Perfect Profile

Matrim_Drasgen

2 hours ago, JohnCenaSong- said:

Exactly, 100% this.

That isn't to say I don't like a good challenge every now and then. But if you're going specifically for the trophies just because it's hard, or because you feel you need to impress someone out there, you are doing it wrong.

I have hard games on my backlog because I want the challenge, I want the satisfaction when I finally beat it after many hours of trying. Certain games like Dead Space 2 I have been wanting to play since 2011 - 2012, but never had the time to get around to it. But just chasing a game because of it's trophies isn't the way to do it.

Personally I would be very proud of myself to have Wolfenstein II at 100 percent. Not just because it presents a challenge, but also because I have been a long time fan of the franchise for over 20 years. I absolutely enjoyed playing through The New Order and The Old Blood, so it was only fitting I was going to get The New Colossus. Might even play those games on an alt.

7 hours ago, Sergen said:

I think to a lot of us, it's also a bit cringey for you to say it was an honour to see the profile, because you're treating someone too well for something so insignificant. No trophy hunter is special solely for the trophies they get and doing trophies is just a way to really show off with minor effort because no trophy makes you become a pro at the game to do it and most games are highly exploitable. 

I guess you just cringe then because it was an honor to see it. Just like it had been an honor to see other people's profile. Especially the cool ones who become friends. Wrong term but oh well, happened.

I don't consider myself a trophy Hunter but I am a completionist & like to get everything I can possibly can out of my games which in turn usually unlocks the platinum at the same time.

Witcher 3 is a prime example, I absolutely love the game, it's one of my all time favourites. I've clocked over 400 hours on it since I bought it &, I got the platinum on that around 340-360 hours in but hadn't finished all the side quests & exploring.To this day there is still an Easter egg I know I haven't seen in game as it just hasn't spawned for me (seeing the Flying Dutchman sailing around the Skellige Isles at night) & probably a few I don't know about.

While I do enjoy having my profile at 100%, I only play games I enjoy and trophies are never a factor I consider when buying a game.

I don't really see the point of playing games with the sole purpose of having a high completion, and I feel the same way about playing for Platinums.

Of course that's my opinion, and everyone is free to do whatever floats their boat haha.

Like some others already mentioned here it's actually pretty easy to get a 100% profile if you only play easy games.

While i would like to get 100% i'm pretty happy about the precentage that i got. I remember days when i only had like 60%

On 8.8.2018 at 9:24 PM, IntroPhenom said:

Don't worry too much about other peoples' profiles.  Just enjoy your own.

True but this site is also about finding the energy or inspiration to become a better player. A friendly competition is great for that. And without this site I wouldn't have gotten the platinum in WipeOut HD. Looking up to others can help to improve certain things. 

100% is just an ideal to me. UR's are also nice to see, for whatever reason they might be so. Like one thing I believe is that it's more convincing to see a terrible UR as a "joke plat" than a terrible 90%, but maybe that's just me. Of course a Super Meat Boy plat might be very nice to have, but I don't think anyone really has to play it just because it's hard. I played it for a while (not to completion) on PC and just feel very neutral about the actual quality/fun factor of the game. Certainly there are other options available for different people to meet their fun/difficulty kinks, than the 3 games mentioned every time surrounding the topic.

Just one of the "for the 80%" people sharing their thoughts.

3 hours ago, Zolkovo said:

What I've come to learn from my time here is that everyone is beautifully different. There's no right or wrong profile. There's no better or worse. And I'll be the first to admit I've been guilty of thinking otherwise in the past.

I personally don't see the allure behind UR enthusiasts because their choices are largely governed by statistics. In much the same way as ezpz connoisseurs they'd probably have an entirely different PSN gaming history without trophies. But that's not to say their profiles are any less or more than anyone else's.

I love and respect profiles that are coloured with diversity or show a clear passion for a particular genre. Those are the perfect ones for me because they are driven by their love for gaming and not some arbitrary numbers. It doesn't matter how difficult or easy any of those games are perceived to be or how many of those trophies they've opted to go after.

But every profile is perfect in the eye of the beholder because it's a reflection of them.

It's human nature to strive for perfection but its definition varies from one person to another. Like a perfect job, or a perfect partner. Our PSN profiles are no exception.

So at the end of the day as long as you're having a blast it doesn't matter at all whether others consider your profile noteworthy. Chances are they have a profile far from perfect in your own eyes.

There is no such thing as literally being perfect. You just do the best you can, because there will always be someone better.

Your profile is already showing signs of good things. Like getting Dishonored to 100 percent, and I'm absolutely terrible at stealth games.

Trophies are trivial anyway. Compared to my 25+ years of gaming, trophies only make up a small part of it. They're the icing on the cake, and while I do enjoy the occasional challenge, I prefer to diversify what I have.

33 minutes ago, mecharobot said:

100% is just an ideal to me. UR's are also nice to see, for whatever reason they might be so. Like one thing I believe is that it's more convincing to see a terrible UR as a "joke plat" than a terrible 90%, but maybe that's just me. Of course a Super Meat Boy plat might be very nice to have, but I don't think anyone really has to play it just because it's hard. I played it for a while (not to completion) on PC and just feel very neutral about the actual quality/fun factor of the game. Certainly there are other options available for different people to meet their fun/difficulty kinks, than the 3 games mentioned every time surrounding the topic.

Just one of the "for the 80%" people sharing their thoughts.

Super Meat Boy is simply a very popular indie platformer. There are plenty of platformers out there that barely anyone knows about. Meat Boy is primarily used as a factor for "hard" platformers.

Plus I've spent over 20 years playing platformers, going back to the Mario and Sonic rivalry days during a time when most games in the console industry were platformers. I played Super Meat Boy on Steam years before it went on Playstation 4, and it's a nice challenge. Doesn't mean everyone who likes platformers has to play the game, nor should people try to go for the platinum when they aren't that good at them to begin with.

3 hours ago, Zolkovo said:

I personally don't see the allure behind UR enthusiasts because their choices are largely governed by statistics. In much the same way as ezpz connoisseurs they'd probably have an entirely different PSN gaming history without trophies. But that's not to say their profiles are any less or more than anyone else's.

That's actually a really good point. How is hunting URs any different than playing easy games? Sure, it might be harder or take longer, but it's still just a numbers game. Unless you're enjoying the games, I don't really see the point.

That said, this topic has been an interesting read. I can't say I agree with some of the negative comments I've seen directed towards completionists. The OP, in particular, was just expressing admiration for another player -- not really something to ridicule him for -- and this notion that anybody who has a 100% profile must have something wrong with them is ridiculous. Believe it or not, there is more than one way to enjoy something. Just because somebody doesn't like a particular aspect of something doesn't mean they don't enjoy the overall experience. Take movies, for example. Gods of Egypt is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Has that stopped me from watching it three times? No, because I laugh hysterically every time. The EXPERIENCE of watching that movie is worth it to me, even if the material is not.

Hobbies are no different. I like to draw. That doesn't mean I like drawing all the time. There are many times -- especially when it comes to drawing certain things that I struggle with -- that I get frustrated. I might curse and scream and hit things, but that doesn't mean I'm not having fun. It's just, for me to enjoy myself 95% of the time, I have to suffer through that 5%. And, honestly, that's the 5% that matters the most, because that's what defines me. That's the difference between doing what you love and striving to do better at what you love.

Now, okay, that might seem far removed from video games. I'll grant you that. But let's look at Dark Souls. I personally would not call Dark Souls a "fun" game. It's a great experience, and you can certainly have a good time playing it, but the game wasn't designed with "fun" in mind. You were meant to struggle. And so what? What's wrong with putting yourself through a little torture, if the reward at the end will taste that much sweeter? In the words of Halestorm: what doesn't kill you makes you vicious.

That may sound like I'm pushing people to play hard games, but what I'm really saying is there's nothing inherently wrong with somebody who enjoys a challenge, whether it's from earning a lot of trophies or maintaining a 100% profile. If you enjoy what you're doing, then great. If you don't enjoy what somebody else is doing, then maybe you're the one with the problem.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

That's actually a really good point. How is hunting URs any different than playing easy games? Sure, it might be harder or take longer, but it's still just a numbers game. Unless you're enjoying the games, I don't really see the point.

Only a select few people really care about putting rare trophies on their profile, just because they're rare. A minority within a minority.

Personally I have a bit more respect for those who worked hard to earn their trophies, rather than be a guy like Hakoom or Roughdawg4 who intentionally stack hundreds of Japanese visual novels just to maintain their world ranking on the leaderboards. I could do that too, provided I had thousands of dollars I can just spend on to inflate my trophy count and get tons of platinums that virtually anybody can do by just mashing buttons to get through the games as quick as possible.

That is a numbers game. You can argue that both easy games and going after ultra rares are numbers games, but I think we can all agree on which one deserves a bit more respect.

6 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Just because somebody doesn't like a particular aspect of something doesn't mean they don't enjoy the overall experience. Take movies, for example. Gods of Egypt is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Has that stopped me from watching it three times? No, because I laugh hysterically every time. The EXPERIENCE of watching that movie is worth it to me, even if the material is not.

Saying Gods of Egypt is one of the worst movies you've ever seen should mean you didn't enjoy it at all.

What you're referring to is the so bad it's good effect. It's intentionally bad but you got some enjoyment out of watching the film.

I can name a bunch of movies out there that would make Gods of Egypt look like an Oscar nominated film in comparison. But I won't delve into that here.

8 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Hobbies are no different. I like to draw. That doesn't mean I like drawing all the time. There are many times -- especially when it comes to drawing certain things that I struggle with -- that I get frustrated. I might curse and scream and hit things, but that doesn't mean I'm not having fun. It's just, for me to enjoy myself 95% of the time, I have to suffer through that 5%. And, honestly, that's the 5% that matters the most, because that's what defines me. That's the difference between doing what you love and striving to do better at what you love.

That's virtually anything really. Learning how to drive. Taking a class in college on Chemistry or Calculus. You may struggle, you may get frustrated, you may even think of giving up. But you endure, you strive, you get tutors and assistance to help you push through.

I struggled for over 10 years in Mathematics. Had to hire several different tutors, who have all helped me tremendously because I didn't even know how to pick a value for X in graph problems. Today Math is one of my strongest subjects, I enjoy figuring out logarithms and plugging away at graphs and drawing a chart for them.

People like Albert Einstein and Steve Jobs didn't get as successful as they did without struggling a lot.

12 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

Now, okay, that might seem far removed from video games. I'll grant you that. But let's look at Dark Souls. I personally would not call Dark Souls a "fun" game. It's a great experience, and you can certainly have a good time playing it, but the game wasn't designed with "fun" in mind. You were meant to struggle. And so what? What's wrong with putting yourself through a little torture, if the reward at the end will taste that much sweeter? In the words of Halestorm: what doesn't kill you makes you vicious.

I wouldn't consider Dark Souls to be all that difficult. If it's anything like Bloodborne and Demon's Souls, then it should be pretty enjoyable.

Today's video games are pretty relaxed and calm compared to what we used to get 15 - 20 years ago. These days companies like Ubisoft like to throw in a bunch of tutorials, guides, ways to help you play through their games as if we all need to get our hands held. When I started playing video games there was virtually no help outside of game manuals.

You make a game like Battletoads on the NES today, people will bitch, complain, gripe that it's too difficult, it's too stressful, virtually any adjective they can think of that is related to strenuous and tough. Hell, it took me ages to beat Super Mario World and Super Mario 64, but they gave me a real sense of joy when I finally got to the end.

17 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

That may sound like I'm pushing people to play hard games, but what I'm really saying is there's nothing inherently wrong with somebody who enjoys a challenge, whether it's from earning a lot of trophies or maintaining a 100% profile. If you enjoy what you're doing, then great. If you don't enjoy what somebody else is doing, then maybe you're the one with the problem.

I said this before, I think maintaining a 100 percent profile is a very big risk.

You can stumble on a game you can't do, because it's too difficult, the online trophies are unobtainable, or the DLC for said game is delisted. I have one unobtainable on my profile and I have a bunch of online trophies in various games I will probably never get around to getting. But that doesn't stop me from enjoying the games I play.

Challenges are good because they strive players to try harder. I understand that not everyone likes a lot of challenges and that's perfectly fine. But when it reaches the point when you no longer enjoy trophy hunting, or you can't get past the hurdle, then maybe you should take a break and find a different hobby or activity to get involved in.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Spaz said:

That is a numbers game. You can argue that both easy games and going after ultra rares are numbers games, but I think we can all agree on which one deserves a bit more respect.

I don't know about that. The person playing playing easy games might legitimately enjoy those games, while the one collecting URs might just be showing off or have more time on his or her hands. All other things considered equal, I would probably have more respect to the person who doesn't care about arbitrary numbers.

Saying Gods of Egypt is one of the worst movies you've ever seen should mean you didn't enjoy it at all.

What you're referring to is the so bad it's good effect. It's intentionally bad but you got some enjoyment out of watching the film.

This is mostly semantics, but the point was that you can enjoy something, even if it may not seem enjoyable. That's one example. There are a lot of tear-jerkers out there that are uncomfortable to sit through, but they're really good movies. There are games like that too. Spec Ops: The Line is a game that, I think for some, is not an enjoyable experience. But it's a great game. Just because you might be miserable for part of it doesn't take away from the overall experience. In fact, it enhances it. That's the point I was getting to.

Challenges are good because they strive players to try harder. I understand that not everyone likes a lot of challenges and that's perfectly fine. But when it reaches the point when you no longer enjoy trophy hunting, or you can't get past the hurdle, then maybe you should take a break and find a different hobby or activity to get involved in.

I agree with that, but that has to do with the individual. This topic has largely been about how some people judge the profiles of others.

Edited by Cassylvania

29 minutes ago, Cassylvania said:

This topic has largely been about how some people judge the profiles of others.

So many of these topics are really that in disguise. 

Not intentionally, but egos get stirred up when ppl say what they think is the “best”, or the “perfect”, or what they “respect the most or the least” etc.  As anyone can see, someone will have a different point of view. 

Like who cares? And what qualifies anyone to be the judge of others anyway? ‘Iron sharpens iron’ but nobody ever wins an ego contest. 

When it comes to gaming profiles, we could just let the truth speak for itself. It is what it is and that’s all that it is.  In the words of Popeye, “I am what I am and that’s all that I am”. 

Thankfully neither I nor you are defined by our digital profiles. ?

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

I don't know about that. The person playing playing easy games might legitimately enjoy those games, while the one collecting URs might just be showing off or have more time on his or her hands. All other things considered equal, I would probably have more respect to the person who doesn't care about arbitrary numbers.

Games like The Walking Dead, I can understand that.

But when I see a dozen stacks of Steins Gate, or see at least 50 - 100 games of Japanese visual novels that were all done within 10 - 60 minutes, I don't really think they were actually legitimately enjoying those games. They're doing that to inflate their trophy count and try to reach a higher rank on the leaderboards.

If you enjoy The Walking Dead and decide to stack the same game on another console, that's fine. I did that with Murdered Soul Suspect because I enjoy crime based video games.

You can't assume people who collect ultra rares are just showing off or have more time on their hands. They might enjoy the challenge.

Personally when I see someone who completed a ridiculous game like Crypt of the Necrodancer or 100 percented Cloudberry Kingdom, I think they deserve at the very least some respect. Most people don't care anyway, but for those who do I think it's only fair that difficult games garner a little more respect on those who have fully completed them.

I cannot say the same for the endless amounts of shovelware games on Steam, or the dozens upon dozens of shit, crappy games that are making their way onto PSN, and therefore can be completely very easily.

1 hour ago, Cassylvania said:

This is mostly semantics, but the point was that you can enjoy something, even if it may not seem enjoyable. That's one example. There are a lot of tear-jerkers out there that are uncomfortable to sit through, but they're really good movies. There are games like that too. Spec Ops: The Line is a game that, I think for some, is not an enjoyable experience. But it's a great game. Just because you might be miserable for part of it doesn't take away from the overall experience. In fact, it enhances it. That's the point I was getting to.

A large part of that is because you don't know how this video game, this song, this movie or whatever is going to turn out for you.

I have to disagree on tear-jerkers. If I think this movie is one of the worst movies I ever seen, there is absolutely no redeeming value on it. Nothing. I didn't like anything about that movie.

Certain movies, like Scary Movie, were meant to be bad but I find enjoyable because it's stupid. It's comedy, it's a spoof on many horror movies that came before it. A movie that I would consider to be the worst would be a film I would see once or twice and decide never to see again.

And there are countless movies out there that have an uncomfortable scene. There may be a scene in one of the Lord of the Rings movies you don't like, but everything else about it is enjoyable. There's a couple scenes in the Harry Potter movies that I don't like at all, but overall I've enjoyed all the films Warner Bros made on the franchise.

If something isn't enjoyable, then I'm probably not going to like the game. Period. A terrible movie is something that is bad beginning to end. Thankfully most movies aren't that way.

I think you're trying to say Spec Ops: The Line is miserable because it's difficult for some, or it has a certain part in the story that is cringeworthy. I have the game and will platinum it at some point.

55 minutes ago, journaltalk said:

So many of these topics are really that in disguise. 

Not intentionally, but egos get stirred up when ppl say what they think is the “best”, or the “perfect”, or what they “respect the most or the least” etc.  As anyone can see, someone will have a different point of view. 

Like who cares? And what qualifies anyone to be the judge of others anyway? ‘Iron sharpens iron’ but nobody ever wins an ego contest. 

When it comes to gaming profiles, we could just let the truth speak for itself. It is what it is and that’s all that it is.  In the words of Popeye, “I am what I am and that’s all that I am”. 

Thankfully neither I nor you are defined by our digital profiles. 1f605.png

To start off with, most people don't care about trophies at all.

I see tons of gaming profiles every day on a daily basis that I couldn't care less about. What it comes down to is you caring about your own profile. But since I am a member of this website, I do think that those of us who are active on these forums on PSNPROFILES do in a sense care.

If I didn't care then I wouldn't be here, I would just move on to something else.

I seriously wonder why some people are even on here if they don't care that much to begin with. Yeah sure, this is a website that tracks our trophies, something that Sony will never truly care for because that's not their business. But I do think that it's good to hear others express their opinions, even if they are opinions I don't like all too much.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, Spaz said:

If I didn't care then I wouldn't be here, I would just move on to something else.

uhhh...  there is such a thing as  ‘caring’ too much though. When you pick apart everything that anyone says and seem to lack the ability to accept anyone else’s point of view. When you yell and curse and storm out your opinions at others on a regular basis. Or argue your opinion into the ground and seemingly try to hurt ppl’s feelings intentionally.

You definitely care about gaming and are good at it. No one will argue that much. But you don’t seem to care about other ppl’s feelings while you’re callously ranting out your thoughts. Not my definition of care btw. 

But yeah, I care enough to tell you what I think.  And I care about you. But I do get tired of hearing the judgements and condemnations on others come across ever so subtly (not just by you).

No harm done, though, I’ve learned to take the BS with a grain of salt and just have fun. 

100% completion is, to me, the ideal.  But, not something I see as necessarily realistic.  Some games have bugged or unachievable trophies.  Some games have multiplayer trophies and shut down servers.   Some games are just too hard, or get boring. 

Unless you research every game before you plug it in at some point you'll bump into a trophy you can't or don't want to get.

Hats off to those to manage it, but I understand that a great many people couldn't care less about completion rate. 

I personally love the idea of a 100% completion rate and it's something that I hope to attain at some point.

Every game I own is a game I want to play. I don't see the value of buying easy games to simply bolster my trophy level. If I had time and was going for number 1 trophy leader, that would be a different story. Then I'd buy and play everything... but I would not simply play only easy stuff. 

I respect accounts that have UR or very difficult trophies, especially those with high completion rates, because I know the time and dedication required to achieve them. To say something like 'oh, if I had the time and money, I could do it too' in my opinion is ridiculous. I don't think anyone could simply do it if they had time... which is why when I see a profile with games like Street Fighter 4, the Ninja Gaiden games, Battlefantasia, Capcom Arcade, etc or White Knight Chronicles, etc, I'm impressed by them. These are things I look up and think are impressive.

Also, something to remember, this is a website whose primary purpose is to showcase trophy leaderboards. which includes most trophies. Naturally people way at the top will have a lot of easy games. However, there's also a different calibre within those top guys. You only need to see the completion % or UR count to notice these differences. I'm also not sure why people say things like 'who cares about trophies' on a trophy website.

Edited by kraven_15
  • Like 3

21 hours ago, journaltalk said:

uhhh...  there is such a thing as  ‘caring’ too much though. When you pick apart everything that anyone says and seem to lack the ability to accept anyone else’s point of view. When you yell and curse and storm out your opinions at others on a regular basis. Or argue your opinion into the ground and seemingly try to hurt ppl’s feelings intentionally.

You definitely care about gaming and are good at it. No one will argue that much. But you don’t seem to care about other ppl’s feelings while you’re callously ranting out your thoughts. Not my definition of care btw. 

But yeah, I care enough to tell you what I think.  And I care about you. But I do get tired of hearing the judgements and condemnations on others come across ever so subtly (not just by you).

No harm done, though, I’ve learned to take the BS with a grain of salt and just have fun. 

There is such a thing as harsh criticism, which all of us must take at some point if we’re going to succeed in life.

Outspoken? Yes, that’s just who I am as a person. 

On one hand I see people on this thread who are taking the 100 percent completion angle far too seriously, while I see others who don’t care but decide to post on here saying we’re all taking this far out of context. 

You haven’t posted much, but if this bothers you too much then I would just let it go.

Edited by Spaz

On 8/10/2018 at 7:06 PM, Spaz said:

Only a select few people really care about putting rare trophies on their profile, just because they're rare. A minority within a minority.

Personally I have a bit more respect for those who worked hard to earn their trophies, rather than be a guy like Hakoom or Roughdawg4 who intentionally stack hundreds of Japanese visual novels just to maintain their world ranking on the leaderboards. I could do that too, provided I had thousands of dollars I can just spend on to inflate my trophy count and get tons of platinums that virtually anybody can do by just mashing buttons to get through the games as quick as possible.

Have you actually looked at either of their profiles to see the games they are playing?  They have actually done quite a bit amount of hard games.  Yeah they play easy stuff but they also play a decent amount of hard stuff as well. 

To place either of them 100% in one category would be an ignorant statement.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, PViddy said:

Have you actually looked at either of their profiles to see the games they are playing?  They have actually done quite a bit amount of hard games.  Yeah they play easy stuff but they also play a decent amount of hard stuff as well. 

To place either of them 100% in one category would be an ignorant statement.

I was thinking this too actually... Rough's profile maintains an almost 100% completion rate and includes games across a vast array of difficulties. When you have such a high number or trophies, you're inevitably going to have a lot of easy games...his profile however, also includes a lot of very tough games or long grindy games too. 

In my honest opinion though... 100% PROFILES ARE OVERRATED... its just an OCD thing if you ask me... Having to maintain a perfect profile is too much work bc you have to look into games before playing them to make sure there are no glitched trophies... plus it also means that you wont play a game like Battlefield Hardline bc of the 40k kills dlc... you miss out on too many good games bc you are too afraid of not having a 100% profile... complete waste of time and energy... no one really cares about 100% profile really, only others with 100% lol... I get alot of my recognition for the amount of Ultra Rare trophies... Just like my boy Roughdawg... he has like 200 more than me but still, URs is where its at... I find I cant keep playing these bullshit ass easy games as much bc I need a challenge... I have a backlog of nearly 5,000 games and thats no bullshit... i'll never get to all of them but I wanna start getting to some of them bc there are quite a few games with URs I must have.