1. 1. What kind of a gamer are you?

• Completionist
    • Trophy Hunter
    • Cross Breed
    • Casual
    • Other
    • The Bullstomps

7 hours ago, dmland12 said:

I guess I'm closest to the Completionist category as you've defined it, with exceptions.  Mainly, I think that completing a game's trophy list is a good way to feel like I've played that game fully and don't really see what you're going on about with the whole "true 100% in-game" stuff.  It's true that some lists don't require you to get 100% completion in the game (God of War, for example).  But, others require much more than that (Super Meat Boy, for example).  If you just 100%'d that in-game, you'd still be missing lots of trophies and the platinum.

That's a valid point, some games certainly have trophy lists that go beyond what I would consider a "perfect save file". That's also why I stated a full trophy list is part of that 100% journey. But more often than not I find you can get a platinum only exploring about 50% of the game's content. It's not very often that there's a trophy for 100% completion. The only examples that come to mind are Tomb Raider, Arkham games and some of the GTA games but it's few and far between in the grand scheme of things.

But yeah these categories aren't definitive and I fully expect most people to have characteristics from multiple ones as I've defined it.

4 hours ago, Bullstomp said:

[...]

If you can add Hardcore Gamer as a choice I would choose it.

Edit: How do you have casuals represented but not hardcores??

Oversight on my part, fixed.

Edited by Zolkovo
  • Like 1

Non of these work for me.

When I play a game it's because I want to play it, but I also like going for the platinum, regardless of the difficult or time commitment.

My taste in games already gets rid of the bullshit lists, since play mostly single player or local co-op games. If the game is about online play, it has to be something very special to me to give it a go (like Dragon Ball FighterZ).

When most of what you play is RPGs, the platinum road tends to be a long experience ranging from 80 to 120 hours and with a difficulty of 5/10.

I like good games, that means I avoid any of those cash grabs that basically sell you a platinum and not a game. I frown upon that and auto popping stacks of games.

If the platinum rarity is over 40%, I'm very likely to avoid the game (again, unless it's something I'm dying to play. If Dragon Ball FighterZ had a 80% rarity, I would still have played it).

In the end, my trophy list is kind of my journal through gaming on Sony systems. I like to look back and remember the times when I popped certain trophies, and since I cherish such memories, I keep it to only games I like.

Voice of a pip squeak here. Yeah, that’s my category.
Probably just stating the obvious, nevertheless - 

There is no best label. What works for you is the best category. EVEN if you play nothing but fast, cheap plats for whatever reason.  To each his own. 

Hardcores are great
Easycores are great (beloved of developers)
Completionists are great
Trophy hunters are great (esp. on this site right?)
Mixed breeds are great
Casuals are great

GAMERS are great

The only time we run into a problem is when one category thinks its better than another; doesn’t “respect”  the other; shames the other; judges the other; labels the other. 

Labels are great if they help you to understand your own style, and I think that is what this thread is about. Its also fun to see what makes other gamers tick. Fascinating and educational. 

2 hours ago, Zolkovo said:

That's a valid point, some games certainly have trophy lists that go beyond what I would consider a "perfect save file". That's also why I stated a full trophy list is part of that 100% journey. But more often than not I find you can get a platinum only exploring about 50% of the game's content. It's not very often that there's a trophy for 100% completion. The only examples that come to mind are Tomb Raider, Arkham games and some of the GTA games but it's few and far between in the grand scheme of things.

But yeah these categories aren't definitive and I fully expect most people to have characteristics from multiple ones as I've defined it.

Oversight on my part, fixed.

The Bullstomps! I LOVE IT!? But there can only be one, accept no substitutes!

@Phil

Casual? REALLY Dad???

Edited by Bullstomp

@Paleblood I wouldn't exactly call all completionists "idiots" as some of them probably have some sort of OCD and are more ill than idiotic.

I too think it's extremely foolish to skip a game because of hard trophies, and I find myself perplexed to why someone would ever spend hundreds of hours on a game they thought was "meh" for a trophy which is why I consider myself a casual even though I like to earn trophies.

• Like 2

If we’re sticking strictly to categories in this list then I consider myself a blend of cross-breed and casual. I like to play games that I know I will enjoy and am not afraid to spend double or triple digit hours on a single game if I enjoy it enough, but at the same time I have no shame in playing very simple easy to get platinums even if the game itself is “meh”. I general use the trophies as a guide for the game to signal when I have done “everything”, but it is not my end-all be-all rule for every game. Hope that made sense. ?

• Like 1

The closest one for me would be cross-breed. I play the games I want plus some of the ones that are free from PS+. It is kind of interesting how you defined trophy hunter as that is what I would initially say, but I don't go to the lengths of multiple regions/consoles (besides Jak&Daxter and Soundshapes).

On 08/08/2018 at 2:43 AM, Spaz said:

I followed the "Trophy Whore" path for a little while. Stacked Sound Shapes, Murdered: Soul Suspect, My Name Is Mayo and played some trash games like Energy Cycle and Orc Slayer.

I wasn't having fun and it was just miserable. So I've taken to games I've been wanting to get for months, if not years and I feel much happier for it.

My opinion is if you have a 95 percent completion rate or higher, YOU ARE A COMPLETIONIST. 90 - 95 percent is pretty good too, practically anything above 90 percent is usually solid.

Platinum hunters only go for the platinum and move on to the next game. I see tons of accounts where they only complete the base game and they don't bother at all with the DLC. Yes, DLC costs money and if you buy the Season Pass you are shelling out $90 - 100+ dollars for just one game. But when I see people with several hundred games on their lists, they are more than able to buy DLC.

50 to 80 percent, you aren't really a completionist. I wouldn't even consider you a trophy hunter if you're below 30 - 40 percent, you just play games purely for fun. Which is fine too, everyone has different tastes and wants.

I'm on 83% lol (will prob be around 85-88% once I'm done with Yakuza 0), where does that put me lol

cuz you covered 50-80 and 90-100 lol

I get games I think I'll like regardless of their trophy lists, but I'll try to plat/100% all of them. Since I mostly play JRPGs, the trophies are basically already "DO EVERYTHING", so I don't really have anything else to do afterwards anyway. I can think of maybe 5 games total where I still had things to do after the "PSN 100%" and I did them. So completionist I guess. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

I am kinda between. Skyrim I played that game until there was almost nothing new, I didn't went the lazy trophy hunter way. Teslagras I finished the game and didn't stop after the plat. Still i care and pay atention to trophy missables.

17 hours ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

@Paleblood I wouldn't exactly call all completionists "idiots" as some of them probably have some sort of OCD and are more ill than idiotic.

I didn't. Only the ones which you described in the other part of your post (which aren't completionists to begin with and which I realized I myself was a part of). And they aren't idiots as such, just the behavior is quite idiotic.

Also OCD gets thrown around a little too much in serious discussions about trophies in my opinion. People that actually suffer from actual OCD are on another level.

Most of the ones that rage about trophies are plain and simple...well, idiots.

Edited by Paleblood

Well I'm a Completionist because i need to 100% every game DLC included but i regularly play games even after the platinum especially if multiplayer and do things that arent required for trophies but i also buy short easy games just for trophies too because i got lots of stuff to watch so i can do it while auto-piloting the game so not sure where id fit here

Never avoided a game because of its trophies, Koihime Enbu and Trials fusion would be gone if that was the case aha

I'm a trophy hunter with just a pinch of casual (enough to get me in trouble) since I'm constantly putting games in my neverending backlog when I get bored of them, but I do truly mean to get back to them at somepoint. I'm not into the region stating thing because I'm a cheap trophy hunter :P (even though I would have saved hundreds of dollars if I stopped buying games just too add to my backlog) 

I also really like 100% games over platinum games. I never figured out why this is. Maybe because they are usually a shorter commitment? 

• Like 1

I chose cross breed.

Usually, the platinum satisfies me. In the past, I would only buy DLC, if I really liked a game and for reasons not only connected to trophies. Nowadays, I’m more interested in reaching the 100%, but I only buy the DLC’s when there’s a sale that satisfies me.

Also, if I’m really interested in a game, I don’t care if the trophy list is achievable. I don’t know if I’m going to get DbD’s platinum, but I instantly downloaded the game from the IGC, because I’m a multiplayer enthusiast. On the other hand, sometimes I buy games, that have trophy lists that seem fun to do. Most of the times, I can reconcile the gamer and the trophy hunter in me and play a game that interests me and that also has an interesting trophy list.

I’m not interested in a 100% profile, because I really want to have some margin, to be able to play some games that I’m not sure if I’m going to plat.

• Like 1

According to this, a crossbreed/casual mix? The first two in crossbreed sound like me... BUT I don't avoid games just because they have a hard or annoying platinum/100% completion (in that case I might just not go for it/give up if I find it too hard and annoying and just leave it unearned) and I don't really care about high completion rate. I mostly just play for fun and play games I think I will enjoy BUT see trophies as a fun extra challenge, and might sometimes go through annoying grinding or extra challenges just for a trophy even if I wouldn't have tried this otherwise. Also, I won't get DLC I don't really care about just for the full completion or extra trophies

Edited by Zanreo

i am basicly a cross between completionist and casual.  eventho i refuse to have games like minecraft "because a personal dislike" or easy plats like soundshapes. i also try to avoid dubble plats as much as i can to.  have a second acc to speedrun games and current psnprofiles record for rwby :$.     i only play games i like so if i dislike a game i wil drop it nearly instantly  but when i like a game i prefer to 100% it befor playing another game.  and i mean 100% game completion not 100%trophies  ;x i also have a bad position towards boosting/boosters i have no respect for them and kinda look down on them for being lazy and not even trying to play the game.  its a insult to gaming

Edited by DivineFoxy

Completionist for sure. And the only reason i know this is because when i look at other profiles and see they have played the same game as me. - takes them 1 week to complete 100%....takes me 3 months ? I try my best to not go for the final trophy until i have explored and had my own fun. ?

• Like 1

I'm a mix of Completionist, CrossBreed and Bullstomp notice me senpai.

I do enjoy completing everything a game has to offer when I enjoy them. I did get almost all exotics and grinded a lot of pointless shit in Destiny 1 for grimoire score. Currently diving deep into The Division and doing all those commendations that I can do for stuff that doesn't give any trophies. Also working on getting all the Classified armor sets, just because I want them.

At the same time, I do care a lot about my trophies and my %. I won't add an impossible game to my profile and I steer away from crazy hard games that I don't want to invest time on, like Necrodancer. I'm mostly fine with everything else, what probably also makes me a...

...Bullstomp. Yeah. I really enjoy the challenge. I do enjoy a lot getting pushed to the next level and figure out what my limits are, even if something like SMB will take me several months to complete, once it's done, it's done. What is the next challenge? Bring it on.

I am a trophy hunter BECAUSE I am a completionist.  I used to 100% games long before trophies. And before in game 100% lists I still tried to 'do everything'.  One summer I went and got every Chrono Trigger ending, that sort of thing.

I drifted into 'easy platinums' and trying to get lots of trophies in the Winter of 2016/2017.  But, that's started to get a little old, and while I had a lot of fun, I'm back to (mostly) 100%ing (it's a word now, go with it) RPGs.  

I do understand people who are in it for the trophies, or the rank.  Getting 20 platinums in a month, no matter how easy, is a challenge in and of itself.  Being a completionist also means a lot of grinding, or just stupid trophies, which is not to many peoples' taste.  There is no 'right' way to play video games. 

• Like 1