553 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of a gamer are you?

• Completionist
    • Trophy Hunter
    • Cross Breed
    • Casual
    • Other
    • The Bullstomps

In the early playstation days I would call myself a casual player but for certain titles I would explore and really try to see all they had to offer.

Once I got a 360 though things shifted. I started looking at achievrments and finding out how to accomplish them. I sought out easier titles to pad my score because I HAD to have a better score than others. Over time though my attitude changed. I realized how silly it was to be so swept up with numbers that just dont matter. 

Once I swapped to my ps4, I started off more casual again, just playing what I like. I would maybe pursue a trophy or two but I had no completions at all until I joined this site. It was really bad, like under 20% overall. I have slowly over the year raised it to almost 50%. Not for anyone else, but just to be satisfied that I played each game to its proper point. I do go the extra mile again in some titles, i mean not many can probobly say they played the mew game plus for cat quest. That may be just my assumption though. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kingofbattle8174 said:

In the early playstation days I would call myself a casual player but for certain titles I would explore and really try to see all they had to offer.

Once I got a 360 though things shifted. I started looking at achievrments and finding out how to accomplish them. I sought out easier titles to pad my score because I HAD to have a better score than others. Over time though my attitude changed. I realized how silly it was to be so swept up with numbers that just dont matter. 

Once I swapped to my ps4, I started off more casual again, just playing what I like. I would maybe pursue a trophy or two but I had no completions at all until I joined this site. It was really bad, like under 20% overall. I have slowly over the year raised it to almost 50%. Not for anyone else, but just to be satisfied that I played each game to its proper point. I do go the extra mile again in some titles, i mean not many can probobly say they played the mew game plus for cat quest. That may be just my assumption though. 

It's funny how so many of us at one time just played a game because it was good, not because of trophies or because it was dirt cheap on Playstation or Steam.

When I was growing up I would sift through games at my local Blockbuster (back when Blockbuster was still relevant) for Nintendo 64 games. If the game was shit, like Superman 64, I would immediately turn off the game and return it back to the store. I did this for a while with Playstation 2 games but with the upcoming of internet services like Gamefly I just mailed them back, some a bit quicker if I didn't like them that much.

These days it's almost if people will just buy up any game if they think is easy or take advantage of a Playstation Flash Sale or the countless Steam Flash Sales Value likes to shove down peoples throats on a weekly basis. Then it's like "Well, this game is $3, I'll go play it and see if it's worth it" and if it sucks then they're basically stuck with them.

Personally I just think trying to pad your score or obtain a higher ranking, whether it's trophy hunting, a MMORPG or games in general is utterly pointless. I like to complete most of the games I have on my profile but that's just mostly an OCD problem I've had my whole life. I will never understand why some guys like to buy up a bunch of shitty easy games just so they can get a higher ranking on the leaderboards.

No clue what I am. I 100% games, if i can’t do that I won’t get the platinum. But my average completiion is a little bit more than 50% so I’m not a completionist and since I won’t buy my name is mayo games I am not a trophy hunter either. I just play watherver I want and after the fun ends I try to get all trophies as a challange ( wich makes fun again).

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Spaz said:

It's funny how so many of us at one time just played a game because it was good, not because of trophies or because it was dirt cheap on Playstation or Steam.

When I was growing up I would sift through games at my local Blockbuster (back when Blockbuster was still relevant) for Nintendo 64 games. If the game was shit, like Superman 64, I would immediately turn off the game and return it back to the store. I did this for a while with Playstation 2 games but with the upcoming of internet services like Gamefly I just mailed them back, some a bit quicker if I didn't like them that much.

These days it's almost if people will just buy up any game if they think is easy or take advantage of a Playstation Flash Sale or the countless Steam Flash Sales Value likes to shove down peoples throats on a weekly basis. Then it's like "Well, this game is $3, I'll go play it and see if it's worth it" and if it sucks then they're basically stuck with them.

Personally I just think trying to pad your score or obtain a higher ranking, whether it's trophy hunting, a MMORPG or games in general is utterly pointless. I like to complete most of the games I have on my profile but that's just mostly an OCD problem I've had my whole life. I will never understand why some guys like to buy up a bunch of shitty easy games just so they can get a higher ranking on the leaderboards.

I'm just a really competitive person, i just enjoy moving up the leaderboards. It's not just leaderboards i also play many games competitively. 

According to the description in the OP I'm a mix between cross breed and casual with a tendency of being a casual.

Back in the days of the PS1 I was more like a completionist. I restarted games like BoF 4, FF7, or FF 8 several times because I wasn't satisfied with the outcome of some specific characters. I played every damn race in the GT-mode for Gran Turismo 1 and 2. Even those really boring ones where you had to drive with a Daihatsu Midget or Fiat 500.

But over the course of the years that changed as there are just too many interesting games to play that spending my time this way feels like I'm wasting it.

The reason why I consider myself as...

Cross Breed

--> Tend to consider a platinum/100% trophy list as completing a game

Most of the time I consider a game done when finishing the main/story-mode. If I do any extra fluff just to get all trophies/achievements I spend more than enough time with a game. But this may depend on the actual game. There are some cases where I continue to play games just for fun after earning everything. E.g. mostly some racing games or games you can play in local coop or versus.

--> Occasionally spend additional time on a game beyond the platinum

See point above

Casual

--> Play a game until you stop having fun with it

Yep, totally fits me. There are games I enjoyed at first or where I thought they were okay-ish but later on I didn't feel any enjoyment at all. If I'm not near the end/100% for the trophies it's likely I will stop to play those games for good. E.g. the LittleBigPlanet-games are a good example. I really like some of the levels and especially the DLC-ones were fun but overall the games are just okay and spending times in modes I don't enjoy or going for all prize bubbles feels like things I wouldn't enjoy as the actual platforming is just bad.

--> Only buy games you like the look of, irrespective of length/difficulty

100% match. If I don't like the artstyle, or the gameplay, it's unlikely that I will buy a game. Neither will I ever play any Souls-game (not because I'm afraid of dying/repeating stuff over and over again, but I don't like the artstyle at all), (military)-shooter, sports games nor any game that solely exists so that the devs can earn a quick buck from trophy hoarders. These are games that just don't appeal to me.

On the other hand I tend to buy and play games where I know that I will enjoy them for most of the time. Having some local battles in any fighting game is enjoyable from time to time. The same applies to any rhythm-game, whether it's Taiko, Just Dance, or Project Diva. My skills are subpar when it comes to those genres but I don't care as long as I have fun with those games.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

i thought this would be a refreshing topic to read, but defiantly not lol, i can tell you no nothing about trophy Completionists. i am a completionist, I'm also a weak trophy hunter. you can really only be one, either a completionist or a trophy hunter. i guess everyone is different, and i agree with what you say about trophy hunters. but your view on completionists is so off and funny i had to take the time to post something.

Completionists

Tend to explore every aspect of a game, far beyond the platinum where applicable

(only 100% in trophies matter)

Go for a "perfect save" and a complete trophy list is a part of that journey

The game isn’t over when the platinum dings (most of the time)

If you like a game, instead of spending money buying region/platform stacks (excluding remasters), you keep playing the exact same game using the non-defective copy you already own

(this and the 3 comments above sound like someone who plays for fun, not trophies. completion is completion, what region of game does not matter)

Tend not to shy away from difficult trophies as trophies/day ratio is largely irrelevant. The satisfaction of working on a challenge and overcoming it is far greater

(completionists tend to go for easier games or they won't be completionists anymore)

Have the fortitude to tackle and endure most grinds

(obviously or no 100%, so trophy day ratio is irrelevant)

Will rarely let a trophy list influence your choice in playing a game

(well, if the trophies sound hard, and they are ultra rare then we will be very cautious)

Happy to play on any platform e.g. PC/Xbox/PS for the most optimal experience depending on the game

e.g. Playing Cities Skylines on PC with access to 1000s of custom workshop content that adds a lot to the experience, not to mention far superior performance

Only buy games that appear fun to you, but will endure the bad eggs through to the end too

completion is completion, fun or not. also, if all i care about is 100% trophies, i sure won't be starting another profile on steam and xbox and making more accounts to obsess over) 

i guess you were close, we related on 1 out of 8 points lol

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I'd probably say I'm a mix of completionist, casual, and crossbreed. Back before trophies were a thing, I always tried to 100% whatever games I got. But, recently I tend to backlog a bunch of my games because what I play relies at least 80% on what mood I'm in, thus the ones I'm more in the mood for at a certain time get more trophy progress than other games I have. Plus, I tend to play a bunch of games off and on, sometimes switching games multiple times a day. So, my overall completion is low (not that I really care that much about my %, though) because of that, plus not having enough time for gaming as I used to.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I personnally don't feel the need to define the way I get trophies, and It seems like I couldn't even try to tell you if I'm more this or that because you all seems to have your own definitions and what's funny is that I think that none of you are wrong, it's just a question of point of view. What I wanted to say is that it's not really important, we actually all do the same thing, we just choose how to do it, and however it is, everyone could argue about the right or the wrong way to do it and how to call it. My point is, as long as you like the way you get trophies, it's the right way (but yeah I just said it, thats arguable).

• Like 1

id say im a cross breed. One thing thats been keeping me up at night thinking is why are people playing shitty games(or worse, stacking those same games) just to increase their number, like do you even enjoy games, where has the enjoyment gone? this is kinda hypocritical statement because ive played few shitty games, but nowadays i stay avay from those games, and i play what yhe fuck i want.

Edited by LihapullaPoju
  • Like 1

I did choose completionist even though im a Trophy Hunter as well since i think they go hand in hand.

My preferred games are J-RPgs, so since PS1 era im used to grind my stuff and now i just simply get trophies for it.

Never cared about leader- boards since i refuse to acknowledge hunter who raise to the top by having plated 20 copies of the same game, therefore the leader-boards dont actually mean anything for me.

I only buy games im interested in (exept the developer is a in my Blacklist like *cough, square Enix, then i dont buy their games no matter how good they are (at least not new and only second hand if its 20 Euro or cheaper )).

I dont add games to my main Account if the Trophylist is unreasonable or pure Multiplayer, being able to obtain them is what counts for my main account.

Great discussion. Thanks for posting. I would place myself in the cross breed category. No alternate account for me and I play games I find enjoyable and to my genre of preference. I strive for a high completion rate and I am very persistent to the missing trophies in a game I am playing. The love the challenge and the fun it brings to my trophy hunting.

Whatever I start I wanna get all the trophies now. Good quality games. Occasionally I dip my toe into "trophy whorism." But those games tend to be quick platinums/100% anyways. I won't a game now if I know I could potentially be pulling my hair because of the difficulty ie The New Colossus or be forced to play for a long time straight ie Dead Space 2... which I really wanted to play. 

I was fine being a casual gamer till I joined this site and saw my percentage. (66% at the time with 2600 unearned trophies now 92% with about 900 unearned) Thx psnprofiles. ?

??

Edited by Ronin893
Added stuff

I think I fit most within Cross-breed.

i enjoy a few easy plats to mix it up and aim to get my completion percentage up above 90% again (Pinball Arcade and so far Drive Club is holding me down with the never-ending DLC) but I also have a high amount of ultra rare trophies and platinums.

I was Top 40 is psntrophyleaders Rarity Leaderboard last I checked.  ?

• 2 weeks later...

I voted Casual but I’d say I’m a mix of Casual and Completionist. 

Playing games for fun regardless of how the trophy list appears is my first priority. If I know I can’t get the plat or 100% for a game I’m interested in before I decide to get it, then screw the plat. I’ll still play it.

The completionist part comes from wanting to explore the games I love to the fullest. If the game has more to offer than what the trophy list requires than I’ll definitely go beyond that.

My most recent platinum/100% in Redout is a perfect example of going beyond the plat as it doesnt require you to win every event in the game. You only need to win 46 gold events and 1 plat event yet I’m still aiming for more for the enjoyment from this game with currently 60+ golds and 2 plats (not trophies, but events). 

Casual probably, I only play games that appeal to me, although trophy lists can definitely play a part in deciding the next game to start up. I do also use guides and am willing to go out of my way for trophies, but only to the point where it's still enjoyable.

My Rise of the Tomb Raider playthrough is probably the best example of this. Grabbed a lot of trophies by changing up my playstyle, replaying levels, grinding, or using guides to find all the items/activities. But left the score attack trophies and the high difficulty one alone since attempting to get those would be a drag.

On 8/8/2018 at 2:39 AM, Zolkovo said:

Completionists

• Tend to explore every aspect of a game, far beyond the platinum where applicable
  • Go for a "perfect save" and a complete trophy list is a part of that journey
  • The game isn’t over when the platinum dings (most of the time)
  • If you like a game, instead of spending money buying region/platform stacks (excluding remasters), you keep playing the exact same game using the non-defective copy you already own
  • Tend not to shy away from difficult trophies as trophies/day ratio is largely irrelevant. The satisfaction of working on a challenge and overcoming it is far greater
  • Have the fortitude to tackle and endure most grinds
  • Will rarely let a trophy list influence your choice in playing a game
  • Happy to play on any platform e.g. PC/Xbox/PS for the most optimal experience depending on the game
    • e.g. Playing Cities Skylines on PC with access to 1000s of custom workshop content that adds a lot to the experience, not to mention far superior performance
  • Only buy games that appear fun to you, but will endure the bad eggs through to the end too

I do everything listed above with the exception of the two I've marked in red: 

• I don't need to have a save where everybody is maxed out and I have one of each item in my posession... So no "perfect saves" in my games :)
  • In the past I've played games on PC, PS2, X360 and 3 or 4 Nintendo consoles. Nowadays the PS4 is the only console I really switch on. I have far less time to play games than before, and there are more than enough games on this system to being in danger of running out of interesting things to play... 

Other than that, I think I fit into this category... No stacking (I have played so many games multiple times without the need to get trophies out of subsequent playthroughs...) and I embrace challenge in games. I buy most of my games before I even know what trophies they have attached to them, and yeah, I always finish them regardless of length, tedium or challenge :D

I don't see trophy hunting as a competitive hobby, thus leaderboards don't mean much to me (competition should involve skill in my opinion, which trophy hunting does not), which is why average rarity and completion % are more important to me than trophies / day ratio. 

Edited by Arcesius

I mainly play for fun, i would never not play a game due to trophies been hard or unobtainable, that's just crazy. Most people who must get 100% have mental health issues, they can deny it all they want but its true. Its the same for those who must get a platinum nearly every day, its like if they don't quickly get a platinum they will die lol. Imo for a lot of people trophies are a serious addiction, all they can think about is when they can hear that next ping or see that next 100%. I think it was May that this kind of thing became an official mental health disorder.  So if you think about it the leaderboards on this site are like who is the most mentally ill? 

Edited by GUDGER666

I chose trophy hunter but I've never not bought a game because of a trophy list.

I still buy COD games because I enjoy the campaign and never intend to play multiplayer. 

EZPZ'S are usually a way to past the time until the next big release.

Edited by reiner-

• 9 months later...