553 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of a gamer are you?

• Completionist
    • Trophy Hunter
    • Cross Breed
    • Casual
    • Other
    • The Bullstomps

I'm a trophy hunter I guess, but I don't still only to playstation (though I mostly play playstation.) Also I won't buy shit games just for the quick trophies and I certainly won't stack games unless I really enjoyed them. So some cross breed as well. I like a challenge, so don't shy away from a list because it is difficult. But yeh, usually after plat I won't really play a game again, unless I'm helping someone else with it. 

The completionist description is pretty darn accurate for me, haha - Even before knowing about this site at the beginning of my trophy hunting career I had goals for playing only what I liked, and trying to complete those games as much as I was able to. I've been able to do that for 10 years now, and it's been a fun ride :dance:

• Like 2

I guess by the definitions given in the first post i'm a Cross Breed, but honestly I'm just a little bit of everything. I play whatever I want, but I consider most platinum's to be completion of the game. In most cases DLC is worthless and I don't really care about it so I don't buy it/play it regardless whether I could afford to buy the DLC or not. However, I don't care about completion percentage at all.

Edited by soultaker655

I am all of the above. Reason being is that I have a progressive methodology to my gaming that lets me hit pretty much everything that you describled.

First I will play a game casually and for fun; I don't look at the trophy list to avoid spoilers and enjoy that random ding when I decide to do something fun. Or just enjoy the game as it is meant to be. Depending on the game, I will side quest alot or little; Hunt down nick knacks that I can find by msyelf and solve those interesting puzzles that games would throw in. Very seldomly will I look up a hint/walkthrough on games because It diminishes my experience BUT I will if I can't proceed further. I am at this time trying to resolve a way to work with my setup for games that extremely hard and I can only get so far, whether that be because of hidden controls/tricks in the game or the lack of proper game design, or even my inability to figure out the game. I can name a few that this has happened on and I want to figure out a more quantifable way to choose to get help. Anyways; On to the next step.

Second, After I beat a game I will then focus on completing it. My main goal here is to do everything within reason. I won't need to insane things (unless they are fun) but I will challenge myself to harder difficulties even if the game doesn't call for them via a trophy. I will look at what the trophies are (unless I want to keep it blind for a bit longer) and hunt them down, Maybe figuring out a path I want to take for them. DLC is part of completing a game and I will even get that to get everything with it. Trophies are a nice way to look at what you have done and what you can do in game but not the end goal for me. I have the personal goal of 100% all Final Fantasy games. Knowing that not all of them have trophies is sad but doesn't prevent me continuing on. So far; I have 0 of them at that point and only 6 of them that I have beat once; I will be using walkthroughs since I am ok at this point to utilize others work to see the full extents of the game. 

Final Side note; I will play next to anything. I don't prefer racing, sports or bullet hell games BUT I would play them given a reason to do so (as a few of them have ended up in my list); I rarely get rid of my games, though some have been lost (and I am trying to retrieve them); and I will even continue to play bad/glitchy games just for the different kind of struggle. I have even recently been challenging myself to tackle games with server shutdowns to either A; get all the trophies that are online only so I can Plat it later or B; Get as many as I can for some extra trophies since that game will probably be played anyways. I am not much of a multiplayer person so this doesn't bother me to boost. On the flip side; I will legitimately play and try to improve in these games if the servers are properly active and I can achieve what is asked. (I still glare at the last of the Diorama pieces in Battlefront though....) 

That is what I do. 

Edited by Roga_de_Ticon
  • Like 1

I don't know what I am. An enigma? :lol: Things in every category could be used to describe me, except for "casual." Cross Breed might be the closest fit. I buy and play what I think looks fun, and try to complete them as best I can. If I get a free version of a game, and can earn an extra set of trophies, I often do. No real reason not to, unless I really don't want to play that game again. I won't usually pay money for the same game again, unless it's some kind of upgrade and cheap. 

I also don't care much about DLC. Doesn't matter if I can afford it, in theory. When it's more than what I paid for the game and for less content, or more than what I can buy another game (or more) for, it's a waste of money. 

Will for me i am a platinum hunter

i don't care much about completion cuz there are a lot of games release dlc late and that will force you to go back

and play again and as all of you know most dlc don't have that much of point and some times its not even worth play it cuz its not fun

so hunting for platinum is what i all about so i choose other

Edited by dark69knight

2 hours ago, Zolkovo said:

It's always difficult to say just based on someone's profile, which is kinda the underlying point of this thread. But if I were to hazard a guess it seems to me like you play any game that you find enjoyable until you don't xD

2 hours ago, Lum1nous1 said:

Casual with a hint of cross breed?

The way I look at it my profile defiantly doesn’t show what type of gamer I am, as it is the same account ive always used.

Personally I see myself as a casual gamer with tendencies towards completionism (Even though I rarely get there) and trophy hunting. If I enjoy the game I am more likely to keep playing it until I have done everything I can, but this may take years as I get distracted quickly. I normally will have 15 different games going at any given time depending on the mood I am in.

I've evolved as a gamer and the aims have changed at the same time. Back in the PS3 era I owned fewer games (partially due to not needing PS+), was pickier in what I would play and normally put more time into each game only focusing on 1-2 at a time. Now I am starting more and then leaving them on the backlog pile to pickup at a later date (53% are under 10% completion compared to 32% in the PS3 Era), but I am also completing more now than previously 20 over 60% (8 @ 100%) compared to 7 (1 @ 100%) in the PS3 era.

I  honestly don't understand why you say that completionists don't stack games. I would actually say that especially completionists like to stack games, because they want to truly complete every trophylist of a game series, at least for the games they really enjoy. 

• Like 1

To be honest, I have no idea how I would classify myself. According to your list, I'm probably the closest to Casual. 

1. I mainly play games that I like, or rather games that interest me. Sometimes, I also like to play relaxing games that could be classified as easy around here (Point & Click, Hidden Object Games..). 
  2. I rarely buy DLC and I'm only really interested in it if it is an interesting new story part for the game (I don't care about new game modes or whatever. Story is the most important thing to me).
  3. Normally, I'd like to complete my games / get all trophies, but if the game starts to bore me (or I don't like it at all), I probably won't complete it and I will decide to go on. Same goes if a game is too hard for me and I can't see any progress after trying it for a while. 
  4. Some games are completed after I got the platinum, other games I'd love to play even more (FF14 - played it several thousand hours after platinum, some CoD MPs...) 
  5. I don't care whether there is a platinum or 100%. If I'm interested, I'll buy it.

cross-breed. though i take a look at overall difficulty. have taken on some games that have been a 7/10 though those were RPG's mainly with stuff that could go wrong if missed something.

one was even the racing game, those time trials in need for speed hot pursuit wasn't a joke at all but i loved it. needed near perfect runs.

Edited by kingdrake2

I guess I'm a Casuals/Cross Breeds with a bit of Completionists...

• I only buy games that looks interesting to me.
  • For most game I tend to consider a platinum (not 100%) trophy list as completing a game 
  • If it's the game I really like then I will 100% everything in game, even on multiple platform, (buying the game again in different region is more troublesome so nope)
  • Difficulty is no big deal, but I really hate boring grind.
  • I play a lot on PC also but on PC I just have fun and don't really care about steam achievement.

I'm a filthy casual.

God, I am so happy I stopped hunting trophies. These fuckers suck the fun out of gaming in my opinion. It's not the trophies themselves of course, it's every idiot who doesn't buy a game they're interested in because the trophies seem hard/annoying/out of reach.

Every loser who rants on hours on end about the trophies of a game... every lunatic who smashes his controller out of frustration, everyone who outright hates a game and it's community because he was too bad to overcome the challanges of said game... and I could go on.

Funnily enough I can almost feel the urge of someone reading this wanting to respond to me how wrong I am and what is wrong about my statement. But I know I'm right because I was all these things at some point, I was the idiot, the lunatic and the loser. And I know a lot of you are too.

If you're truly having fun while getting trophies it's a-ok of course. I loo~ved getting the plat in the Souls games, in Bloodborne and Shadow of the Colossus for example.

But way too often I was one of those idiots I can now make fun of.

...Honestly I don't make fun of them, it's almost melancholic and sad to know with certainty that they themselves have to see how much they destroy their hobby to stop doing it.

But whateeeevs, right?

Have a nice one all you dirty casuals, and everyone having fun with gaming.

Cheers, J

Edited by Paleblood

I guess I'm closest to the Completionist category as you've defined it, with exceptions.  Mainly, I think that completing a game's trophy list is a good way to feel like I've played that game fully and don't really see what you're going on about with the whole "true 100% in-game" stuff.  It's true that some lists don't require you to get 100% completion in the game (God of War, for example).  But, others require much more than that (Super Meat Boy, for example).  If you just 100%'d that in-game, you'd still be missing lots of trophies and the platinum.

Edited by dmland12
grammar/clarity
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Zolkovo said:

Completionists

• Tend to explore every aspect of a game, far beyond the platinum 
  • Go for true in-game 100% completion and a complete trophy list is a part of that journey 
  • The game isn’t over when the platinum dings 
  • If they like a game, instead of spending money buying region/platform stacks (excluding remasters), they keep playing the exact same game using the non-defective copy they already own 
  • Tend not to shy away from difficult trophies as trophies/day ratio is largely irrelevant. The satisfaction of working on a challenge and overcoming it is far greater 
  • Have the fortitude to tackle and endure most grinds 
  • Will rarely let a trophy list influence their choice in playing a game 
  • Happy to play on any platform e.g. PC/Xbox/PS for the most optimal experience depending on the game 
    • e.g. Playing Cities Skylines on PC with access to 1000s of custom workshop content that adds a lot to the experience, not to mention far superior performance
  • Only buy games that appear (subjectively) fun, but will endure the bad eggs through to the end too 

Trophy Hunters

• Tend to play the bare minimum needed for a platinum/100% trophy list 
  • Rarely play a game to true 100% 
  • A dinged platinum signals the lifetime shelving of the respective title 
  • If they like a game (or even if they don't), they will spend money buying region stacks despite not changing the core game-play experience in any way 
  • Will pick up pretty much any game regardless of difficulty or fun-factor as long as it has a platinum 
    • This works both ways for those who hunt URs as well as those who like EZPZs
  • Will go to extreme lengths to obtain trophies e.g. multiple systems, multiple copies of same region physicals 
  • Trophy lists are likely to be a deciding factor with many purchases 
  • Religiously stick to the PlayStation family of consoles 
  • Open to playing multiple games simultaneously and forfeiting some of the game-play experience e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cY2B1njf2uo 

The Cross Breeds

• Tend to consider a platinum/100% trophy list as completing a game 
  • Occasionally spend additional time on a game beyond the platinum 
  • May avoid games that have platinums walled behind difficulty so as not to jeopardise completion % 
  • May tailor their profiles to maintain high completion rates e.g. avoiding games with large amounts of online trophies 

The Casuals (probably the way to be)

• Play a game until they stop having fun with it 
  • Only buy games they like the look of, irrespective of length/difficulty 
  • They won't go out of their way or put themselves through hell just for pixels 
  • Not too bothered about trophies; consider them a bonus 

Yes

NO

Not really

So to which category do I belong ? ?

I play all games regardless of length/difficulty or if they have got a plat or not. I don't even care if the game is shit (I enjoy even the shittiest of games ?)

I don't buy a game I played before unless I really liked it and it's been too long since I last played it.

I don't buy DLCs because they're usually too pricey for little content.

Tough call. I voted completionist but cross breed is more accurate for me at the moment. Before trophies existed (PS1, PS2) I was definitely a completionist. I always went for, what I called, a perfect savefile. Spending dozens or hundreds of hours on a game (JRPG) and then doing it all over again because I liked it. Nowadays if I hit 100% the game gets deleted from the HDD or I trade it back to the store. I won’t play it again. I definitely only play games that I know or think I’ll like. I don’t care if it’s hard, easy, long, short. But... with so many games I still want to play I do find myself buying the easier ones before the harder ones. Games like SMB and Wolfenstein 2 have been on my to play list for quite a while but I keep buying other games first...

I guess the Completionist category fits me to a T. Some comments added on some of the descriptions:

10 hours ago, Zolkovo said:

Completionists

• Tend to explore every aspect of a game, far beyond the platinum. (Yup)
  • Go for true in-game 100% completion and a complete trophy list is a part of that journey. (Uh-yup)
  • The game isn’t over when the platinum dings (Kinda. The Platinum - or 100% - for some games actually requires you to go beyond 100% in-game completion, so in those cases, it is over when the Platinum dings. But overall, yes)
  • If they like a game, instead of spending money buying region/platform stacks (excluding remasters), they keep playing the exact same game using the non-defective copy they already own (Yup yup yup. I never really liked getting remasters, ports or even remakes of games I already own and got over with - I just keep playing the version I own. The only exception so far was Persona 4 Golden and soon Pokémon Let's Go Pikachu)
  • Tend not to shy away from difficult trophies as trophies/day ratio is largely irrelevant. The satisfaction of working on a challenge and overcoming it is far greater. (True)
  • Have the fortitude to tackle and endure most grinds (I do have my limits, though)
  • Will rarely let a trophy list influence their choice in playing a game (Yupperino)
  • Happy to play on any platform e.g. PC/Xbox/PS for the most optimal experience depending on the game (Ding ding ding)
    • e.g. Playing Cities Skylines on PC with access to 1000s of custom workshop content that adds a lot to the experience, not to mention far superior performance
  • Only buy games that appear (subjectively) fun, but will endure the bad eggs through to the end too (IF and only if I like them, despite being a "bad egg")

I am a hardcore gamer. I take trophies very seriously but I am not defined by trophy hunting. I spend a lot of time on systems that don't have trophies (NES, Colecovision, Atari 2600, Vectrex, Pandora 5s, Raspberry Pi, etc.) because I enjoy the essence of gaming. Difficulty doesn't bother me one bit, I enjoy a challenge.

If you can add Hardcore Gamer as a choice I would choose it.

Edit: How do you have casuals represented but not hardcores??

Edited by Bullstomp
Added "edit"
  • Like 1

I... don’t really know. ?

I like 100%’s... but I don’t fret over ones I can’t/don’t have the stamina or skill to get.

I like trophies... but accept they are fairly meaningless.

I play whatever appeals to me, but will drop a game if it’s not fun anymore.

I like a challenge, but have no issue bagging some easy ones if the game still looks interesting or fun.

I’m kind of just... a game player. 

• Like 1