide how to play the level fast it was very doable (albeit still easy to screw up because of all these springs everywhere), and the golden medallions is the thing that's keeping me from the 100% the game. Even video guide doesn't help much as I have a feeling that speed of these increases even in pause menu.

I'm not surprised it's UR trophy now (but it wouldn't be without the PS+). And when I saw a lot of people voting 3/10 for the difficulty of the game where for me it was 4/10 even without getting golden medallions, I started to think that my patience just suck. Or maybe these was votes from people with experience with Sonic on Genesis. Good game anyway, and also my first 2D Sonic game. On the other hand, Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 on PS3 (HD ports from Dreamcast and great games by the way, spent quite a lot of time as a kid with them. It's just the newest 3D Sonic stuff from Sega is mediocre) were rated 5/10 in difficulty here on PSNP, and yet I think they're much easier to complete than Sonic Mania. So I guess where you stand depends on where you sit.

18 hours ago, Spaz said:

I played a lot of 2-D platfomers on the Sega Genesis and NES/SNES growing up, so they're not exactly new to me. The problem back then was the shitty mechanics and unfair difficulty a lot of 2-D platforming games had. If you've seen old episodes of the Angry Video Game Nerd you will get a pretty good idea of how frustrating those old 8 bit/16 bit games were.

This guy is just a legend and always makes me smile, no matter which video I watch, especially about his nemesis Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde. I also like the fact he's playing more modern games recently (he played Life of Black Tiger on PS4 last month, this was hilarious). But he also said one golden sentence in video about Silver Surfer: "There's really no point in going on. It's not like there's a reward, a pile of gold sitting on top of the TV". It just says a lot about torturing yourself through the game you don't have fun with just for the sake of completion.

I was a "spoiled" gamer by the N64 era where games was very generous in checkpoints and difficulty. Platformers like Super Mario 64, Banjo-Kazooie or Donkey Kong 64 maybe had few hard levels, but it's nothing compared to beating most NES games. I never thought before I could stand a chance in game like SMB, so you should just keep trying man.

Edited by Spinosaurus Rex

• 4 months later...

Short piece of information regarding hell dark level 20.

during the second „stage“ within that level, i.e. the section with the lava orbs flying up and down it is possible to make this part ridiculously easy. All you have to do is wait ~15 seconds. After a while, the second orb will not fly up anymore, making it very easy to dodge orbs 1&3 respectively.

I realized that while I was trying to figure out a jumping pattern. Hope this helps someone :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JIVe_____ said:

In 7-16X there are vertical invisible barriers you can walljump on that extend underneath the beginning and ending platforms, it literally saved my life as it was my last level in my run. You can even go slightly offscreen and it won’t register as a death, as long as you’re quick enough.

Here’s a video of my run for reference (check out that nail-biting ending)

You madman almost did the run in the original 1-20 order ? Congrats, really clean execution! A death on 7-16X would have been heartbreaking... 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Arcesius said:

You madman almost did the run in the original 1-20 order 1f604.png Congrats, really clean execution! A death on 7-16X would have been heartbreaking... 

Thanks! All those weeks of practice finally paid off ? My soul would’ve been crushed if I died there, but I was lucky enough to have watched a tips video where they mentioned the invisible wall lol! I’ll be joining you in that platinum club soon sir ?

• Like 4

On 19-1-2020 at 3:05 AM, JIVe_____ said:

In 7-16X there are vertical invisible barriers you can walljump on that extend underneath the beginning and ending platforms, it literally saved my life as it was my last level in my run. You can even go slightly offscreen and it won’t register as a death, as long as you’re quick enough.

Here’s a video of my run for reference (check out that nail-biting ending)

Holy shit, my heart skipped a beat at that last jump lol. This is the reason I'm keeping this level in the first half of my run haha

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Dzware said:

Holy shit, my heart skipped a beat at that last jump lol. This is the reason I'm keeping this level in the first half of my run haha

Yeah, leaving 7-16 for last is crazy! I think it's the one I had less consistent runs in because of how precise you need to be, no way I'd ever leave it for last

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dzware said:

Finally got the plat as well myself! :D

I first tried to do Impossible Boy in tiny sections, like: 19-20, 1, 7-9, 13-18 etc..

But after a while of practicing levels 19 and 20 so many times, I actually got pretty consistent with them and managed to get the iron man in the following order: 5-9, 13-20, 10-12, 1-4.

Only needed like 2 tries with this order lol

congratz! Now delete it and you will have 500 MB free space again ?

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Jasko_SOA said:

congratz! Now delete it and you will have 500 MB free space again 1f602.png

Thanks!

And nah, I think I'm gonna keep it, I actually really like this game. Now I can just enjoy it without worrying about trophies lol

• Like 3

A little hint for dark rapture level 9:

In case these zombies don´t want to "cooperate": Carefully approach them and when you see that you got their attention you can change your character. Doing this, the game remembers that you got their attention and they will now cooperate. I was dumb enough to leave level 9 as my last level for the zombie boy trophy, had to change the character 4 times since these damn bas***ds did not want to chase me. Luckily everything turned out fine in the end.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/2/2020 at 2:34 AM, samuel_hsc said:

I was training for Girl Boy and then found this trick. I assume this is well known by the community, since is easy to perform, but I haven't seen anyone mentioning it. It doesn't help at a lot of stages though.

Hide contents

Gawd that looks complicated! Easier just to learn the level... no?

On 22.2.2020 at 0:49 AM, samuel_hsc said:

For what I've seen, this only works on levels 7-3, 7-4 and 7-3x, but maybe there's more to this trick than I know. Perhaps it's useful for someone.

gz on getting the girl boy trophy! did the trick let you do any levels in an easier way during your no death run or did you end up doing the trophy without?

Edited by Jasko_SOA
typo
  • Like 1

On 28/02/2020 at 1:47 AM, Jasko_SOA said:

gz on getting the girl boy trophy! did the trick let you do any levels in an easier way during your no death run or did you end up doing the trophy Tithout?

Thanks! I did use it, It helps a bit on the pattern of level 7-3 (specially the second jump) and level 7-4 (you don't have to wait for the saws on the upper section). However, they are easy/medium levels, so this won't be that much useful.

I'm not planning on using it on Impossible Boy, since 7-3x (the only level with this feature if I'm right) becomes more consistent without pause buffering.

Here is my complete run:

Edited by samuel_hsc
  • Like 3