Tips for Missile, Demon, Zombie, Girl and Impossible Boy

S_y_n_e_IR_g_Y

33 minutes ago, XxIsa-GxX said:

Just unlocked Missile Boy playing from PSVita and I'm shaking. I was really close unlocking the trophy twice but I choked it on 3-6X and 3-5X on those runs. On my successful run, I didn't even have faith and thought to play from 1X-20X for learning more but I've somehow managed to complete the first 16 levels without failing. Started making mistakes on 3-17X and 3-18X but thanks to the "exit to map" trick, I was able to maintain my ironman streak. Never felt more relieved (even compared to Mein Leben (was still relieved on that one but this one was huge)) but I still have to do Demon, Zombie, Girl, and Impossible Boy... Shoot what have I put myself into lol

If you ever have doubt, this is what helped me for every iron man trophy: I was thinking to myself: In the end it is a pattern that I/ my hands have to memorize. I told this to myself particularly after getting Missile Boy, because at first I thought I would never get this trophy. I even had a hard time getting past the first level lol! As soon as I got Missile Boy I knew that I will get the rest sooner or later :)

You will as well! If you can memorize patterns in an x-hours run in Wolfenstein 2 , you can for sure do that with regard to the much shorter iron man runs?good luck! :) 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Jasko_SOA said:

If you ever have doubt, this is what helped me for every iron man trophy: I was thinking to myself: In the end it is a pattern that I/ my hands have to memorize. I told this to myself particularly after getting Missile Boy, because at first I thought I would never get this trophy. I even had a hard time getting past the first level lol! As soon as I got Missile Boy I knew that I will get the rest sooner or later :)

You will as well! If you can memorize patterns in an x-hours run in Wolfenstein 2 , you can for sure do that with regard to the much shorter iron man runs1f44c.pnggood luck! :) 

Thanks, man! I'll definitely post updates on here but let's see how this journey will go. Sometimes the game doesn't want to register inputs which makes me a little bit worried but managed to make it this far so will keep pushing hard.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FrediPy_ said:

I managed to do some of the easiest Iron Man runs about a month ago, but after having done the 100% completion as well I was tired of the game, so I decided to leave it aside for a while because I couldn't concentrate or pull off even some of the most consistent strats for the hardest levels of dark hospital.

So three days ago I opened it again, started practising and achieved the dark hospital run during practice and almost without thinking, and more or less the same for Brimstone Boy. Maggot Boy and Missile Boy are the first runs that I needed to do in a certain order because there are levels that feel purely luck-based, although it must be that I am not good enough! 1f605.png And now I am practising for Demon Boy and god I HATE hellmaws, they are not such a problem in some levels, but others… I am struggling A LOT to get 4-16x and 4-19x consistently, even after watching a lot of tips from people way better than me, so I hope to get better only after practising those a lot and getting absolute muscle memory. So by the way, thanks a lot especially to OP for all the tips in this thread, they have been (and surely will be) very helpful.

Demon Boy is clearly where things start to get fun, because it is the first Iron Man I haven't been able to pull off in one sitting.

For the record, this is how much time it took me to get each one:

1. Wood boy: 1st try.

2. Needle boy: 25 minutes.

3. Squirrel boy: 7 minutes (2nd try).

4. Salt boy: 35 minutes.

5. Blood Clot boy: 2 hours.

6. Brimstone boy: 3 hours.

7. Maggot boy: 3 hours.

8. Missile boy: 5 hours.

——— F U N   S T A R T S ———

(And therefore I start to count in days)

9. Demon boy (still unachieved): 1 day

Death count: 9.8k

I have a strategy for 4-16X which is pretty much consistent and should make this level much easier. Sorry for the voice level on the footage since I tried to plug my headphone to use its mic as an output device but hope this one helps out:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, XxIsa-GxX said:

I have a strategy for 4-16X which is pretty much consistent and should make this level much easier. Sorry for the voice level on the footage since I tried to plug my headphone to use its mic as an output device but hope this one helps out:

Wow, thanks a lot, man! I was always bouncing off the left wall right at the start as I had seen on many videos, never tried this and definitely going to as soon as I get back at it, today is a resting day ? 

The problem with what I was doing is that you have to stop running or slightly tap left not to have the second hellmaw too close to the right wall, as it becomes impossible to dodge. I was hoping to improve my timing eventually, but your strat seems quite more consistent, so I'll let you know if it helps.

EDIT: I couldn't resist and turned on my vita to try this before getting my sleep, and it worked very well! Just got like a dozen successful tries in a row with this method. I just don't hold run until half the first floor to have more time to dodge the second hellmaw at the rightmost part, but that's just my way to do it.

I think I can do 4-19x consistently as well now, so Demon Boy is just a matter of trying. Maybe tomorrow…

Edited by FrediPy_
adding related info without having to double post
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2020 at 3:29 AM, FrediPy_ said:

For the record, this is how much time it took me to get each one:

1. Wood boy: 1st try.

2. Needle boy: 25 minutes.

3. Squirrel boy: 7 minutes (2nd try).

4. Salt boy: 35 minutes.

5. Blood Clot boy: 2 hours.

6. Brimstone boy: 3 hours.

7. Maggot boy: 3 hours.

8. Missile boy: 5 hours.

——— F U N   S T A R T S ———

(And therefore I start to count in days)

9. Demon boy (still unachieved): 1 day

Death count: 9.8k

Expect this death count to double by the time you practice Zombie Boy and GIrl Boy.

Then there's Impossible Boy which is in a league of it's own. Took me a solid 30 - 40 hours before I finally pulled it off.

Good luck.

10 hours ago, Spaz said:

Expect this death count to double by the time you practice Zombie Boy and GIrl Boy.

Then there's Impossible Boy which is in a league of it's own. Took me a solid 30 - 40 hours before I finally pulled it off.

Good luck.

Thank you!

I finally managed to achieve Demon Boy a couple of days ago, in my second day of trying, after three runs that ended with less than five levels remaining, and of course dying in the most stupid ones because my hands were literally trembling. After that, I played both Dark Rapture and Light Cotton Alley casually and I think I'm going to go for the later firstly, because I think I will get tired of playing only as Bandage Girl otherwise, but in any case the difficulty of both of these is far beyond Dark Hell…

and I don't even want to think about Impossible Boy just yet.

• Like 1

Managed to unlock Demon Boy today w/having around 7.9K deaths through the beginning of my SMB journey and oh boy... For 4-8X I wasn't able to pull out Gish strategy so had to use Ogmo and I put that one on the first level spot. My order through the run was 8X-20X, 1X-7X and at one point I almost botched it on 4-5X (managed to exit map successfully though). Giving a couple of days break and then up to even more stressful part...

• Like 1

On 7/14/2020 at 9:28 AM, XxIsa-GxX said:

Giving a couple of days break and then up to even more stressful part...

It’s a tough one for sure. 

If I went back and did this again I could probably finish it in three to four weeks. Right now I’m happy with doing it once. 

Zombie Boy and beyond will test your skill and mettle. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Spaz said:

If I went back and did this again I could probably finish it in three to four weeks. Right now I’m happy with doing it once. 

This makes me wonder, for all plat achievers out there… Would you do it again on a hypothetical PS5 re-release with different trophy list?

I might give it a try, but definitely not dedicating as much time as I am doing now.

On 16-7-2020 at 4:02 PM, FrediPy_ said:

This makes me wonder, for all plat achievers out there… Would you do it again on a hypothetical PS5 re-release with different trophy list?

I might give it a try, but definitely not dedicating as much time as I am doing now.

I actually would I think, I recently picked this up on a Steam sale, and was thinking on going for the achievements there. Plus side of those is that there are even speedrunning achievements :D

Though having said that, a re-release has no chance of happening lol

Edited by Dzware

If it's re-released for free (either through Plus or due to having it on my library) I might do it again. The game is fun and it's one of those games that I don't feel I got screwed over by RNG or some bullshit like that. If I die or fail in the game it was 100% my fault.

But like Dzware said I doubt the game would be re-released. The fact we even got it so late and on Plus was already a great surprise and then we have the sequel coming out next year I think.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TugaSonic said:

But like Dzware said I doubt the game would be re-released. The fact we even got it so late and on Plus was already a great surprise and then we have the sequel coming out next year I think.

Wooooo, hopefully no more delays! This is the current statement: " We are running out of things to make so it's looking like 2020 for Epic Games Store, Nintendo Switch, Xbox One and PlayStation 4. " ? So hopefully it will still release this year. 

As for the question above... I wouldn't mind doing it again in terms of having to practice, but I generally don't do stacks ?

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I can do this game again in under a month if I decide to put it on my alt.

Yeah, pretty standard thing for most games. Think a month is being a bit harsh on yourself, I'd say a couple sittings at most, levels are short so when you've already overcome the hurdle of its initial difficulty then it shouldn't take many hours at all to do it again. I speedran it on an alt once and did it mostly one morning no problem and that's in any way a 'brag' because I think most platinum achievers could do the same if they wanted to.

It's why most of these speedrun second account plats for difficult games (or practicing on an alt before they do it on their main) don't 'impress' me, we could all smash our times to pieces by doing it a second time with that practice in advance.

It's a pretty satisfying thing to do though, hard games tend to take a while because you're basically learning to 'git gud' at that game but (usually) they're not very long games so going back and one-sitting a game after 'gitting gud'.

Just now, JohnCenaSong- said:

Yeah, pretty standard thing for most games. Think a month is being a bit harsh on yourself, I'd say a couple sittings at most, levels are short so when you've already overcome the hurdle of its initial difficulty then it shouldn't take many hours at all to do it again. I speedran it on an alt once and did it mostly one morning no problem and that's in any way a 'brag' because I think most platinum achievers could do the same if they wanted to.

It's why most of these speedrun second account plats for difficult games (or practicing on an alt before they do it on their main) don't 'impress' me, we could all smash our times to pieces by doing it a second time with that practice in advance.

It's a pretty satisfying thing to do though, hard games tend to take a while because you're basically learning to 'git gud' at that game but (usually) they're not very long games so going back and one-sitting a game after 'gitting gud'.

Missile Boy is the first real difficulty spike followed by Demon Boy and Zombie Boy.

Girl Boy you can give or take. Impossible Boy took me longer to get done than all the other no death runs combined. The margin for error is extremely high and you need to be very precise.

• 2 months later...

I m a bit late to post here as I get my plat months agoo I will post the same thing that I posted on my plat post on Facebook ,maybe the way I did some levels can help people to do it easily so I think is good to share our runs some levels can be done in a very different way and most important in a better "safe" way I saw some guys doing some levels by a super risky and other doing safer than I did so here is my runs,and some information about how hard was 

This is a short 4 min video showing a bit of pain going for impossible boy

Impossible boy
This is the run that I need to die inside to don't let my emotions kill me,3816 deaths and 23 hours and 25 minutes for this trophy
https://youtu.be/Ws3m97TDegE
Girl Boy
This is my luckiest run,I couldn't believe I got so much luck in my life,it took 2723 deaths and 12 hours and 26
https://youtu.be/A_TbNHdwgZI
Zombie Boy
And this is when I literally lose my mind and start to talk with myself like an schizophrenic,2015 deaths and 18 hours for this one
https://youtu.be/0xYy0rKeVDQ
 It was the hardest thing I've ever done, for LITERALLY 1 millimeter and 1 millisecond you die on some levels of the last trophy, after  decorate  each frame of each Level you will die again and again, if you think DIE, if you are afraid of dying DIE, if you did everything exactly the way you always did .... also DIE sometimes, you gonna need to have a inhumane coldly to not let the pressure kill you, this "was" the only platinum on my account that I had given up because I had no "skill" to get it, the trophy videos are on my channel if you are curious to see, after this, that is nothing that I see and think " I can't do this", showed me how far we managed to get when we really dedicated ourselves to something, and how much the fear of failure can make you fail no matter how good you are at what you do, it was  a life lesson this platinum haha I cold  make a much larger text to  explain  the experience  but it’s already too big this shit haha

• Like 2

Oh believe me it drove me insane too @AmazingNoeder. Even considering throwing in the towel a year ago, but having one trophy lay between me and the platinum, I wasn't going to let that go.

40 Hours more or less, at least double the time it took me for Zombie Boy. Not a measure of skill, because honestly there are people out there far more skilled than I ever will be. More of a measure of competence and determination. I feel skill has more to do with how LONG it takes you to finish this game. Some people can finish this in a couple weeks, for others, it may take them over a year, as this game did for me.

Still a respectable platinum and one that carries high prestige. So you deserve a pat on the back for earning this beast of a game.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Oh believe me it drove me insane too @AmazingNoeder. Even considering throwing in the towel a year ago, but having one trophy lay between me and the platinum, I wasn't going to let that go.

40 Hours more or less, at least double the time it took me for Zombie Boy. Not a measure of skill, because honestly there are people out there far more skilled than I ever will be. More of a measure of competence and determination. I feel skill has more to do with how LONG it takes you to finish this game. Some people can finish this in a couple weeks, for others, it may take them over a year, as this game did for me.

Still a respectable platinum and one that carries high prestige. So you deserve a pat on the back for earning this beast of a game.

Thanks man,I just decide that I will play until I get the plat after I get zombie boy ,jesus that was totally insane ,exist people that do this so fast, the first achievers are beasts,it depends a lot of skill,but the emotions can kill you in a lot of times too,congrats on your plat man,anyone who have this one have my respect

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

After a couple of months off, because I was getting frustrated and making little to no progress, I've managed to achieve Zombie Boy and Girl Boy in less than a week! It's been said by many people on this thread, but it's true, getting some rest is as necessary as getting good at the game, especially after huge gaps of difficulty. So thanks for that, and thank you all for the tips you've shared, they definitely helped a lot.

Next stop: Impossible Boy!

(Death count: 12.1k)

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I simply cannot do 7-19x. All the other levels are mostly fine, I just can't do this one. I've turned off game sounds, count my jumps etc. but it takes me about 20 tries to beat the level and then there's a 1 in 4 chance I die on 7-9x afterwards which means another 20 tries. I don't think there's any tips that will help me. It's quite literally "get good".

32 minutes ago, ThatGuyPBG said:

I simply cannot do 7-19x. All the other levels are mostly fine, I just can't do this one. I've turned off game sounds, count my jumps etc. but it takes me about 20 tries to beat the level and then there's a 1 in 4 chance I die on 7-9x afterwards which means another 20 tries. I don't think there's any tips that will help me. It's quite literally "get good".

I assume that you are having issues with the notorious part on top of the level with all these tiny saw blades?

If you are struggling with the first as well, i.e. getting on top of the level: I would recommend to pause in between the platforms. I have seen youtube videos where people jump "in one go", however I had issues with this approach, since the game sometimes would not register that I pressed the X button so I died every now and then on my way to the top. I would definitely recommend to stop for a short amount of time in between. The "unlocking" part takes some time anyway.

Regarding the notorious saw blades on top of the level: Try to remember the pattern, more specifically the rythm in which you pressed the X button once you succeed once, even if it takes you 20 times to get it right one time. Try to ask yourself: What have I done in order to succeed right now?

I did it this way and figured out exactly how much time needs to pass in between me pressing X. Obviously, we are talking about split seconds, but you will figure it out eventually.

Another tip, and this is in my opinion the most important one: Try to remember EXACTLY where you start jumping (where girl boy´s head bumps on the sealing in order to move past the first saw blade). You can use the share button to save a video once you have done it correctly once and then analyze it in order to memorize the starting location.

Because what I found out: Even the best rythm is not going to result in a successfull completion of this level, IF the starting position is not right.

I hope you get the idea.

Good luck and keep us updated! :)

Edit: Don´t use the sprint button on top! Also noteworthy: This level changes the more you play it. The gaps close too fast, if you let´s say play this level for too long. If you realize during practicing, that no matter how fast you are, you cannot make it to Meat Boy, then close the application and you are good to go again.

Edited by Jasko_SOA

34 minutes ago, Jasko_SOA said:

Another tip, and this is in my opinion the most important one: Try to remember EXACTLY where you start jumping (where girl boy´s head bumps on the sealing in order to move past the first saw blade). You can use the share button to save a video once you have done it correctly once and then analyze it in order to memorize the starting location.

Thanks I'll definitely try this. I know I'm going to get this trophy, it's just a matter of when.